• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnowClaws

Smash Apprentice
To be truthful, I still hoping that Cadence will be the pseudo-Zelda fighter rep for Smash.

Especially since Crypt of the NecroDancer manage to get both Miyamoto and Aonuma addicted to the game, and made a crossover happen.

Timestamp: 11:45- 11:59

If Cadence isn't your style, then how about Yves from Cadence of Hyrule,

Ryuvain

Lord of Revenge
Laharl discussion? I'd be glad if he made it. Played every Disgaea except 3. I assume Dante still has a shot as well? Seeing all the work Steve got makes me excited for potential movesets.

Dante gets his style meter and stances. Maybw his bike double saws and cowboy hat? Lol.
Laharl gets a ton of abilities like Hero and team attacks? Or they could go with overloads if they wanted a nod toward 5.

Shroob

Sup?
So, where does everyone stand on Hyabusa in regards to all the **** around him right now?

Kinda seem like a lot of people think he's happening sometime this pass, but do we have any reason to think that as anything actually solid or...? I've heard of the supposed rumors about him, but even Verg doesn't seem 'that' sure about his inclusion.

I also have to wonder if he's in, where exactly he'd drop. I don't really see him as CP9 material if CP9 will be at E3, so I guess 8 or 10-11?

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
So, where does everyone stand on Hyabusa in regards to all the **** around him right now?

Kinda seem like a lot of people think he's happening sometime this pass, but do we have any reason to think that as anything actually solid or...? I've heard of the supposed rumors about him, but even Verg doesn't seem 'that' sure about his inclusion.

I also have to wonder if he's in, where exactly he'd drop. I don't really see him as CP9 material if CP9 will be at E3, so I guess 8 or 10-11?
Well, his name came up A LOT around the same time as Steve, sometimes even with Steve. There’s also the news that discussions for Steve took several years, which is probably why we heard about him in 2018. So I’m thinking there’s fire alongside the smoke. Verg might just be trying not to get **** on again, he’s taken a lot of crap for the Minecraft stuff but now it’s real lmao

I think Hayabusa just makes a lot of sense too. Koei Tecmo is probably the biggest Japanese company without a character in Smash. They’ve been a really important company for the Switch. Hayabusa is their mascot & go-to character for crossovers, it couldn’t be anyone else besides him.

On top of that, Ninja Gaiden is a gaming classic along the lines of Mega Man & Castlevania; but it even has some ‘00s nostalgia associated to it because of the Xbox games. He’s also unique because I imagine his moveset would combine his appearances in arcade beat ‘em ups, 2D side scrollers, 3D action games & 3D fighters. I’ve also heard that Ninja Gaiden is one of Sakurai’s favorite NES games, but I need a source on that.

As for the Zelda discussion, I feel the problem the series has had so far is its rotating roster of side characters but not its main characters. Link, Zelda & Ganon always technically Rep the latest game in the series. But I think the BOTW sub-series has changed that. It’s introduced several new fan favorites who’ve now appeared in atleast 2 games; I wouldn’t be surprised if the Champions appear in BOTW2 in some form too.

Shroob

Sup?
Well, his name came up A LOT around the same time as Steve, sometimes even with Steve. There’s also the news that discussions for Steve took several years, which is probably why we heard about him in 2018. So I’m thinking there’s fire alongside the smoke. Verg might just be trying not to get **** on again, he’s taken a lot of crap for the Minecraft stuff but now it’s real lmao

I think Hayabusa just makes a lot of sense too. Koei Tecmo is probably the biggest Japanese company without a character in Smash. They’ve been a really important company for the Switch. Hayabusa is their mascot & go-to character for crossovers, it couldn’t be anyone else besides him.

On top of that, Ninja Gaiden is a gaming classic along the lines of Mega Man & Castlevania; but it even has some ‘00s nostalgia associated to it because of the Xbox games. He’s also unique because I imagine his moveset would combine his appearances in arcade beat ‘em ups, 2D side scrollers, 3D action games & 3D fighters. I’ve also heard that Ninja Gaiden is one of Sakurai’s favorite NES games, but I need a source on that.

As for the Zelda discussion, I feel the problem the series has had so far is its rotating roster of side characters but not its main characters. Link, Zelda & Ganon always technically Rep the latest game in the series. But I think the BOTW sub-series has changed that. It’s introduced several new fan favorites who’ve now appeared in atleast 2 games; I wouldn’t be surprised if the Champions appear in BOTW2 in some form too.
Question.

When does the supposed collection drop for Switch, if it exists at all? I heard there was some sort of Ninja Gaiden trilogy that got leaked by the Chinese rating boards.

XorahnGaia

Smash Journeyman
I'm kinda iffy about Hayabusa being CP8 honestly.
The fact that Nate teased him as the next character was seen as a bonus for some, but I don't think he's the kind of insider to make a hint that's so much on the nose.

In general, I still see Hayabasu as one of the most likely characters we could get, but even if this contradicts his apparent seniority in the rumor mill I now expect him towards the end of FP2.

Shroob

Sup?
I'm kinda iffy about Hayabusa being CP8 honestly.
The fact that Nate teased him as the next character was seen as a bonus for some, but I don't think he's the kind of insider to make a hint that's so much on the nose.

In general, I still see Hayabasu as one of the most likely characters we could get, but even if this contradicts his apparent seniority in the rumor mill I now expect him towards the end of FP2.
Nate teased him?

XorahnGaia

Smash Journeyman
Nate teased him?
Yup, right after Steve was announced:

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Yup:
Well, this could definitely be taken as a joke, I definitely agree.

Granted, this dude also apparently somehow knew most of Nintendo's scrapped E3 and was screaming about Mario collection for months.

I dunno, considering we probably won't see this character until sometime next year, I'm really doubtful of anyone leaking them this early, but if some more names go in on it, then it'd be hard to deny.

Granted, can't also forget that the HD Collection comes out in March apparently. If Hyabusa is in, conveniently dropping him in like Feb would be very convenient and totally coincidental.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Yup, right after Steve was announced:
****, I'd take it with open arms if true. Hopefully, he doesn't become like Hero/"Brave"/Erdrick and **** on for being talk of the town for the next three months.

"weh i dont like hayabusa he's talked about too much" well **** man i suggest you not be online 24/7

Staarih

Smash Master
I have, like, zero attachment to Ryu Hayabusa or Ninja Gaiden or overall knowledge about them, but I feel like Koei Tecmo as a developer pops up quite often (and typically around Nintendo-related stuff) and it's making me curious. The close relationship is there and it wouldn't surprise me if they got a character in Smash, they would be deserving tbh.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam

I think it's largely revisiting rumours that happened around the time of Steve. Which, to be fair, he was brought up a lot during that time. However, whether those were legit yet mistimed leaks or a people making educated guesses is yet to be seen.

Personally, I think Ryu Hayabusa just makes a lot of sense for the reasons people have already mentioned. Koei-Tecmo is one of Nintendo's closest allies at the moment and, while they do have some content in Smash, they're still missing that coveted character spot. Of Koei's lineup, Hayabusa is generally considered their most iconic character as well. Plus, he has both a classic and modern legacy that you could build off of.

I definitely think he's going to be in the latter half of the Fighter's Pass though, seeing how he's a little more on the niche side of things. I also don't see him as Fighter #11 because Nintendo's likely going to want a promotional character there again. So, I think it's Fighter #9 (Spring 2020, if we're going to continue with seasonal releases) or Fighter #10 (Summer 2020).

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I'm pretty sure this was mentioned in this thread by someone else recently, but I'd love to see spirits that represent the iconic, classic arcade-era of gaming. Not sure how possible it'd be, probably unlikely at this point, but I believe spirits for these characters are worthy of being memorialized in gaming's biggest crossover.
  • Space Invaders - One of the most iconic arcade games of all time. I believe Space Invaders is owned by the company Taito, who also owns Bubble Bobble. However, as of 2006, Taito is a subsidiary Square Enix, so a Space Invaders spirit(s) is possible.

• Q*Bert - Another classic, maybe not as well known as Space Invaders, but I'd say Q*Bert is still iconic, and recently appeared in Wreck It Ralph and Pixels which was pretty cool. The only issue here is that Q*Bert is owned by Sony nowadays, so it's doubtful that the little guy would get a spirit. I still think it'd be pretty cool.

• Frogger - Finally, I wanted to talk about Frogger. Frogger was huge back in the day, getting multiple games, even 3D platformers. Frogger still gets new games to this day. Frogger would be an awesome spirit to see join the game, maybe even including other characters from the franchise like Swampy. Konami owns Frogger, so I believe he'd be the easiest spirit to get into Smash, and it'd be really awesome to see.

Sorry- Frogger is meant to be playable.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I will say that I think people are too quick to dismiss Lloyd and a Zelda newcomer.

I'm biased towards Lloyd, but I still think he has a great shot. My gut is just telling me a Zelda newcomer.

I'd prefer it'd be Impa but I don't know if it'd be her.
idk man, I just want Yuri Lowell more

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I feel fairly confident in there not being a Bandai Namco owned character in this pass.

I just feel like that, if we were getting a Namco character, they would of held the Heihachi and Gil costumes back for it. Some people will point at Akira and Jacky coming with Terry instead of Joker, but I think that's a different case because, at the very least, the VF costumes were shown off way after Joker happened. And Joker's pack was already really busy, and with two new full costume sets, two hats, and the return of the Tails/Knuckles outfit, so it made sense to hold off on the VF stuff until Terry (the fighting game character of the pass) was released.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
*, I'd take it with open arms if true. Hopefully, he doesn't become like Hero/"Brave"/Erdrick and * on for being talk of the town for the next three months.

"weh i dont like hayabusa he's talked about too much" well **** man i suggest you not be online 24/7
I don’t think that will happen since Hayabusa isn’t “standing in anyone’s way”. Erdrick got so much crap because he was seen as competition for Geno & Sora. Same with Steve before Banjo got in; the Steve reveal would’ve been disastrous if it was before Banjo.

I feel fairly confident in there not being a Bandai Namco owned character in this pass.

I just feel like that, if we were getting a Namco character, they would of held the Heihachi and Gil costumes back for it. Some people will point at Akira and Jacky coming with Terry instead of Joker, but I think that's a different case because, at the very least, the VF costumes were shown off way after Joker happened. And Joker's pack was already really busy, and with two new full costume sets, two hats, and the return of the Tails/Knuckles outfit, so it made sense to hold off on the VF stuff until Terry (the fighting game character of the pass) was released.
Yeah I largely feel the same way. I do think there’s a chance that we get Lloyd or Yuri & they’d come with Tales themed costumes, but it’s not looking good. I definitely think it’s a case of Namco trying to be humble since they work on Smash. Which is dumb when people actively want their characters in, but whatever lol

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

New pass!

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I don’t think that will happen since Hayabusa isn’t “standing in anyone’s way”.
I would say he's in Dante's way but everyone's been in Dante's way for the literal entirety of the past year so I guess it's nothing new now.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I would say he's in Dante's way but everyone's been in Dante's way for the literal entirety of the past year so I guess it's nothing new now.
Maaaaybe he is, but I feel inner-company wars are what really get the most heated. We got 3 JRPG characters in FP1, getting 2 action characters isn’t a stretch IMO. Especially since Ryu also reps more than just action games.

D

Deleted member

Laharl would be cool, but even I'm tired of 'Anime Sword Fighters' at this point lol. They could distinguish him easy enough (they retooled every stage to account for Minecraft blocks, for pete's sake). I mean, his first special in every game is that fire fist (easy enough to make his Down Special; use it in air and he plummets down for bigger impact) and maybe just use the sword for like extra hits while punching or kicking for everything else.

I forget who said it a page ago, but they're right; Disgaea as a whole is way over the top; it wouldn't quite fit. Heck, Disgaea 6 was announced and level 9,999 is going to be your starting level. The numbers are nuts in that game. I'd be happy with a Spirit Event or trophy in a future game.

Unless they wanted to add a Prinny. A prinny is doable.

SKX31

Smash Master

Could definetely see him as a frontrunner candidate. He's got a lot going for him (akin to what made Steve rumors so prevalent) and KT's already established presence in Smash helps him further. Moveset in particular is what helps Ryu IMHO.

At the same time though, he not only has competition (with Dynasty Warriors being the primary competitors in my eyes) and his absence from base game / FP1 is a bit mysterious. We don't know exactly what held him back then (other characters being prioritized or whatever), but depending on what the reason exactly is it could have a major impact on his chances.

Still, he's got a lot going for him, and I'd place him in my "Top 20 likliest" list.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I think Terry is probably where the threshold is on how "big" a third party character has to be to be in Smash.

:ultbayonetta: and :ultbanjokazooie: are both very special specific cases and probably shouldn't be used as the point of comparison.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I think Terry is probably where the threshold is on how "big" a third party character has to be to be in Smash.
I mean I guess you have a point since he's the smallest in terms of everything, but are there numbers to that? Do we know the bare minimum? :073:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Well, that leak's dead...
Implying it wasn’t when it came out or when Steve was revealed to be FP7 cause iirc it explicitly said Ryza would be FP7

think it’s kinda like the Dante leak in base; correct info about the source game, wrong info about smash

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Really with third parties you can't really rely one one metric for them. Some of its financial opportunity from the character's popularity, others is demand by the fans, a few are just because they're unique fighters, and I'd say Terry was one where Sakurai's appreciation for SNK at large played a big factor.

Its why the farthest I'll go with certain predictions is stuff like a Capcom and Square Enix choice because all the above factors could play their own parts in determining whom gets selected from such companies.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Really with third parties you can't really rely one one metric for them. Some of its financial opportunity from the character's popularity, others is demand by the fans, a few are just because they're unique fighters, and I'd say Terry was one where Sakurai's appreciation for SNK at large played a big factor.
Which of the third parties would you describe being in "just because they're unique fighters"? It feels like everyone has a notable legacy factor behind them (besides like Bayonetta, but again, a special case), they didn't feel like they were included just because "they'd be fun".

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
I asked him a question, not telling him his taste is trash. Michael usually follows people who leaks *, so I'm assuming he did some leak *. Back off, dude.
It's an speculation video based on several rumours discussed around. I'm not a fan of Papagenos at all, but I don't see the correlation between that content and his rant about Byleth.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
It's an speculation video based on several rumours discussed around. I'm not a fan of Papagenos at all, but I don't see the correlation between that content and his rant about Byleth.
The last time I saw anyone talk about the papa was when he had that fit over Byleth. Apologies for living under a rock.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom