• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Only complaint with Steve is no Tuxedo Alt
I can settle for the Mad King though
I do think the lack of a Banjo & Kazooie alt is a bit of a missed opportunity. They probably wanted to keep the focus on Minecraft, but I really hope they get one in the next game assuming both characters make it, because that would be pretty hilarious.

Phoenixio

Smash Apprentice
I will say though, I wasn't really expecting this much disdain and indifference.
Wrong community to expect passion on this. People wanted him for sure, but on here there's been tons of people arguing against Steve for a long time. But then again, because some people didn't care for him doesn't mean they won't enjoy him as a character. I'm pretty psyched, despite not caring for Minecraft in Smash that much. And the level looks gorgeous.

We've got the king of indies.
But are they really Indie anymore? Originially yes, for sure, but when Microsoft buys your studio, it's not really Indie anymore...

Steve in Smash is enormous, but I don't see us getting a third pass.

Sakurai has stated that this will be the last pass.
Didn't Sakurai say, at some point, that there was no content planned after the second pass yet? That's entirely different from saying it's the last pass. Especially if suddenly it starts selling super well again due to the Minecraft partnership. They decided on a second pass because of that, the first time around, and it was mostly from Joker sales.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
View attachment 287750

Eeyup yup yup. It was only a matter of time, kiddos. Did you really think a game arguably as influential as Tetris and Pong won't make it in? See? I'm a boomer and I *in' love this *, because back when the ol' Banjo vs Steve wars happened, I asked a simple question:
tfw despite being a college student that played minecraft in middle school and high school, but have no hard feelings one way or another due to not having much interest in the game over the years

You ever sit down and think that Ryu just goes around multiple universes fighting the weirdest ****

Ryu vs Minecraft Steve is probably one of the strangest matchups I could ever think of lmao
This chart is only 3 years old and is already very outdated.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
At 2:28 you can see the glide and angling with it downwards like we could before
Ah, okay. Missed that. Thought they only showed the close up. Thanks.

Chances are that the glide might have limited directions, considering he turned sharply with no real intermediate stage (contra previous Glides). If it's indeed limited directions it's more commital since one can more reliably guess where he's going.

We'll have to see on Saturday, that said. I'm going to wait with writing a detailed gameplay until Saturday too, FTR.

Bowser D.X

Brawl Player
My reaction is pretty much "meh." I get that it's super popular especially with under 20's who would have grown up with it and has had a huge impact; but I just cannot for the life of me get hype for anything Minecraft related. In my mind it's still just that new dorky game that 8 year olds and annoying YouTubers play,

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?

Royalty1702

Smash Journeyman
Steve was one of the picks I didn't really want but think should be in Smash nonetheless, like Geno.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I have a feeling that Geno and Lloyd's mii costumes will come back in the next Mii showcase on Saturday.
I’m guessing Lloyd and/or Gil. Not Geno yet

also some Microsoft costumes (Ori PLSSSSSS) and maybe just maybe that rumored Hollow Knight costume...?

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Even as someone fairly neutral towards Minecraft, it is nice that Smash speculation and discussion feels like it has real energy again. No disrespect indented towards Byleth or Min Min, but this is the first time in a while that it feels like the sky is the limit with Smash.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Man he just looks like so much fun, I can't wait to play him.

I've never really invested much time into actually playing Minecraft over the years but I always liked watching others play it. Like Beanut butter gamers Minecraft hardcore series. Those are classic.

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
Its curious that last year we had lots of discussions of Steve vs Banjo-Kazooie and in the end, both get in Smash Ultimate LOL.

btw I get that Minecraft is huge, but I think that they were other big contenders for western fighter representation, that maybe fit more with smash (like crash or master chief).

Lets see on Saturday stream how does he plays and with what Mii Costumes does Sakurai surprises us.

[Maple]

Smash Journeyman
I'm kind of hype. I just hope this will not lead us to Fortnite guy in smash

Banado_Boy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Banado_Boy
Switch FC
SW-3619-0087-7500
I’m really curious what kind of Mii costumes could we be getting with Steve now. Master Sans? Some Minecraft Mii costumes? Or maybe just a random assortment, like with Banjo?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I'm happy for Steve fans. Guess Jonesy has a shot now too...
Honestly, I don't think they're comparable. Minecraft is a budding franchise on top of its first game's success. Fortnite is currently just...Fortnite.

I mean, Jonesy was never ineligible, but I don't think Steve increases his chances any. He's pretty unrelated.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
Something I think we should also really take note of is Sakurai's comments about programming for Steve being difficult, he also made similar comments about Min Min being hard to work on. So it seems like they are prioritizing the characters that would more difficult to make and program for rather then just pure hype. So CP12 should likely a relatively simple move set all things consider if things continue like this.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I mean, Minecraft's always gonna have a ton of irrational hate thrown at it due to it being seen as a "kids game", and some people just not liking it.

Not me though, this is sweeeeeeet.
The irrational hate for it is also so extremely insignificant that mentioning it is just foolishness tbh.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Congratulations.
What I didn't call was Alex being billed as part of the core character. Like Byleth was.

However, she was an obvious costume. The costume list is great. Zombie I thought on, and Enderman was the only one not on my mind. Also, his Final Smash does remind me somewhat of Villager's. Funny that, considering the "he'd be too much like Villager".

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Honestly, I'm almost certain Geno is going to squeeze his way into the pass at some point (sorry for bringing up such a heinous name!)

Steve has been one of the most polarizing reveals yet, controversial I'd say. I think Geno would be the same way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom