• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

its been a year since this tweet. what if harada actually wasn't lying and got these guys blocked from smash
Isn't Harada the one with the "Dont ask me for ****" shirt?
who IS that lobster thing anyway?
pretty sure its the lobsters from The Amanda Show

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
Maybe I'm wrong but I don't know why Harada would know. I know he has an important position in Bandai Namco, but negotiations with other 3rd party companies are done, as far as we know, between Sakurai/Nintendo and said 3rd party. It's not like Harada or some higher ups at Namco are involved. At least, that's something we don't know.

Harada pretty much likes to troll people. I'm sure he was irritated for real because there are some noisy spammers when it comes to support accounts for Smash, but the part about "I'm gonna tell Sakurai to not put these characters" is plain trolling. I mean, he doesn't decide who gets in and who doesn't. Like, I doubt Sakurai and Nintendo would be like "damn we wanted Crash in Smash but unfortunately we will have to cancel that because of Harada's tweet".

I get the point about "Harada knew about who's in Pass 2 and for that reason he only mentioned fan accounts of characters that he knows aren't DLC" but that's assuming he knows all the characters, which I really doubt. Maybe he would have mentioned other fan accounts, but he just talked about the ones who were actually spamming on his tweets.
I guess it's also because Harada and Sakurai seem to actually talk behind the Scenes. I mean I know Sakurai came to Harada about improving the Smash ultimate Online. Now I know that Discussing the Online and discussing Un-revealed characters is a Different Ball game, but I wouldn't be surprised if Harada actually did know some details about who's coming to Smash. Like he wouldn't even need to be in the Negotations, but if he Comes Visit Sakurai at Sora LTD (or Facetimes him in this time of the Pandemic), He might know what's being developed, including the Mii Costumes and Characters and Project Plans and stuff

Plus if Namco is lending out their support in Helping with Smash development, even with this DLC that might also be a reason he's Privy, but all of this is just a Theory and not an actual Confirmation, so I don't think characters like Arle and Crash should be deconfirmed by this

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

its been a year since this tweet. what if harada actually wasn't lying and got these guys blocked from smash
The most hilarious thing is WHY this happened

the other For Smash accounts were sharing memes in a thread then the first Alberto guy decided to be a dumbass and tag Harada

thus ruining the fun for everyone else

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Not sure if this counts as Smash speculation, but...

Yeah, we've pretty much been going over this in the Isaac thread. Long story short, the things going in our favor are:
  1. Camelot's been unusually silent, with this being the longest they've gone without a new announcement
  2. No new Mario Golf game or whatnot was announced in the anniversary direct, which listed pretty much everything Mario in the near future.
  3. Since Camelot's gone through Ultra Smash and now Aces, they should be more acclimated to HD games now
  4. A new trademark was filed back in 2018, turned down twice, and was finally passed this March. Since generally new trademarks need a mostly finalized project, this would imply that a potential Golden Sun remake would be coming soon, or at least, it was intended to be pre-COVID. This is the most important part, and is the main thing I'll keep going back to.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I don't think that Sakurai would not add a character just because said character's fans trolled a developer. That's just plain ridiculous.
Again, it could be more of an NDA kind of thing, rather than a "Harada is blocking these characters from being in" thing. The theory is that he knows those characters he namedropped in particular like Crash and Arle weren't getting into FP1/FP2 anyways so that's why he specifically called them out. But who knows if it really means anything.

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I'm sure this has been asked here before, but I wanted to hear some opinions. Think of your favorite franchise already represented in Smash. Are you satisfied with how much representation it has?

I still can't get over how much content there is for Mother fans like me. I mean, two characters, a bunch of stages and music, numerous assist trophies, items, and spirits. And for a series that merely consists of cult classics? It's still amazing to see. I'm glad Ultimate was able to bring everything together, and that Shigesato Itoi's legacy in the gaming world lives on...

blackghost

Smash Champion
Yeah, let's be honest, Mortal Kombat will never happen in Smash.
even if i agree making statements of never in smash just dont age well.
Rain was Overshadowing her? I thought it was the other way around, since I see more Mileena talk than Rain, and not because Rain isn't hype, but just because Mileena was getting So Much pushback, that there's the whole thing about the Mileena Stans, and how Boon finally caved in

I get Mileena was in MKX, and I know the Contexts of Smash and MK are different, but here's how I Look at it

Like Waluigi, Mileena Got Major Pushback for not being in MK11, and like Waluigi, it seemed like she wasn't meant to be Playable at least from the start.

And as for Rain, There was also Sadness in him not being Playable, like how People are Sad that characters like Isaac and Shadow aren't Playable yet, and Rain was used as a Move for Shang so it seemed like he might not have been Planned to be Playable

That's why I'm comparing the characters. as for Furhter Comparisons, Noob, Jade, among other Popular veterans that returned would probably be the K.Rool of the game, Fujin is the Banjo of the Game, Spawn is the Ridley of the game (if he were DLC), something like that

Trust Me I won't, I don't want Waluigi that Much (though I think he could be cool), and I would 1000x Prefer Shadow got upgraded over Waluigi
someone will prob get mad i said this but no Mileena s NOTHING like Waluigi. Mileena is more like if marth got taken out of smash. The character has major competitive history and story history. her being gone was a massive mistake. NRS tried to apologize by putting her in friendships and having her moves referenced and fans were still rightfully mad. The mk 11 base roster is a really awkward group havent seen one that bad since soul Calibur 5.

on a side note why did they have Mileena revert to that worse older design??? its a step backward from x (well i guess that follows the pattern of mk 11 anyway.)

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master

Interesting video. I'm skeptical about the leaks and rumors part of the video but the trademarks and Camelot's silence is good evidence that suggests there may be something Golden Sun related coming soon. Whether it's a remake or a brand new game is something I wonder about, but regardless if this does indeed mean Golden Sun is coming back then I think Isaac has a good shot for being part of the second fighters pass.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I'm sure this has been asked here before, but I wanted to hear some opinions. Think of your favorite franchise already represented in Smash. Are you satisfied with how much representation it has?

I still can't get over how much content there is for Mother fans like me. I mean, two characters, a bunch of stages and music, numerous assist trophies, items, and spirits. And for a series that merely consists of cult classics? It's still amazing to see. I'm glad Ultimate was able to bring everything together, and that Shigesato Itoi's legacy in the gaming world lives on...

I need more Kirby

THERE WILL NEVER BE ENOUGH KIRBY

NEVER

7NATOR

Smash Master
even if i agree making statements of never in smash just dont age well.

someone will prob get mad i said this but no Mileena s NOTHING like Waluigi. Mileena is more like if marth got taken out of smash. The character has major competitive history and story history. her being gone was a massive mistake. NRS tried to apologize by putting her in friendships and having her moves referenced and fans were still rightfully mad. The mk 11 base roster is a really awkward group havent seen one that bad since soul Calibur 5.

on a side note why did they have Mileena revert to that worse older design??? its a step backward from x (well i guess that follows the pattern of mk 11 anyway.)
I Mean I Don't know if MK11's Base roster is that bad. They kept Popular characters from X like Kotal and Erron, and they Brought back Popular Veterans Like Jade, Kabal, Skarlet, and Especially Noob, and Frost surprisingly. I Think SC5 Roster was more awkward than that

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
Mortal Kombat is both very niche AND banned from being sold in Japan, so it's likely Sakurai and Nintendo Japan's higher-ups may not even know that it exists.
There is no conceivable way that Nintendo, let alone Sakurai, don't know what Mortal Kombat is. MK11 was put on Switch for crying out loud. It was on the Super Nintendo and N64. It was on Gamecube. Even if those games weren't sold in Japan, Nintendo would know what games are being published on their system.

And to NOT know what is arguably one of the most beloved or at the very least most recognized fighting franchise in the world? C'mon now. Don't act like Nintendo higher ups live in some opal palace in the sky and are blind to anything outside of their own domain. That's not how you business.

And Sakurai, a fighting game enthusiast would most assuredly know what MK is.

Edit: As for niche? MK11 sold 8 million units so far. Compare that to SF5 that sold 4 million. MK isn't niche, it's one of the biggest 'casual' fighters around but has historically struggled to be a good esport unlike other fighters.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master

As a DK fan I think there's loads of great music that should be put in Smash (Jungle Hijinks is nice, but there are more songs than that) and representation will never feel complete to me until Dixie's in.

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
View attachment 288861

I updated the list so it's more accurate. I removed all the characters that are Fighters, assist trophies/pokeball summons or full Mii costumes. Characters who are spirits are left on the board because of Min Min. You can thank me later.

I pick:
Sora (5)
Decidueye (5)
Crash Bandicoot (4)
The lobster thing down in the bottom right corner (1)
I pick:
Monster Hunter (2)
Spyro (3)
Sora (5)
and finally...

Gex (1)

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

Yeah, basically if you’ve been at all present in the Isaac Thread you basically know all this stuff ready. Still, it is nice that it’s compiled together in this one video for people who aren’t all in on speculation. It’s all but confirmed by insiders, evidence, and leakers that SOMETHING Golden Sun is happening very soon. I just hope it didn’t get delayed into 2022.

This also means that should Ultimate expand farther than Season 2 we could see Isaac in that next line up, though I think he may have missed the boat this time. And I fully agree with Max Dood when he said “it is borderline foolish of Nintendo to stop Smash Ultimate after this Fighters Season” and if you think about it, considering a vast majority of us here have spent $55+ on the 2 seasons and Mii Costumes, it’s really impossible to say he’s wrong.

Shroob

Sup?
Yeah, basically if you’ve been at all present in the Isaac Thread you basically know all this stuff ready. Still, it is nice that it’s compiled together in this one video for people who aren’t all in on speculation. It’s all but confirmed by insiders, evidence, and leakers that SOMETHING Golden Sun is happening very soon. I just hope it didn’t get delayed into 2022.

This also means that should Ultimate expand farther than Season 2 we could see Isaac in that next line up, though I think he may have missed the boat this time. And I fully agree with Max Dood when he said “it is borderline foolish of Nintendo to stop Smash Ultimate after this Fighters Season” and if you think about it, considering a vast majority of us here have spent $55+ on the 2 seasons and Mii Costumes, it’s really impossible to say he’s wrong.
Man tho

I want off this train

Last edited:

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
As for Nintendo keeping on supporting Ultimate: If Sakurai and co. get a bit of a break once in a while. I don't want him and his team to basically be shackled to Ultimate for the rest of their friggen lives. However a reasonable flow of content between characters, stages, music, or modes I'd not be unhappy about. Ultimate really should be their 'expand upon it' edition. Next Nintendo system hits? Ultimate Deluxe or something with all the content and updates from before plus a handful of new content and perhaps a few waves of content for that edition, etc.

latsmash

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5085-9089-2026
I highly doubt we're getting a Tekken/DBFZ style season two. If this pass sells (which it probably has) I could see a few post pass characters and stages being added. Waluigi, Isaac, Sora? But we aren't getting anymore passes or guaranteed updates.

SKX31

Smash Master
You know what? Those are fair points.

But if all the Nintendo higher-ups remember is the controversy.... that doesn't help a MK character's chances.
OTOH, Mortal Kombat's so wedded into the controversy to begin with (at least in the public conciousness) that Nintendo would practically have to actively want a MK character to begin with.

Which, yeah, is not likely in the slightest. Although I won't say it's impossible due to the WTF factor (which is the biggest thing going for MK, although the fact that the WTF factor is MK's biggest positive is a major signal that it's far from the status of likely to begin with).

Hmm... not sure which Nintendo franchise is my favorite....

Does Smash Bros count? If so, the Smash Bros. series is represented in the Smash Bros series. by:

• 3 Fighters (The Miis). They're not counted as Mii series characters - instead, Smash Bros. characters (going by their victory themes etc.). Interesting idea, wonkiliy implemented in practice (especially in Smash 4 where one could change the Mii's size - turning Mii Brawler small was just a recipe for jank). Still though, overall it's a very interesting idea - I do think it could be taken further, especially with the costumes.
  • Final Boss status in 5 straight games, baybee! And a new one each game, which is a bonus (In order: Master Hand, Crazy Hand / Giga Bowser, Tabuu, Master Core, Galeem / Dharkon).
  • Bunch of Fighting X Teams in Multi-Man, which serve the same goal anyway. Hey, it was fun slapping Melee's Wire Frame team around for 15 minutes - for the chance to unlock Kongo Jungle.
  • A couple items IIRC... yeah. There are some classic standouts, like being able to play pretend-Jedi with the Beam Sword or annoy people forever with the Fan (RIP Fan 1999-2008, you'll never be forgotten).
  • I'm a competitive nut, so I'll count the competitive scene too. Overall, the competitive scene's been a positive for the franchise.
So yep. I'm satisfied on the whole.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there

For me, my top favorite Nintendo franchises are Mario, Splatoon and Zelda, probably about in that order:

- Mario is represented amazingly well in Smash IMHO. The only thing missing to me is a playable Waluigi and more love for the spin-offs. However, with Mario Odyssey being my favorite video game, the amount of love it got in Ultimate has me satisfied, so I'm good here.

- Splatoon, like Mario, is so dang well represented, and I appreciate it so much. Inklings are my absolute favorite fictional characters and seeing the amount of love they got with the stage, music, Spirits, and of course the Inklings themselves makes me so, so happy. Octolings and some more Splatoon 2 content would be welcome for sure, but as a Splatoon diehard fan? I am 100% satisfied, anything more is just a cherry on top.

- Zelda is really well represented on the grand scale of Smash content period, but I think its roster representation could be better. Three Links and technically two Zeldas and a single Ganondorf is a bit of a bummer deal when unique characters like Midna and Tingle keep getting consistently passed up. Would absolutely adore seeing a Champion like Daruk or Mipha be in FP2, but I'm not super confident Zelda's getting anything this FP so it'll continue to be a pipe dream, lol. Also, just saying, I would be super down for Age of Calamity Impa. :dr^_^:

I love almost every franchise in Smash, but this post is already pretty lengthy and I could probably write an entire essay on things I do and don't like about my favorite series in Smash, so I'll just end it off here, lol. Last thing I'll say though is that Sonic keeps getting robbed. :drsad:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

My favourite franchises are Mario, Donkey Kong Country, Kirby, Pokemon (Maybe not anymore), F-Zero and Banjo-Kazooie.

For Mario, it's got lots of characters and it's pretty much got everyone important, it's got the most music with plenty of variety and 30 stages. However the issue I have is the stages are all pretty samey aesthetically like about 5 of them are grassy plains. Like Nintendo, did you really have to add Golden Plains in the same version that you put in 3D Land? If you had to, why couldn't it have been something like Golden Desert or Golden Tundra? Like you have all these generic worlds you add to the New Super Mario Bros series and you use none of them for Smash?... oh right, Mushroom Kingdom U changes if you have hazards on. Damn it we need a form select for the stage selection screen.

Anyway Donkey Kong Country is next and since I like Donkey Kong Country 1 more than 2, I think the fighter line up is perfect. I wasn't much of a King K. Rool supporter because I only found out that I could want characters after the Smash ballot arrived and Banjo & Kazooie was available so I picked them. Again, not too keen on the stage variety. No Gangplank Galleon or Slip slide Ride but I can't fault Sakurai for that since he had no idea he was eventually going to make Ultimate.

With Kirby, I'm perfectly content with what the series has got. It's got Kirby, Meta Knight and King Dedede so I'm good for fighters, maybe Bandana Dee could join in, maybe as an individual fighter if they'll do that but I'm not too fussed about his absence. Stage variety is great with lots of stages referencing Kirby Super Star/Kirby's Fun Pak which is my favourite Kirby game so that's cool and music selection is great too.

Pokemon has all of it's important Pokemon like Pikachu, Mewtwo and the Pokemon Trainer. Not too keen on Incineroar being the Gen 7 rep as I would have much preferred Decidueye. Stage are fine but the layout for most of them are pretty samey with the whole Small Battlefield design to them, kind of wish they introduced more variety in layouts.

F-Zero is a series that I'd rather see more games from than more content in Smash but honestly I'm just glad that Sakurai actually chose Captain Falcon in Smash 64. I shudder to think of a timeline that Captain Falcon was not picked for Smash. Anyway Captain Falcon holds the series up himself but I wouldn't mind if Pico joined him as a fellow OG racer. I like the Stage variety and the Mute City SNES stage is really cool to see because I used to play the original SNES F-Zero on the Super Nintendo back in my childhood and it really brings me back, much better than seeing 8-bit Small Mario for the 600th time. Then there is the music selection and F-Zero always has a banging soundtrack. Really nice that Sakurai included the SNES tunes so I always use them for that stage.

And finally Banjo-Kazooie... Them being in Smash Bros at all is a miracle to me after Steve took over Microsoft. They can continue on being a dead series and I wouldn't complain. I needed this closure. I'll admit Spiral Mountain isn't the greatest stage, I'd rather had Treasure Trove cove but oh well.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Call it a gut feeling but I'm feeling Puyo Puyo is gonna get a Spirit Event in December.
Edit: As for niche? MK11 sold 8 million units so far. Compare that to SF5 that sold 4 million. MK isn't niche, it's one of the biggest 'casual' fighters around but has historically struggled to be a good esport unlike other fighters.
He could be meaning its niche in Japan which would be reasonable to assume.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Doesn't matter when Nintendo is the one making the suggestions.

If higher-ups at Nintendo Japan don't know MK, then it'll never get considered.
Well, I wasn’t saying Sakurai knowing about MK means it has a shot. I was just saying that’s a foolish assumption.

I think MK has several things that hurts its chances. We’re just now seeing western representation & I imagine that the likes of Crash, Halo, Tomb Raider, Assassin’s Creed, Elder Scrolls, etc... would all be prioritized before MK.

I also think MK’s extreme gore might be another issue. I’m starting to think that series with an emphasis on gore might be out of the running. It could be why Resident Evil & Doom are seemingly out. I think blood is fine, but the more detailed stuff that those three show could be a “No-no”.

I’d love to see Scorpion or Sub-Zero though. Scorpion’s my favorite MK character & usually my main, but I sort of think Sub would be more fun in Smash.

My favorite franchise in Smash is Banjo. I’m pretty happy with how it’s represented. There’s a couple songs I wish were in it & I wish we had Grunty/Mumbo Mii costumes, but overall it’s great.

My favorite Nintendo series are Mario & Fire Emblem, so I’m eating pretty well there lol

If we are getting something related to Golden Sun soon, then they could’ve had Sakurai put in Isaac (or someone else?) to help promote it. If it’s Isaac then the Smash team already has enough material to work with.

With Sakurai’s comment about wanting to please fans with FP2, upgrading a spirit (:ultminmin) & an AT would make sense. That was a really sour spot among fans in the past year, so giving two of those characters a chance to truly join the fight would please a lot of people. Especially if the AT upgrade is one of the longest requested characters.

Last edited:

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
“it is borderline foolish of Nintendo to stop Smash Ultimate after this Fighters Season”
I know there's a lot of people (including myself) who'd definitely agree with that estatement, but one has to wonder: how long can Nintendo really keep supporting such a big game like this? Guys can't do the same amount of fighters in a year as they did last season, I doubt next characters could take as much effort as Steve did, and more importantly: the Switch won't be supported forever. There's that old phrase "what goes up, must come down" and when you reach the levels of quality Ultimate has, there's really no place you can go that isn't down (not necessarily in a bad way as next entries could still be solid games on their own right). Only other choice around is just to port Smash Ultimate each and every generation going forward, but that'd be wishful thinking.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
If we are getting something related to Golden Sun soon, then they could’ve had Sakurai put in Isaac (or someone else?) to help promote it. If it’s Isaac then the Smash team already has enough material to work with.

With Sakurai’s comment about wanting to please fans with FP2, upgrading a spirit (:ultminmin) & an AT would make sense. That was a really sour spot among fans in the past year, so giving two of those characters a chance to truly join the fight would please a lot of people. Especially if the AT upgrade is one of the longest requested characters.
I'm not sure if it would be an explicit promotion in the vein of Hero or Byleth (And even then those aren't 100% promotional; Hero has legacy and Byleth came after 3H rather than before), but if Nintendo's willing to do more with the IP, they could easily take the opportunity to add a fan-favorite to Smash. I'd take more as proof that Nintendo is okay with using Isaac rather than Nintendo wanting Isaac to push their new game, unless they want to create a trinity of suddenly-popular JRPGs with Fire Emblem, Xenoblade Chronicles, and Golden Sun.

Honestly, though, I'd be down for that, and I could see Nintendo benefitting from that as well. There'd be a little something for everyone; A strategy RPG, a real-time/action RPG, and a traditional turn-based RPG. Put 'em up there with Pokemon as a monster-collecting RPG on an RPG-friendly console, and profit.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I also think MK’s extreme gore might be another issue. I’m starting to think that series with an emphasis on gore might be out of the running. It could be why Resident Evil & Doom are seemingly out of the running. I think blood is fine, but the more detailed stuff that those three show could be a “No-no”.
Eh, the complaints some people had for the MK characters in Injustice wasn't their lack of gore but because they wanted comic book characters

As a CastleVania fan I'm mostly eating good but the Chronicles of Sorrow deserves more than 3 songs for the entire duology. That, and Order of Ecclesia outright got robbed with just 2 songs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom