• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I generally am fine reading subtitles--- but it's a lot more difficult when there is Smash gameplay. Seriously, they edit the entire video, which takes more work than hiring someone to read a script for 45 minutes. I honestly think the lack of translation buffers the sales. It certainly makes it harder for me to watch, and by a significant margin no less.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I don’t think Lloyd may necessarily be in the next wave. I think they just chose Gil cause his source material of fighting monsters and getting treasure is at its core similar to Minecraft

and also maybe we will still see Lloyd return with a different Namco character but yeah I’m not banking on another Namco character OR Capcom character at this rate. Square could still double dip while bringing back the Geno and Chocobo costumes with that character

I must ask tho. Did any Capcom Mii costumes appear in 4 BEFORE Ryu’s reveal?

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Updated the poll. I apologize again for my bad puns.

Couldn't think of a mining joke, but that's probably for the best.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
F7B9FE86-FF7C-4486-8B3C-C3547263E6B4.gif

Mfw Master Chief didn’t get Mii Costumed. My condolences to Travis Bros though, he would’ve been sick.

Steve looks like a fantastic character. There’s so much love & attention put into him. I’m glad this presentation showed that Sakurai loves Minecraft, that’ll shut up the haters who said Sakurai looked “miserable”. He had a lot of fun playing with the sword/pickaxe toy lmao

Steve’s music selection is reeeeally disappointing though. There’s tons of fan remixes on YT of the OG music being fitting for Smash. Hell, they made “Beneath the Mask” A Smash song.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I don’t think Lloyd may necessarily be in the next wave. I think they just chose Gil cause his source material of fighting monsters and getting treasure is at its core similar to Minecraft

and also maybe we will still see Lloyd return with a different Namco character but yeah I’m not banking on another Namco character OR Capcom character at this rate. Square could still double dip while bringing back the Geno and Chocobo costumes with that character

I must ask tho. Did any Capcom Mii costumes appear in 4 BEFORE Ryu’s reveal?
To answer the question: we got two Mega Man costumes when Mewtwo released in 4.

7NATOR

Smash Master
I wouldn't be surprised if licensing was an issue, Notch apparantly has the music license, meaning 1: More royalties and 2: Acknowledging Notch, neither would be very desireable and we avoidable
Actually I'm confused, why is Notch not very Desirable? the only thing I know about the guy is that he Created Minecraft and then sold it to Microsoft

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
To answer the question: we got two Mega Man costumes when Mewtwo released in 4.
So I guess then we COULD still get a Namco rep even if the Lloyd costume returns before then. Same with Capcom but I’m personally doubting that one

Square with Square tho. Maybe they could bring back Geno and Chocobo’s costumes in the wave after the second Square one’s, but NOT before

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
third parties are only getting in with massive game history or impact if Square is getting someone else 1.lara 2. 2b 3. brave default 4. sephiroth i dont think there is anyone esle left to consider for square.
I'd argue Chrono Trigger, and more Final Fantasy games than just Final Fantasy VII have had that kind of gaming impact/history.

Staarih

Smash Master
Honestly, I'm not sure if this is a hot take or something but I think the discussion around the returning mii costumes is a little boring.

I know that isn't the discussion going on rn I just wanted to know if anyone else feels the same way.
Yeah, kinda. Mii costume discussion doesn't really do much for me, since it's pretty clear by now that all of the missing ones will return.
...yes, even Geno, Lloyd etc. even if they become playable imo. The costumes are ready, there's a buck to be made, we have existing fighters with Mii costumes and there's always the off-chance of someone not buying DLC, but buys a Mii costume. In the mean time though, sure, speculation around what the missing costumes means for certain characters will ensue.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I'd argue Chrono Trigger, and more Final Fantasy games than just Final Fantasy VII have had that kind of gaming impact/history.
Yeah, given FF's legacy I find it hard to believe they'd go back to VII again, especially when there's newer games (like 10 and 12) and older ones (like 4 & 6) that various parties would be interested in getting fighters from.

Last edited:

toonito

Smash Ace
presentation thoughts and crackpot theories:

steve looks cool...we have yet to see if he'll be OP or overhyped competitively like Hero and Min Min were

5 Mii Costumes left...if a Mii costume continues to return with each pack then one of those costumes may not return

RIP Travis

i'm happy Kirby turned into a block

if using Amiibo theory as a guide for character releases then Steve may be our last character for 2020 since the remaining FP1 amiibo all come out next year

Min Min's presentation was recorded in May for a June release. Steve's presentation was recorded in August for an October release. If someone can help remember when past characters presentations were recorded compared to their release then we may be able to theorize when the FPs will be released.

May ( :ultminmin ) -> August (Steve) -> FP8 may be recorded next month for a December (based on Min Min) or January (based on Steve) release

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Well, I can honestly say Steve looks kinda borked. Either stupid good or stupid terrible.

That said, Lloyd is alive! Hallelujah! Here's hoping it means good things. Geno and Monster Hunter are also still alive, so I feel any one of those could make it in easily.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I feel like Amiibo theory has a window of error now as Steve was revealed I think two weeks after Joker and Hero came out

7/11 Theory is 100% solid though, the character MUST be revealed before the takedown date and it hasn’t failed thus far

SKX31

Smash Master
After "Environmental Noises", there's little excuse.
11 / 10 best song ever should've won a Grammy.

:4pacman:

Probably because they had to make a choice about what tracks to remix due to limited time and resources, unlike Animal Crossing, which is a first party series.

That's what I imagine happened, at least. Since most tracks had to be remixed, they probably used a more self-contained approach.
I was wondering how Sakurai would pronounce "Halland / Dalarna" since those are two (separate) Swedish counties / provinces (with English pronounciation for the latter being "Dalecarlia" or "the Dales"). It kinda looks funky seeing them mashed together since Halland is in the southwest and was historically (talking 1500s / 1600s here) Danish territory (Sweden and Denmark fought each other as often as England and France did during that period), while Dalarna is near the geographical centre and historically the northern boundary of the country.

Him not pronouncing it was understandable, but I was kinda looking forward to the mangling of words.

Not the Mario RPG rep we expected, but the one we deserve.
As someone who's not played the game Shroob comes from I'd be interested in seeing how he / it would play. Sci fi guns are cool too, especially since that's unexplored territory.

Faso115

Smash Lord
are banjo, byleth and terry going to come together? I expect that at least whatever character is next will reveal a release date for at least one of the three.

Which i guess suggest the character will come out next year

Shroob

Sup?
I feel like Amiibo theory has a window of error now as Steve was revealed I think two weeks after Joker and Hero came out

7/11 Theory is 100% solid though, the character MUST be revealed before the takedown date and it hasn’t failed thus far
I dunno about that one,

Amiibo theory already has a margin of error accounted for for 2~ weeks

1601744739845.png

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Yeah, given FF's legacy I find it hard to believe they'd go back to VII again, especially when there's newer games (like 10 and 12) and older ones (like 4 & 6) that various parties would be interested in getting fighters from.
You know what would be the weirdest? If they added Tidus or something, and his series was categorized as Final Fantasy X/X-2 and not...you know, Final Fantasy. There would be no reason to not just fix Cloud's series classification instead of separating two characters from the same series.

That's insane! I'm calling it now, every Steve main when they fight...
Let's just say that you should be glad that they didn't add Minecraft Dungeons stuff to the moveset.
1601744777633.png

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I generally am fine reading subtitles--- but it's a lot more difficult when there is Smash gameplay. Seriously, they edit the entire video, which takes more work than hiring someone to read a script for 45 minutes. I honestly think the lack of translation buffers the sales. It certainly makes it harder for me to watch, and by a significant margin no less.
Real weebs learn how to read subtitles even when there's 20 things happening on screen at once.

blackghost

Smash Champion
chrono trigger vs ff is close. but FF 7 truly is that big a deal that getting a second character is warranted. imo. but you are right i should have listed chrono trigger.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Oh wait wasn’t there a Sakurai column like yesterday too? Has it been translated yet?

7NATOR

Smash Master
Anyone else love the References in the Mii showcase?

I Missed it on first Viewing, But Travis Kicking the Door is a nice touch to him usually doing that (NMH1 first level, NMH3 e3 Trailer as Examples)

EDIT: also The Clash Mechanic with Travis and Cloud

and also of Course Creeper Suiciding

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I don't think anything in particular makes a big change to any particular characters chances.

The biggest takeaways today, at least in terms of future speculation, relates to the Mii costumes. Travis Touchdown, underdog pick, is out. Folks were correct in being suspicious of Suda's comment. This may be something to keep in mind in the future if a developer happens to say anything. We also got a major bombshell (heh) is Bomberman.

It appears to be that Assist Trophy appearance repurposed into a costume. Like others, I would love to see this happen with a Shovel Knight Swordfighter. After looking back at what Sakurai said about Bomberman, it was specific to Bomberman and not necessarily a holistic view of Assist Trophies. We can't know that without more information.

So, do I think we're getting Assist Trophy upgrades? I haven't really ever thought they would happen, but this is the first Assist Trophy upgrade we've seen...to a Mii costume. I'm not all that convinced that Waluigi would be turned into one, Isaac already is one, as is Rex.

What I find interesting is that we now have Lloyd Irving not showing up with fellow Namco character Gil, and still no Geno or Monster Hunter. I believe Monster Hunter will either be a playable fighter or return with a Capcom fighter, but I'm not sure what to think with Geno or Lloyd. We've been here before with, "Heihachi playable???", and he was swiftly taken to the chopping block.

That said, some costumes have been revealed thematically. Min Min had a few fighting game character costumes revealed, so could we get a JRPG character that isn't Lloyd and get the Lloyd costume? Tales of is one of the last JRPG series remaining, and Lloyd has been a relatively well known Smash pick for awhile now. Not to say I think he's in or something, but worth taking note of in the way that any other Mii Costume has been.

It doesn't mean any of them are in, though it suggests we're in for another big disconfirmation/confirmation within the next few reveals.

In terms of when we get the next fighter, look out for amiibo release dates, and for 7/11 banner dates. Both have been the best indicators of roughly when a reveal will happen.

I'm still not quite convinced of the "M" rated theory. Yes, the ESRB has limited the appearance of M rated titles...in one region. Everywhere else it's completely fine and has no change. So, do I think Nintendo would look at Dante and say, "Welp, can't add Dante because of the ESRB!"? No, I don't. It may affect additional content, but as far as the character themselves I don't think so. I would change my tune if further information came out suggesting it would but that would be another bombshell bit of information.

EDIT: Credit to @UserGoozer , the Squid Sisters were the first AT to Mii costume upgrade. I don't think anybody expected them to be playable, but this could be worth keeping in mind. Thank you!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom