• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKX31

Smash Master
Like I said yesterday, you probably want to prepare yourself to wait a little longer than that. If a character like Joker was able to crash the fragile Nintendo servers, imagine what Steve will do to them after he already crashed the far more robust Twitter servers (and Smashboards).
In other words, the next evolution of #FixUltimateOnline is #FixNintendosServers?

Well, it's a much better hashtag than #Pokemonmastersex.

That wouldn't be an issue since Koei Tecmo wouldn't be the ones to do the negotiations.

Though if royalties are involved for the character's use then it's 100% Ganondorf or someone new.
If Ganondorf is the main bad guy again - and thus the most likely villain to see multiple movesets - I kinda want to see Falcondorf as one of his movesets (alongside his standard Hyrule Warriors moveset and perhaps one that focuses more on the mage aspects).

And if anyone asks why, I'm kind of a Falcondorf fan and want to see Ganondorf be able to moonwalk all over the place again.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Speaking of new movesets, what I want to see for Smash 6 is for the movesets of the original 8 to be take back to the drawing board.

Mario could have a ton of different movesets.
-A power-up based one based off Super Mario Bros 3.
-One where he's riding Yoshi based off World
-One where Mario makes use of Fludd with a water mater to manage based off Sunshine
-ect, ect

Link could have movesets based off of different incarnations of the hero, letting BotW Link have a much crazier moveset

Samus could actually turn into her morph ball form as a stance change and use the spider ball and boost ball powers

Kirby could use any number of powers from his games.

And Fox can go on foot or just drive the freaking Landmaster about.

7NATOR

Smash Master
For what it's worth, I think I found another sign that another Partner Showcase might be coming up:

Also, insert joke about Apex Legends in Smash here.
I'm gonna be Honest, Even without the "rumors" of Apex in Smash, I think there is some Validity to that actually Happening. BR Shooters like Apex are now one of the Biggest Genres, and Sakurai has played alot of Apex so he's at least Familiar with how it works, and how it could potentially work in Smash

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
How popular is Apex Legends in Japan?
I Don't know exactly Because I'm not into Apex like that (I'm not a Shooter guy), but From what I've just tried to Research, it seems like there is Audience there, as well as Korea and other Asian countries (Apparently China also has Massive Cheating Problem or Something).

I Look more into it

Strife

Banned via Warnings
I'm actually not sure Steve will crash the servers.

After Joker, I'm assuming the servers got an upgrade. Hero & Banjo, who I suspect would have gotten more if not as least as much downloads as Joker, released just fine without issue. For those of you who work in IT, you should know after a production level crash due to capacity, a upgrade or uplift typically follows after that.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Joker didn’t crash the servers. The reason we couldn’t get a hold of Joker was because internkun, Carl as he was referred to back then, decide to put maintenance up on the servers at the exact time Joker released. Then after it was over downloads took FOREVER because of how many people were trying to download him.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Joker didn’t crash the servers. The reason we couldn’t get a hold of Joker was because internkun, Carl as he was referred to back then, decide to put maintenance up on the servers at the exact time Joker released. Then after it was over downloads took FOREVER because of how many people were trying to download him.
Oh, so that's why

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I'm betting this is actually Ganondorf.

It would explain why the Yiga are loyal to him.

It would explain his relationship to malice.

It would explain the Gerudo features and clothing.

I'm predicting Ganondorf unleashes Calamity Ganon by willingly using that device we saw on the BOTW2 trailer.
I thought Calamity Ganon was the result of Ganondorf being resurrected too early by artificial means

SirCamp

Smash Ace
Assuming that none of these characters are DLC for Smash Ultimate:
  • Waluigi
  • Captain Toad
  • Bandana Waddle Dee
  • Dixie Kong
  • Gen 9 Pokemon
  • Octoling
  • Spring Man (assuming ARMS keeps going, which it probably will)
  • Issac
  • Ring Fit Adventurer (assuming Ring Fit Adventure keeps going, which it probably will)
  • Akira Howard (assuming Astral Chain keeps going, which it probably will)
  • Jill and/or Leon
  • Dante (assuming his current popularity keeps up)
  • Heihachi
  • Lloyd
  • Crash Bandicoot (assuming his current popularity keeps up)
  • Master Chief
This is a really good list. Though I would also add:

Bomberman (feels like a near lock given popularity and the goodies he got this go around. Other characters I think just got priority)

Pauline (depending on her role in Mario games going forward).

SKX31

Smash Master
How popular is Apex Legends in Japan?
Googles.

It apparently is popular there. The Apex Asia servers are seemingly mainly Japanese and GamStat notes that the Japanese PS4 playerbase makes up 9 % of Apex's total PS4 playerbase and it's relatively more popular in Japan than average. GamStat tracks the trophy count, so I'd call that a decently reliable marker. There are also Japanese pro Apex players, with Japan and South Korea being grouped into the APAC North region.

I'd say there's quite a decent amount of evidence showing that. Maybe not huge like the mobile Knives Out is over there, but Apex has evidently established a major foothold in Japan.

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master
The servers when Steve is released:
View attachment 289171
The road at end, that leads to the road, that leads to downloading Steve:
View attachment 289172
True that. I am considering Steve's release for Wednesday rather than today. The servers are going to crash (It usually takes 30 mins even with non-popular characters to actually get the Switch to figure it out and start the DL patch). They don't come out with the character until 8/9 and I have to be up for school. Yeah, this is a Wednesday release for me.

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
I can't believe that we are this close to a new Smash-character. I won't get the chance to play Steve until later that day,
but i guess the servers should be okay at that point in time...unless a certain someone will hack the nintendo servers again like with Joker last year.

futaba.png

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Yeah, I'm also hoping I can just update the game before the major crash. Judging by how big Steve is though, if the character is out long enough for you to start seeing gameplay videos, it's probably too late.

Hopefully Nintendo is ready for the sheer volume of people downloading stuff.
I'd imagine Nintendo would take notes from a big crash, realizing they need better server management. Idk.

If Smash Bros was on Xbox or Playstation, and Steve was being released today, would their servers suffer or could they handle the traffic better than Nintendo?

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Did Carl learn his lesson from then?

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I will say that Apex Legends unlike most BR games does have distinct characters so it's got that going for it.
Then again, we're 4 hours away from getting Minecraft's playable avatar who'd only backstory is that he got his clothes off a zombie so who's to say?

Spongeboob

Smash Ace
A hot dog stand at the end of time and space
Switch FC
SW-5063-7952-1131
1600026668104.png
Speaking of new movesets, what I want to see for Smash 6 is for the movesets of the original 8 to be take back to the drawing board.

-One where Mario makes use of Fludd with a water mater to manage based off Sunshine
-ect, ect

Link could have movesets based off of different incarnations of the hero, letting BotW Link have a much crazier moveset

Samus could actually turn into her morph ball form as a stance change and use the spider ball and boost ball powers

I agree and disagree with this. I wouldn't throw away their current movesets, but I'd give them new movesets in addition to their current ones.

Post your opinion that will get this kind of reaction from Smash community!

"Japan" argument should be dropped altogether. It's not that important market. Several popular western franchises can more do than make up for Japanese market.
You've probably heard all of these before, but I'll post this anyway.
WeIcome to the Roster SpecuIation thread! Here, you'II find:
  • Crash, Geno, Rayman
  • The same 10 or so circIejerked characters (an echo chamber, if you will)
  • CompIaining about how said characters get circIejerked
  • Character from a recent or upcoming reIease
  • (Popular Game) boogeyman
  • FOTM characters
  • People don't even play the game(s) they want in (especially true for the echo chamber)
  • People don't even play Smash
  • Trying to find patterns
  • Leak of the day
  • Getting IabeIed "pedo" and "******" for Iiking certain characters (ArIe, Reimu, etc.)
  • "Evidence" for a character getting in
  • "Here's how (character) can stiII win" (both ironicaIIy and unironicaIIy) (usuaIIy from SmashBoards)
  • CompIaining about ****ty mods (especiaIIy on /v/)
  • CompIaining about muh representation (especiaIIy on ResetEra but it happens here too sometimes)
  • FE wars
  • "lt's (character)'s turn!"
  • lronically saying :ultmario: is/should be in
  • PeopIe compIaining about how roster specuIation sucks
  • ****-sucki- er, I mean Thanking daddy Soccer-Guy after a character is reveaIed (then start taIking about the next character after about a week or so)
  • Some peopIe are super bored so they start discussing the next game even though the current game is stiII aIive
  • Thread games (those can be fun to some extent so they're fine)
Also, insert joke about Apex Legends in Smash here.
Sorry, l can't... aII of the jokes have been done already the Iast 100+ times a game got announced on Switch.

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
I will say that Apex Legends unlike most BR games does have distinct characters so it's got that going for it.
Then again, we're 4 hours away from getting Minecraft's playable avatar who'd only backstory is that he got his clothes off a zombie so who's to say?
What!? Wait... WHAT!?

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Hey, do we have a concrete time for Steve's release yet? Or are we going by past fighters' standard release times?
Around 6PM PDT. It's when the other DLC characters were released. It's also based on timezones as Europe and Japan as their timezones is already the next day. We have October 13th and they have October 14th for Steve's release.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
[

-ect, ect

Can we have clone characters that preserve the old moveset? Keep Young Link, Dark Samus, and Pichu, and add Toad (I can't think of a better Mario clone ) Funky Kong, Shadow Kirby, Boshi/Birdo, and James McCloud

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Around 6PM PDT. It's when the other DLC characters were released. It's also based on timezones as Europe and Japan as their timezones is already the next day. We have October 13th and they have October 14th for Steve's release.
I must be forgetting about daylight savings, because I remember Plant, Joker, and Byleth coming out at 5PM Pacific. Thank you!

-ect, ect

Just some crazy possibilities:

Shirtless Sledgehammer Link
Buff Dedede
Wind Waker Ganondorf
Mario Kart Luigi (he's still mad to this day)
Rocket Launcher DK
Surfing Pikachu
Jigglypuff with a marker
Sword Sonic

These may or may not be terrible ideas.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
[

Can we have clone characters that preserve the old moveset? Keep Young Link, Dark Samus, and Pichu, and add Toad (I can't think of a better Mario clone ) Funky Kong, Shadow Kirby, Boshi/Birdo, and James McCloud
Sure, why remove content?

Mario's current moveset can be the one representing Super Mario Bros 1, Ocarina Link can keep the original Link moveset and Samus can have any number of suits.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
With all this talk of servers potentially crashing, does that mean that my Switch might not even be able to realize that there's an update for the game?

SKX31

Smash Master
Oddly popular, and it's gotten an even bigger recent resurgence after popular Vtubers latched onto it.
Either it leads to a surprise character...

Or it leads right into nothing at all.

Either way, we're gonna have fun running the #ApexInSmash insanity into the ground.

Just some crazy possibilities:

Jigglypuff with a marker

These may or may not be terrible ideas.
No, that's an amazing idea. Just imagine Jigglypuff players doing strings like this:

Down-Air -> Tech-Chase Sing -> Marker -> Up-Air -> Tech-Chase Sing again -> Marker a second time -> Up-Tilt -> Rest.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
i'm playing the final battle in wol and oh god is steve going to be a nightmare to use in that platforming section. sakurai can we please get a boss rush mode so that we don't have to go through that.
Seeing as how boss spirits can’t be rematched, I think we might get a boss rush...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom