• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
The thing with Smash reveals is that they're also likely affected by deliberate timing with marketing decisions by Nintendo. Beyond Minecon, Steve's reveal made sense to be held off of for most of the summer while the big time sensitive stuff like the Mario 35th and Age of Calamity announcements were knocked out first.

The significant question will be if Nintendo tries going back to a big seasonal Direct system (March presentation, E3 video, Fall Showcase) next year or it its continuing the shadow drops and semi-weekly news model like they have. Either path will play a big part in determining dates for Smash news.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It's very safe to assume the next batch of DLC Fighters will release in 2021 however. Unless by some sort of digital miracle, I don't expect any other character to be showcased this year.

They might wanna spread it out a bit more careful this time, because this is the last of the last content Smash Ultimate will receive.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I see we’ve already passed the NSFW phase of this thread :rolleyes:

just need Geno, Goku and cuts discussion

... **** I jinxed it again

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
Any of you guys think they Could reveal the Characters Out of Order? Like they Reveal FP9 at Game Awards, instead of FP8

This wouldn't be the First time a Fighting game (that Involves Namco) as done that. Negan was one of the First S2 Pass Tekken 7 Character, despite being the last one released. UI Goku was revealed First, but Kefla was actually the First Released Character

I guess this would depend on whether Nintendo did not account for Game Awards this year. After all Besides a Potential Reveal, Smash has no reason to Show up there (2018 TGA's, Ultimate was about to release in hours, 2019 TGA's, Ultimate was receiving Awards), but perhaps since Geoffrey has about a Potential Reveal, they might have changed plans

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
A reveal at TGA feels really dependent on whom the fighter would be. Joker made sense and to a lesser degree so would Steve had the order/timing been different. If a more niche or Smash crowd favorite is coming next, its hard for to imagine a Game Awards showcase for them, even though some would argue Nintendo wouldn't turn down any kind of spotlight, regardless of character.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I see we’ve already passed the NSFW phase of this thread :rolleyes:

just need Geno, Goku and cuts discussion

... **** I jinxed it again
They will cut Geno and Goku from Smash 6 because licensing them was already a *****, and it'll be a ***** to license them again.

Last edited:

FJA147

Smash Cadet
Have they released the nominees for the TGA if they have we could probably start discussing if there is a TGA reveal which character it would be. Because when Joker when he was revealed Persona 5 had won Game of the Year and Best Art Direction. It might be franchise that must be at TGA as a nominee

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Have they released the nominees for the TGA if they have we could probably start discussing if there is a TGA reveal which character it would be. Because when Joker when he was revealed Persona 5 had won Game of the Year and Best Art Direction. It might be franchise that must be at TGA as a nominee
To be fair, Joker was a special exception to reveal at TGA, though I do understand the direction you’re coming from.

That said, I think if Nintendo wants a reveal there they’ll do whoever they have as FP8 regardless of if they were nominated before.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I still think a Guilty Gear rep in Smash is going to happen. There's no way Sakurai would just go to ArcSys for some Kunio-kun spirits. Speaking of, it's nice to get a release date for Guilty Gear Strive and a sick-looking newcomer in the form of Giovanna.
I could say the same for Ubisoft and Bethesda too.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Not yet. Although there will be a new category this year: Innovation in Accessibility.

Also, quick correction: although Persona 5 was NOMINATED in those categories, it didn't win either of them.

Goombaic

Smash Ace
No, Persona 5 was nominated a year prior to Joker's reveal and won neither of those nominations.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
As far as Game of the Year, that list feels realistically down to FF7R, LOU2, Animal Crossing New Horizons, Ghost of Tsushima, (probably) Cyberpunk 2077, and maybe one more to round out the list.

So yeah, Keanu Reeves for Fighter 8 I guess.

rychu_supadude

Smash Journeyman
At least it has a mouth unlike the ugly funko
Yeah, as a Funko collector it's pretty much impossible for me to see the "ugly" here. Also, it actually is a variety of Funko anyway.

Anyway, let's talk about Smash Bros. for some reason. I feel like the "bare minimum" I need to be content with FP2 is either one more first-party character, or Crash Bandicoot. Gut feeling, what are my odds? Do you have a bare minimum of your own?

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Yeah, as a Funko collector it's pretty much impossible for me to see the "ugly" here. Also, it actually is a variety of Funko anyway.

Anyway, let's talk about Smash Bros. for some reason. I feel like the "bare minimum" I need to be content with FP2 is either one more first-party character, or Crash Bandicoot. Gut feeling, what are my odds? Do you have a bare minimum of your own?
  • Sora from Kingdom Hearts
  • Crash Bandicoot
  • 1st parties to even out the 3rd parties
  • Characters nobody really talks about (like Sakura Shinguji)

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

• ELMA. Bruh I NEED HER SO BADLY.
  • Neku and/or Octoling. I’ll take one if not the other, not picky here but would prefer both
  • An impossible dream, but Black Shadow
  • After that I don’t care

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I feel like the "bare minimum" I need to be content with FP2 is either one more first-party character, or Crash Bandicoot. Gut feeling, what are my odds? Do you have a bare minimum of your own?
gimme an FGC preferably scorpion and i'll give it a good 10/10

i got steve though so its a solid 8 already

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Looking at recent games that won GOTY since the Game Awards was around, we have access to the main character from Dragon Age Inquisition, Geralt, Tracer, BOTW rep that isn't Link, Kratos and Wolf from Sekiro.
If we want to go for the smaller categories and stuff that's nominated, we get access to Monster Hunter or Dante, Sam Bridges, Sora, John Marston, Ezio, Lara Croft and a bunch of other reps.
In other words...
fetchimage.png

D

Deleted member

BOTW won Game of the Year in 2017, not Persona 5. It was nominated thoe.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

Layton
Sora
Ammy
Phoenix
Yuri Lowell

SharkLord

Smash Hero

I'll be satisfied with just about anything, though Reimu would be pretty sweet.

Wigglerman

Smash Ace

My last wish list (or at least feasible list of wants) was Bomberman (Now that he's been double tapped by being an AT and now a Mii outfit). The only other character I would actually freak out over would be Joshua Fireseed (Turok 2) but I know that just isn't ever going to happen. :I

So really, can't say there is a 'bare minimum' for me. I'm just along for the ride now that all my stakes are gone, so to speak XD

Last edited:

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
Hot take, we will get info on the next character by the end of the year.

Will we get them? Odds say no. But I think we will get info at least.
A pretty luke warm take. The general agreement around here is we'll know something by the end of the year at the earliest, January at the latest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom