• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Also something I Realized

Considering how Sophisticated Nintendo reveals the Characters, If we don't get a reveal at the Game Awards, I'd be more wary of a character like Dante or Monster Hunter

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
  • Contra's last game sold pretty poorly, and they don't seem like frontrunners for a NES-era character (that would be Hayabusa).
(Should I bring up Tencent's Contra game again... nah, whoops. ****. That's already caused too many eye-rolls already.)

I wonder if the remake will be Sinnoh or Let's Go Johto.
Hoping Sinnoh, since I'm really curious as to what they would change. Especially with the transition between DS and Switch being quite a major one (bigger than a transition between GBC and GBA for the Gen 1 remakes for instance).

Let's Go Johto makes a lot of sense by itself, although I'm not entirely sure they want to focus on that (right now at least). While it might be less of a hassle than the Sinnoh games, there's no way of knowing how TPC / GF think of the choice between the two. If Sinnoh remakes seem more appealing to them, Lets Go Johto might be shuffled to the backburner. And vice versa if Johto is chosen, TBF.

It's really difficult to call at the moment IMO.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
A Gen 8 Rep feels like one of those possibilities so hard to predict that, regardless of what happens, you'll see fairly valid reasoning afterwards as to how it made complete sense for why they did (or didn't) end up with a DLC fighter.
In the end, baboom wins either way.

D

Deleted member

Just a quick thought.

Steve was intended to be the only character revealed for E3 while Min Min was planned to release either before June or very early into the month, but COVID ****ed up those plans so deadlines ended up being pushed back to later dates. CP8 would've been revealed in Fall during the September Direct, and while I wouldn't say CP8 could be a lesser known/less speculated character, I wouldn't expect it to be a huge name for E3. We still have til December 2021 to learn what the rest of Vol 2 contains, so I expect the plan for reveals was, and still is, that every Challenger Pack gets revealed 1 by 1 and no double reveals.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Just a quick thought.

Steve was intended to be the only character revealed for E3 while Min Min was planned to release either before June or very early into the month, but COVID ****ed up those plans so deadlines ended up being pushed back to later dates. CP8 would've been revealed in Fall during the September Direct, and while I wouldn't say CP8 could be a lesser known/less speculated character, I wouldn't expect it to be a huge name for E3. We still have til December 2021 to learn what the rest of Vol 2 contains, so I expect the plan for reveals was, and still is, that every Challenger Pack gets revealed 1 by 1 and no double reveals.
Yeah idk about that. Since Brawl, E3 has seen MULTIPLE smash reveals. 3+ in the brawl days, 2 from 4 onward (with a third behind closed doors for 2013 and 2014; WFT and PAC MAN respectively). Idk why they’d change that up now

first Ult E3 presentation had Daisy and Ridley along with EVERYONE IS HERE, so that still counts

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
I think we were supposed to get CP7 and CP8 announced at E3, but I also think Covid screwed up Nintendos ability to produce. They are not really a very forward thinking company and I am certain they were not prepared for a stay-at-home workforce. This stalled all their plans for 2020 and they decided to stretch out everything they already had to fill in the disparity.

CP8 is going to be the same as Steve. Probably announced as the big holiday character in December or January.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I still think that, given Min Min launched with an ARMS tourney, revealing Steve alongside her would have been counterproductive to pushing ARMS again.

Plus, that would have suggested Steve was in presentable condition around June, and I’m not entirely sure I believe that.

cj.

Smash Journeyman
Also I just realized, Can Konami be considered Soft Deconfirmed for FP2?

They got another Completely New costume in the form of Bomberman (and Sakurai paid extra attention to him). I don't think if there was Konami Character, they would make and reveal the Bomberman Costume right now (I gave them a pass on Goemon, but this is the straw)
Frogger
Parodius
TwinBee
Silent Hill
Contra
Bonk
Adventure Island

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Yeah idk about that. Since Brawl, E3 has seen MULTIPLE smash reveals. 3+ in the brawl days, 2 from 4 onward (with a third behind closed doors for 2013 and 2014; WFT and PAC MAN respectively). Idk why they’d change that up now

first Ult E3 presentation had Daisy and Ridley along with EVERYONE IS HERE, so that still counts
This.

Im pretty sure that either:
A: Min Min, Steve and even FP8 WERE ALL supposed to be E3 reveals, with the Arms announcement as a teaser.
B: Same as above, but not FP8.
C:Min Min was supposed to be revealed earlier while Steve and FP8 were supposed to be E3 material.

Seeing how last year's DLC went. We had Joker showcased on April (TGA was just a teaser) and released that same month, then in E3 we got Hero and Banjo, plus Terry in September. I honestly see the possibility that we were supposed to have 3 DLC characters this year while the other 3 for the next year, had not Covid ruined fun.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think we were supposed to get CP7 and CP8 announced at E3, but I also think Covid screwed up Nintendos ability to produce. They are not really a very forward thinking company and I am certain they were not prepared for a stay-at-home workforce. This stalled all their plans for 2020 and they decided to stretch out everything they already had to fill in the disparity.

CP8 is going to be the same as Steve. Probably announced as the big holiday character in December or January.
According to Sakurai they only just got private servers for Steve testing. I wouldn't be surprised if the company mandated that all employee communication had to be done through the Nintendo Switch phone app.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
I still think that, given Min Min launched with an ARMS tourney, revealing Steve alongside her would have been counterproductive to pushing ARMS again.

Plus, that would have suggested Steve was in presentable condition around June, and I’m not entirely sure I believe that.
I personally dont think Minmin was supposed to be E3. I think she was before E3. Everyone saw Covid coming. And it hit in Feburary. Nintendo can make business decisions in a week. The mini itself could of had Min Min being added or we would of had her by end of april. The entire Year of Mario has been delayed by 6 months or so. I think from that, everything has been pushed back and the E3 presentation was divided to fill in gaps.

7NATOR

Smash Master

Honestly, Pushing ARMs was when they did the ARMS Character reveal back in the Mini Direct. Steve would not have affected that

and Personally, I honestly think that even without Covid, that Guessing game still would have happened. The Mini Direct was recorded and everything, so it was probably in production (plus the contents) before Covid really messed everything up.

I don't think CP8 Was supposed to Show up at E3 at all. Even if you want to argue that covid Delayed the characters, I find it a little hard if we even would have gotten gameplay of Steve, no Less gameplay of CP8

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Considering how much work has been put into both Min Min and Steve as well as the Steve presentation happening right before Minecraft Live I highly doubt the pandemic has had any significant impact on their reveal dates.
I disagree with this one. I "think" That MinMin would have been announced in the Mini. She would have Dropped around E3. Steve and CP8 would have been at E3 and Steve would have dropped the day of MC Live instead of 10 days later. CP8 would have been released Middle of November/December.

But that is hypothetical. We know that Covid hit Nintendo hard. Like Said.

According to Sakurai they only just got private servers for Steve testing. I wouldn't be surprised if the company mandated that all employee communication had to be done through the Nintendo Switch phone app.
Nintendo was not prepared.

D

Deleted member

Well given how long Vol 2 is expected to be in development for, I'm pretty much of the belief there was going to be only 1 reveal at this year's E3, and even if there was going to be multiple reveals at E3, I doubt CP8 was going to be revealed there, so your best bet was going to be Min Min x Steve anyways. If CP8 was going to be revealed at E3 like some people think, CP9 probably would've been revealed at the Fall Direct with us going into 2021 with 2 characters yet to be revealed. If that were the case, the completion date of Vol 2 would've been a lot sooner than December 2021.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Back in June: "E3 probably would've been Min Min and CP7"

Now: "E3 probably would've been Steve and CP8"

Really pushing the goalpost aren't we?
I dont think so. Covid has muddied up everything. The entire "Fighter will be from Arms" thing was the only time they ever did that and it made absolutely no sense. It felt like a stop gap. And lets be honest. Steve would have crushed Min Min.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

All 6 FP2 characters would've been revealed at E3. Trust me, I am Uncle Nintendo himself.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
All 6 FP2 characters would've been revealed at E3. Trust me, I am Uncle Nintendo himself.
Now that I dont beleive. I think Min Min would have been anounced in the Mini. Released around E3. CP7 and CP8 would have been announced at E3. Steve would have dropped at MC Live. and CP8 would have been later in the year. I mean, we waited a long time for Banjo after his announcement Trailer.

Saying Glitch Theory is "Spotty" is beyond generous when it seemingly doesn't even exist in the first place.
Glitch Theory? The only theory that was ever real was the Box. ALL HAIL THE BOX!

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I hope the Ryu Hayabusa rumors turn out to be true. I’d love to see his moveset since he could potentially rep 3 different genres in it. He could represent side scrollers from his NES days, action games from his Xbox days & 3D Fighters with his Dead or Alive appearances. There’d be a ton of fun references in his moveset I bet.

SharkLord

Smash Hero

I don't think it was necessarily COVID, though it probably added to the issue. They explicitly stated that the development time for the ARMS rep, who would later turn out to be Min Min, had to be extended so they could figure out how they worked. The idea would've been to squeeze in a quick burst of ARMS hype before going all-out at E3. Then Min Min got pushed back, necessitating everyone else to be pushed back, and then COVID kicked in and cancelled E3 entirely.
I think it would've been Min Min revealed and released in Spring (heh), followed by Steve and CP8 revealed at E3. Steve would release a little later, followed by CP8 in Fall. Min Min got pushed back to Steve's timeframe, Steve to CP8's, etc., and their announcements were shoved back much closer to their release dates.

Actually, my goalposts were there already.

I think.

I dunno, quarantine has killed my ability to keep track of time. Maybe I did move the goalposts a little later than I thought, who knows.

CureParfait

Smash Ace
What are everyone's thoughts about a Mario DLC newcomer?

I'm still considering it as time running out, myself. Nintendo obviously planned the 35th anniversary event, and was aware of the tournament coming up. Said tournament is all about, "Everything Mario in Smash!", meaning stage, music and characters...everything that comes in a challenger pack.

My point is, wouldn't you want to reveal a Mario character and include them in a really cool promo event that literally focuses on everything Mario? Having a tourney that is "Everything Mario!", only for it not ACTUALLY be, "Everything Mario!" seems strange. Yes, I realize the anniversary runs until March, but that's still after the tournament.

What do you think?
I don't think time is running out for Mario reps at all. Since Mario looks like a type of series Nintendo would add whenever they want to in Smash.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
I don't think it was necessarily COVID, though it probably added to the issue. They explicitly stated that the development time for the ARMS rep, who would later turn out to be Min Min, had to be extended so they could figure out how they worked. The idea would've been to squeeze in a quick burst of ARMS hype before going all-out at E3. Then Min Min got pushed back, necessitating everyone else to be pushed back, and then COVID kicked in and cancelled E3 entirely.
I think it would've been Min Min revealed and released in Spring (heh), followed by Steve and CP8 revealed at E3. Steve would release a little later, followed by CP8 in Fall. Min Min got pushed back to Steve's timeframe, Steve to CP8's, etc., and their announcements were shoved back much closer to their release dates.

Actually, my goalposts were there already.

I think.

I dunno, quarantine has killed my ability to keep track of time. Maybe I did move the goalposts a little later than I thought, who knows.
I can agree with this. Min Min might have needed a delay and Covid helpped cover for it. I do think we will have CP8 announced this year. We are in October and Not having someone for December seems off. Yes I know we did not get one last christmas, but Terry dropped in November, And like it or not, November is part of the Holiday season. October is its own thing. So I can see aleast 1 more announcement this year. now release. That I am not so certain about.

I don't think time is running out for Mario reps at all. Since Mario looks like a type of series Nintendo would add whenever they want to in Smash.
Maybe.... We have Year of Mario. I think CP7 being Steve and CP8 Being a LARGE Mario character would have killed E3 and fit in perfectly with plans. Just has that vib to it. If CP8 is not a mario character, then I agree. No more mario characters

Last edited:
I do think there's a possibility fighter 8 could be a Mario character if development was really delayed a lot. Presumably we could have gotten fighter 8 before the end of the year if not for development struggles, and if we did it wouldn't be unreasonable that the las one for the year would be that Mario character and they would have been able to take part in the tournament. This would mean that they cared more about having the tournament this year than having every Mario character able to take part, though.

I'm somewhat suspecting further delays on things based on what Sakurai's said in columns. He's had multiple times where he's said that meetings were postponed indefinitely. I assume this would push something back a while. I don't know that it would mean a delay of everything, since there's the possibility the team would temporarily move to working on other stuff while they wait. We could see some long waits and then fairly rapid releases at some point next year.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Given leaks and everything, who are the current suspected front runners? I know Steve must have upended what most assumed. So I am curious. I have thoughts and predictions on the last 4, but I also live in a bubble. So I need to see what the general consensus is first.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
One question for data-miners, do the fighters have some kind of internal serial number? Maybe when Steve drops that can be used to see if his reveal was shuffled around compared to the others in the pass.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Steve isn't big enough to be the E3 reveal, we need a real top contender to help offset this indie nobody. :yeahboi:
I think it is not about how Big Steve is and more how we always assume 2 are coming at e3. and given the world at the time, It is just really hard to assume we are almost half way through FP2 and we only know 2 characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom