• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I'd like to see Sora included, but I don't think it's possible unfortunately. I've seen KH fans claim that Disney doesn't own the rights to Sora because "it's a lot more complicated; Squeenix owns the rights." Does Disney, definitively and without a shadow of a doubt, own the rights to Sora and the Kingdom Hearts IP?

I feel the fact that Sora appeared at Disney World in the past says otherwise (but what do I know, maybe Square let them do so, if Disney doesn't own Sora).

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I'd like to see Sora included, but I don't think it's possible unfortunately. I've seen KH fans claim that Disney doesn't own the rights to Sora because "it's a lot more complicated; Squeenix owns the rights." Does Disney, definitively and without a shadow of a doubt, own the rights to Sora and the Kingdom Hearts IP?

I feel the fact that Sora appeared at Disney World in the past says otherwise (but what do I know, maybe Square let them do so, if Disney doesn't own Sora).

That statue is just cursed.......

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Amiibo theory may be dead... but its spirit lives on!
Its spirit, eh?
Well, looks like we can add it up there with the rest.
1601935933100.png

Well, Sora was created by Square, and his existence was Square's idea, but he still had to be approved by Disney, so it leans towards Square being the owner, but it could still be Disney.

I can't really find any concrete info on the matter.

RGFS

Smash Journeyman

So the guy that I think is said to have connections at Disney, went into more detail of Sora not being in. That Nintendo wanted Sora in Volume 2 but Disney unsurprisingly were being ***es.
I really can't believe or even understand the "Disney is stingy with Sora" argument at all. Not only is Nintendo the truly stingy and petty one when it comes to their characters if you take a look at their handling of Wreck it Ralph, but Disney themselves have given Epic Games so many big Marvel and Star Wars crossovers in Fortnite that can now fight alongside characters from DC. The idea that Disney would really care or charge too much for a character I bet most of the suits at the top wouldn't even recognize or realize they own is laughable.

I bet even mentioning Mickey Mouse in Brawl's Chronicle would've cost them money if that were the case. The chronicle itself isn't completely accurate and differs in all regions so that's a another detail to mention.

Either Nintendo chose Sora and he's in, or they never wanted Sora to begin with. The plot would thicken for Geno fans there.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Well, Sora was created by Square, and his existence was Square's idea, but he still had to be approved by Disney, so it leans towards Square being the owner, but it could still be Disney.

I can't really find any concrete info on the matter.
Regardless, if Nintendo approached Square for Sora, would Disney not want to be involved themselves? Especially when Kingdom Hearts heavily, heavily focuses on Disney properties (including characters and worlds)? I'm not asking you specifically that question, but I feel that no matter who owns Kingdom Hearts, Disney would involve themselves.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Just give it a few more years before Disney finds a way to buy Nintendo. That'll solve the problem!

What? Have you guys SEEN Disney's legal team? Those guys have gotten laws MADE, y'know...
Japan would never allow this to happen. Disney maybe big but an entire government is on whole other level.

Now Comcast buying Disney on the other hand...:evil:

For the first time in their lives, Disney would finally be shaking for once. :grrr: Not so tough now are you Disney? Ha!

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
So I'm on Gamefaqs, and there is a topic talking about Sora

According to the topic, apparently Disney wanted Mickey when Nintendo approached about Sora. Disney considered a "Compromise" with Sora and Mickey with Bunch of stages and music and stuff, for like 2/3 of the Fighter Pass (Price of Pack). Nintendo didn't want that

According to the guy, the source saying this is the same one that leaked Disney having a massive layoff

This sounds like a load of bunk. Why would Disney insist that Nintendo have Mickey as a fighter? When you're that protective of your IP, you protect it, you don't force other people to use it. Especially over Kingdom Hearts, a franchise that Disney has been historically hands-off with and that they don't have a ton of interest in outside of the games (no theme park rides, no movies, no Disney+ show). Plus Smash is a videogame crossover, everyone knows that, and Disney does too. What next, are we gonna hear about how they tried to shove Mickey into Marvel vs. Capcom and Jedi: Fallen Order?

YeppersPeppers

Smash Journeyman
So I'm on Gamefaqs, and there is a topic talking about Sora

According to the topic, apparently Disney wanted Mickey when Nintendo approached about Sora. Disney considered a "Compromise" with Sora and Mickey with Bunch of stages and music and stuff, for like 2/3 of the Fighter Pass (Price of Pack). Nintendo didn't want that

According to the guy, the source saying this is the same one that leaked Disney having a massive layoff

lol BresOswald is a troll who constantly posts fake leaks about Mickey being in Smash.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Isn't there a law in Japan that literally makes it illegal for non Japanese Companies to own Japanese companies?
No, there isn’t a law about that but it’s not common.

Probably the best example is the Line Corporation

It has significant use in Japan but it’s owned by a South Korean company. It started after the 2011 Tohoku Earthquake but was expanded and purchased by a South Korean technology and communications company. However, it’s managed by a Japanese company which exists as a “branch“ of the South Korean company. That’s the only one I can think off the top of my head.

I could be wrong about that though. I haven’t researched enough into it and that’s just off from the top of my head. I didn’t even have enough time to read through the whole discussion lol. I’m getting ready for work.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
For the love of God, Disney, without a shadow of a doubt, owns Sora and the Kingdom Hearts IP/copyright. Not an overseer, not partially, not half-and-half, full ownership. They may consult with Squeenix if they ever do anything with that IP, but make no mistake they are the sole owner, including Sora and all the other Kingdom Hearts original characters.

I could go on the Kingdom Hearts website right now and see very clearly who owns what.
In fact, I did:
1601937491306.png

This quote has existed for literal years.
1601937831877.png

So please.
Please.
Stop this line of thought. I'm actually sick of it.

Last edited:

XorahnGaia

Smash Journeyman
I used to lurk around the Era Smash thread, and from I gather MondoMega isn't really an insider with a track record or something, it just one of the most active users there. Then again, regular users getting insider info isn't that unusual, so maybe there's some truth to what he's saying.

Regardless, I don't think this changes Sora's situation that much, and by that, I mean his chances were already very low based on what Imran said months ago.
This new info about Nintendo trying to get for Volume 2 IS interesting though if true. I always got the feeling that the negotiations with Disney happened way earlier (admittedly because rumors about Nintendo trying to get Sora in Smash and failing to do so have been around since late 2018), so I wonder if this isn't their first attempt... I mean, Steve showed us that this kind of negotiation can take up to 3-5 years so I wouldn't be surprised if the old rumors, Imran and MondoMega are referring to the same attempt... eh, I'm probably overthinking this.

SKX31

Smash Master
This sounds like a load of bunk. Why would Disney insist that Nintendo have Mickey as a fighter? When you're that protective of your IP, you protect it, you don't force other people to use it. Especially over Kingdom Hearts, a franchise that Disney has been historically hands-off with and that they don't have a ton of interest in outside of the games (no theme park rides, no movies, no Disney+ show). Plus Smash is a videogame crossover, everyone knows that, and Disney does too. What next, are we gonna hear about how they tried to shove Mickey into Marvel vs. Capcom and Jedi: Fallen Order?
"Listen here, you little rascal! You'll put me into Smash, or you'll face the consequnces! Now gimme my $1 Billion check!

Ho-ho!"

The consequences in question:

44c.jpg

No, there isn’t a law about that but it’s not common.

Probably the best example is the Line Corporation

It has significant use in Japan but it’s owned by a South Korean company
If I may ask then: how - if at all - would the Line Corp be affected by the new regulations (last page)? Are they under the exemption and thusly not affected by them at all (as I'd presume)?

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
TheBeastHimself TheBeastHimself Disney owns the Kingdom Hearts IP and all the characters, settings, music, etc. from it. The games themselves (as in, the software) could be co-owned by Square Enix, so that they always have to be involved and Disney can't re-release them without SE's participation, but you can check copyright notices for merch and the like, it's only Disney. Disney execs have also been on the record about this.

Edit: check out Idon Idon 's post, it looks like Square Enix doesn't even co-own the games, so the fact that they're still the sole developers for the series implies a high respect for them as the creators of the IP, and also that Disney probably doesn't care about it and what it's used for if SE signs off on it.
I really can't believe or even understand the "Disney is stingy with Sora" argument at all. Not only is Nintendo the truly stingy and petty one when it comes to their characters if you take a look at their handling of Wreck it Ralph, but Disney themselves have given Epic Games so many big Marvel and Star Wars crossovers in Fortnite that can now fight alongside characters from DC. The idea that Disney would really care or charge too much for a character I bet most of the suits at the top wouldn't even recognize or realize they own is laughable.

I bet even mentioning Mickey Mouse in Brawl's Chronicle would've cost them money if that were the case. The chronicle itself isn't completely accurate and differs in all regions so that's a another detail to mention.

Either Nintendo chose Sora and he's in, or they never wanted Sora to begin with. The plot would thicken for Geno fans there.
I don't know what you're talking about with Wreck-It Ralph. Nintendo licensed Bowser to Disney, that was even a major part of advertising. The only reason Mario wasn't in the movie is because Disney felt that just being a cameo would do him a disservice and couldn't find anywhere to put him otherwise. Nintendo was otherwise willing to lend him, as far as we know. That's not stinginess, if anything that shows mutual respect between the corporations.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
TheBeastHimself TheBeastHimself Disney owns the Kingdom Hearts IP and all the characters, settings, music, etc. from it. The games themselves (as in, the software) could be co-owned by Square Enix, so that they always have to be involved and Disney can't re-release them without SE's participation, but you can check copyright notices for merch and the like, it's only Disney. Disney execs have also been on the record about this.

I don't know what you're talking about with Wreck-It Ralph. Nintendo licensed Bowser to Disney, that was even a major part of advertising. The only reason Mario wasn't in the movie is because Disney felt that just being a cameo would do him a disservice and couldn't find anywhere to put him otherwise. Nintendo was otherwise willing to lend him, as far as we know. That's not stinginess, if anything that shows mutual respect between the corporations.
like Idon Idon said, it's more that Square Enix develops the games, like how Capcom developed the famous DuckTales game. DuckTales is still a Disney IP.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

I think I have heard some experts say Sora is definitely owned by Disney. But they go to Square out of respect while regarding anything Kingdom Hearts related. I think any Sora or Kingdom Hearts merchandise only has Disney on the copyright of the product.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
Well nevermind then, looks like Sora's chances were shot down a while ago.
"Listen here, you little rascal! You'll put me into Smash, or you'll face the consequnces! Now gimme my $1 Billion check!

Ho-ho!"

View attachment 288518

If I may ask then: how - if at all - would the Line Corp be affected by the new regulations (last page)? Are they under the exemption and thusly not affected by them at all (as I'd presume)?
*Filthy Acts at a Reasonable Price.

Wait, hang on, does Disney own Spongebob? Since when was that a thing?

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547

Ho-ho!"

View attachment 288518

That’s not really my area of knowledge but I can dig into it later. The companies that were mentioned are like...huge companies. The owner of SoftBank is the richest man in Japan currently. So it would make sense for them to fall under this ruling but Nintendo is the currwntly the richest company in Japan. Line Corp, while big, I don’t think falls into these regulations despite technically being owned by a foreign company yet being based in Japan. I highly doubt this new ruling (news to me actually) is linked but I’ve noticed a huge down tick of public and professional opinion concerning foreign involvement in Japanese companies - especially after the entire Carlos Ghosn scandal. That’s still causing problems here.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master

Nope, Spongebob's under his creator's (Hillenburg) until he died, Nickolodeon produces the cartoon and Viacom distributes. (IIRC.) The joke's that Mickey's using Deadpool and Fett to eliminate the competition.

That’s not really my area of knowledge but I can dig into it later. The companies that were mentioned are like...huge companies. The owner of SoftBank is the richest man in Japan currently. So it would make sense for them to fall under this ruling but Nintendo is the currwntly the richest company in Japan. Line Corp, while big, I don’t think falls into these regulations despite technically being owned by a foreign company yet being based in Japan.
Would make sense, since SNK themselves are not the richest (The founder's 81,5 % share was valued at $63.5 million when SNK was bought out in 2015). The Japan Times article does list Nintendo as "non-core" unlike the likes of SoftBank, Toyota and Sony which are under the strictest category.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806

They don't. The image just appears to be now Disney owned characters killing off the competition (but it appears to have been made pre-Fox buyout).

SKX31

Smash Master
Papagenos, you really gott a tone down your thumbnails lol.
Watch Geno get in as his own character alongside the Smash 4 Mii Costume.

People would create Geno Sans and go online just to mess with others endlessly.

They don't. The image just appears to be now Disney owned characters killing off the competition (but it appears to have been made pre-Fox buyout).
Forgot entirely that Disney bought out Fox. That feels like a lifetime ago now.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Watch Geno get in as his own character alongside the Smash 4 Mii Costume.

People would create Geno Sans and go online just to mess with people endlessly.

Forgot entirely that Disney bought out Fox. That feels like a lifetime ago now.
If the Geno costume came back, and you made a Sans Geno hybrid

Would it be

Smash Ultimate, Sans Geno

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Alright, mind if I ask why is that ResetERA guy entertained so badly now? I thought we've gotten into a consensus where he really never leaked anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom