• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Well here's a new topic...

So. Steve happened.

Steve is probably very expensive to acquire. Potentially one of the most expensive characters on the roster and most likely the most expensive third party character.

Not only that, but Steve was also a very expensive character to make.

Did Steve take most of the budget? And how will that affect the pass?
I can't imagine a character like Steve would cost that much since Microsoft seems pretty generous with Minecraft and you can find it on any console (It's on the Ouya of all things if you remember that console) and I don't know if a character's polygons fits anywhere on the bill but that probably wouldn't over-inflate it if it was the case. One thing to note is that Sakurai did mention that they had to reprogram all of the stages to include mining and building so that probably did cost them a fair amount.

On top of that, this pass spans about 2 years so I have to believe there has to be larger budget than in Pass 1. I think we'll still get 2 big characters within this pass, probably Sora and Crash Bandicoot (If he's considered big) then the pass will start to calm down. That's my take on things anyway.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Here's an interesting take.

As we all know, each E3 for Smash has at least one big megaton news: Megaman for 2013, Pac-Man for 2014 (behind doors for some reason), Ryu for 2015, Everyone is Here + Ridley for 2018, Hero/Banjo & Kazooie for 2019, and more likely than not, Steve was meant to be for this year's E3 before the world imploded on itself.

But unlike the first Fighter's Pass, which was only supposed to go on for a year, FP2 has a deadline of December 2021, which, at the very least, means this was supposed to go through two E3s.

This is kinda making me think there's another "megaton" character on the pass, one that would of been the headliner for E3 next year had, again, COVID not taken over the planet.

Shroob

Sup?

As we all know, each E3 for Smash has at least one big megaton news: Megaman for 2013, Pac-Man for 2014 (behind doors for some reason), Ryu for 2015, Everyone is Here + Ridley for 2018, Hero/Banjo & Kazooie for 2019, and more likely than not, Steve was meant to be for this year's E3 before the world imploded on itself.

But unlike the first Fighter's Pass, which was only supposed to go on for a year, FP2 has a deadline of December 2021, which, at the very least, means this was supposed to go through two E3s.

This is kinda making me think there's another "megaton" character on the pass, one that would of been the headliner for E3 next year had, again, COVID not taken over the planet.
I'm still standing by Crash tbh.

Hayabusa as our next character maybe, and then depending on how fast the characters come out, CP9 in April and Crash as CP10 at E3, or CP9 at E3 as Crash.

We can't really say how long the gap between characters will be based on a single gap, so whenever we see CP8, that should give us an ok idea if CP9 or CP10 will be at E3.

7NATOR

Smash Master

If Crash is in the Pass, I think that would be Perfect time, especially since I believe that's the Aniversary of his Series

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

I think we could get two megaton characters and next year might work out sort of like how Fighter Pass 1 did, reveal a character at the game awards, release character in Spring, 2 characters for the Summer or E3 if that's going to be happening next year, and then reveal the last character during Autumn/Fall.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I think we could get two megaton characters and this year might work out sort of like how Fighter Pass 1 did, reveal a character at the game awards, release character in Spring, 2 characters for the Summer or E3 if that's going to be happening next year, and then reveal the last character during Autumn/Fall.
My big concern with a character in spring is that that would be an enormous gap. Assuming you mean March at the earliest for spring, that's still 139 days since Steve came out going by March 1st, and I really doubt the character would come out March 1st, meaning it'd probably be closer to 150, effectively 5 months.

Yeah, Joker took roughly that long too, but Plant came out 2 months earlier(And Joker was technically the first pass character, CP8 is the 3rd, meaning there's no real excuse). Kinda would feel smoother if things went winter > spring > summer > fall imo at least.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
My big concern with a character in spring is that that would be an enormous gap. Assuming you mean March at the earliest for spring, that's still 139 days since Steve came out going by March 1st, and I really doubt the character would come out March 1st, meaning it'd probably be closer to 150, effectively 5 months.

Yeah, Joker took roughly that long too, but Plant came out 2 months earlier. Kinda would feel smoother if things went winter > spring > summer > fall imo at least.
Would a Joker style reveal for the game awards, then gameplay trailer for late January then release in March semi fix things? Or maybe a small battlefield kind of update in the middle? I don't know.

Shroob

Sup?
Would a Joker style reveal for the game awards, then gameplay trailer for late January then release in March semi fix things? Or maybe a small battlefield kind of update in the middle? I don't know.
I feel like if we're getting a gameplay reveal in January, then why isn't the character just coming out? Like, every gameplay > release combo has basically been only a few weeks of each other, it would be VERY odd to basically sacrifice the entire month of February.

I'm not really sold on a TGA reveal, albeit, this 'may' be the last year for it depending on how next year's DLC cycle pans out, so I'm not counting it out entirely, but waiting 5 months for this character is absurd. Steve only took 3 after Min Min and he was hands down, and probably will be hands down, the most complex of the pass period.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
The thing is, people do talk about sleeper characters they think are possible. I feel like every few pages you'll find people that randomly bring up an obscure character with a small fanbase that only they and a few others think is possible.

... And then no one follows up because barely anyone's ever heard of them and no one thinks they're likely.

Unrelated, what do yall think about the Demi-fiend from Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne which has a recent rerelease in Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne: HD Remaster along with a new upcoming mainline game in Shin Megami Tensei V, both of which on the Nintendo Switch?
View attachment 288772
Crickets
I've heard of Demi-fiend! I want him pretty badly! I don't think he's super likely, but he's not all that unlikely either. He'd make a good unexpected pick, kinda like Terry.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master

Probably Crash Bandicoot or Dante would be the next E3 reveal. Maybe it'll be a fan-favorite like Waluigi, Isaac or Geno though.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
If we're still on the topic of Mii costumes, I've got a question concerning their music; what tracks would you want to see pop up alongside such an outfit? This is an absolute bop that I think is perfect for fighting in this game.
Welp you’ve got me into the Lobotomy Corporation rabbit hole

Kinda wanna get it now

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Part of me is wondering that the reason why the second pass is taking a year longer than the first one despite only having one extra character is because a large number of the fighters will introduce new and weird mechanics that are exclusive to them and have never been in Smash before. Back during the Fighters Pass 2 announcement Sakurai said that with an already large roster the team has focused heavily on introducing new mechanics to the DLC fighters to make them unique and incentivize people to try them out.

I wonder if in Fighters Pass 2 they went the extra mile with this idea and incorporated never before seen mechanics for some of the fighters. With Min Min we had the expanding ARMS and switching between them. With Steve we have block placement, mining resources, and crafting. Perhaps the mechanics of the fighters were so complex that it required the two year time span. I expect at the very least one or two more fighters that introduce complex mechanics that require a lot of work. Rex with his blade switching could fit this. Dante and Monster Hunter are two characters that are self-explanatory and bring a ton of new mechanics to Smash as well. Reimu with her grazing mechanic is also another weird new mechanic for Smash.

This doesn't really limit the number of potential candidates to speculate about since we don't even know the exact number of characters that could introduce mechanics that require a ton of work in this pass. But it does bring a fun topic to discuss about.

Last edited:

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Part of me is wondering that the reason why the second pass is taking a year longer than the first one despite only having one extra character is because a large number of the fighters will introduce new and weird mechanics that are exclusive to them and have never been in Smash before. Back during the Fighters Pass 2 announcement Sakurai said that with an already large roster the team has focused heavily on introducing new mechanics to the DLC fighters to make them unique and incentivize people to try them out.

I wonder if in Fighters Pass 2 they went the extra mile with this idea and incorporated never before seen mechanics for some of the fighters. With Min Min we had the expanding ARMS and switching between them. With Steve we have block placement, mining resources, and crafting. Perhaps the mechanics of the fighters were so complex that it required the two year time span. I expect at the very least one or two more fighters that introduce complex mechanics that require a lot of work. Rex with his blade switching could fit this. Dante and Monster Hunter are two characters that are self-explanatory and bring a ton of new mechanics to Smash as well. Reimu with her grazing mechanic is also another weird new mechanic for Smash.

This doesn't really limit the number of potential candidates to speculate about since we don't even know the exact number of characters that could introduce mechanics that require a ton of work in this pass. But it does bring a fun topic to discuss about.
This post makes me think about the gun switching/ammo management concept moveset I had for Gordon. Now I am seriously wondering if Sakurai might actually be doing something like that for someone in this pass, but with more than four guns.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I consider that a bad thing...
It's definitely not always the right choice...:ultbanjokazooie:...
but I think it's amazing from a technical standpoint. I'd probably go into game creation if I restarted my career, and Sakurai would have been a huge inspiration.

Without complexity, some characters wouldnt function like themselves. :ultminmin and Steve included.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Well here's a new topic...

So. Steve happened.

Steve is probably very expensive to acquire. Potentially one of the most expensive characters on the roster and most likely the most expensive third party character.

Not only that, but Steve was also a very expensive character to make.

Did Steve take most of the budget? And how will that affect the pass?
if ****ing Minecraft affects the rest of the pass, imma be upset

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
Don't you support Travis, Sora, and Professor Layton? Hardly uncommon taste there.
I did support Travis buyt we all know how that went. The Professor Layton thread is so dead that you would think he ain't even that much of a common character asked for. Tho the sora thread is pretty active

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I mean, I feel like it completely depends where the chips fall in the end. We don't really 'know' how fast the next characters will come out, hell, we don't even know if we'll have an E3 this year and if ****ing BotW2 will just get a shadow dropped Direct, we can 'assume' a 3 month gap since it was 3 months between Min Min and Steve, but then Steve also needed a ****ton of work so who's to say if things don't get a bit faster now if all the future characters are less intensive?

In a perfect world, we go back to how the first pass was now that Steve's done, with a character every 2 months and don't worry about the December 2021 deadline, but COVID and all that fun ****.
We didn't get a character every two months in the first pass. We went from Joker in December until E3 in June- that's half a year. All these theories about time waited and this being the longest time frame are rubbish, and mathematically incorrect. That was a brutal wait.
--people are already spending majority of the time on here discussing the next character. It doesn't seem to matter what the character is, it will only ever be about the next one.

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Yeah, I definitely think our next 4 are going to be very gimmicky. Imagine if Skull Kid gets in for example, with how Majora's VERY OBVIOUSLY evil, you could have a very complicated corruption gimmick. Where he has to get into his Lot Weaker Base Kit sometimes just to prevent himself from dying via too much corruption.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
And both Isaac and Phoenix are in that bag IMO, Isaac both because he is one of the few characters that would bring a new Nintendo IP as fighter and because he is a long requested character, and Pheonix because its strong ties to Nintendo and the new genre he would bring.
I agree with your overall comment, but this sentence is just not accurate. Nintendo series that could still be big enough to get a character are not in short supply.

• Golden Sun,
  • Chibi Robo,
  • Excite Bike/ Mach Rider,
  • Panel de Pon,
  • 'Wars,
  • Balloon Fight,
  • Custom Robo,
  • Brain Age/ Big Brain Academy,
  • Rhythm Heaven

Need I go on?

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

I think having to balance Sol Badguy having anime fighter mechanics against a cast without air dashing, burst, Roman cancels etc., plus having a large number of specials would take plenty of time. If disabling an AT when someone's playing as Isaac doesn't take plenty of time, giving him different specials depending on what Djinn are equipped would.

...this is going to turn into "explain why your most wanted characters would take a buttload of work" isn't it

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I think having to balance Sol Badguy having anime fighter mechanics against a cast without air dashing, burst, Roman cancels etc., plus having a large number of specials would take plenty of time. If disabling an AT when someone's playing as Isaac doesn't take plenty of time, giving him different specials depending on what Djinn are equipped would.

...this is going to turn into "explain why your most wanted characters would take a buttload of work" isn't it
As for air dashing, I think the solution is obvious. Just like in his games if Sol does an air dash he loses his second jump.

Anyway I don't think Sol would get every Guilty Gear mechanic if he gets in. That might be somewhat crazy if you ask me.

The easy route, I think, would be
  • Air dash
  • Two side specials, just like Terry
  • Dragon Install transformation, could work similarly to Joker's Rebellion Gauge I guess?
  • Special victory screen transition if he wins using his Final Smash

Don't get me wrong I'd love to see Burst, Roman Cancels, Tension Gauge, but idk. Roman Cancels are a big part of the series so I could see it being part of Sol's moveset but I feel it would be a hard mechanic to properly implement to Smash.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Have you guys seen this poll? It's differently set up to most, but I like it. You should vote in it, or cheer rather
After seeing some Thwomp edit whose description was ****ting on some random person be one of the top characters a couple of days ago, I'll pass.

Goombaic

Smash Ace

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
If Phoenix Wright does manage to get in. I want there to be fanart between him and Banjo given their honorary Nintendo characters given the strong ties to it.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Have you guys seen this poll? It's differently set up to most, but I like it. You should vote in it, or cheer rather
Pappy Van Poodle is ranked higher than characters more commonly discussed...

Not even paying attention to this.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

Isaac would absolutely take a lot of work if he were to play true to game. If he didnt have psynergy (magic), his Giant hand (which is Psynergy but a staple), and summonable Djinn with different moves, it wouldn't be Isaac.

But again... Eevee would also take a lot of work.

This hype get's me all in on two of my most wanted. So-------- I support this theory, because that's how we do it in speculation.

(Then again, Crash and Lara Croft would be incredibly simple....)

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
Isaac would absolutely take a lot of work if he were to play true to game. If he didnt have psynergy (magic), his Giant hand (which is Psynergy but a staple), and summonable Djinn with different moves, it wouldn't be Isaac.

But again... Eevee would also take a lot of work.

This hype get's me all in on two of my most wanted. So-------- I support this theory, because that's how we do it in speculation.

(Then again, Crash and Lara Croft would be incredibly simple....)
I definitely think a character like Ruby Heart would take a crap ton of balancing to get right if she were to get in. Jessie and James would also require a bit of animation as well as two new models for one new Fighter. Three Models like so on Stage at once x8 would definitely require a bunch of work.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Am still thinking the very last FP2 character will be a Zelda character because of BotW2 and AoC as well as the Zelda anniversary next year. It would be the ideal anniversary present. And I suspect it'll be Impa, with DLC costumes for Link and Zelda, BotW Zelda being one of them, Knight Link being another, as well as BotW inspired costumes for both.

Am also still hoping for Isaac. He seems a very solid choice and would fall in line with other huge requests as K.Rool, Ridley, Banjo and possibly Steve.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Am still thinking the very last FP2 character will be a Zelda character because of BotW2 and AoC as well as the Zelda anniversary next year. It would be the ideal anniversary present. And I suspect it'll be Impa, with DLC costumes for Link and Zelda, BotW Zelda being one of them, Knight Link being another, as well as BotW inspired costumes for both.

Am also still hoping for Isaac. He seems a very solid choice and would fall in line with other huge requests as K.Rool, Ridley, Banjo and possibly Steve.
I'd be kinda bummed by it, so I can see it happening.

cashregister9

Smash Hero

I mean i've heard crazier things but we didn't get a Mario character for his anniversary. It doesn't seem like Anniversaries coincide with Smash at all

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Nah, like I said I expect at the most two more fighters that would be mechanically complex. There's not a guarantee that every fighter would require a ton of work in this pass. At the very least this is an opportunity for fans of a character to showcase their entire moveset potential without having the fear of going too far, after Steve there isn't anything called going too far. :p

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Yo Mortal Kombat 11 is getting an Ultimate edition next month. How can we twist it into a smash speculation?

Um.....Rambo for Smash?
Only if he's based off the NES Rambo, where Rambo throws a Kanji figure to turn people into frogs.

And yes, that does happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom