• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
The poll did take place before the ARMS tease so first parties weren't really voted for that much. Only 9 cracked the top 50. I summarized the results for the first parties when that poll's results came around.
Andy is tied with Edelgard in that poll for the #41 spot. I didn't see him listed on your list.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
If the rest of the pass was...

Geno
Lloyd
Monster Hunter
Ryu Hayabusa

How would you react?
I'd be fine with it.

I feel like discussion will get a lot more exciting if/when Ryu gets shown off since it seems like everyone kinda expects him to pop up soon now.

SNEKeater

Smash Master

Geno
Lloyd
Monster Hunter
Ryu Hayabusa

How would you react?
Very cool for me.

The bad thing, it would be very predictable. Those names have been discussed a lot, specially Geno and Hayabusa, since Ultimate was released.

Not that it's that important in my opinion, because in the end what matters is if the character is cool and if said character has supporters. But I always appreciate a surprise or something.

Goombaic

Smash Ace
Andy is tied with Edelgard in that poll for the #41 spot. I didn't see him listed on your list.
Woops. No one ever corrected me all those months ago so I'm surprised there actually was a mistake there the whole time, especially for a character that ,while I'm not the biggest supporter of, is one of that I agree is an omission for Smash's first party line-up. Fixed it.

Reactions: Ura

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul

Geno
Lloyd
Monster Hunter
Ryu Hayabusa

How would you react?
Monster Hunter is one of my most wanted and I'd be fine with Hayabusa and Lloyd despite knowing very little about their series (I have been interested in trying out Tales Of, though).

Geno as a character is just whatever to me but I do really enjoy SMRPG, so I guess he still gets a pass.

Shroob

Sup?
Ya know, I'm gonna say something that'll 100% bite me in the ass.

I don't think it's that outlandish for another character to drop this year, namely, sometime in December.

Yeah, I know, Steve isn't out yet, but when I see people peg Feb/March for CP8's drop, while that would definitely still work, that'd be 4-5 months since Steve came out, and while I personally don't expect it to happen considering the 3 month gap between Min Min and Steve, I kinda feel like January makes the most sense, it'd put us 100 days since Steve came out by that point if we go to late January, though at the same time, I kinda can't shake this strange feeling about December.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master

I don't think it's that outlandish for another character to drop this year, namely, sometime in December.

Yeah, I know, Steve isn't out yet, but when I see people peg Feb/March for CP8's drop, while that would definitely still work, that'd be 4-5 months since Steve came out, and while I personally don't expect it to happen considering the 3 month gap between Min Min and Steve, I kinda feel like January makes the most sense, it'd put us 100 days since Steve came out by that point if we go to late January, though at the same time, I kinda can't shake this strange feeling about December.
I mean we did get relatively short times between characters in the first pass. That doesn't mean shorter times for the second are a given, but as we don't know the complexity of who else is to come, assuming it must be three months between fighters could be as mistaken as anything else.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord

The Game Awards will be happening in December. No, it doesn't guarantee a Smash reveal in December, as the 2019 Game Awards demonstrated... but the possibility's still there, as the 2018 Game Awards demonstrated.

Also, we know why Min Min and Steve took quite a while compared to the previous Pass characters: both were very complex in terms of gameplay, with Steve in particular requiring 90% of the game to be reworked just to accommodate him and his moveset. Unless the next character is similarly complicated, I fully expect Fighter 8 to at least be revealed before the end of the year, even if they're not releasing until 2021.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

Geno
Lloyd
Monster Hunter
Ryu Hayabusa

How would you react?
I'd be happy, though I'd find it a bit of a shame that we didn't get Dante. (then again, I'm not super familiar with Monster Hunter; Tri was tough to get into, and I'm not sure if my computer can run Monster Hunter World)

Shroob

Sup?
The thing I'm kinda wondering.

Technically speaking, the Ninja Gaiden HD Collection hasn't officially been revealed, it's only been leaked via ratings boards.

Game Awards seems like a good place to officially announce it, considering it releases in March, supposedly.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

Geno
Lloyd
Monster Hunter
Ryu Hayabusa

How would you react?
I wouldn't be too excited, but I would accept it. Geno would be in and I already got K. Rool, Ridley, and Banjo & Kazooie so I would probably call it a day with this game if at least one more character I want get's in.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
The Game Awards will be happening in December. No, it doesn't guarantee a Smash reveal in December, as the 2019 Game Awards demonstrated... but the possibility's still there, as the 2018 Game Awards demonstrated.

Also, we know why Min Min and Steve took quite a while compared to the previous Pass characters: both were very complex in terms of gameplay, with Steve in particular requiring 90% of the game to be reworked just to accommodate him and his moveset. Unless the next character is similarly complicated, I fully expect Fighter 8 to at least be revealed before the end of the year, even if they're not releasing until 2021.
This makes think of a personal roadmap:

CP8: March 2021
CP9: June 2021
CP10: September 2021
CP11: December 2021

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Dunno why, but Ryu Hayabusa feels like he'll be the Terry of Fighter Pass 2.

Both not being a frequently demanded character but still had a fair following that made it in.

Of course, there's still the chance he might not make but at this point, I'm pretty certain given the whole Steve 5 year negotiations, and Vergeben having basically right about Minecraft content.

At this point, Ryu Hayabusa feels like the new "Erdrick" and also Kencineroar of DLC.

Shroob

Sup?
This makes think of a personal roadmap:

CP8: March 2021
CP9: June 2021
CP10: September 2021
CP11: December 2021
March seems... a bit too long? Like, that'll be 6 months since Steve had came out.

I think we're soo focused on the December 2021 date that people kinda forget that it's a placeholder date, much like a lot of games that have unreleased exact dates have. The pass will be done by December 2021, but I don't think it necessarily has to be December 2021 for it to finish tbh.

Shroob

Sup?
I mean its possible if the next character is also complex.
I mean, if we're thinking it's Ryu due to the HD Collection and all the leaks around him, I don't think he'll be anywhere near the complexity of Steve, the guy who had to have every map updated to include him.

I don't think Hayabusa will be a mechanically easy character to play as, since I think he'll be a very fast, very hacky-slashy kinda character, but I don't think he'll be akin to someone like Steve in terms of complexity.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I mean, if we're thinking it's Ryu due to the HD Collection and all the leaks around him, I don't think he'll be anywhere near the complexity of Steve, the guy who had to have every map updated to include him.

I don't think Hayabusa will be a mechanically easy character to play as, since I think he'll be a very fast, very hacky-slashy kinda character, but I don't think he'll be akin to someone like Steve in terms of complexity.
I wasn't saying it had to be Ryu Hayabusa. That's why I said "next character".

If it is Ryu Hayabusa, which I'm certain it is, or is at some point in this pass, I wouldn't expect it to be as long as the last two were.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I mean its possible if the next character is also complex.
i can't imagine there'll be a character who needs double the dev time of steve.

unless they're adding a Steven Universe rep and their gimmick is that they are animated (and go heavily off model every so often).

SharkLord

Smash Hero

Both not being a frequently demanded character but still had a fair following that made it in.

Of course, there's still the chance he might not make but at this point, I'm pretty certain given the whole Steve 5 year negotiations, and Vergeben having basically right about Minecraft content.

At this point, Ryu Hayabusa feels like the new "Erdrick" and also Kencineroar of DLC.
When a character is commonly treated as a frontrunner, they start to give of a distinctly un-Terry vibe.

cashregister9

Smash Hero

People haven't shut up about Hayabusa since Age of Calamity was announced, He is not some niche but well respected character he is one of the most talked about characters right now.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
if Hayabusa gets beyond a doubt leaked by files in the game, would he be a Roy/Ryu/Hero?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom