• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
The Tales rep should be Velvet because 1: I'm gay, 2: Symphonia bored me to the point of dropping it after 18 hours, 3: She's got a **** ton of unique qualities, not just in comparison to Lloyd and Yuri, but compared to ANY character. Who else could you say has her unique dual wielding style where one sword's on her foot alongside a giant demonic claw that eats people and lets her steal powers? And finally 4: I'm very gay
So, who's this Velvet character? Looks up

I, too, am very gay and this is a very valid reason to add her 😳

KillerCage

Smash Master
Agumon would be a really interesting addition. I wonder how they'd make Digivolving work? It was kind of a comeback factor in the anime, and people tend to dislike comeback factors, though the devs don't seem to mind them. Makes me think Greymon could be like Arsene, except he'd stick around longer and have the downside of being Charizard-sized. Maybe they could even let you Digivolve into Greymon at will after a while, instead of not having as much control over when he comes out. Kind of a Joker/PT hybrid, I'd love that!

I imagine swords would be really annoying to carry around all the time, no matter how you held them. Dunno how JRPG characters don't get tired of it, lol
You could even have the Final Smash have Agumon/Greymon warp-digivolve into Wargreymon and unleash Terra Force upon his opponent(s).

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Again, that's what I'm saying lol. That's why I can't believe when people say things like CP8 will be in, March, over 140 days since Steve came out. Like, holy crap.

You really gonna say a tiny version of an existing stage "Changed the game" more than the guy who literally needed over 110 stages to be updated to accommodate him?

View attachment 288803
Yep. If Steve isn't in the game, it doesnt mean anything. From a competitive standpoint, Small Battlefield will be significantly more seen. Numerically I just cannot see this as untrue. This is the competitive Smash Scene.

Now, if we are talking characters- that becomes speculation, and then a release date has no merit.

Shroob

Sup?
Yep. If Steve isn't in the game, it doesnt mean anything. From a competitive standpoint, Small Battlefield will be significantly more seen. Numerically I just cannot see this as untrue. This is the competitive Smash Scene.

Now, if we are talking characters- that becomes speculation, and then a release date has no merit.
I mean, we ARE in the speculation thread, so

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
So, who's this Velvet character? Looks up

I, too, am very gay and this is a very valid reason to add her 😳
Wait till you learn about her actual character. Velvet's easily one of my favourite female protags in gaming, Berseria tends to go for like 12 bucks on Steam so I can highly recommend

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I mean, we ARE in the speculation thread, so
Okay. Then my initial point was valid, and you cannot use release dates AND reveal dates as 'new' information. Joker was December and Hero was June.

7NATOR

Smash Master
The Namco Costumes Don't look to good for Lloyd, though I could see a situation where they are getting those Costumes out the way so they can have Some Tales Exclusive Costumes (Like Yuri, Cress, etc), and perhaps Brand New Namco Costumes, or Perhaps other way around if It's Another Namco Character

I do think though that Perhaps. how they are Placing the Veteran Mii Costumes is more Sophisticated than we might think it is. I think every Veteran Costume did have a Rightful place in the Pack they were placed in, Except I'm confused about .EXE and X with Byleth. I also don't know about Gil, but I believe something about his Game or his Armor fits with Minecraft (Like How Bomberman is about Destroying, the Opposite of Minecraft's Purpose of Creation). Looking it up, there's an Emphasis on Treasure in his game, so that could be it

Proto Man and Zero with Banjo: Zero and Proto Man were requested Mega Man Characters (why Proto Man got into Mega Man's Final Smash, and Zero is an AT)

Akira and Jacky with Terry: Fighting Games

.EXE and X with Byleth: I'm not sure

Heihachi With Min-Min: Also Fighting Game

Gil with Steve: Treasure perhaps

blackghost

Smash Champion
As someone who has quite literally no experience with the Tales franchise, my personal pick would be Alphen from that upcoming Arise game.

Black armor, blue cape, white hair, broken mask, giant flaming sword...
He appeals to all my edgy design sensibilities.
LOL you just picked the character that looks like he could be in DMC. dont lie.

Is it sorta weird that to me, assassinate feels like it fits less compared to just murder? Like I guess after games like Assassin's Creed, Dishonoured, etc, assassinate sounds more like stylish murder, where in Yuri's case, there's no style or whatnot. No, he just goes out and murders the two pricks because he knows they won't get punished for their crimes. Although it is cool that, while he isn't punished for doing so, it still comes back to bite him later when he has to help a man he really respects commit seppuku.
it could be the lawyer in me talking but assassinate has a legal definition and it fits here. yuri does a targeted political killing.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Seems to me like this whole debate is more complicated than it needs to be. Or at least, more direct than trivially arguing as what counts as DLC and what doesn’t.

The worst case scenario date is December 2021. That’s roughly 13-14 months from now.

We have 4 characters left. At worst in pass 1, it was over 3 months, but aside from that we had a usual wait of around 2-3 months.

In other words, if the last 4 characters have a mean average of 3 months per character, then we’ll be done in October 2021, leaving a wee bit of wiggle room for a character to be revealed a month or two later.

Basically, our schedule should look something like this:

CP8: January-February (reveal in December OR January)

CP9: May-June (could be E3)

CP10: June- August (double E3 or singular reveal)

CP11: October-November

Give or take a bit of time I feel this is somewhat believable of a timeline for releases. Basically I wouldn’t expect a new character reveal within 2 months of another.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
....No, I don't get this logic at all.

Because between December and E3, we actually got to play as Joker, which made the wait feel less.
If releases matter, then playstyle matters. If playstyle/gaming matters, then playing the game matters. If gameplay matters, then a new competitive stage matters. If gameplay matters, then the single most viable new stage counts significantly more than one character out of 80.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
If releases matter, then playstyle matters. If playstyle/gaming matters, then playing the game matters. If gameplay matters, then a new competitive stage matters. If gameplay matters, then the single most viable new stage counts significantly more than one character out of 80.
I mean, sir, this is the speculation thread, where we discuss what funny hoo haa men and women we want in the game, I don't think many, if any, of us care about competitive play.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I mean, sir, this is the speculation thread, where we discuss what funny hoo haa men and women we want in the game, I don't think many, if any, of us care about competitive play.
To become more aligned with the competitive scene I suggest we bring up Vergil, 3SAkuma, Zero and more very frequently

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I mean, I don't. But if you don't care about competitive play, it is oxymoronic to count release of characters as valid. Only the reveal matters, because that's when speculation stops. We...you, explicitly.... are already speculating the next character. Steve isn't even out. The release doesnt matter as far as speculation goes. Your own actions have proven this.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I mean, I don't. But if you don't care about competitive play, it is oxymoronic to count release of characters as valid. Only the reveal matters, because that's when speculation stops. We...you, explicitly.... are already speculating the next character. Steve isn't even out. The release doesnt matter as far as speculation goes. Your own actions have proven this.
Because when we can play as a character, it basically gives us something to do for a bit, it's new, it's exciting.

Small Battlefield exists, it's novel, but to any non-competitive player, the most exciting thing about it was the prospect of free stages being added. I don't wanna say that no one cares about Small Battlefield, but at the same time, if you sat down a dozen or so people in a room and asked them what they found more exciting, between a small version of an existing stage, and Minecraft Steve, I'd wager they'd pick Steve.

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
I have no experience with the Tales series, but my choices would be either Yuri or Velvet.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Seems to me like this whole debate is more complicated than it needs to be. Or at least, more direct than trivially arguing as what counts as DLC and what doesn’t.

The worst case scenario date is December 2021. That’s roughly 13-14 months from now.

We have 4 characters left. At worst in pass 1, it was over 3 months, but aside from that we had a usual wait of around 2-3 months.

In other words, if the last 4 characters have a mean average of 3 months per character, then we’ll be done in October 2021, leaving a wee bit of wiggle room for a character to be revealed a month or two later.

Basically, our schedule should look something like this:

CP8: January-February (reveal in December OR January)

CP9: May-June (could be E3)

CP10: June- August (double E3 or singular reveal)

CP11: October-November

Give or take a bit of time I feel this is somewhat believable of a timeline for releases. Basically I wouldn’t expect a new character reveal within 2 months of another.
Looking at this Schedule, I actually think that Perhaps Whoever FP9 is Might have Another Guessing Game, or at the least we might see News About them before E3.

I also do think there's a Possiblity that Whoever FP11 is could be Shown at E3 along with FP10, if FP9 comes out before or something like that.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Looking at this Schedule, I actually think that Perhaps Whoever FP9 is Might have Another Guessing Game, or at the least we might see News About them before E3.

I also do think there's a Possiblity that Whoever FP11 is could be Shown at E3 along with FP10, if FP9 comes out before or something like that.
To be honest the only plausible Guess Who would be for Pokémon, but that also seems like a one off thing with ARMS in my humble opinion.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I think the guess who was a one time thing as well. Pokémon would be viable for it but I can’t see them doing that.

I think we’re just going to have to wait for a little while and judging by the window or releases it looks like that next announcement will be in February. Maaaaybe January if we’re lucky, and possibly March if we’re unlucky.

SKX31

Smash Master
Two thoughs:

First, the hoo haa meta of early Smash 4. Maybe we should bring in more characters that easily get grabs -> up air KO confirms no matter the % :4dedede: .

Second, oh god. You reminded me of the darkest days in Dota 2. The era where the game's resident Sniper benefited heavily from the then-introduced rubber band mechanics. Oh and said Sniper got his long-ranged Shrapnel buffed so he could slow you down nearly constantly with the most annoying dwarf voice in the background - ho ho ha ha.

Aaargh. (Fun fact: Dota 2's Sniper is voiced by TF2's Heavy / Demoman. Not TF2 Sniper.)

To become more aligned with the competitive scene I suggest we bring up Vergil, 3SAkuma, Zero and more very frequently
I'm going to use this as an excuse to bring up Kat since she was OP as hell in PSASBR. Kinda like the Bayo situation where neither were really patched (nor was :metaknight: ), but Kat could combo and kill-confirm in so many different ways (helps that her level 1 super was relatively easy to land).

Also, Vergil forever be, to quote his brother, the "King of Cheap Moves" in my heart. Dude could literally start combos by hitting people behind him and pressure like no toworrow.

To be honest the only plausible Guess Who would be for Pokémon, but that also seems like a one off thing with ARMS in my humble opinion.
They should take a page from the anime in that case and use "Who's that Pokemon?" - except have the silhouette be so generic that 15 different Pokemon are close to the correct answer.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I think the ARMS guessing game was because Min Min was taking longer than expected, and so they needed something to tie us over. There's also the fact that ARMS is one of the few games that would work for it. If it was someone big like, say, Steve, I'm sure we would've known who they were right off the bat.
"IT'S DEFINITELY GONNA BE ENDERMAN, JUST YOU WAIT!"

Last edited:

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
Like, having different materials is the part that makes him overcomplicated. It would be one thing if he just had a generic "Materials" meter that he had to fill up by mining. And then you spent that meter on upgrading or to use certain moves. That'd put him on about the same level as Inklings. But having specific materials needed for specific moves and upgrades you have to mine from specific surfaces is, frankly, ridiculous.
Well, it makes sense, given it's Minecraft. The game's more complex than it looks.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
I honestly don't understand you're point. A series with more sales and media didn't do well for a time period, and therefore makes less sense?
I truly don't care enough to visit a Lloyd page. If he is important enough to be mentioned here for three pages, it's important
You're asking for arguments for or against and I'm giving them. Tales has consistency, legacy, and global reliability specifically in the gaming space while Digimon has legacy and is only now coming out of a decade+ long slump, which brought down their fan demand in the period Smash is relevant if you think that's a big factor in Nintendo's decision-making. That isn't to say Agumon can't happen, but Lloyd or any other Tales character can as well.

You did sales research, so I'm not sure why you can't take a quick look in a support thread to see what Lloyd would bring to the table in the form of Overlimit and other moveset potential. If you don't want to do that, that's on you.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I think the ARMS guessing game was because Min Min was taking longer than expected, and so they needed something to tie us over. There's also the fact that ARMS is one of the few games that would work for it. If it was someone big like, say, Steve, I'm sure we would've known who they were right off the bat.
It really only works for series with massive supporting casts and no clear frontrunner.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Seriously, all things considered, Steve's moveset is made easier in compared to Minecraft as a whole. There's stuff you can't simply do even within his moveset in actual Minecraft without getting some items.
It goes without saying that any character's moveset will be simpler than the game of origin. Smash plays on a 2D plane and only has 2 buttons for moves. That doesn't mean Steve's moveset isn't complex.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
You know what's odd? Us having a discussion about Yuri's chances for Smash Bros and yet none of us mentioning his crossover appearances in both Project X Zone 1 & 2 and Granblue Fantasy(he's in the game alongside Ryu AND Joker). Oh, and he is an idol in Idolmaster SideM, but that's hardly important.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Honestly, if their going to make us wait 3+ months for every additional fighter reveal, I wouldn't mind them doing like last time with Small Battlefield and include a small update around every halfway point of development between Challenger Packs to tide us over.

Like maybe another free stage, or maybe a new mode or an update to an existing mode, like allowing us to make our own custom Break the Targets stages on Stage Builder or something would be nice...

But maybe that's just me...

7NATOR

Smash Master
Actually Though, If we only got One RPG Character this Pass, who do you think it would be?

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
It goes without saying that any character's moveset will be simpler than the game of origin. Smash plays on a 2D plane and only has 2 buttons for moves. That doesn't mean Steve's moveset isn't complex.
Yeah, but I'm talking about how it makes sense WHY he's so complex, that's all. Sorry if my wording is off .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom