• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
On one hand, we got SwoShi as DLC spirits. On the other hand, the first pass is unique as it's the only time a Pokemon wasn't added in Smash and Pokemon's always been a special exception to Sakurai's typical design philosophy
But on the other hand, the only Pokemon that was added to Smash 4's DLC was a veteran, and it was specifically because it was a veteran and thus had high fan demand (especially after Dr. Mario) that it was added, not because it was a Pokemon. So technically, we've never had a Pokemon newcomer as DLC anyway, that special treatment seems to be only for the base game regardless.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Lets say hypothetically the crash document leak is real. Would that mean that pass 2 was decided in 2018? and thus any characters discussed by their characters afterwards would be deconfirmed because they would be under NDA?
I think that would fall under the theory of "A couple characters were planned after FP1, and the rest of FP2 were added afterwards." I don't think FP2 was planned that far in advance.

SKX31

Smash Master
Whether this game, or the next, I definitely would be over the moon if they added Blaze the Cat for Sma-

Pelted with foxes plushies, eggs, and unopened razor blades

Agh! Okay, okay I get it sheesh!
Would not mind Blaze at all, although she's been underutilized as hell (But which Sonic character outside of Sonic and Eggman hasn't?). I do wonder how Blaze would function in Smash considering she'd take a lot of cues from Rush most likely.

I give people until the end of the day to realize they'll never figure out how to use Steve and drop him like a brick.
Hold on, lemme just publish my pre-release Steve flowchart (in text form) and ruin online even further:

1. GO!
  2. Uhhh... Mine materials! Is the opponent bumrushing you? Y] See step 3. N] Continue mining.
  3. Place a couple blocks in the air to hinder your opponent. Then continue mining.
  4. Now, is the opponent trying to approach you and break the blocks / crafting table? Y] Either swing your sword / axe, or use Elytra as an escape. N] Continue mining.
  5. Have you gotten Diamond or 4 pieces of Iron yet? Y] See step 15 for Diamond, step 13 for Iron. N] See step 2.
  6. Is the opponent trying to projectile spam? Y] See Step 3. N] See Step 4.
  7. Can you upgrade your weapons safely? Y] Do so! N] Place a couple blocks and summon the crafting table. See Step 2.
  8. Has your weapon been broken? Y] See Step 3. N] Make sure to craft, then continue mining.
  9. Is the opponent knocked off stage? Y] Spam D Tilt at ledge. N] Continue mining.
  10. Are you hit? Y] Place a mid air block and make them guess where you're going to land. Make sure to land where you can [See Step 2] or [See Step 7]. N] See step 2.
  11. How much dirt / wood / stone do you have? Lots] See step 3. Not much] See step 2.
  12. Have you gotten redstone yet? Y] Lay TNT at ledge ASAP for the sick edgeguard. N] See step 2.
  13. Have you gotten 4 Pieces of Iron yet? Y] Great! Get some more Iron so you can spam Minecart and Down Air fools. N] See step 2.
  14. Have you gotten Gold weapons yet? Y] Swing your sword and buy time to mine. N] See step 2.
  15. Have you gotten Diamond yet? Y] STEVE CRAFT DIAMOND WEAPON! STEVE SPAM FSMASH! N] See Step 2.

Last edited:

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Lets say hypothetically the crash document leak is real. Would that mean that pass 2 was decided in 2018? and thus any characters discussed by their characters afterwards would be deconfirmed because they would be under NDA?
Nah. Crash could potentially have been requested by Activision for Base Game, but never happened because of his "too new" status at the time (N. Sane Triology was released a Year and a half before Smash was).

So there's a mysterious 'new' character in the latest Hyrule Warriors AoC trailer/promo. It looks like it could be a new version of Vaati...

... idk but the color scheme of the character, especially the red and yellow eye, makes me think it could be him.

AoC1.png
AoC2.png

Vaati.jpg

Obviously it could be someone else entirely and it doesn't mean anything concrete for Smash (except... y'know... another character or version of a character to add to the pile of potential newcomers). Anyways, just wanted to drop by and share the info.

Happy Steve day btw!

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Even if the Crash document is real, it doesn't mean that Crash is actually planned for Smash Bros. Since it was outlining a plan to resurrect Crash back to his former glory, naturally bringing him to the biggest gaming crossover in the world would be a great move. But that isn't Activision's call, that's Nintendo's.

So it strikes me more as an idealistic stretch goal than anything else. Not to say that it couldn't have panned out after all, if Smash is even a part of this document - which is suspicious to begin with, since the Crash doc has been known for some time now but only recently have people mentioned Smash being a part of it. But yeah, I think people put too much stock in what x or y company wants but that doesn't mean all that much if Nintendo doesn't want it themselves.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
So there's a mysterious 'new' character in the latest Hyrule Warriors AoC trailer/promo. It looks like it could be a new version of Vaati...

... idk but the color scheme of the character, especially the red and yellow eye, makes me think it could be him.

View attachment 289151View attachment 289153

View attachment 289154

Obviously it could be someone else entirely and it doesn't mean anything concrete for Smash (except... y'know... another character or version of a character to add to the pile of potential newcomers). Anyways, just wanted to drop by and share the info.

Happy Steve day btw!
You Know, If this is a New Version of Vaati, That would be weird, considering the Bad Blood of Koei and Capcom and that Vaati comes from a Capcom made Legend of Zelda game. If it is, I guess it could be a Situation of Koei trying to one up Capcom by Making a better version of the character, or they perhaps made up?

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

View attachment 289154

Happy Steve day btw!
Honestly looks more like Yuga to me, but I can see the Vaati similarities...

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

View attachment 289154

Happy Steve day btw!
Looks more like a version of Aganhim to me.

7NATOR

Smash Master
You know, if that Crash Document is real and Activision did request Crash be in, that is good for Crash's chances

But I don't think that means he is in the game. After all saying you want him in game and actually negotiating are different things, because The Money involved and all that jazz. At the least if Crash isn't in Smash Ultimate, he's probably VERY Likely for Smash 6 so long as Crash doesn't die again

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman

View attachment 289154

Happy Steve day btw!
Even if it's not Vaati/Agahnim/Yuga/What-have-you, I'm glad to see more wizards in Zelda.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
But on the other hand, the only Pokemon that was added to Smash 4's DLC was a veteran, and it was specifically because it was a veteran and thus had high fan demand (especially after Dr. Mario) that it was added, not because it was a Pokemon. So technically, we've never had a Pokemon newcomer as DLC anyway, that special treatment seems to be only for the base game regardless.
The thing with Smash 4 is that his DLC cycle was very short (starting early 2015 with Mewtwo and ending early 2016 with Bayonetta). With that short time, Pokémon didn't have any new game (not conting spin-off). Sun/Moon released later in 2016. I think that we can't really compare Smash 4 dlc with Ultimate.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Trolling/bait
The thing with Smash 4 is that his DLC cycle was very short (starting early 2015 with Mewtwo and ending early 2016 with Bayonetta). With that short time, Pokémon didn't have any new game (not conting spin-off). Sun/Moon released later in 2016. I think that we can't really compare Smash 4 dlc with Ultimate.
Mushroomguy is the kind of person who'd complain that one more Pokemon isn't ten more Fire Emblem reps, of course he'd try to think one can't happen.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
But that's the point. People say that Pokemon will always get a newcomer in every round of characters releases no matter what. While that has been true for every base game, it certainly doesn't have to be for the DLC, and the one bit of evidence for Smash 4's DLC wasn't actually evidence at all because Mewtwo was a veteran who got in because of his fan demand rather than his series.

Mushroomguy is the kind of person who'd complain that one more Pokemon isn't ten more Fire Emblem reps, of course he'd try to think one can't happen.
Thanks for telling me how I feel about Pokemon and Fire Emblem reps! I didn't know I wanted 10 more of them, but I guess since your comment said so, I guess I do!

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master

View attachment 289154

Looks more like a version of Aganhim to me.
Gasp.

Does this mean that Volvo will get a character into Age of Calamity? :4pacman:

Even if it's not Vaati/Agahnim/Yuga/What-have-you, I'm glad to see more wizards in Zelda.
Pretty much, although it's going to be interesting how they'll use this character. Hopefully they'll do something a little more than "Oh Zant and Ghirahim ressurect Ganondorf and gave him L'Oreal" (although the L'Oreal was nice, NGL) and maybe have this character at least do something in BOTW 2 so we don't wind up with another Zelda character that's confined to... well, being a short-term character.

It'd also be nice if they ressurected one of those characters you mentioned though.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

View attachment 289154

Happy Steve day btw!
Other then the head peice looking like his belt, this looks more like Yuga or that dude from skyward sword to me

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I do miss the days when we’d have a new character to look forward to as soon as one released. Hero, Banjo, and Terry, even Piranha Plant and Joker all had this satisfaction that we knew who was next.
I'm with Shroob Shroob in thinking next year will be better in this regard. I could easily see come January reveals picking up the pace and us getting a more consistent schedule like last year had.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Hey guys, are we ready to see the eShop servers die an explosive death today?
The fact this can happen is why I'm gonna wait until tomorrow to check Steve out.

Joker may have been a one and done considering some intern decided to have maintenance at the exact same time, but never underestimate the power of cobranding.

SonicMario

Smash Master
I had a nightmare(?) last night that Peachette was the final FP2 character.
I could see Peachette happening in a way... but that requires Toadette being one of the final 4. With Peachette as a final smash. I've been kind of wary of Toadette popping up in almost every new Mario thing (Even being the fourth wheel in Mario Maker 2). It will only add to suspicions if Toadette is a new playable character in the 3D World port.

Not that I think it's that likely, but she's one of the first parties in the back of my mind at least.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

View attachment 289154

Happy Steve day btw!
I'm betting this is actually Ganondorf.

It would explain why the Yiga are loyal to him.

It would explain his relationship to malice.

It would explain the Gerudo features and clothing.

I'm predicting Ganondorf unleashes Calamity Ganon by willingly using that device we saw on the BOTW2 trailer.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
So, do we have a ballpark on when exactly Steve is going to release or do we have to wait for the sound of the Nintendo's servers getting nuked?
Here you go

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I'm betting this is actually Ganondorf.

It would explain why the Yiga are loyal to him.

It would explain his relationship to malice.

It would explain the Gerudo features and clothing.

I'm predicting Ganondorf unleashes Calamity Ganon by willingly using that device we saw on the BOTW2 trailer.
Now that you mention it, that sounds like the most likely outcome. I don't think he'll release Calamity Ganon since he is Calamity Ganon, or at least, the source of it, but he does make the most sense from a lore perspective, and it would be odd to see Yuga show up since Lowrule doesn't seem to be a thing at the moment. Vaati is the second most likely outcome though, because iirc the whole unleashing Ganon thing is his shtick.

It could be possible that this is Vaati, and Ganondorf will be shown off later.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Now that you mention it, that sounds like the most likely outcome. I don't think he'll release Calamity Ganon since he is Calamity Ganon, or at least, the source of it, but he does make the most sense from a lore perspective, and it would be odd to see Yuga show up since Lowrule doesn't seem to be a thing at the moment. Vaati is the second most likely outcome though, because iirc the whole unleashing Ganon thing is his shtick.

It could be possible that this is Vaati, and Ganondorf will be shown off later.
Vaati is owned by Capcom, who has a known feud with Koei Tecmo.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
6 more hours...
Like I said yesterday, you probably want to prepare yourself to wait a little longer than that. If a character like Joker was able to crash the fragile Nintendo servers, imagine what Steve will do to them after he already crashed the far more robust Twitter servers (and Smashboards).

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Like I said yesterday, you probably want to prepare yourself to wait a little longer than that. If a character like Joker was able to crash the fragile Nintendo servers, imagine what Steve will do to them after he already crashed the far more robust Twitter servers (and Smashboards).
I've got FP2, so hopefully I have no issue getting onto Smash. I thankfully do not need to visit the eShop. But I'd imagine Smash online is going to be screwed.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I've got FP2, so hopefully I have no issue getting onto Smash. I thankfully do not need to visit the eShop. But I'd imagine Smash online is going to be screwed.
Yeah, I'm also hoping I can just update the game before the major crash. Judging by how big Steve is though, if the character is out long enough for you to start seeing gameplay videos, it's probably too late.

Hopefully Nintendo is ready for the sheer volume of people downloading stuff.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom