• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Level-5's troubles aren't surprising, but as a huge fan of their output it's still rough to hear. I doubt the company will go down though, so worst case scenario their games only release in Japan and Europe. I hope that they go back to their publishing arrangements with Nintendo and Bandai Namco, that was when they did best anyway.

For Smash though? This has zero impact. Characters were picked long before this was a thing, and even if their Western troubles were known back then, all of their realistic candidates already have plenty of worldwide release dates. This is no Takamaru situation, that's an absurd comparison. The most we can glean from this is that there's no Layton game coming out soon (as that series would absolutely have plans for a Western release), but it's not like Layton needs the promotional angle anyway.

cashregister9

Smash Hero

Post your opinion that will get this kind of reaction from Smash community!

"Japan" argument should be dropped altogether. It's not that important market. Several popular western franchises can more do than make up for Japanese market.
Assist trophies are major parts of the game, And should be celebrated. Just because they are not playable does not mean they are lesser characters, Mii costumes and potential promotions would just take away from this mechanic and make it seem like they don't matter.

WOL was fun.

Pokemon and other first parties are not inherently negative just because you don't want them.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Mii costumes and potential promotions would just take away from this mechanic
You know what else takes away from the mechanic? Thinking a tiny Knuckles running in the background is more important than one that actually affects gameplay.

SKX31

Smash Master
Personally, I'm fine with a new Smash game as long as it shakes up the formula and emphasizes newcomers and veteran revamps. It's clear Ultimate is the peak of Smash up to now, so it would be better to do something different and not be stuck in SSBU's shadow.
You know what, yeah veteran revamps could be key. And it'd be a great time for Sakurai and co. to go back and revisit some concepts that didn't make it on. So my personal opinion:

• Please dump these characters and rework them ASAP: :ultsonic: :ultlittlemac: :ulttoonlink: :ultswordfighter:
  • Could really, really use new moves or changes please: :ultganondorf: :ultyounglink: :ultbowserjr: :ultlucario: :ultisabelle: :ultwiifittrainer:
  • No rush, but they'd benefit from new moves too: :ultwario: :ultpiranha: :ultkirby: :ultkingdedede: :ultzelda:
  • Echoes that'd benefit from new moves: :ultdaisy: :ultdarksamus: :ultdarkpit:

A character's long term impact within the Smash series (competitive impact etc.) is more important than just getting the character in.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
For me sorta the reverse. I think it would be nice to have some niche picks that can appeal to the Japanese audience in the game like Reimu.
I personally think a specific-appeal audience game could get by if they're that big. If we're using Reimu as an example, Touhou is stupid big in Japan, to the point it has a convention all to itself.

Then again, it's also partially fueled by my gut hunch towards an indie rep, which is probably going to get me slammed. If it helps, Touhou also has a lot of influence in the doujin scene as well, so perhaps that could give it a bit of extra credence under their belt?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
On a side note, think we’ll be getting a partner mini this week?

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Quick question. Since Steve is releasing tomorrow, does that mean he will be available on the eShop tonight along with the new update?

For example, I'm on the east coast of the US, and typically when a new game is releasing, it is made available around 12am EST. I'd hope Steve would be the same case, because I wanna try him out before I go to bed!

BlondeLombax

Smash Master

"Japan" argument should be dropped altogether. It's not that important market. Several popular western franchises can more do than make up for Japanese market.
  • Anybody is allowed to join the roster, so long as they come from a video game.
  • Echo Fighters are a brilliant idea, even before they got the proper term coined
  • Considering how utterly massive the franchise is, along with how popular it's been becoming in recent years, I'm hardly bothered by the overabundance of Fire Emblem content in the game right now
  • I want so see Smash Bros. go multiplatform one day. It'll likely never happen, but if it did, it would open hundreds of floodgates
  • I was a Dark Pit main in Sm4sh, fite me
  • There's no such thing as too much anime

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Quick question. Since Steve is releasing tomorrow, does that mean he will be available on the eShop tonight along with the new update?

For example, I'm on the east coast of the US, and typically when a new game is releasing, it is made available around 12am EST. I'd hope Steve would be the same case, because I wanna try him out before I go to bed!
I’ve been checking the Nintendo maintenance page and nothing still. Don’t they usually announce maintenances several days before they drop a character?

cause boi it’s gonna NEED maintenance with the crazy amounts of traffic

Eldrake

Smash Lord
It's really down to what one prioritizes "Should a game be patched / evolved continously for a long time" or "Should a game get a new iteration instead"?

Now I don't think it's a bad idea at all, but I'm admittedly colored by my past as a Dota player and very much used to the live service formula when it's successfully applied. I'd argue that with enough patches / changes it's essentially a new game: Modern LoL / Dota 2 are not the games they were at release, nor are games like Counter-Strike the game it was 20 years ago (oh boy, loads of changes there). And they're still widely played. Hell, Melee's widely played even without patches.

But on the other hand, a new iteration can certainly feel much fresher, especially if there's enough meat on the bones. I do understand that,
There's one of the things that I especially don't like about live service games; they risk moving too far away from the initial gameplay and, most worryingly, make it impossible to play these older versions.

Talents, outposts and even just neutral items alone pretty much means that Dota 2 today is nothing like the Dota 2 four years ago. While talents worked out quite well after the flaws were ironed out and I am sure Icefrog knows exactly what he's doing, I still want a Dota 2 Classic Mode that plays like the last balance patch before 7.00.

For similar reasons, I've been playing Team Fortress 2 Classic over the regular one, since TF2C's philosophy of keeping it simple and clean appeals to me more than what TF2 has become. I've always hated the damn hats, especially those with unusual effects.

SharkLord

Smash Hero

I think the recent ones have been late in the day? If so, probably not tonight. Better use the eShop while you can, because those servers are going down hard.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Considering how he's out on the 14th in Europe, Steve should happen in about 28 hours

"Sword users are fine as long as they look cool. Everyone with a cool sword, point it at me"

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU

Just because Ultimate is a "celebration of gaming" doesn't mean that discussion has to devolve into "Why do you want (X) character when we could have (Y) or (Z) characters instead?". Four measly slots aren't going to cover the entirety of gaming as a whole. I guarantee that once the DLC cycle is completed, there will still be some arguably glaring omissions from the roster since people won't ever be satisfied. Then when the next Smash Bros. game comes around to include certain "ground-breaking" characters, people will wish that they could've been in Ultimate.

At this point, especially with newcomers such as Byleth and Min Min, I feel that Nintendo doesn't 100% care about making every DLC character a "ground-breaking" inclusion at first glance.

The most important factor of a character is (or should still be) focused on making them fun to play as, since that seems to be what people will mostly remember the character by.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
Level 5 western branch going under is not shocking the slightest. Level 5 has had way more misses and then hits these past few years. Yokai Watch didn't really catch on in NA and Snack King seems like a flop.

Level 5 themselves will probably go under sooner rather then later, they have been such a mismanage mess ever since the Yokai Watch bubble burst that I would be surprised if they are still around in 5 years.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Level 5 western branch going under is not shocking the slightest. Level 5 has had way more misses and then hits these past few years. Yokai Watch didn't really catch on in NA and Snack King seems like a flop.

Level 5 themselves will probably go under sooner rather then later, they have been such a mismanage mess ever since the Yokai Watch bubble burst that I would be surprised if they are still around in 5 years.
Wasn't Yokai Watch championed as a Pokemon challenger at one point? What happened to that?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

Nintendo of Europe's saying he will be available on the 14th, not 13th. You gotta wait a little longer.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

Assuming Smash is a fighting game, fun movesets and playstyles should be prioritized just as much, if not even moreso, than just legacy status and notrriety when selecting characters

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Yokai Watch plays more like SMT than Pokémon, if anything

Last edited:

SonicMario

Smash Master

Every DLC character release happened around 8-9 PM EST on the day of their release (Though during Joker's release the servers were generally ****ed and not alot of people could get Joker that fast. Though I think most characters afterward have gone relatively more smoothly since then). So unfortunately you won't be able to play Steve directly at midnight. But on the bright side you should hopefully have an entire night to play Steve once he's released tomorrow night.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I am once again bringing up Adol Christin because Ys music has me hooked.
Exhibit A:
I already listened this song before and really liked it. I'm probably gonna pick one of the classsic Ys entries on Steam soon.
So far I really enjoyed the Ys music I have heard. Good music is always a big appeal to me!

On a similar note, I'm gonna post this fantastic arrangement made by Falcom I recently found. Why? Because it's great, but also because this versions sounds so, SO, Smash Ultimate, that it doesn't even make sense.
Maybe it's just me, but this sounds like the type of remix they would do for this battle theme if Estelle was in Smash, and I love it. Also the thumbnail is very cute.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Assuming Smash is a fighting game, fun movesets and playstyles should be prioritized just as much, if not even moreso, than just legacy status and notrriety when selecting characters
PREACH. This is exactly why I support lesser-known characters that the Smash community doesn’t talk enough about (Sakura, Euden, Scorbunny, etc.)

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Every DLC character release happened around 8-9 PM EST on the day of their release (Though during Joker's release the servers were generally ****ed and not alot of people could get Joker that fast. Though I think most characters afterward have gone relatively more smoothly since then). So unfortunately you won't be able to play Steve directly at midnight. But on the bright side you should hopefully have an entire night to play Steve once he's released tomorrow night.
Terry did release in the wee hours of the morning, though. There's that to consider.

SKX31

Smash Master
There's one of the things that I especially don't like about live service games; they risk moving too far away from the initial gameplay and, most worryingly, make it impossible to play these older versions.

Talents, outposts and even just neutral items alone pretty much means that Dota 2 today is nothing like the Dota 2 four years ago. While talents worked out quite well after the flaws were ironed out and I am sure Icefrog knows exactly what he's doing, I still want a Dota 2 Classic Mode that plays like the last balance patch before 7.00.

For similar reasons, I've been playing Team Fortress 2 Classic over the regular one, since TF2C's philosophy of keeping it simple and clean appeals to me more than what TF2 has become. I've always hated the damn hats, especially those with unusual effects.
That's honestly a really good point: I do recall the dark days when shrines were introduced and placed in both teams' bases - seriously that **** made it ****ing impossible for the sieging team to do anything since those shrines healed lots of HP on relatively low CD and both teams had multiple shrines. Luckily those were removed, outposts are IMHO good to the game, but that's just me.

Wait, last balance patch before 7.00... was that checks oh, 6.88 - the 2016 meta. Yeah I can certainly see that. Was worried for a sec it would be an infamous patch (ho ho ha ha).

While I don't mind hats with particle effects at all, sometimes they can become too much. That I agree with.

If the controversies surrounding the Let’s Go and SwSh didn’t kill Pokémon, nothing will.

Pokémon can’t even kill itself.
Kinda think you can add how unpopular Unite's reveal was amongst the hardcore to that list.

Honestly it seems to me that Yokai Watch being a Pokemon killer was something entirely hyped up by the fans, not the games themselves
Superficial aspects can and has been the primary point of comparision because they're the simplest to make. Even when not accurate in the slightest (Digimon being known as "The other Pokemon" in the popular conciousness when it's much more different to Pokemon for example).

Last edited:

Of the 3 Links, Toon Link is the one with the best moveset design. The other two are more cobbled together and rely on heavily tweaking numbers to make their moveset work well. If we got all the Links back in a future game, Toon Link is the one who should stay the same and the other two should change.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Unpopular opinions?

If Smash were to continue on after Ultimate and they cut a majority of the roster I would, at that point, probably drop the series.
The only good opinion regarding cuts tbh

I just grow really attached to all the characters ok

yes even Piranha Plant

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Sakurai is a pretty bad director, and there are several characters I would cut even if there were no limit.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Isn't there still an unpopular opinion thread open?
It's been closed for over a year. I would post more here, but I think you guys are tired of me saying "Pokemon representation is incomplete, and not because of the lack of a Gen 8/fully evolved grass starter rep" and/or "It's not going to be the end of the world and/or Nintendo's finances if an assist trophy gets promoted in less than two years rather than ten, besides you shouldn't expect every character to be like Steve anyway."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom