• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
>B-BUT TRAVIS HAS A NEW GAME COMING OUT SOON! HE'S SUPER RELEVANT! AND SUDA 51 REFUSED TO COMMENT ABOUT TRAVIS IN SMASH! HE DEFINITELY GOING TO BE A FIGHTER!
Let this be a lesson to all of you who think that relevancy and having a new game coming out decides who's getting in.
Imagine being this much of a petty asshole.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
People on Geno thread are claiming right now that since Steve was in development talks for 5 years that prooves that they can still be "saving" Cacomallow for later.
After the **** Mike pulled I don't wanna hear anything about what Geno thread says, clearly they can't keep it to themselves without acting like a clown. :mybodyisreggie:

Ho-lee-****, I can't BELIEVE how overcomplicated that is.

I am NEVER playing this character.
Steve has too many tools, I wouldn't be able to keep track of anything lol but I'm gonna try

Shroob

Sup?
Other than Chocobo, who would probably come in tandem with Geno, we just received the last old costume from a character who wasn't thought to be a real contender.

Next one is a big deconfirmation.
I dunno when the next character will even come out, maybe January 2021, but if they're shown off at TGAs(Doubtful), maybe 2B?

Or maybe that's where a potential Capcom drop occurs.

Phoenixio

Smash Apprentice
I thought he said in the video that certain materials were more likely on certain types of ground, but that you end up getting everything anyways, just the frequency that changes? I highly doubt they'd go for a design that would mean certain stages only yield specific limited materials...

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
RIP Travis. I'm bummed that he got Mii Costume'd, but I figured that would be a very real possibility. It's cool that he's in at all, and I'm definitely going to get his costume, but dang. At least Lloyd survived CP7.

As for Steve's playstyle, I like how faithfully they were able to translate Minecraft's mechanics over to Smash, although the resource management stuff isn't for me. I'll stick with my spinny robot boy and weapon swapping teacher. I also like how goofy he looks next to all these nice-looking models, and the stage looks really fun.

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
We've gotten a Bamco costume come back individually in an unrelated character presentation twice in a row now.
I think that any Bamco character at this point probably isn't going to happen on the sole idea that a lot of the Bamco Mii costumes are being slowly used up. There's the obvious question of "Why not just dump them with the Bamco character?" that arises from it. Plus, a part of me just really doesn't think that Nintendo would even really want to jump at any of the characters in Bamco's lineup, but that's just personal speculation.

KOS-MOS' franchise is dead, only exists via cameos in other games, and failed a marketing survey from Namco. She's a zombie

Fair point on Haruka but she's still worlds more well-known than KOS-MOS is, and her franchise is far bigger and still ongoing.

Every Katamari game as been fully localized and a guarentee you Katamari is WAY more well-known than Xenosaga. Katamari is a much more iconic and ongoing franchise.
I don't think Haruka should ever be considered a genuine contender for Smash Bros. and I'm saying this as a huge iM@S fan. Although, I am glad to see her mentioned. She's one of my most wanteds from a "holy **** that'd be awesome but it'd never ever happen in a million years" perspective.

If you don't mind me geeking out for a second, iM@S is absolutely massive (it's actually Bamco's 3rd top grossing video game franchise of all time, only behind Pac-Man and Digimon despite being much younger) but any sort of attempt at bringing the series outside of Japan and other Asian regions has always been met with mistranslations and poor sales. I genuinely believe that Haruka would be a serious contender for a character if it weren't for the series' inability to expand west, but that's something I can't reasonably expect to happen anytime soon due to the nature of the franchise.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Fan of a character acts inappropriately and then the whole fanbase is generalized.

And so the cycle continues...
Just say Geno. The way this thread treats his fanbase and chances is garbage. Straight garbage. Especially when we've gotten Ridley, K Rool, and Banjo all in one game span.

The fact he's still treaten as a joke IS the joke.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
People on Geno thread are claiming right now that since Steve was in development talks for 5 years that prooves that they can still be "saving" Cacomallow for later.
A business deal taking 5 years to go through and be actualized =/= development for 5 years or even 3 years like Imran implied about Minecraft in Smash as a long-term deal. I can't believe it's a been a ****ing year and we've introduced a thousand pieces of reasonable doubt, but people are still talking about an obviously fake leak.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
You know, considering how the Bomberman costume looks like they just took his Assist Trophy and made it into a Mii costume, I wonder if they could do that with some of the other Assist Trophy characters, like Shovel Knight.
For characters were that dimension fits its certainly viable.

So prepare to get beaten by Mii Dr Wright in the next wave.

Phoenixio

Smash Apprentice
Not saying anything about the rest of the post, but if Roy of all characters can be revealed at E3, I don't think Geno reveal at E3 would be unrealistic.
Oh for sure, but it's a different game as well. They've been revealing massively more popular characters for Ultimate than for Smash 4, which people tend to forget happened on the WiiU, their worst selling console ever. Roy was more fitting there than the most popular version of Smash ever on their second best selling console ever (for now).

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Do keep in mind that he isn't the entire Geno thread.
To me, he poisons the waterhole. :nifty: That is reason enough for me to avoid their words. Outside the fact that, no offense, they haven't had a right leak that I know of.

Real talk.

I realize some users in this thread don't exactly have the highest opinion of Banjo Kazooie.

But you have to admit.
View attachment 288132
Their amiibo looks incredible.
The Jiggy honestly looks like cheese.

xleft

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-0885-3621-8019
>B-BUT TRAVIS HAS A NEW GAME COMING OUT SOON! HE'S SUPER RELEVANT! AND SUDA 51 REFUSED TO COMMENT ABOUT TRAVIS IN SMASH! HE DEFINITELY GOING TO BE A FIGHTER!
Let this be a lesson to all of you who think that relevancy and having a new game coming out decides who's getting in.
I really wonder what your problem is.
Aren't Geno fans the ones who usually grasp at straws? We've seen what you all did with the 7/7 theory or the Mario tournament one but we don't just go around and act like *****. The hypocrisy jumped out.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Do keep in mind that he isn't the entire Geno thread.
That's true. It's not like the whole Geno thread stormed in here to gloat. Not that they'd really have anything to gloat about...

But people who still believe Cacomallow, as he does, are the last people to be throwing stones and saying "let this be a lesson to you".

Last edited:

Eldrake

Smash Lord
December 2020

The Game Awards are about to air

People are speculating if FP8 could be shown off and debating if it even will due to last year's "What, no Dash?" as to why it's not happening.

There will still be people who are saying Cacomallow is real

View attachment 288130
December 2050

During the Intergalactic Game Awards, Cyborg Sakurai happily announces Super Smash Bros Cataclysm, a brand new entry into the galaxy-famous hit video game series Super Smash Bros.

The newcomer reveal of fan demanded characters from the hit 40s indie video game, Descending Dudes, gets massive buzz across the galactonet.

Meanwhile, the Cacomallow Cult will proclaim this as the fabled title where Cacomallow will finally be confirmed real.

SKX31

Smash Master
Steve's going to be incredibly wonky in competitive play. Even disregarding the potentially polarizing mechanics, Steve will only be able to access certain materials on certain stages:
  • Battlefield and Final Destination will be his standard stages since he gets everything there assuming they work the same as the Battlefield and Omega forms. Even if they don't, they'll likely be allowed to use those forms since they're the same stage.
  • Smashville and Town and City will only yield wood, which means that they'll probably be his worst stages.
  • Kalos Pokémon League and Lylat Cruise will probably only yield iron, which probably means that they'll be his best stages.
  • I have no idea what Pokémon Stadium 2 and Yoshi's Story will yield.
PS2 might yield iron / wood? Dunno what exactly, but PS2's edges are probably going to give iron. That's another stage where he might be extra dangerous since he's going to get decent+ materials at certain spots.

Yoshi's Story feels like another wood stage, although stone is fully possible there. Although given the slants a Steve player will want to edgeguard using other means (TNT, normals, especially d tilt since it travels downwards like PK Fire).

Counter Picking is really gonna matter for Steve
Like it's more than just blastzones and platforms.
Pretty much. KPL and Lylat are likely insta-bans vs Steve, which will limit him quite a bit already. Yoshi's Story might be a ban at the 2nd / 3rd game since Steve can gain more mileage out of the slants than most characters can.

Competitive Steve is going to be a total mess and I can't wait to see it.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Apples and oranges, you can’t compare a full character with a special complex mechanic that would require that long to get right, to a heckin COSTUME
Yeah, some people tried arguing that in the thread as well.

Pro-cacomallow people just say it makes perfect sense to compare them, and that since there are still Mii Costumes from Smash 4 that haven't been brought back that proves they can save Mii Costumes for later.

I'm, uh, done with this.

Last edited:

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Fan of a character acts inappropriately and then the whole fanbase is generalized.

And so the cycle continues...
That really annoys me, this whole thing just fractures the Newcomer speculation discussion thread and the Geno thread community further and further, which isn't okay. Why can't we just be friends and not resort to hate or generalizing an entire fandom?

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
That Travis Touchdown Mii Costume, though???

I am gutted, he was the only character I was hoping for that I thought really had a fighting chance. At this point the only potential fighter I have a mild interest in is the funny puppet man, but seeing the Gil costume come back feels like a nail in the coffin.

Steve looks freaking hilarious, btw. I was the only kid in middle school that didn't play Minecraft when it first hit it's stride, so I really have no attachment, but seeing this pile of rectangles strut around the stage, completely at odds with every other character in the game, is something I adore.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I thought he said in the video that certain materials were more likely on certain types of ground, but that you end up getting everything anyways, just the frequency that changes? I highly doubt they'd go for a design that would mean certain stages only yield specific limited materials...
It appears he does get iron, gold, diamond, and redstone from all surfaces. Iron seems to only yield these materials though, so iron stages'll likely still be his best stages.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
PS2 might yield iron / wood? Dunno what exactly, but PS2's edges are probably going to give iron. That's another stage where he might be extra dangerous since he's going to get decent+ materials at certain spots.

Yoshi's Story feels like another wood stage, although stone is fully possible there. Although given the slants a Steve player will want to edgeguard using other means (TNT, normals, especially d tilt since it travels downwards like PK Fire).

Pretty much. KPL and Lylat are likely insta-bans vs Steve, which will limit him quite a bit already. Yoshi's Story might be a ban at the 2nd / 3rd game since Steve can gain more mileage out of the slants than most characters can.

Competitive Steve is going to be a total mess and I can't wait to see it.
Ngl my somewhat sleep deprived brain thought PS2 meant PlayStation 2 and I was confused for a hot minute

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Counter Picking is really gonna matter for Steve
Like it's more than just blastzones and platforms.
Go to PS2, the whole stage is composed of grass, so therefore it's all dirt blocks. :nifty:

I.D.

Smash Lord
Some positive stuff: no delays announced, development still seems to be going smoothly despite working from home.

The presentation was recorded in August. Min Min's was recorded in early May. Seems like they give themselves almost 2 months of testing and getting everything ready for a new character. They still seem to be developing characters in groups of 3 (otherwise there's no way Steve would be done in just 3 months). Seeing the massive gap between end of FP1 and Min Min, the wait between her and Steve, and that the next character is presumably releasing in 2021, it might just be that every character in this pass is complex as hell, or at least the first half.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom