• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
Well, Fatalities kill, and in Smash you either respawn or get K.O.'d. I think it should be a Final Smash exclusive, not a thing you can just do. I agree on the Brutality concept though, maybe a devastating move just by pressing the right buttons at the right percent, it'll be a free knockout? Maybe that's too busted even if the enemy is over 100%, but you get the idea lol. The animation has to be quick, and a Brutality can do that.
I imagine they could use something akin to what they do in MK11 now where once your life total is low enough (Or in Smash's case, high enough) you get a one use Super to deal immense damage that might also be able to KO if the opponent is high enough in %. Sort of how Terry's Go! works, but once per stock even if you whiff.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I meant Custom Moves like how different Palutena's, Mii's, (and Mega Man's) were in Smash 4, in that they were actually different Moves and not just a Different Variation of the Same move.
MegaMan's were variants of the same move too.

Reality is, that requires a massive amount of work, and regular custom moves already require a lot. Them being similar is a lot easier on the team, as they can get it done faster and in-time for release.

Even with that in mind, they were too much to handle and were cut outside of Mii Fighters. It's a great concept, but it's unrealistic to ever come back. I would like it if the Mii Fighters got a lot more unique B moves, though, so they can further represent the character costume a bit better.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Three Links, Two Zeldas, and Captain Ganondorf. Zelda fans are truly in hell.
Zelda's pretty decently represented beyond the fighters. Lots of items, ATs, and stages, 45 songs, a boss, and an entire section of World of Light, all to itself. The only way we could make it better is with a more diverse roster.

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
Three Links, Two Zeldas, and Captain Ganondorf. Zelda fans are truly in hell.
I mean, that could be seen as less than ideal representation. Having three links as opposed to any other character like the BOTW Guardians to replace a Link or just as a new rep all together would have been decent. Or the much requested Impa. I'm not upset by the reps we have for Zelda but some greater variety wouldn't hurt.

7NATOR

Smash Master
MegaMan's were variants of the same move too.

Reality is, that requires a massive amount of work, and regular custom moves already require a lot. Them being similar is a lot easier on the team, as they can get it done faster and in-time for release.

Even with that in mind, they were too much to handle and were cut outside of Mii Fighters. It's a great concept, but it's unrealistic to ever come back. I would like it if the Mii Fighters got a lot more unique B moves, though, so they can further represent the character costume a bit better.
Yeah I kinda figure it would be too much, but it still would be a cool idea. At least next game they should add More Moves to Mii Fighters so I can actually have my Brawler Throw a Kamehameha Since I don't think they add Goku even in Smash 6 if it's a Normal Smash game, or Give Bomberman Bomb moves

Also Separately, but I Imagine for the Stage, The Stage might have a stage Fatality, and you can do a Universal Input (with all characters) to Do a Speacial Up smash that triggers the Fatality. It would have Start up so it won't be Broken

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Hot take (or cold, I guess)

Sub-Zero has way more potential for unique mechanics due to the ice balls freezing the foe for combo oppotrunities and the ice clones shenanigans.

The ice clones also means they can take creative liberties and impliment some Noob Saibot stuff like in Injustice 2.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

Sub-Zero has way more potential for unique mechanics due to the ice. The ice clones also means they can take creative liberties and impliment some Noob Saibot stuff like they did in Injustice 2.
They could do it one way or the other honestly, Sub-Zero is just as big. I just like Scorpion more.

Plus, would be cool as **** if you hear Get Over Here! and see the spear go through a Smash invitation letter in the trailer.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
They could do it one way or the other honestly, Sub-Zero is just as big. I just like Scorpion more.

Plus, would be cool as **** if you hear Get Over Here! and see the spear go through a Smash invitation letter in the trailer.
No matter which one we'd get, the trailer should absolutely be Scorpion and Sub-Zero fighting for the letter. :p

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Zelda has plenty of representation outside the roster, but I wish people would stop using that as a reason to claim fans are unjustified in being upset that one of Nintendo's most iconic and successful properties hasn't gotten a truly unique character in two, now possibly three Smash games in a row.

We could use this argument indefinitely. Is it still stupid to want another Zelda character in Smash 8 if Sakurai added two new Zelda stages, a new AT, and a few new items?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
The MK ninjas are an interesting case where they’re like a reverse echo. Same model but with completely different move sets. I wonder how easy that would be to implement in Smash?
Well if we're talking the 2D games that Sakurai might be more familiar with, only the specials would be different, so part of the work load is cut off.

7NATOR

Smash Master

Sub-Zero has way more potential for unique mechanics due to the ice balls freezing the foe for combo oppotrunities and the ice clones shenanigans.

The ice clones also means they can take creative liberties and impliment some Noob Saibot stuff like in Injustice 2.
I Imagine that Portals Could be Sub-Zero's Up B, considering that Injustice 2 Sub can Create Portals, and Honestly I Kinda have trouble thinking of How Sub-Zero would Recover. you could use Rising Ice from MK11, but that does seem Kinda Basic honestly

I could also Imagine that Clones could have a Mechnical Fusion of Noob and Sub. You could either have it in Place like Sub, or you could make it Move around like Noob. Perhaps even some Normals can incorporate Clones into the General Moveset.

I'd also Imagine Noob Alt as well

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
The MK ninjas are an interesting case where they’re like a reverse echo. Same model but with completely different move sets. I wonder how easy that would be to implement in Smash?
Sounds like a good game for speculation, but so far as Scorpion and Sub are concerned:
Sub-Zero would have his regular freeze shot, the ice clone, the slide and the ice puddle as specials, while Scorpion would have the spear, his teleporting punch, the sudden fire from the ground and his rising kick instead.

I'd need to look back into the other ninjas, but it'd be an interesting game to do movesets for all of them.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I Imagine that Portals Could be Sub-Zero's Up B, considering that Injustice 2 Sub can Create Portals, and Honestly I Kinda have trouble thinking of How Sub-Zero would Recover. you could use Rising Ice from MK11, but that does seem Kinda Basic honestly

I could also Imagine that Clones could have a Mechnical Fusion of Noob and Sub. You could either have it in Place like Sub, or you could make it Move around like Noob. Perhaps even some Normals can incorporate Clones into the General Moveset.

I'd also Imagine Noob Alt as well
Ice Clone could be the up B.

The animation of the move in MK games involves him jumping, with the location where he triggered the move being replaced by a clone.

So functionally for Smash, it'd be like Sonic's spring or Mega Man's Rush.

But on the ground, he jumps backwards, and doing Up B near the clone lets him yeet it forward.

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Not sure if this counts as Smash speculation, but...

Sorry this video wrong.

Camelot is working on Shining Force 4. They came back to daddy Sega, sorry nintenkiddies
1602274906281.png

Between the Camelot brothers celebrating SEGA 60th, Sega wanting to bring back old IPs, No new modern Shining game for the past 6 years aside from ports, camelots recent disappearance, and the Shining Force GG Micro id say the signs are all there.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
If we got Another Western Character, but it was one from EA (Like Apex Legends), instead of Crash, Scorpion, Chief, League of Legends, Tracer, would people be Salty?

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
Ice Clone could be the up B.

The animation of the move in MK games involves him jumping, with the location where he triggered the move being replaced by a clone.

So functionally for Smash, it'd be like Sonic's spring or Mega Man's Rush.

But on the ground, he jumps backwards, and doing Up B near the clone lets him yeet it forward.
He could either yeet it or just hit it to make it slide across the ground, mix up how it's used. Slideing version could even eat a projectile, giving him a 'wall' to run behind against zoners.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
He could either yeet it or just hit it to make it slide across the ground, mix up how it's used. Slideing version could even eat a projectile, giving him a 'wall' to run behind against zoners.
Yeah, Sub just has a lot of unique mechanics and I could see Sakurai be far more interested in him than Scorpion because of that.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Sorry this video wrong.

Camelot is working on Shining Force 4. They came back to daddy Sega, sorry nintenkiddies
View attachment 288882

Between the Camelot brothers celebrating SEGA 60th, Sega wanting to bring back old IPs, No new modern Shining game for the past 6 years aside from ports, camelots recent disappearance, and the Shining Force GG Micro id say the signs are all there.
Ah yes, Sega's answer to Fire Emblem. I'd be totally down for it.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
If we got Another Western Character, but it was one from EA (Like Apex Legends), instead of Crash, Scorpion, Chief, League of Legends, Tracer, would people be Salty?
EA BAD GIB LIEK
The only EA characters I could see at this current point in time are Commander Shepard and Someone from PvZ or maybe Hawke from Dragon Age or A character from The Sims and I would be happy with any of those. EA seems pretty unlikely to get a character but maybe a spirit event.

Personal opinions aside: The internet would melt from anger

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master
Off-topic, but what is the most surprising thing about the DLC selections so far:

I am surprised that we haven't seen Crash or Rayman. In fact, I would have expected one of them to be in FP#1. They fit Smash so well, it is an oddity that they are not in.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Off-topic, but what is the most surprising thing about the DLC selections so far:

I am surprised that we haven't seen Crash or Rayman. In fact, I would have expected one of them to be in FP#1. They fit Smash so well, it is an oddity that they are not in.
Perhaps that so far all the DLC has been relatively Balanced. Like even with Joker, he's not that OP, especially in comparison to other DLC Characters in both this Franchise and other Fighting games

That Level-5 and Ninja Gaiden have been Absent in general, despite being close Partners of Nintendo, and especially in Koei's case already having some content in the game

That Enderman and Zombie are Alts of Steve

volbound1700

Smash Master
The fact we mostly have third parties honestly. I thought we;d have maybe 3 or 2 and be done with it.
Joker kind of made me believe it would be mostly 3rd-party. The reason being, if they had only 2-3 third party they would have chosen better.

If you limit to 2-3 third party, it would probably have just been Steve, Sora, and perhaps a Banjo or Hero character. That way you reach the largest audience.

However, I can see your point. Great post. I think the reason first party has been abandoned by even many of the Smash fans on the want list is that it has been done to death. There isn't many iconic first parties out there. You are getting into niche series and side characters. I would say that Dixie Kong, Impa, Toad, Waluigi, Bandana Dee, and Chorus Kids are the most likely ones left out there.

However, I can see your point. Good post.

blackghost

Smash Champion

crash missing really isnt a surprise. theres some serious company politics at play with crash. Activision is a pain. rayman has taken a back seat to rabbids these days.

SKX31

Smash Master
Going to answer this one completely honestly:

Probably. EA's reputation is near-rock bottom amongst the general hardcore (and few companies can rival how hated EA is - only companies like Activision-Blizzard, Konami and Tencent have come close IMHO) and them getting a character would draw a lot of ire regardless of which character we're talking about. And honestly I don't think Plants vs. Zombies' Crazy Dave would be immune.

There'd be a lot of salt, yes, but there'd also be quite a bit of hype surrounding a lot of these characters - lets not forget that:

• Shepard's hypotheoretical inclusion would introduce the possibility that Mass Effect could heal post-Andromeda.
  • Crazy Dave would have intriguing non-standard mechanics and get a lot of attention that way.
  • Ditto Sims (or Bella Goth, one of the most famous Sims) - Sims also has a strong legacy by themselves going back to the early 2000s.
  • Hawke from Dragon Age might be one of the least controversial pick EA's got, and it would do quite a lot to its favor.
  • Command and Conquer's Kane would have the old-school RTS fanbase hyped as hell. It would also come after C&C Remastered came out and got a positive reception.
  • Dead Space's Isaac would likewise do quite a lot by itself to reignite interest in that series... although that's dead at this point.
  • While Apex Legends is near-impossible (at best), it would draw a lot of attention to unique mechanics too.
  • Finally, a Battlefield representative would cause quite a lot of stir and perhaps cross-interest as well.

Not many - if any - are going to trust EA to actually heal, but the salt and EA's routine mistreatment of franchises shouldn't completely overwhelm the fact that EA still has a lot of legitimate choices and the fact that there'd be a lot of positivity too.

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master
Perhaps that so far all the DLC has been relatively Balanced. Like even with Joker, he's not that OP, especially in comparison to other DLC Characters in both this Franchise and other Fighting games

That Level-5 and Ninja Gaiden have been Absent in general, despite being close Partners of Nintendo, and especially in Koei's case already having some content in the game

That Enderman and Zombie are Alts of Steve
Interesting... I don't find them that balanced (at least before updates). Granted some are and some are not. However, I will say that the DLC have very interesting move-sets. Still they are nothing like the Bayonetta drop so I can see your point.

I do think even the most unbalanced character is still great compared to what we saw in the Brawl/Melee era where some characters had no shot at all. I do think you have a puncher's chance with nearly every character in Ultimate.

I find Min Min to be very good if you get the right stage. Terry is a better version of a Little Mac. Hero draws a lot from Link's moveset but has the unique spell attacks. All of them are really unique in a way. With the exception of Joker. I just don't like Joker lol.

Dr. Yatagarasu

Smash Apprentice
  • Finally, a Battlefield representative would cause quite a lot of stir and perhaps cross-interest as well.
If there's actually some sort of "modern military shooter rep", I'm honestly of the mind that the only real choice there is Modern Warfare. Partially because Call of Duty is huge and damn near overshadows literally everything else in the space, but part of it is that they actually have a recognizable character in the form of Captain Price.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
crash missing really isnt a surprise. theres some serious company politics at play with crash. Activision is a pain. rayman has taken a back seat to rabbids these days.
I love Max as much as the next guy but a small game with a smaller budget not being able to get Crash doesn't mean Smash has the same problem. Remember, PSABR failed to get Final Fantasy and Smash just got the literal biggest game on the planet in Smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom