• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Hot take, we will get info on the next character by the end of the year.

Will we get them? Odds say no. But I think we will get info at least.
If you mean a TGA reveal then it's not that out there in terms of feasibility, a lot of people have talked about this as a possibility. January seems like the most probable release date of the character so revealing the character a month earlier isn't that far-fetched. Though if it is a TGA reveal it will most likely be a character that is generally well known to the gaming sphere.

There is evidence that points towards Byleth being a TGA reveal but got delayed. This includes the trailer being a bait and switch, Three Houses soundtrack releasing on the day of the awards, and Imran implying Byleth would've been revealed earlier. I'm guessing someone at Nintendo got cold feet and decided revealing a character like Byleth at a general gaming event like TGA wasn't the best idea.

ZelDan

Smash Master
If you mean a TGA reveal then it's not that out there in terms of feasibility, a lot of people have talked about this as a possibility. January seems like the most probable release date of the character so revealing the character a month earlier isn't that far-fetched. Though if it is a TGA reveal it will most likely be a character that is generally well known to the gaming sphere.

There is evidence that points towards Byleth being a TGA reveal but got delayed. This includes the trailer being a bait and switch, Three Houses soundtrack releasing on the day of the awards, and Imran implying Byleth would've been revealed earlier. I'm guessing someone at Nintendo got cold feet and decided revealing a character like Byleth at a general gaming event like TGA wasn't the best idea.
TBH I would have loved it if they stick with the "bait and Switch idea", The surprise factor to it would have been fun and going that way made sense with how they handled Byleth's trailer.

Seeing Byleth's trailer by itself in January just ended up being, well, less ideal...

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
TBH I would have loved it if they stick with the "bait and Switch idea", The surprise factor to it would have been fun and going that way made sense with how they handled Byleth's trailer.

Seeing Byleth's trailer by itself in January just ended up being, well, less ideal...
Honestly it would've been pretty good considering how much Three Houses ****ing won last year.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Yeah, as a Funko collector it's pretty much impossible for me to see the "ugly" here. Also, it actually is a variety of Funko anyway.

Anyway, let's talk about Smash Bros. for some reason. I feel like the "bare minimum" I need to be content with FP2 is either one more first-party character, or Crash Bandicoot. Gut feeling, what are my odds? Do you have a bare minimum of your own?
Just give me some cool third party characters and I'll be good.

Voe

Smash Journeyman
About a potential TGA character reveal, didn't Geoff Keighley say earlier in in the year that he would be interested in doing a another one for Nintendo?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I don't know, I'm in the boat of the Joker reveal being a one-time thing at the TGA. It'd be nice to see it again but I feel like it'll just be another individual event unless Nintendo actually feels like pumping out a Direct in December.

SKX31

Smash Master
The thing with Smash reveals is that they're also likely affected by deliberate timing with marketing decisions by Nintendo. Beyond Minecon, Steve's reveal made sense to be held off of for most of the summer while the big time sensitive stuff like the Mario 35th and Age of Calamity announcements were knocked out first.

The significant question will be if Nintendo tries going back to a big seasonal Direct system (March presentation, E3 video, Fall Showcase) next year or it its continuing the shadow drops and semi-weekly news model like they have. Either path will play a big part in determining dates for Smash news.
Honestly I don't see them going back to the seasonal Direct until a vaccine's established and widely distributed. If only because Nintendo really doesn't want to find themselves in a situation where they announce a game at a seasonal Direct... only to have the game's dev team severely impacted by the virus at a crucial time. And Nintendo's just as quiet as Valve on projects. They hypotheoretically could, but not counting on it.

For the forseeable future (I'm going to say a placeholder date of March 2021) they're going to most likely continue with regular shadowdrops.

As far as TGA is concerned, that could happen - although it's going to be a difficult call. Steve's presentation was recorded in mid-August, and going by the time between Min Min's presentation (May 2nd) and Steve's we're looking at ca. 3 1 / 2 months. However, there's a lot of factors that could affect FP8, such as how much additional work will be put into online.

I expect some of the online changes to ship with 9.0; in order to reassure the hardcore side that changes are being worked on, especially when 8.1 included a promise about additional online changes. But I don't think 9.0 will be the end of that since making changes to Ultimate's online system is going to take a lot of work. Especially since it's a widely loathed system. So honestly I'm thinking that work on FP8 could be affected by that (as well as other stuff). I'm also thinking that 9.0 (Steve's patch) was delayed not just for marketing reasons, but also so they could try to finalize some adjustments to the online.

Anyway, let's talk about Smash Bros. for some reason. I feel like the "bare minimum" I need to be content with FP2 is either one more first-party character, or Crash Bandicoot. Gut feeling, what are my odds? Do you have a bare minimum of your own?
Not exactly. I'm not picky about which characters we get (as long as it's not designed to be intentionally trolly, but I trust Sakurai and co. to avoid that.). I do have my favorites obviously, but my most wanted is near-impossible.

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Nah, Min Min and Steve were already S Tier choices for me, so I'm good with whatever for the rest of the pass.

7NATOR

Smash Master
What do you think will be the next fan-rule/taboo to be broken? Ultimate has already given us so many examples!
:ultridley: "too big"
:ultkrool: "irrelevant"
:ultbanjokazooie: "dead franchise"
:ultpiranha: "no generic enemies"
:ultbyleth:"too many Fire Emblem characters"
I think "Assists can't be Promoted in the Same game" has a good shot at being Broken, Especially with the Bomberman Mii Costume straight up using the AT Model (but Cleaned up). There's a chance that for Easier Development, they might do the same thing but for an Actual Playable character, and The More Popular Assists (Waluigi, Isaac, Shadow, Skull Kid, Shovel Knight, ...) Have merit to being Playable

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Reminder to everyone Joker's reveal was a last minute decision.
Sakurai speed dials Atlus during the game awards!
Sakurai: We need to reveal Joker asap!
Katsura Hashino: We're on it!
The artists and animators work at the speed of light and then drift into the car park to broadcast Joker's reveal.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
What do you think will be the next fan-rule/taboo to be broken? Ultimate has already given us so many examples!
"No more than one Western character in a pass"

At least I hope that's broken in some fashion.

D

Deleted member

ngl, it would be pretty goofy for a reveal to happen at TGA this year with last year not having a reveal. This time around, maybe Smash fans decided to skip on TGA cause last year didn't have 1 only for a reveal to actually take place throwing people off once again.

But then again, the Smash fandom is always desperate for news, so I wouldn't hold my breath if a majority of people went into TGA again thinking a reveal's gonna happen.

Cyberfire

Smash Journeyman
I think "Assists can't be Promoted in the Same game" has a good shot at being Broken, Especially with the Bomberman Mii Costume straight up using the AT Model (but Cleaned up). There's a chance that for Easier Development, they might do the same thing but for an Actual Playable character, and The More Popular Assists (Waluigi, Isaac, Shadow, Skull Kid, Shovel Knight, ...) Have merit to being Playable
I can see an assist trophy making it. We'll see as the pass continues, but the vibe I've got so far is that this 2nd pass is 'finishing the job' and given us characters that didn't quite make it in base game and FP1.

[insert steve emote] "wont look right in the game"
Steve has an entire list of quotes on his own!

Last edited:

blackghost

Smash Champion
Making the ATs a costume is very different from making them paid DLC.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I'm hedging my bets on an indie fighter (re: Reimu), but anyone mildly familiar with me should know that by now.

Same with an AT promotion, but a bit less so on the basis that A: There's only a couple characters left who could feasibly bring enough content for a full pack, and B: They would be chosen by their own merits, not as an AT promotion.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
A: There's only a couple characters left who could feasibly bring enough content for a full pack, and B: They would be chosen by their own merits, not as an AT promotion.
I'm not banking on Waluigi getting his time this Pass but I know it can happen. :222: He's undoubtedly the most requested upgrade.

The question is: Would Nintendo go for it?

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I'm not banking on Waluigi getting his time this Pass but I know it can happen. :222: He's undoubtedly the most requested upgrade.
Yeah, Waluigi's definitely poular. My main issue with him is that he's mostly just Waluigi, without much tied to him beyond Waluigi Pinball. If he's added, he'd just be bringing himself, not a new game or series (Or entire company, in Terry's case). In general, supporting characters don't seemed to be favored by DLC this time around.

D

Deleted member

"He's too big!" - :ultridley:

"Too irrelevant!" - :ultkrool:

"Too impossible! Too third-party!" - :ultbanjokazooie:

Do I have to say more?
This exact question, nearly word for word AND emote for emote, was asked not even a full month ago. Come on guys, we can go longer before we recycle this stuff, can't we?

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
......By whose judgement? Terry exists and Fatal Fury is 100% a dead franchise. The last Fatal Fury came out in 1995, he's pretty much kept alive via King of Fighters, which isn't even 'his' game.

And like, Ninja Gaiden is considered an iconic NES game, hell, it's considered iconic enough to be on the NES Mini. Not only that, but there's a rumor of an HD collection coming next March.
Fun Fact: The Last Fatal Fury game was Garou: Mark of the Wolves in 1999, meaning that even before Smash Bros Melee came out, the Fatal Fury series was done for and has been for the last decades. EVEN ****ING BANJO GOT MORE GAMES IN THE 21ST CENTURY THAN FATAL FURY, KoF was the only reason Terry was still alive in people's minds.

The "Terry is MR SNK so he gets priority" argument is valid, but so could be argued that Ryu is "Mr Tecmo Koei", with Ayane beign "Ms Tecmo", but we are not gonna have a Volleyball rep in Smash for now.

Why are we making "MUH RELEVANCY" arguments when we have ****ing K.Rool on the roster, i thought that died as soon as he smacked Dedede in the face.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
This exact question, nearly word for word AND emote for emote, was asked not even a full month ago. Come on guys, we can go longer before we recycle this stuff, can't we?
If you're the type of person who loiters around this website for a majority of your every waking day you'll probably run out of ideas faster than you think.

My main issue with him is that he's mostly just Waluigi, without much tied to him beyond Waluigi Pinball. If he's added, he'd just be bringing himself, not a new game or series (Or entire company, in Terry's case). In general, supporting characters don't seemed to be favored by DLC this time around.
That's why I added a post-edit question: Would Nintendo actually go for it? I'm leaning more towards no, but I have a feeling it's more related to the fact that the supposed Mario Mandate people who force Paper Mario to be generic also don't want Waluigi in non-sports games. A-And I don't think Smash is a sport.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
Making the ATs a costume is very different from making them paid DLC.
Mii Costumes are Paid DLC

Yes they are only 75 Cents, Compared to the 6 Dollars (or 5 per character if you Buy the Pass), but some of the Sentiment is still the Same. Plus People still want to See characters like Waluigi, Isaac, Shadow, and Skull Kid Playable, and they are not, so you know

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Plus People still want to See characters like Waluigi, Isaac, Shadow, and Skull Kid Playable, and they are not, so you know
Waluigi and Isaac already have some type of Mii Costume thing going on. A Shadow costume would look kinda weird though, I wanna see it just for the weird proportions and how funny it'd look.

EDIT: Majora's Mask is also a costume, isn't it? I don't remember.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
Waluigi and Isaac already have some type of Mii Costume thing going on. A Shadow costume would look kinda weird though, I wanna see it just for the weird proportions and how funny it'd look.

EDIT: Majora's Mask is also a costume, isn't it? I don't remember.
Shadow is the only one of those 4 listed that don't have a Costume, though Waluigi is only an Hat, and doesn't even have the Overalls

Considering what they did with Tails and Knuckles, I do agree it be Weird. Also considering how many People I've seen wanting Shadow to use a Gun, he'd probably be a Gunner, or if they want to Differante, he'd be a Sword Fighter using the Katana From his Own game, or any of the other Physical Black Arms weapons

Reactions: Voe

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Fun Fact: The Last Fatal Fury game was Garou: Mark of the Wolves in 1999, meaning that even before Smash Bros Melee came out, the Fatal Fury series was done for and has been for the last decades. EVEN ****ING BANJO GOT MORE GAMES IN THE 21ST CENTURY THAN FATAL FURY, KoF was the only reason Terry was still alive in people's minds.

The "Terry is MR SNK so he gets priority" argument is valid, but so could be argued that Ryu is "Mr Tecmo Koei", with Ayane beign "Ms Tecmo", but we are not gonna have a Volleyball rep in Smash for now.

Why are we making "MUH RELEVANCY" arguments when we have ****ing K.Rool on the roster, i thought that died as soon as he smacked Dedede in the face.
To be fair, K. Rool had overwhelming popularity backing him up. That being said, he was still pretty relevant to the Donkey Kong series for a good while. Recency doesn't always equate to relevancy, something I think we tend to get mixed up a lot.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
To be fair, K. Rool had overwhelming popularity backing him up. That being said, he was still pretty relevant to the Donkey Kong series for a good while. Recency doesn't always equate to relevancy, something I think we tend to get mixed up a lot.
When K. Rool got in he had neither Recency nor Relevancy. The only fanbase he was relevant to was Smash. No Kremlings in Returns or Tropical Freeze sealed the deal that Nintendo didn’t care about K. Rool. It wasn’t until the ballot that we got the K. Rool costume when people, and Nintendo, started paying attention.

7NATOR

Smash Master
So Now that we are discussing Geno Again, Do you think if Sakurai was given a Freebie character that He would Choose Geno, or is there another characer that Sakurai has talked about or Hasn't talked about that he would Choose instead?

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

Of course, there would still be a fallout that the reveal wasn’t a gaming legend.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
So Now that we are discussing Geno Again, Do you think if Sakurai was given a Freebie character that He would Choose Geno, or is there another characer that Sakurai has talked about or Hasn't talked about that he would Choose instead?
Sakurai had his chance to add Geno in the base roster. He didn't take it. Now Nintendo chooses the characters.

To be brutally honest, I don't think Sakurai wants Geno as much as people think. I feel like Geno is never a big enough priority for him to add over other characters he's considering, so he settles for things like Spirits and Mii costumes.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I don't think Sakurai would be given a freebie character. If he did then there might be a possibility that he could pick Geno. Who knows, maybe Fighter 11 is Geno.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom