• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheShiningAbsol

Smash Journeyman
You do not play as the generic barbarian man. You play as a custom character. Not dragonborn man on the box/ad material.
I do, actually.

But putting that aside, it's still meaningless when we have Villager and Inkling, etc. Sure you don't play as that specific Inkling in Splatoon, but you play as an Inkling, much like how Dragonborn would be. When you play Skyrim, you're playing as the Dragonborn. Maybe not the Nord default Dragonborn, but a Dragonborn. The alts being assorted races/genders would help this, too.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
You don't play as Steve either, you play as whatever skin you choose. "Generic barbarian man" is one of the possible looks as the dragonborn, and just like Steve, that would be the default costume, while the alts would be the other various races/gender you can choose, like Steve.

Those blank slates at least have some ounce of personality, unlike the rectangle.
Steve definitely shows personality in his actions, but it's barely there.

Nonetheless, generic avatars have been in Smash since Brawl. So it won't matter if more come in. That's not a detriment to a character option.

Obviously I'm agreeing with you this argument doesn't make sense when the game already puts generic avatars in fully.

...I did forget Inkling too, huh. Whoops.

Last edited:

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
You don't play as Steve either, you play as whatever skin you choose. "Generic barbarian man" is one of the possible looks as the dragonborn, and just like Steve, that would be the default costume, while the alts would be the other various races/gender you can chose, like Steve.
Not to be semantical but you DO play as Steve. You only DON'T play as Steve if you change your skin which not a lot of players will change the skin or even know how to do so right off. By default, you ARE Steve.

You never play as Dragonborn man. Not in any flashback or story related incident. From the start you're whatever you want to be. The Dragonborn only exists for the marketing but isn't even an actual part of the game itself. Steve is your default body/face even if you don't inherently see it from a game play perspective. Steve IS Minecraft.

Dragonbornman isn't Elderscrolls, IMO. Like Fallout, I'd argue the various armors are more of a 'indicator' for Elder Scrolls (Dwemer, Ebony, Elven, Glass, etc) and obviously that says a lot when the suits of armor are the more identifiable aspects of the series from an outsider perspective than the character itself. But Steve doesn't really have that issue. People know where Steve is from just by looking at him. Dragonborn man could be from literally ANY fantasy anything.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Not to be semantical but you DO play as Steve. You only DON'T play as Steve if you change your skin which not a lot of players will change the skin or even know how to do so right off. By default, you ARE Steve.

You never play as Dragonborn man. Not in any flashback or story related incident. From the start you're whatever you want to be. The Dragonborn only exists for the marketing but isn't even an actual part of the game itself. Steve is your default body/face even if you don't inherently see it from a game play perspective. Steve IS Minecraft.

Dragonbornman isn't Elderscrolls, IMO. Like Fallout, I'd argue the various armors are more of a 'indicator' for Elder Scrolls (Dwemer, Ebony, Elven, Glass, etc).
By default, you are generic barbarian dragonbornman, sans helmet. Being used in marketing means he's as much of a character as Steve, people know the look.

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
You 'start' as a Nord because Nords are the natives of Skyrim. If I'm not mistaken you start as a Dark Elf in Morrowind because that is the native lands of the Dark Elves. Correct me if I'm wrong. That seems to be the trend for the series. In oblivion I believe you started as an Imperial.

Edit: And if we want to use this example, should the Dragonborn be called 'Prisoner' because that is your default name in this instance?

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

Dragonbornman isn't Elderscrolls, IMO. Like Fallout, I'd argue the various armors are more of a 'indicator' for Elder Scrolls (Dwemer, Ebony, Elven, Glass, etc) and obviously that says a lot when the suits of armor are the more identifiable aspects of the series from an outsider perspective than the character itself. But Steve doesn't really have that issue. People know where Steve is from just by looking at him. Dragonborn man could be from literally ANY fantasy anything.
You are aware that Steve didn't even exist as a character for a long time till he was given a nickname by the creator and eventually made a character.

He started off as a skin. He became a character later. That's right. A completely generic avatar that wasn't even created to be a character in any way or form is already in Smash. The whole "generic avatar" argument was dead since Steve arrived.

Also, we have precedent of not using the protagonist first. Pikachu says sup. Being playable isn't the core reason to choose a character to represent a game. There's multiple factors. Some games don't even have a set protagonist, like ARMS, which is the main reason Min Min wasn't an issue for Sakurai at all.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

Dragonbornman isn't Elderscrolls, IMO. Like Fallout, I'd argue the various armors are more of a 'indicator' for Elder Scrolls (Dwemer, Elven, Glass, etc).
Ironically, many made the same arguments for Steve and Alex you're making for Dragonborn. You can change their skin so you're not really playing as them, Minecraft is more about building so they're not the essence of Minecraft, you can represent the game with a stage or Mii Costume, the character isn't necessary, and so on.

Just because you default to Steve or Alex for a few moments before you change the skin (which does similarly happen with the Dragonborn anyway as said above) doesn't change that they share the same scenario: Both are avatars that are represented with a certain image in promotional materials, but are customizable and ultimately left up to the player if they want to keep them. You can play as Steve or Alex, or you can switch off to another character like Banjo. Similarly, you can keep the Nord that the game initially gives you, but you can switch off to an Argonian if you so choose. In neither case are you forced to keep the default character, but the image of that default character has been used prominently in how both franchises are shown. If Minecraft can be brought in using Steve as the face, then Skyrim and the Dragonborn can do the same with the Nord.

Last edited:

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
You are aware that Steve didn't even exist as a character for a long time till he was given a nickname by the creator and eventually made a character.

He started off as a skin. He became a character later. That's right. A completely generic avatar that wasn't even created to be a character in any way or form is already in Smash. The whole "generic avatar" argument was dead since Steve arrived.

Also, we have precedent of not using the protagonist first. Pikachu says sup. Being playable isn't the core reason to choose a character to represent a game. There's multiple factors. Some games don't even have a set protagonist, like ARMS, which is the main reason Min Min wasn't an issue for Sakurai at all.
i understand all of this, but what I think its being misunderstood in my stance is that those characters (Pikachu, any arms rep) properly indicate the series they are from. You don't need the main protag if the character properly reps their series. But Dragonborn is, by all accounts, a literal 'Who is this?' from a general perspective. He doesn't outright embody the series he's from because he is so abysmally generic. If we didn't know who he was already, it'd be actually difficult to guess what series he is even from.

You don't need to guess what series Steve, Pika, Villager, etc are from because even from a casual gamer level it's pretty easy to distinguish what franchise they're from at a glance.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Dragonbornman isn't Elderscrolls, IMO. Like Fallout, I'd argue the various armors are more of a 'indicator' for Elder Scrolls (Dwemer, Ebony, Elven, Glass, etc) and obviously that says a lot when the suits of armor are the more identifiable aspects of the series from an outsider perspective than the character itself. But Steve doesn't really have that issue.
Dragonborn wouldn't be representing the entire franchise, just Skyrim. Just like Joker only represents Persona 5, Cloud only FF7, etc.

People know where Steve is from just by looking at him. Dragonborn man could be from literally ANY fantasy anything.
If you don't know what this image is from then you're either not into gaming or you live under a rock if you do.

You 'start' as a Nord because Nords are the natives of Skyrim. If I'm not mistaken you start as a Dark Elf in Morrowind because that is the native lands of the Dark Elves. Correct me if I'm wrong. That seems to be the trend for the series. In oblivion I believe you started as an Imperial.
And the Nord would be the default, and other races alts.

And if we want to use this example, should the Dragonborn be called 'Prisoner' because that is your default name in this instance?
As was said above, Steve didn't originally have a name, but he's still just called Steve. The dragonborn would just be called Dovahkiin.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
i understand all of this, but what I think its being misunderstood in my stance is that those characters (Pikachu, any arms rep) properly indicate the series they are from. You don't need the main protag if the character properly reps their series. But Dragonborn is, by all accounts, a literal 'Who is this?' from a general perspective. He doesn't outright embody the series he's from because he is so abysmally generic. If we didn't know who he was already, it'd be actually difficult to guess what series he is even from.

You don't need to guess what series Steve, Pika, Villager, etc are from because even from a casual gamer level it's pretty easy to distinguish what franchise they're from at a glance.
Dragonborn absolutely represents Skyrim. What are you talking about? It's literally the face of the game. Hell, Pikachu is the face of Pokemon too. You don't need to guess what Dragonborn is from at all because it's blatantly a Skyrim character. He's very recognizable as that.

That's not an issue at all. Being generic never mattered once. Hero is hard proof of how much that is, as that's exactly why it worked. They could justify tons of spells a particular Hero would never use due to the alt stuff.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Steve definitely shows personality in his actions, but it's barely there.

Nonetheless, generic avatars have been in Smash since Brawl. So it won't matter if more come in. That's not a detriment to a character option.

Obviously I'm agreeing with you this argument doesn't make sense when the game already puts generic avatars in fully.

...I did forget Inkling too, huh. Whoops.
Speaking of generic avatars, I kinda want to see the Sims get in Smash... maybe their stage could be SimCity from the SNES with a Godzilla-sized Bowser destroying the city like this.

I think the Sims could be strange and unique. They would look like normal everyday humans but they have green diamonds floating above their heads. There definitely needs to be 4 male Sims and 4 female Sims.

Goombaic

Smash Ace
But Dragonborn is, by all accounts, a literal 'Who is this?' from a general perspective.
Hmm.

I don't know, I feel like saying people would view him as a literal who is a bit insulting to the average fan's intelligence.
If we didn't know who he was already, it'd be actually difficult to guess what series he is even from.
That could apply to so many characters in Smash already but I'm not gonna bother explaining how the average gamer will know that that guy comes from Skyrim.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
I think the Dragonborn definitely has a small chance Skyrim was massive AF and that helmet is so Iconic it has a hat in TF2 The Dragonborn Being an avatar also does not matter do to the aforementioned, Inkling, Villager Steve etc. My Only big request for Dragonborn is that the other Races of Skyrim are alts, not just Nord's, Redguard's and Elves but also like Khajit and Argonians too.

EDIT: Also imagine Kirby shouting Fus Ro Dah

EDIT2: I just remembered that the Composer is a **** so I'm less on board but still on board

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Even if a character can be customized, their default appearance can absolutely be iconic. That's the point of having one; so you can advertise your game with a character people recognize, even if they'll play the game and look completely different. They've done that with Skyrim, they've done it with Mass Effect, they've done it with Cyberpunk, hell, they did it with Fire Emblem Awakening and there's no argument to be made that those default looks aren't iconic.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Dragonborn wouldn't be representing the entire franchise, just Skyrim. Just like Joker only represents Persona 5, Cloud only FF7, etc.

If you don't know what this image is from then you're either not into gaming or you live under a rock if you do.

And the Nord would be the default, and other races alts.

As was said above, Steve didn't originally have a name, but he's still just called Steve. The dragonborn would just be called Dovahkiin.
Coulda sworn he had a bushier beard, but I can definitely recognize that helmet. And this is coming from someone who knows jack about not just Skyrim, but about Western RPGs as a whole.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I wanna bring up another interesting bit of discussion; which Punch-Out character would you like to see as another fighter? I was thinking Bald Bull, with a more aggressive playstyle compared to Little Mac.
King HIppo, no contest.

...I'm a Captain N fan, which helps. Though if not playable, he'd be the perfect next AT choice, imo.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
There's enough alts where you could probably get the iconic races and armors from Skyrim while still keeping their weapons the same.

Dragonborn in general is one I could see go either way; its big enough in Japan to get consideration and has possibilities for a unique moveset, but the ease of working with other companies and the potential characters may reduce them to a Mii Costume. Of the M rated franchises often brought up (MK, Fallout, Halo, Doom) it strikes me as the most likely to end up in Smash.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
I wanna bring up another interesting bit of discussion; which Punch-Out character would you like to see as another fighter? I was thinking Bald Bull, with a more aggressive playstyle compared to Little Mac.
I'd go with King Hippo, Doc Louis or Disco Kid

Last edited:

TheShiningAbsol

Smash Journeyman
I think the Dragonborn definitely has a small chance Skyrim was massive AF and that helmet is so Iconic it has a hat in TF2 The Dragonborn Being an avatar also does not matter do to the aforementioned, Inkling, Villager Steve etc. My Only big request for Dragonborn is that the other Races of Skyrim are alts, not just Nord's, Redguard's and Elves but also like Khajit and Argonians too.

EDIT: Also imagine Kirby shouting Fus Ro Dah

EDIT2: I just remembered that the Composer is a **** so I'm less on board but still on board
d4glg75-3bebad88-45df-45f4-862d-dc53fb7ddd75.png

fwus wo DAH!

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
I'm a sucker for Glass Joe but Mac as an archetype is already rough and Glass Joe would be like the Dan Hibiki of Punch Out fame and even worse as a functional character.

So going the opposite of Mac in King Hippo, Mr Sandman or Disco Kid? Also would be interested in Aran Ryan with how more brash he is in the Wii Punch Out.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I'm curious as to what Steve's tournament number is. If it's 4029, then the skipped numbers and atributes of characters of the later tournaments could be something we could use to see what the next DLC character will be like if we see more skips around the time the other DLC characters will release.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Eggplant Wizard too... since generic enemies can get in Smash now. :ultpiranha:
Admittedly Medusa is my next wanted KI character. Eggplant Wizard would be cool, too. Though I could imagine it as a pretty neat AT, especially as it means they'd have to go out of their way to make sure everybody can be Eggplant-ified~ Though that'd work as a playable character thing to.

SKX31

Smash Master
Kinda split on this, but thinking King Hippo. Probably because there might be some interesting defensive options to implement with him, what with him being an obvious super-heavy and having some interesting quirks one could build off of. Although I would not mind Bald Bull either.

However, I'm also very much for reworking Little Mac. Designing him like he is was a noble experiment... but jeez it did not pan out as intended at all. I'm not against the concept of a ground-based fighter, but I'm personally against how he's pidgeon-holed into that role. As he is he's really annoying and frustrating to fight up close, but it's not fun for him at all if he gets camped or knocked into the air / off stage. He could still be a ground-centric character, but if he wasn't so overly tuned to the ground or had something like Star punches instead of KO Punch (I find it superfluos when Mac's Smash attacks do the trick reliably - someone like Bald Bull or King Hippo could inherit KO Punch though in some form) it'd go a long way IMHO. Or fix his grab, it's like his grab's an aerial.

I'm also - personally, I should note - sick of fighting Little Macs online. Period. So that's why I'm going on this mini-rant.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Honestly I think Dragonborn would be kind of lame as a Smash Bros character. I just don't think he really fits in a game like this because he looks too realistic. Like I get people roll their eyes at this and counter this point with Snake with the talks of War and such but the Metal Gear series has a comical and fourth wall breaking side to it that I'm okay with like Big exclamation marks appearing over people's heads when they spot you or crawling around in a box or when psycho mantis tells you what you've been playing on your memory card. It helps me remind myself I'm playing a video game.

Dragonborn looks like he belongs in a medieval film, he doesn't look like a video game character and the promotional trailers including him don't help shake off that feeling. Not only that, he wields a Sword, a shield and can cast magical attacks, pretty much like the Dragon Quest Hero. Sure they could make him use different types of weapons included in Skyrim like Byleth but not only do I not believe they would choose to do this and only make him use his Sword and Shield for consistency sake but what does he have that Hero, Byleth or even Link can't do already?

I'll stress that I'm not saying he doesn't have a chance of being in Smash Bros because of these reasons. I'm just expressing why I really don't care for the Dragonborn.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Kinda split on this, but thinking King Hippo. Probably because there might be some interesting defensive options to implement with him, what with him being an obvious super-heavy and having some interesting quirks one could build off of. Although I would not mind Bald Bull either.

However, I'm also very much for reworking Little Mac. Designing him like he is was a noble experiment... but jeez it did not pan out as intended at all. I'm not against the concept of a ground-based fighter, but I'm personally against how he's pidgeon-holed into that role. As he is he's really annoying and frustrating to fight up close, but it's not fun for him at all if he gets camped or knocked into the air / off stage. He could still be a ground-centric character, but if he wasn't so overly tuned to the ground or had something like Star punches instead of KO Punch (I find it superfluos when Mac's Smash attacks do the trick reliably - someone like Bald Bull or King Hippo could inherit KO Punch though in some form) it'd go a long way IMHO. Or fix his grab, it's like his grab's an aerial.

I'm also - personally, I should note - sick of fighting Little Macs online. Period. So that's why I'm going on this mini-rant.
You don't like Fighting Tilts with Ridiculous Frame data and Super Amored Smash Attacks?

in any case, Little Mac getting retuned so he can function better as a Character could be good, as long as they give him some Ground Based combos or something like he had in Smash 4 (the ones in Ultimate are more limited). But I'm gonna miss Super Armored Smash attacks because I know they would take that away

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Doc Louis is the only acceptable answer I'm afraid.

Anyway I just beat Dawn of Sorrow and damn I wish we got a Soma Cruz AT at the very least instead of the admittedly brilliant spirit

Aurora Jenny

Smash Lord
NNID
Dart_Rodales
Yeah, Soma Cruz is definitely an interesting one. I wouldn't mind that honestly.

Also yes. Doc Louis WOULD be my second Punch-out Character of choice as well. Can you imagine if you do the chocolate taunt and get interrupted, you get a temporary boost? Players in the know would actually hesitate, wondering if they should chance it unless they have a guaranteed KO hit if they nail him or not.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
Yeah, Soma Cruz is definitely an interesting one. I wouldn't mind that honestly.

Also yes. Doc Louis WOULD be my second Punch-out Character of choice as well. Can you imagine if you do the chocolate taunt and get interrupted, you get a temporary boost? Players in the know would actually hesitate, wondering if they should chance it unless they have a guaranteed KO hit if they nail him or not.
Don't Forget, that he also would Rip of His Jacket to show he Means business

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Honestly I think Dragonborn would be kind of lame as a Smash Bros character. I just don't think he really fits in a game like this because he looks too realistic. Like I get people roll their eyes at this and counter this point with Snake with the talks of War and such but the Metal Gear series has a comical and fourth wall breaking side to it that I'm okay with like Big exclamation marks appearing over people's heads when they spot you or crawling around in a box or when psycho mantis tells you what you've been playing on your memory card. It helps me remind myself I'm playing a video game.
How to tell someone didn't play the game 101. I'd list the ridiculous stuff in Skyrim that makes it just as comical as MGS, but this image alone should do the job.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
So guys, I might be off my Rocker, but I actually had a Theory about FP2

Joker Paved the Way for most of the FP1 being 3rd party. It could have seemed that Min-Min would have done the same but Steve proved that Futile, but I think there is something Min-Min could Prove

That Most of the FP2 will be Women, and not because they are Women, but just by Coincidence

Min-Min is a Woman. Steve isn't a Woman, but Alex is one, and they've been using her Heavily in FP2 Promotion along with Steve.

This theory states that at least 2-3 of the Final Four Characters will be a Woman

Also This might seem like a Joke but Honestly, even I can't tell whether this is Serious theory or Joke Theory

latsmash

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5085-9089-2026
So guys, I might be off my Rocker, but I actually had a Theory about FP2

Joker Paved the Way for most of the FP1 being 3rd party. It could have seemed that Min-Min would have done the same but Steve proved that Futile, but I think there is something Min-Min could Prove

That Most of the FP2 will be Women, and not because they are Women, but just by Coincidence

Min-Min is a Woman. Steve isn't a Woman, but Alex is one, and they've been using her Heavily in FP2 Promotion along with Steve.

This theory states that at least 2-3 of the Final Four Characters will be a Woman

Also This might seem like a Joke but Honestly, even I can't tell whether this is Serious theory or Joke Theory
If we start discussing women theory, we lead to the inevitable and god awful Tracer discussion.

7NATOR

Smash Master
If we start discussing women theory, we lead to the inevitable and god awful Tracer discussion.
Awful because of Tracer herself, or because of that one Rumor of her Being Scrapped that some people say sprung up to Diss Byleth being the 5th DLC fighter?

latsmash

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5085-9089-2026
People straight up hate Tracer, bringing up all sorts of unrelated topics and whining about the game itself. Also I highly doubt Sakurai is choosing characters purely based from their genders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom