• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Friendly reminder that this is the Steve we could've gotten in Smash if Minecraft's original artist didn't leave during the early development stages:

Heck, this removed model is actually the origin of modern Steve's nickname.
Huh…I didn’t know that. That’s neat.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I was pretty against Steve. Then Banjo got in. So it was lesser so. Then I saw how goofy and unique he looked so now he’s really grown on me. He looks like he took the ender portal and just ended up in the wrong game and I just think that’s ****ing hilarious.

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
I was pretty against Steve. Then Banjo got in. So it was lesser so. Then I saw how goofy and unique he looked so now he’s really grown on me. He looks like he took the ender portal and just ended up in the wrong game and I just think that’s ****ing hilarious.
I think it helps how much they leaned into it; as soon as he was revealed, even Mario was just looking at him like some freak of nature. In a way it's more charming that they called attention to how out of place he is rather than try and make him fit in.

Last edited:

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Friendly reminder that this is the Steve we could've gotten in Smash if Minecraft's original artist didn't leave during the early development stages:

Heck, this removed model is actually the origin of modern Steve's nickname.
I like this much better, tbh. Though I prefer the more subdued color scheme of current Steve's clothes

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I'm not trying to pick a fight. I even said I don't care if you don't like him, I don't care at all. I'm just tired of people treating Steve like he isn't a character when he clearly is even if he's not as well-defined like some others. You don't have to be well-defined to be a character, otherwise Red isn't a character either (outside of Generations) nor the other Pokémon trainers and Villager definitely isn't since he has less than Steve (Steve gets facial expressions in the 1.16 trailer so about on par there).
I disagree with Pokemon comparison, since those are RPGs. And even if you don't talk there is an actual story the character takes part in.

The Villager comparison is spot on though, and no, I don't consider him a real character either.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
The fact that we got such a huge character is awesome. Like, we got such a big name that there's very little that can top him, so it makes the next few nicer since it leaves room for smaller characters.

Hungrybox has one of my favorite reactions because as soon as he saw Steve's silhouette he just screamed "OH MY GOD" at the top of his lungs. This was hilarious. He looks like he just showed up in the wrong game. The way he just left Mario to die and eats Steak and has weird chaotic energy is so funny.

All I ask for in each pass is a character that makes me happy somehow. By giving us a legit surprise, a massive hall of fame franchise to add, and a ridiculous moveset I'm stoked to dive into, I got all of that. Very satisfied.

Now I can hope for my most-wanted, Travis Touchdown, provided he isn't deconfirmed on Saturday. We know we are getting third parties for sure, we know they're going for interesting names, and there's nowhere to go but down when it comes to the "size" of the names and that's a-okay with me.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I disagree with Pokemon comparison, since those are RPGs. And even if you don't talk there is an actual story the character takes part in.

The Villager comparison is spot on though, and no, I don't consider him a real character either.
Yeah but the player characters themselves don‘t have much about them if anything ingame, you name them and (in newer games) get some customizing options and that’s it save for some facial expressions in Gen 8, yet GF and TPC still use them as characters and such kinda like Mojang does Steve and Alex, which is why I thought it worked. At least Minecraft Dungeons has a story, and you can choose Steve or Alex in that game, but idk...

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
So this 5 Year thing with Steve

Could this imply that Sakurai/Nintendo wanted the First Microsoft Character to be Steve, Rather than Banjo? Perhaps because Banjo is much Simpler to make in terms of moveset compared to Steve, along with the fact that he was pretty much one of the most requested characters, is why he got in first over Steve

I don't know what Implication this has if true.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
It's actually kinda funny that, despite how Steve looks, the trailer honestly made it feel like he had a decent amount of personality, despite his face pretty much being static.

Him showing actual fear of the creeper, and eating the steak during his FS almost like he's rubbing salt in the wound is actually kinda adorable.
Reminds me of the ax crazy villager memes right after he was revealed at E3 2013. Sometimes a little imagination can go a long way.

JCKirbs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SuperMushroomU
I remember when my "least wanted" character was Steve.

Not even because I disliked him, but because I had absolutely zero attachment to Minecraft as a whole (and I honestly still do today).
So, over time I either ignored that idea of him being a potential fighter or simply thought that "he could be cool" because of what he could bring to the table.

Today, I expected someone like Geno to join the battle (and I'm not even remotely a Geno fan) so it definitely came as a surprise when Steve broke into that cave...

I was staring at him, he was staring at me, and then he proceeded to take me on a wild journey full of magic and potential with his friends, enemies, and a really darn good piano player.

It was at that point I finally knew that (on top of being the star of the best-selling video game in the world) Steve was an excellent choice for Smash, breaking the mold on the sheer amount of gameplay possibilities and fighting strategies for years to come.

D

Deleted member

I am going to post a take that may be hot.

I see a lot of people bashing Steve because he doesn't "clash" well with the Smash style.

However, they were very faithful to Minecraft, and the design just looks very faithful itself.

You can tell the movements Steve makes is identical to his movements Minecraft. And honestly, I think it just looks so much better that Steve is different compared to the others. He pops out a lot more compared to the roster.

I am really happy with Steve in Smash. The execution was brilliant.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
At the very least, Villager has one thing going for them which I feel Steve lacks. Villager can demonstrate a wide arrange of emotions, and Animal Crossing is all about interacting with your villagers and creatively designing your character. You don't change Villager's identity, mind you, you simply customize their appearance. And, Villager was at least the mayor in one game which gave them even more of an affect on the game's "story."

Steve is more akin to a blank piece of paper. You can keep the paper blank, or you can change it into literally anything you want. Wish Mojang would do something more with this guy, but who knows if they will.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
If someone has a time machine, then I want someone to post this image a week ago and say that Steve is in because of this image.

Honestly, how many people would believe you if you did this?
Somewhat like cashregister9 cashregister9 said, I’d accuse them of photoshopping pictures onto a generic Minecraft map.

TheBeastHimself

If I put my feelings aside for Minecraft, I'm just excited for a character with a unique moveset and a cool stage. Not everyone will be satisfied with the DLC, but there are positives in every situation if you look for them. At the very least, millions of people are happy, and that's saying something. Steve could end up being the most sold DLC character.

YeppersPeppers

Smash Journeyman
I 100% understand those who dislike the art style of Minecraft and how it doesn't meld with the rest of Smash like other universes. I used to feel the same way about Smash in terms of aesthetic: characters and worlds being designed to feel more unified as opposed to just slapping a bunch of varying art styles into one game and calling it a day. However, nowadays I personally view and enjoy Smash as the big toybox of nonsense that it is, and Steve being so jarringly different from everyone else is no different to me than having some G.I. Joe action figures storm a big Lego playset. It's funny to me, and at the end of the day some good times is all I honestly really care about from Smash.

Last edited:

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
Don't pay too much attention to that "Minecraft talks started 5 years ago", it can simple a situation like for example, Reggie meets Minecraft devs at E3 2015 and while discussing about Minecraft's future WiiU version, he throws something like "Hey, wouldn't be cool to have Steve as a fighter for our Smash Bros game" and Minecraft answer "Yeah sure, it would be cool", Reggie replies "we first have to ask to Nintendo Japan people, give me your number and we will discuss it later on", Minecraft developer replies "yeah sure, here it is". That's all. Afterwards, nothing concreates but they have the contact so one day, negotiations can be fulfilled more easily.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
If I put my feelings aside for Minecraft, I'm just excited for a character with a unique moveset and a cool stage. Not everyone will be satisfied with the DLC, but there are positives in every situation if you look for them. At the very least, millions of people are happy, and that's saying something. Steve could end up being the most sold DLC character.
”Could” is a pretty big understatement. I’m almost positive he’ll sell at least a million downloads come launch.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
I think the very reason I'm having trouble getting enthused for Steve is because he does look so jarring - all the other Smash DLC characters have such nice models, and he's just... looking like he was photoshopped in by a fan.

But hey, I'm not gonna gripe too much because this pick is obviously a big crowd pleaser. I've seen a lot of people saying online about how their younger sibling or cousins/nieces/nephews etc were so excited and happy, and that makes me smile. I'm excited to see the Mii Costumes and hopefully some buffs for Byleth in the next update.

Last edited:

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Honestly, I am so happy right now.

We are actually talking about and appreciating Steve now.

I thought this would never happen. Best reveal yet for this DLC so far.
You said it. I was indifferent to the idea of Steve before today, but now that I've seen him in action, I honest to God think that he's probably the single most unique fighter in the entire franchise, from his art style to his moveset. There's just no way you can replicate that sort of stuff with any other character.

TheBeastHimself

I 100% understand those who dislike the art style of Minecraft and how it doesn't meld with the rest of Smash like other universes. I used to feel the same way about Smash in terms of aesthetic: characters and worlds being designed to feel more unified as opposed to just slapping a bunch of varying art styles into one game and calling it a day. However, nowadays I personally view and enjoy Smash as the big toybox of nonsense that it is, and Steve being so jarringly different from everyone else is no different to me than having some G.I. Joe action figures storm a big Lego playset. It's funny to me, and at the end of the day that's honestly some good times is all I really care about from Smash.
I think people forget that gaming is diverse. It would be boring if everything looked the same or had to be consistent to a standard.

We have characters like :ultdk: :ultgnw::ulthero: all in one game. It's not that big of a stretch for Steve to fit in there as well.

Would like to reiterate, gaming is diverse and I think it's cool to see different art styles clash. In this case, it's downright hilarious for me. The fact that Steve looks photoshopped just adds to the charm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom