• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackghost

Smash Champion
Eh, Sony is effectively a western company at this point. The main SIE branch is in California and Japan Studios isn't really considered a pillar for them in the way Naughty Dog and Santa Monica are. They're even using Vtubers and other influencers in Japan to advertise the PS5 to try and get back the domestic market, even though they're still showing off the same games that are still "west first".

Sure, the Japanese 3rd parties that want to work with modern hardware will go to PS5 for the Series X, but just like in past generations, it'll take like 3-4 years before that becomes the norm for anyone that isn't Capcom and Square Enix. It's very clear what region their focus is in, so calling Nintendo a direct rival to them over Japanese mindshare seems weird.
Sony still has presence in japan tho. microsoft has virtually none. even if both are appealing to western markets first sony still has software that has appeal first and foremost in japan.

Last edited:

KillerCage

Smash Master
I think we will get two more first party characters and two third party characters.
As to who those will be, Ryu Hayabusa and Rex are safe bets.
What's also a safe bet is that we won't get a Gen 8 Pokemon character.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I do wonder though, if there even is a new Pokemon, will there be a Gen 8 Pokemon or will Game Freak push for a Gen 9 Pokemon in the game?

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Personal bias speaking but Bandai Namco still not having another rep after working on 2 Smash games now is very strange and I feel like with the reveal of the Heihachi and Gil costumes back in the game and possibly Lloyd returning as a costume I'm honestly betting on Siegfried/Nightmare being the unexpected pick for this pass. He already has more going for him just on the basis of Soul Calibur and Nintendo collaborating before way back when Soul Calibur II on the Gamecube came out and Link was an exclusive character on that version. It'd be neat to have Siegfried and Link fight again! (Well, that and there was an odd Wii exclusive spin-off of the series.) There'd probably be a lot of flack on the basis of Soul Calibur being a niche series and not many people knowing who he is (plus the sword character argument LOL) but honestly there hasn't been a true greatsword rep in Smash yet and Sieg feels like a choice that'd fit in well and could have a lot of potential and help Soul Calibur blow up which I'd love to see since it's such an underrated and unique fighter. I don't see Siegfried/Nightmare mentioned a lot in speculation so I wonder what other people think about this? :o
Is Soul Calibur considered niche? I was honestly shocked by how many people didn’t know Terry, so I guess I don’t have a pulse on which fighting games are known by Normies & which aren’t lmao

I do wonder though, if there even is a new Pokemon, will there be a Gen 8 Pokemon or will Game Freak push for a Gen 9 Pokemon in the game?
Maybe it could be a Gen 4 Pokemon for the probable remakes? I feel that would go over a lot better too since there’s a nostalgia factor going on there too.

I definitely think time is running out for a Sw/Sh Pokemon. Byleth was released about 6 months after Three House’s release & right before the final DLC. It’s almost been a year since Sw/Sh’s release & the final DLC is out at the end of this month. If they really wanted to promote that game through Smash you think they would’ve done it by now. But who knows, it’s Pokemon so they could do it whenever.

Last edited:

toonito

Smash Ace
I think if a pokemon gets in FP2 then it'll most likely be Gen 8

if not and FP2 is the last DLC added to Ultimate most likely Gen 9 pokemon will get in the next Smash game

TraaP

Smash Cadet
78. Lloyd Irrving
79. Rex & Pyra
80. Ryu Hayabusa
81. Sora

Indubitably will be wrong as I feel like we won’t receive 3 big “expensive” characters in this pass & 2 will be the max “Steve & Sora” in this case. Honestly, I think it will be either Ryu Hayabusa or Rayman, so they are interchangeable & the other will be a mii costume. Really doubt we’ll receive 3 JRPG characters but I can dream.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Alright, so tagging SKX31 SKX31 and Rie Sonomura Rie Sonomura for the source I mentioned before:

Based on the Riot API, it was possible to determine the percentage of players corresponding to each server. Japan's percentage, as of 2017, was 0.71% of the total playerbase. I tried to find more recent data, but couldn't.

According to this data from 2017, League had a total of over 100 million players (by 2019, that number had increased to 115 million). Keep in mind this is only an estimation, but to my knowledge it's the best we have.

So by doing some math, this means that in 2017 the League playerbase in Japan was roughly 710K strong.

According to this site (take it with a grain of salt, as they don't name all their sources for these numbers), that would be more than the japanese sales of the original Banjo-Kazooie, the first Crash Bandicoot and even GTA III.

So basically, even if Japan is the third smallest LoL server (if we go by ranked population), these numbers are still decently strong. It's not like Japan hates League - it's just that PC gaming culture isn't as strong there, hence why I'm expecting a rise in the playerbase with Wild Rift coming to mobile and eventually to consoles - like the Switch.

Last edited:

KillerCage

Smash Master
NO WAY THAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN!
Sakurai has a history of NOT picking characters whose games have not come off yet.
The only exception was Roy and that was because his game (FE6) got delayed.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I honestly can't even begin to predict who else could be in the pass. Not only have the characters we've gotten been all over the place, but the only real constant is them bringing something new to the table. We can't just look at longtime fan requests or crazy gaming icons, we have to consider playstyles and whatnot. If anything, that makes me assume a lot of characters that WON'T make it in regardless of how popular they are.

The only character that I'm sort of confident in is Dante. The circumstantial evidence we have, moveset potential, and my own personal bias tells me he's among the more likely characters, and I STILL have trouble going higher than 50% with him.
I'm in a similar position to yours, I think characters like Dante have a decent shot but I wouldn't bet money on them. The one I was confident about was Crash, but he wasn't FP7 which was the spot I thought they would give him if he was in the Pass.

The thing is, I don't know how we could expect characters like Dante or any other popular or big 3rd party in this Pass. My logic says FP9/FP10, which will be around E3 2021. My logic is also based on what we saw in the first Pass and the order of the characters, but at the same time that criteria could easily proven wrong because: 1. They could have chosen the Pass 2 picks with a different mindset and 2. Pass 2 has 1 more fighter, which changes some things.

For all what we know they could decide to end the Pass with names such as Crash or Geno, instead of going with a divisive first party character, for example. Or keep the momentum of Steve and choosing another really popular character for FP8, like Crash, Monster Hunter, Dante, Geno, 2B, and company.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
With League of Legends I think my doubts lie in that it feels like the contemporary context works against it. Riot Games' not had the much of a relationship with Nintendo. while it has a fanbase in Japan there's several other prominent characters (from even other Western companies) that have more, and it doesn't feel like either Sakurai or that many Smash fans have expressed that much of desire for a fighter from it.

I'm not ruling it out entirely but it feels like a lot of things need to come into place for an LoL character to get in.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Gen 9? Even if Game Freak hasn't learned their lesson about rushing games, it still wouldn't be ready for the end of the pass.

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I don't see why people think a Sword and Shield Pokemon getting in would be too late - Incineroar had a shelf-life of four months before Sword and Shield were announced. Within months of Smash being out people knew we'd have new Pokemon and ergo new starters.

SKX31

Smash Master
Alright, so tagging SKX31 SKX31 and Rie Sonomura Rie Sonomura for the source I mentioned before:

Based on the Riot API, it was possible to determine the percentage of players corresponding to each server. Japan's percentage, as of 2017, was 0.71% of the total playerbase. I tried to find more recent data, but couldn't.

According to this data from 2017, League had a total of over 100 million players (by 2019, that number had increased to 115 million). Keep in mind this is only an estimation, but to my knowledge it's the best we have.

So by doing some math, this means that in 2017 the League playerbase in Japan was roughly 710K strong.

According to this site (take it with a grain of salt, as they don't name all their sources for these numbers), that would be more than the japanese sales of the original Banjo-Kazooie, the first Crash Bandicoot and even GTA III.

So basically, even if Japan is the third smallest LoL server (if we go by ranked population), these numbers are still decently strong. It's not like Japan hates League - it's just that PC gaming culture isn't as strong there, hence why I'm expecting a rise in the playerbase with Wild Rift coming to mobile and eventually to consoles - like the Switch.
Hmm, now that's really interesting regardless. 0,71 % is a realistic estimate given that the ca. 710K total playerbase (5-50K interested in competitive) would be roughly in line with the numbers of total players / competitive spectators elsewhere. Going by that estimate EU West seemingly would have roughly 20 million (give or take) LoL players total and 50-100K competitive spectators just to give a very rough estimate from Twitch stats.

There's a lot of uncertainty in these guesses of course, since, as you well know, Riot's never been as open about the player base's size as say Valve. Nor has Nintendo ever been open about that for that matter.

And that estimation does not include China either (Tencent runs their own LoL servers, and the Chinese LoL league is likewise Tencent-run).

With League of Legends I think my doubts lie in that it feels like the contemporary context works against it. Riot Games' not had the much of a relationship with Nintendo. while it has a fanbase in Japan there's several other prominent characters (from even other Western companies) that have more, and it doesn't feel like either Sakurai or that many Smash fans have expressed that much of desire for a fighter from it.

I'm not ruling it out entirely but it feels like a lot of things need to come into place for an LoL character to get in.
That is a legitimate issue - sure, Riot's created a Smash mod in the past themselves, but neither Riot nor Tencent were historically interested in the console side of things to begin with. There was a rumor that Arena of Valor / Honor of Kings (Tencent's mobile LoL) was created because Tencent asked Riot about a mobile LoL back in 2015, but Riot didn't want to do so. That did probably strain the relationship between the two. Understandably so from Riot's PoV: especially when Tencent is notorious within China for copying anything and everything under the sun as I've talked about in the past. The Chinese hardcore was not kind to Pokemon Unite because of the notoriety.

(As a complete aside, Honor of Kings is massive in China and SouthEast Asia, partly due to the fact that whether it's a clone or not, the idea of "popular genre now on mobile" is a very attractive prospect especially for people who aren't as invested in video games / don't have constant access to computers. PUBG Mobile is huge for similar reasons.)

Now Riot themselves have changed their minds on the mobile / console thing, what with Wild Rift and other LoL-related projects, and Tencent have been bearhugging Nintendo since 2018... that doesn't guarantee Smash inclusion though, just as Minecraft's presence on Nintendo consoles didn't guarantee Smash inclusion for quite a while.

It's for that reason I've personally never been fully confident with calling LoL a frontrunner. As you pointed out, it's not exactly something that Sakurai has written about (unlike Minecraft or Half-Life 2) nor is there that much overlap between the Smash and LoL fanbases (both games have a segments that focus solely on the game of choice). Wouldn't be surprised if that inclusion happens, but not 100 % counting on it myself.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
What are everyone's thoughts about a Mario DLC newcomer?

I'm still considering it as time running out, myself. Nintendo obviously planned the 35th anniversary event, and was aware of the tournament coming up. Said tournament is all about, "Everything Mario in Smash!", meaning stage, music and characters...everything that comes in a challenger pack.

My point is, wouldn't you want to reveal a Mario character and include them in a really cool promo event that literally focuses on everything Mario? Having a tourney that is "Everything Mario!", only for it not ACTUALLY be, "Everything Mario!" seems strange. Yes, I realize the anniversary runs until March, but that's still after the tournament.

What do you think?

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master

I'm still considering it as time running out, myself. Nintendo obviously planned the 35th anniversary event, and was aware of the tournament coming up. Said tournament is all about, "Everything Mario in Smash!", meaning stage, music and characters...everything that comes in a challenger pack.

My point is, wouldn't you want to reveal a Mario character and include them in a really cool promo event that literally focuses on everything Mario? Having a tourney that is "Everything Mario!", only for it not ACTUALLY be, "Everything Mario!" seems strange. Yes, I realize the anniversary runs until March, but that's still after the tournament.

What do you think?
Realistically I think if its most of the typical speculated characters (Waluigi, Toad, Paper Mario, Kamek, etc) then it does feel less likely the further away we get from the initial anniversary announcement.

Someone like Geno though is an odd case given his origins, and if he does happen (which is hardly a given), he would be the one Mario adjacent fighter that would make sense as an exception to that especially given the negotiations/development with Square Enix that would be involved with him.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
And that estimation does not include China either (Tencent runs their own LoL servers, and the Chinese LoL league is likewise Tencent-run).
If I'm not mistaken, they even have a special server in China just for the top players - likewise something that only happened because of Tencent running the servers, I think.

It's for that reason I've personally never been fully confident with calling LoL a frontrunner. As you pointed out, it's not exactly something that Sakurai has written about (unlike Minecraft or Half-Life 2) nor is there that much overlap between Smash and LoL. Wouldn't be surprised if that inclusion happens, but not 100 % counting on it myself.
To play devil's advocate for a second: while I wouldn't call League a frontrunner, I also think people really underestimate its chances and how much interest both companies could have in working with each other, especially with Tencent's Nintendo dealings.

But I do agree - that doesn't mean it WILL result in a Smash inclusion, because not everything is related to Smash. For all we know, it could only mean the spinoffs are all coming to the Switch or something.

Last edited:

PLANTMAN

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
3314-3608-8898

What do you think?
i feel like that’s Somthing someone from the geno thread would say

but coming from me idk

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
3BitSaurus 3BitSaurus SKX31 SKX31 while were on the LoL train. I know again, Glitch Theory is spotty but check this out:
There was a problem fetching the tweet
There was a problem fetching the tweet
The Challenger Ahri skin seems pretty CERO safe too

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there

What do you think?
It's an incredibly big red flag for me personally. While a character doesn't have to be chosen solely for promotional reasons, there is something to be said about how both Min Min and Steve were specifically revealed around promotional materials for their games. Like, we have pretty good amount of evidence that Steve was ready to be revealed way back in the beginning of September, but they specifically skipped over his blog posts and waited so it'd be closer to Minecraft Live.

A Mario rep could still come after all this Mario 35th stuff, as nothing is fully set in stone until we get a firm yes or no to a character. However, in my personal opinion, it would be very strange to spend so much time and energy into doing a whole host of Mario events that draw attention to his legacy and importance to gaming, have a huge Smash event celebrating every last ounce of Mario content in Smash, but then add another character later that couldn't take part in all of that.

The fact a Mario rep would skip this tournament is already making the idea of one super sketchy to me, but if we get to CP8 in January or February and it's still not a Mario character? To each their own, of course, but I personally won't be expecting a Mario character at all past CP8. IMHO, CP8's reveal timeframe and who it is is a Mario rep's make or break moment.

7NATOR

Smash Master

What do you think?
I do think it's weird, but Honestly, even then I wouldn't exactly count it out. Nintendo not only has a hand in picking the fighters, but also probably picks the order in which they release (and which ones get released first).

This 2nd Fighter Pass is gonna go past March, so by the time it finishes, The Anniversary celebration would be over

Geno and/or Waluigi are cool, but there's a likely chance they could be among the last characters. They might want to get out New Franchises out first before going into already represented Franchises, Especially if one of those New Franchises is Minecraft. It also doesn't help that Mario has already got a bunch of new Content, including new characters, so even among Represented Franchises they might want to go for ones that didn't get as much first before going back to Mario

At the least, I don't expect Geno or Waluigi (if they are Playable) until AT Least after March.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

What do you think?
I don't believe there is any time limit for a Mario character and if one was planned to be in the pass, I don't think they would have taken the 35th anniversary into consideration. Adding a character other than Mario in context with his anniversary just wouldn't make sense as that would shine importance to them instead of Mario as silly as that reasoning sounds.

The only thing I can see calling to another Mario character would be if Fighter 11 had any other significance than showing that there are 6 fighters instead of 5. If there is more to Fighter 11 then there is a chance that maybe either Geno or Waluigi could take that spot.

I don't know but that's just my take.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

What do you think?
I don't think there's too much co-ordination between character reveals and anniversaries.

We already got Piranha Plant as a DLC so another Mario DLC would have to bring in something significant.

After the Paper Mario spirit event I'm not sure on him and of the remaining ones, I'm not sure what stages would got with them

Captain Toad: Bell Hill or Ruins
Waluigi: Waluigi Pinball or Marina stadium from Tennis Aces
Geno: Exor on Bowser's Castle or Forrest Maze
Pauline: Already has both of her iconic locations in game. 25M stage maybe...?

7NATOR

Smash Master
Also I just realized, Can Konami be considered Soft Deconfirmed for FP2?

They got another Completely New costume in the form of Bomberman (and Sakurai paid extra attention to him). I don't think if there was Konami Character, they would make and reveal the Bomberman Costume right now (I gave them a pass on Goemon, but this is the straw)

Last edited:

dezeray112

Smash Hero
I was honestly shocked by how many people didn’t know Terry, so I guess I don’t have a pulse on which fighting games are known by Normies & which aren’t lmao
From someone who has been playing a range of fighting games for many years, I knew Terry Bogard ever since playing the likes of Capcom Vs SNK 2: Match of the Millenium and the King of Fighters: Maximum Impact back in the PS2 days.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

They got another Completely New costume in the form of Bomberman (and Sakurai paid extra attention to him). I don't think if there was Konami Character, they would make and reveal the Bomberman Costume right now (I gave them a pass on Goemon, but this is the straw)
I don’t see any more Konami reps for the remainder of DLC. the only exception could be Raiden from Metal Gear Rising but I’m not holding my breath

SharkLord

Smash Hero

What do you think?
I think their likelihood took a heavy hit with the anniversary thing, but it'll slowly begin to rise as we move away from the celebration. The reason could be that they just released too late. Still, I'm not expecting then until the last two Challenger's Packs, and even then I'm pretty iffy on their chances.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master

There's certainly options from Konami but given that three of the best known franchises are already in in some form (Castlevania, Metal Gear, & Bomberman) , and the other is a little tricky to incorporate given its content (Silent Hill) its either double/triple dipping for more or going with the more niche IP's. I'd love to have a Sparkster, or Contra character (and plenty wouldn't mind someone from Suikoden‎), but a lot of what's left does feel like Mii Costume territory.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
It's an incredibly big red flag for me personally. While a character doesn't have to be chosen solely for promotional reasons, there is something to be said about how both Min Min and Steve were specifically revealed around promotional materials for their games. Like, we have pretty good amount of evidence that Steve was ready to be revealed way back in the beginning of September, but they specifically skipped over his blog posts and waited so it'd be closer to Minecraft Live.
That's still very interesting since if Steve was ready by early September, then FP8's at the very least decently far into development. I won't say with any confidence how far, but they've been apparently focusing on FP8 for about a month, maybe a bit more.

That does raise the possibility of FP8 being revealed before the New Year, although there's a lot of uncertainty here.

3BitSaurus 3BitSaurus SKX31 SKX31 while were on the LoL train. I know again, Glitch Theory is spotty but check this out:
I'm gonna stay cautious on this - while I could see the resemblance, I'm not going to say that that's indicative of much. Not just because the Theory itself is spotty, but also since there's a small but noticeable difference between Daisy's and Ahri's models. (Also, doesn't 2B have a similar length with her skirt? Etc.)

TBF the twitter user did say that (s)he was reaching with the second tweet, and (s)he knows that (s)he could be off there.

Also:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

Huh. Glitch theory is bogus imo, but I didn't know there was actually an "Ahri 4 Smash" twitter account. Neato.

Yeah, with Bomberman as both an Assist and DLC costume, as well as Goemon being a costume, I don't see a Konami rep happening.
  • Contra's last game sold pretty poorly, and they don't seem like frontrunners for a NES-era character (that would be Hayabusa).
  • I don't see Silent Hill happening, especially if Resident Evil, a best-selling, more action-oriented horror series couldn't.
  • Frogger... would make me kinda happy, tbh, but I have to admit that he doesn't seem like DLC material.
Anyone else seems way too niche in my eyes. Maybe I'm forgetting someone, but I think this is it for Konami.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
That's still very interesting since if Steve was ready by early September, then FP8's at the very least decently far into development. I won't say with any confidence how far, but they've been apparently focusing on FP8 for about a month, maybe a bit more.

That does raise the possibility of FP8 being revealed before the New Year, although there's a lot of uncertainty here.

I'm gonna stay cautious on this - while I could see the resemblance, I'm not going to say that that's indicative of much. Not just because the Theory itself is spotty, but also since there's a small but noticeable difference between Daisy's and Ahri's models. (Also, doesn't 2B have a similar length with her skirt? Etc.)

TBF the twitter user did say that (s)he was reaching with the second tweet, and (s)he knows that (s)he could be off there.

Also:

2B doesn’t have a crown, though... I guess we’ll see nevertheless

and I guess I could understand why Ness’s eyes disappeared if his glitch was indeed connected to Steve - Steve has different shaped eyes

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Gen 9 is still a good 2 years away if we are looking at past trends the trend usually is
-New Gen game
-New Gen Game Sequel/DLC
-Old Game Remake
-Repeat
Crown tundra hasn't even come out yet I don't think Gen 9 has a chance because much like Xenoblade 3 Game Development takes time.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Gen 9 is still a good 2 years away if we are looking at past trends the trend usually is
-New Gen game
-New Gen Game Sequel/DLC
-Old Game Remake
-Repeat
Crown tundra hasn't even come out yet I don't think Gen 9 has a chance because much like Xenoblade 3 Game Development takes time.
I wonder if the remake will be Sinnoh or Let's Go Johto.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom