• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Jeez, I knew people didn't take Steve seriously, but I'm surprised that not as many people here were won over by his moveset.

I've got to say though, it is kinda ironic how people were begging for the character to be a huge third-party and not something like Pokémon. That's exactly what happened...and people are mad.
I mean people will always be mad. I'm seeing fairly good reactions so far, maybe I've been lucky.

What happens with Steve is that Minecraft still has that stigma of "meme game" and "game for kids" for some people. It will fade away with the time, and the same will happen with Fortnite and other popular games.

I'm not crazy over Steve but he's a huge addition. I mean Minecraft is the best selling game in the world. So I'm just happy for his fans and looking forward to see how Steve plays, because it looks interesting to me.

Brindor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2939-3197-6187
Congrats Minecraft fans, I always thought Steve and co often got crapped on by others in the Smash fans a lot more then others for some unknown reason. So it's nice to see that you finally got what you wanted in the end!

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
My sister is absolutely elated and she doesn't particularly care for Super Smash Bros.

Today is a good day.
This times 9000. Here's the thing-- even if you don't like Steve, this makes the Fighters Pass more sellable, and brings huge attention to Smash as a game. THIS MEANS we are more likely to get a third pass. There should be 0 disappointment. (How Ironic it would be if behind the scenes, Steve makes your own character a reality in the future).

D

Deleted member

This times 9000. Here's the thing-- even if you don't like Steve, this makes the Fighters Pass more sellable, and brings huge attention to Smash as a game. THIS MEANS we are more likely to get a third pass. There should be 0 disappointment. (How Ironic it would be if behind the scenes, Steve makes your own character a reality in the future).
Steve in Smash is enormous, but I don't see us getting a third pass.

Sakurai has stated that this will be the last pass.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
So this is really cool for Minecraft fans to see this. I’m not personally invested in the character, though this means I have to play Minecraft myself.

If there were any thoughts that Min Min characterized a mostly 1st party pass, I think that’s out of the picture. Doesn’t mean mostly 3rd parties either, but in terms of size, this is the biggest they can pick.

I think we’re in for a really cool pass.

EmperorCoal

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-5396-2021-6143
Was obviously exaggerating a little in my last comment afraid you can’t shut me up but the real question is many times can they kill Mario in these reveal trailers?

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Man, after years of Minecraft in Smash debating, it's pretty surreal to actually see it in Smash. I may not be a fan of Minecraft, but I'm still interested on what they will do with the character and stage.

And major props to Sakurai calling out on people thinking it's so easy to do characters.

I wonder how this will affect Master Chief's chances. I mean, both Banjo AND Steve show that Microsoft and Nintendo are pretty on-board with each other. Even if two Microsoft characters sounds like it would lower MC's chances significantly. But who knows as this point, considering alot of people thought Steve wouldn't get in after Banjo & Kazooie.

Souless_shadow

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3609-1166-4956
Steve for sure was by far my LEAST wanted, but even then, I'm kind of excited. Overall I'm not going to be upset about a new character coming my favorite fighting game, especially someone as unique as Steve looks to be.

The level of salt coming from this is pretty hilarious though, people really be getting upset over a character in a video game

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Man, this reveal hits home for me

I remember playing Minecraft back in the day when it was still indie. That game, along with Brawl consumed hundreds of hours in my life at that point. I never really humored the thought of Steve in Smash that much at the time but uh...

What a timeline, man

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
So, did anyone else get the feeling that Sakurai went on a bit of a (very politely worded) rant in his further breakdown of this inclusion? I don't wanna make it sound like I think he personally dislikes it, but I found it funny how he talked about his superiors.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Gonna quote my own personal thoughts from the Geno thread...
Not my preferred choice for a second Microsoft rep (my condolences to the Chief), but I asked for a character that was worth the wait and would get a ton of people excited, and a Minecraft character certainly fits the bill. Congrats to @TheCJBrine for getting his most wanted, and here's the rest of the thread getting its most wanted soon.

The potential Mii Fighter Costumes we might see this Saturday though, they're probably gonna be... a whole lot of something.
Also, if Fighters Pass 2 wasn't selling well, this is definitely gonna be the shot in the arm it needs.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It might also be more like a traditional Up Special that can just go horizontally. I'd personally expect something more like Power of Flight than the actual gliding mechanic.
If you watch the video at 2:28,, you can see steve boosting horizontally, from right to left, and then angling down and slamming into the ground when going into the ground:

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I'm actually mad...

Not because of Steve, I'm very much indifferent to his inclusion and its understandable, but for some reason the announcement trailer never actually played and I'm just sitting there like a moron waiting for it, I initially closed the chat but opened it up out of curiosity only to find minecraft all over the place.

I'm restarting YT, trying to check twitter (which was rip) but only after like 15 minutes of messing around with everything I finally got to see the announcement. Which of course means nothing now that I already knew who the character was...

Luxent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Luxent
Switch FC
Steve's mine cart attack buries donkey kong IN the Cart while it rolls off the stage............. Im crying thats so op.
(Right before it shows his victory screen)

volbound1700

Smash Master
I mean if Hero was moved to DLC due to the composer demanding royalties...

also we got our first indie rep in smash
Hero was definitely one of the best characters that I didn't know that I wanted. His inclusion worked for me in that I went out and bought and have played through a lot of the new DQ 11 game. His move-set is fantastic. I love the random spells.

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
last year we had sans undertale complete with megalovania join smash
this year was minecraft
i don't think i can take whatever comes next year. i can't possibly think of what could be bigger.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Well holy **** it’s Steve. With 0 different animations lol. That’s pretty ****ing cool. Looks like he’ll be pretty fun. I stand by my statement that he’s one ugly Tucker but eh, it’s iconic I suppose.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
One year ago, if this had been the second E3 reveal, I would have been angry, ngl. Now... I'm indifferent.

Congrats to the Steve fans, though. The alts were probably why the trailer was so long, like with Hero's. Moveset didn't really win me over, but what can you do. I kinda have a problem with his FS, tho - well, not Steve's specifically, but I kinda hate how every FS now is just "press B, hit someone, watch cutscene".

Stage looks... kinda cool, I guess? But the thing I'll be looking forward to in that presentation is the Mii Costumes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom