• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
It's almost like we're contractually obligated to get things wrong unless we're told who it is flat-out.
This has been my opinion of the Smash community since Brawl.

(pardon double, dunno how that happened).

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Personally, I find Steve's out-of-placeness to be the charm of his character. I mean, Mario face emphasized that pretty well. The character just looks downright hilarious and ridiculous with everything he does. I don't think every Smash character needs to be taken in a serious direction or always look 100% professional. I like we have an MS-Paint-esque character on the roster.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
How do you think a semi-clone would be received if part of a regular pass at regular price?
Depends on their overall play style, how unique they are. And possibly the content they come with

BOI IF OCTOLING COMES WITH FLY OCTO FLY AS A TRACK I WILL BUY THAT PACK THEN BUY IT AGAIN FOR FRIENDS BRUH I NEEEEEED THAT SONG

SKX31

Smash Master
If you're talking about the part I think you are, he's using a flint and steel to light the ground on fire. the food item was probably spawned via debug tools for flavor. They've made a similar joke in other trailers IIRC.
That's the moment I was talking about, yes. It looked like cooking to my eyes (I haven't played Minecraft much, so I could be completely off).

If it's just a normal attack, then it's still a part of his stage control gameplan.

Looking at it again, it is in the background, so you probably can't stand on it, but it can be attacked. Whether it's purely for Steve's convenience or if it allows opponents to deny Steve his Crafting Table remains to be seen.
The Crafting Table's really going to be interesting, since either way Steve'll have to commit time to it. And thus use the blocks and other attacks to buy time to farm / craft.

If opponents can deny the Crafting Table, then that alone changes a lot still.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
A few last things:
  1. If Steve's Spirit Board has a Villager fight and they're not represented by :ultvillager:, it will be a huge missed opportunity
  2. If they somehow make his Classic Boss Hands, I SWEAR I WILL BREAK MY WINDOW WHILE SCREAMING BLOODY MURDER. Like, come on, there's at least some good options there.
  3. Since no one has said it yet... CP8 when? :4pacman:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Just woke up to the news.

I can't say too much for myself as Minecraft came out past my generation, but it was always around as I saw the merchandise everyone and my little cousins playing it so I knew what it meant to them and the generation they were a part of. So knowing that they're getting a character that appeals to them makes me happy since I know for them it's their Banjo, and I'm glad that they're getting a character that defined their childhood in such a way. Similarly, on that same note, congratulation to Steve/Alex fans. I know you guys put up with a lot during base game and DLC speculation due to the Grinch Leak and Microsoft wars and it's draining to have to deal with your favorite character getting attacked so often, so being able to wake up today and see the character you wanted join the roster must've been an exciting moment. These are the moments that make Smash special to everyone, and I'm glad that you'll be able to soon play the character you wanted.

I know how you feel, unless you count :ultzelda: getting her ALttP design.
I've been holding out for someone I'm interested in for a very long time too...
Same here, I haven't gotten anybody I actually cared about in this game (minus a few veterans in base, but hardly the same thing), and most of the characters on my wishlist are hard deconfirmed/10% likely at best.

It's cool seeing so many wishes get granted, but I wish I got a slice of the pie.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I think it's very possible we get one of them. I'd hope, personally of those, for
Sora > Layton > Phoenix > Amaterasu

I truly don't think Sora is off of the table, and dont honestly understand why others think he is.
Im feel none of them are possable.
It could still happen, but yeah it's better to hold out for more than just our 'most' wanted.

I haven't gotten a most wanted yet. Not that I wasn't happy with some, some I liked, I still like some characters quite a bit.
I doubty it will happen. i do want dante and maybe Travis and Yuri but... they probably are never happening either. i know they arent

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah because i didnt expect him. hes what made me buy the game but now im just holding onto useless dreams
Well we've got four more chances anyway so lets wait and see what else is in store...

So far the DLC has been quite unpredictable for the most part.

Same here, I haven't gotten anybody I actually cared about in this game (base included), and most of the characters on my wishlist are hard deconfirmed/10% likely at best.

It's cool seeing so many wishes get granted, but I wish I got a slice of the pie. :(
I know that feel bud, good luck to you too.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Looking at it again, it is in the background, so you probably can't stand on it, but it can be attacked. Whether it's purely for Steve's convenience or if it allows opponents to deny Steve his Crafting Table remains to be seen.
You think? I thought I saw it being attacked and it clanked, but maybe it actually does it damage.

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
I'm certain everything that can be said has already been said. I'm pretty indifferent to today's reveal. Bit jarring that they ripped graphics and animations straight from Minecraft itself, looks horribly out of place (though I'll probably get used to it).

I guess what's really interesting is that Vergeben (remember him?) was right about Minecraft in Smash after all this time, as Imran Khan mentioned on twitter that the deal had been in the works since 2018. Wild.

Goombaic

Smash Ace
This is the second time i thought they were adding a Nintendo villain only for it to be a Microsoft character instead which isn't a lot but it's weird that it happened twice.

RIP King Boo

Anyway, that was exciting. I've already texted a couple of friends about this, and the outrage over this is hilarious. Only question I habe now is what are their taunts. I thought eating the steak was one, but that seems to be part of a move or something.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
That's the moment I was talking about, yes. It looked like cooking to my eyes (I haven't played Minecraft much, so I could be completely off).
You need a campfire at least to cook. Just Flint and Steel won't cut it. Flint and Steel summoning chicken is probably as likely as Din's Fire turning Falco into chicken was.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
Well we've got four more chances anyway so lets wait and see what else is in store...

So far the DLC has been quite unpredictable for the most part.
i guess

but i feel its better for my happiness to just..give up. give up and believe they are never coming

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Same here, I haven't gotten anybody I actually cared about in this game (minus a few veterans in base, but hardly the same thing), and most of the characters on my wishlist are hard deconfirmed/10% likely at best.

It's cool seeing so many wishes get granted, but I wish I got a slice of the pie. :(
Who is it you wanted in?

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Since Microsoft now gas 2 guys now the only outliers are Namco and SNK.

Yuri and Marco when?

I think it's very possible we get one of them. I'd hope, personally of those, for
Sora > Layton > Phoenix > Amaterasu

I truly don't think Sora is off of the table, and dont honestly understand why others think he is.
Sora is tied as my most wanted alongside Kiryu but I totally get why people think sora is off the table.

Disney would probably ask for too much.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Just woke up to the news.

I can't say too much for myself as Minecraft came out past my generation, but it was always around as I saw the merchandise everyone and my little cousins playing it so I knew what it meant to them and the generation they were a part of. So knowing that they're getting a character that appeals to them makes me happy since I know for them it's their Banjo, and I'm glad that they're getting a character that defined their childhood in such a way. Similarly, on that same note, congratulation to Steve/Alex fans. I know you guys put up with a lot during base game and DLC speculation due to the Grinch Leak and Microsoft wars and it's draining to have to deal with your favorite character getting attacked so often, so being able to wake up today and see the character you wanted join the roster must've been an exciting moment. These are the moments that make Smash special to everyone, and I'm glad that you'll be able to soon play the character you wanted.
Yes! You're the first person who said Steve/Aex. Woo. Hopefully it catches on :p

And uhh.. I guess after Byleth and Min Min it's good to get a popular 3rd party for a bit.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Hold on

I know there was this leak for FPV1 that was proven fake that said Joker, Hero (called “Erdrick” in the leak), Steve, Doomguy and Hayabusa. I wanna look at it again real quick, just to make sure something else also proved it fake. Think it was one of the stages...
Anyone? Just to look at it real quick

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
A few last things:
  1. If Steve's Spirit Board has a Villager fight and they're not represented by :ultvillager:, it will be a huge missed opportunity
  2. If they somehow make his Classic Boss Hands, I SWEAR I WILL BREAK MY WINDOW WHILE SCREAMING BLOODY MURDER. Like, come on, there's at least some good options there.
  3. Since no one has said it yet... CP8 when? :4pacman:
Steve will fight the hands because he has no hands
please actually fight Rathalos or Giga Bowser

D

Deleted member

Y'know, I'm going to do a half-about face here. Initial gameplay reaction and my guess as to which archetype Steve will fill (could be wrong here, but still):

Steve is very likely to be focused around stage control, farming and counter-zoning. Steve's normals are likely to be shortranged (as the pickaxe swing shows), but his ability to get blocks and items will define him. Especially since he apparently can get healing items - that further encourages the Steve player to set up shop, upgrade gear and just dominate the stage. Blocks will likely have some health, so once he's set up, he can buy more time to get that amazing gear and TNT blocks. Normal blocks do have a limited time until they break, as Cutie Gwen noted, but they can still buy time. TNT blocks especially emphasize this, as the mere threat of it can make zoners think twice and have to reposition. Likewise, as SharkLord noted, Steve is likely to have excellent edgeguarding if he gets an advantage first, since he can place the blocks at the edge or even above (depending on how Steve can actually place them) and manipulate opponents into really bad situations.

If one plays against Steve: one will want to deny him any space to farm / build up his stuff or get items as often as possible. Sounds straightforward enough to be obvious, but do you really want to be trapped in a house like the Pichu in the trailer? That's an amazing opportunity for a TNT block. Take up space, identify when to punish Steve (when he's landing from his glide or down-air, make him think it's safe to place blocks etc.) mind games etc.

One of Steve's most likely weaknesses is that he'll struggle against swordies before he can get upgraded gear because he seemingly lacks range to fight back up close. Rushdown characters like Joker might be another problem for him since they might be able to get the drop on Steve before he's properly able to set up shop.

Zoners like K. Rool, Snake and Min Min might struggle against Steve because they want to control space themselves... and that Kannonball's / ARM is not going to do much if it hits one of Steve's bricks. Worst case scenario it'll give Steve even more time to farm.

We don't know his stats (weight, air speed etc.) so I'll hold off still on a full impression. But that's the gist of it.

Now that's interesting. Last I heard (IIRC) he was looking into the LoL leak. He hasn't said anything about that since AFAIK.

I'm gonna watch out for that, even if it turns out to be false (which it might).

Yes, Minecraft's huge in China, and the claim is 300 million Minecraft accounts there. Chinese reactions to the reveal seem to be decently big (100K+ in under 2 hours) and several commenters noted that Twitter's paralyzed. Another hot topic is that Microsoft got that second character - with one commenter even asking "Political Marriage?" (in reference to Nintendo's and Microsoft's recent partnership).

While the reaction isn't unanimously positive (one Chinese XC2 fan lamented that it's getting not a lot of love, and that was upvoted in the comments) the reaction was still mainly positive.
You're an expert on competitive Smash and China.

Keep up the great work! Also 300 million accounts in China? That is almost one in four people in China having an account.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Professor Pumpkaboo Professor Pumpkaboo I really do think a character you'd like can still make it in. There's 4 slots left. That's a considerable amount. I think once everyone calms down from today and things start returning back to normal speculation discussion you'll find yourself back with more energy. You just have to find the strength to slug through the bad feelings.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Most Wanteds I got:

Little Mac (Wanted since before Brawl)
Wolf (Wanted since before Brawl... got in Brawl. Was kind of neat)
Pirahna Plant (Okay, I wanted any henchman/minion, but still counts)
Daisy (Admittedly grew a lot to a most wanted because of the year between 4 and Ultimate where the Daisy social thread was a lot of fun and a reason I kept coming back to the site to relax. Used to give a lot of ideas of incorporating Daisy and Tatanga into 2D mario games.)
Ridley
K Rool
Min-Min (My main in ARMs.. though I would also have loved Lola Pop)
Mii Fighter (yeah, I wanted this. I loved 4).

Still wanteds:

Phosphora or Magnus or Medusa
Vaati or Impa
Dixie or Lanky or Cranky
More Henchmen/minions
Bandana Waddle Dee or Gooey or Magalor
Mike Jones
Crono
Zoda or Zoda (Star Tropics or F-Zero... I'm down)
Isaac
Andy (Advance Wars)
Tales Rep
Who knows how many others I'm forgetting. Captain Syrup!

But at this point I'm just down for more smash bros.

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
I am happy for the people who had Steve as one of their most Wanted, even if I personally didn't want him in. I knew why he got picked over others.

A lot of my most wanteds were either highly unlikely or impossible to get in Smash anyways: Travis, Reimu, Sol Badguy, Kazuma Kiryu, Dante, Monokuma, Phoenix Wright, Elma, Cronos, etc etc.

I knew my taste in character reps raise a lot of eyebrows anyways because they were glanced over or deemed impossible. At least we know some peoples dreams were fulfilled today and that is all that matters.

Banado_Boy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Banado_Boy
Switch FC
SW-3619-0087-7500
I feel if anything Steve getting in had decreased Crash's chances as I feel we'd only get one more Western rep at most in this pass. Love to be wrong though.
I think something to keep in mind is that this current Fighter Pass was meant to go through two E3s. I wouldn’t count out another western character like Crash just yet.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Since Microsoft now gas 2 guys now the only outliers are Namco and SNK.

Yuri and Marco when?

Sora is tied as my most wanted alongside Kiryu but I totally get why people think sora is off the table.

Disney would probably ask for too much.
Please for the love of Satan, don't let us get a second SNK rep. One was perfect.
Bamco---- #TeamAgumon

D

Deleted member

Steve vs Shulk, the battle of gods.

Steve is literally a god in Creative Mode. Have all of you tampered with Minecraft commands before?

RaintheCriminalWhirlwind

Smash Journeyman
So we 4 characters left. At this I'm pretty disheartened about 2B's chances but she still number 1.

1.2B
2. Tracer
3. Dante
4. Waluigi (because if [REDACTED] got in then why the hell not?)

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
Professor Pumpkaboo Professor Pumpkaboo I really do think a character you'd like can still make it in. There's 4 slots left. That's a considerable amount. I think once everyone calms down from today and things start returning back to normal speculation discussion you'll find yourself back with more energy. You just have to find the strength to slug through the bad feelings.
i dont know how you can be optimistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom