• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Not a character that I wanted but one that is very deserving and not a bad pick (unlike Joker). Congrats Minecraft and Steve fans. Only negative is that this likely deconfirms MasterChief (I thought his chances were very low anyways)

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I doubt they were already planning this all the way back when Vergeben leaked the base game. FP2 definitely would've been planned later.

One thing I will have to say is that judging from what played in the trailer, at least you don't have to worry about Minecraft music being too bland for battle.
I mean if Hero was moved to DLC due to the composer demanding royalties...

also we got our first indie rep in smash

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
Well, as the disappointment settles I have a few thoughts about what this means for the remaining characters:

1. No more Microsoft characters, which is basically just Chief
  2. It's not a budget pass like some speculated. Nor is it only first party characters
  3. A Mario character is much less likely now (IMO) since they didn't sync it up with the big anniversary month.
  4. This is our first "pure" Western character. The others have either been owned by Nintendo or had such a close relationship with Nintendo they were basically honorary members.
  5. This may be our "big" character for the pass. Last time it was Hero and no other character came close in terms of series sales/recognition.

Banado_Boy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Banado_Boy
Switch FC
SW-3619-0087-7500
Well, at least Hatsune Miku is represented in Smash. :4pacman:

I’m a bit neutral on Steve’s inclusion. Don’t really know what else to say.

YeppersPeppers

Smash Journeyman
I've spent enough time working and volunteering in classrooms and camps to know that this is a HUGE deal. I cannot stress how many times kids have asked me if Steve will be in the game once I expressed knowledge of Smash. I already know some kids who will be unbelievably happy when they find out. Because of that, I have no problems with this.

Arcane Jill

Smash Apprentice
Super happy Steve made it! Glad they kept the jank and didn't make him look like Story Mode or something. Was hoping he would get in back in FP1, been playing MC since 1.0.0 so it is a really amazing to see him finally get in! Agree with Sakurai, he must have been a nightmare to program. Looks like he will be a blast to play with all his mechanics! $5 says the competitive community throws a fit 5X larger than what they did with :ulthero: lol. This has really made my day, def buying the pass now!

SKX31

Smash Master
I admit I found it hilarious how even Sakurai didn't seem enthralled about adding Steve lol.
It sounds like the massive workload was the issue.

And really, I don't blame him - he mentioned that they had to change every stage to accomondate Steve's blocks.

But that's two really difficult characters to design down now.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
So why they hell would they post this as a separate short trailer, if they were just going to do a longer Smash video in 2 days? Why not just put them together?

Congrats to those who wanted Steve but to me, this is easily the most disappointing newcomer to join Smash Ultimate thus far.
2nd for me. Byleth was worse.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
1601562007843.png

Oh man, I've never felt so much power before. This is ****ing amazing, I love this game. The way he moves and acts is exactly how I've speculated, and we got the Zombie/Enderman costumes? This is ****ing great.

Last edited:

Jerry98

Smash Journeyman
Not a character I wanted, but it looks great! So I'm totally okay with him!

But fplaying as Steve means you can change the composition of the stage and that could be a mess. I hope I'm wrong

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I'll give a full write-up later today on my thoughts on Steve's inclusion and what it may mean for speculation later, once the thread slows down, but I will say this:

Hot damn does Steve look good. Minecraft in Smash was always an idea I liked in principle, but was on the fence about when it came to execution. However, this is literally perfect. It's fateful to Minecraft while also fitting like a glove to Smash. Sakurai really brought his A-game and it shows.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'm not a huge Minecraft fan, but Steve was one of the few third-parties I was secretly rooting for. In all honesty, this is probably the most significant third-party addition in Ultimate so far.

Oh well. I guess a lot of people see this as the equivalent of adding a Fortnite rep. Maybe Steve will see better days after the dust settles.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
I've played probably about 10 hours of Minecraft in total. I was always throwing around how they would integrate him when he had so much potential and after Min Min I was pretty certain they would still go the kitchen sink route and they have. We will have fall damage and a character who is forced to eat good every now and again in Smash bros.

The stage I assume is randomly generated. I dunno whether Sakurai was happy or sad when talking about Steve/Alex/Zombie/Enderman tbh. Still it seems there is a lot of fan service stuffed in here. I just hope the music is all remixed. There shouldn't be a world where 99% of BK music is remixed and Minecraft gets even a single calm song. I really want to see what else they have up their sleeve in the music department

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
Hey man this is all gravy for me; not only does he look like a rad addition, but it indicates that major third parties are still on the table.

Sidenote: RIP to the man in green
maybe next smash

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I cannot bring myself to be excited for a character I didn't want. I'm sorry.

Congrats to those who wanted Steve but to me, this is easily the most disappointing newcomer to join Smash Ultimate thus far.
....how can you possibly compare this to Byleth?

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
i wanna reiterate that i said nintendo and microsoft putting in minecraft would be them trying to take out sony

watch as the rest of the pass is Doom Guy, Dovahkiin and Master Chief, and then they announce an Xbox X Series X One X port of Smash Bros for the sole purpose of leaving the PS5 in the dust

Dyamanttine

Smash Journeyman
This was a good day for me, because now Sora doesnt have to compete with Master Chief, or the other way around... OH MY GOSH

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
I laughed. I was especting the fraggin Doom Slayer when Mario was surrounded by monsters.
Not my kind of game and weird fighter as f--- But, well, seems a big deal. Salt everywhere but I prefer Fornite just for the cries, I don't like the Minecraft looking, but OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom