• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's the sudden re-release of the Cloud amiibos; I can't recall if that happened before Hero's announcement/release, though it could just be due to the fact that Hero's amiibo is coming out, so they might as well re-release the other Square-Enix amiibo while they're at it. (the Mario and Luigi Smash amiibos are also getting re-released, though that could easily be chalked up to the anniversary)
It could be that since FF7 remake released a lot of Cloud amiibos have been sold, and this is simply for restocking purposes and nothing more.

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
Is there any reason you feel so strongly, other than personal desire?
Mega Man needs more representatives than just Classic Mega Man. And besides, Zero (Z) has appeared in a fighting game before, SVC Chaos: SNK vs Capcom (and that one had Ryu, Ken, and Terry in it), so it would make some sense.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
So here's what I'm thinking. I am looking at this without bias, or at least with as little bias as possible.

Tomorrow the video will be around 3 minutes. It will not be a full presentation, and the comments from Sakurai aren't mentioned in the Japanese presentation. I have heard different interpretations on this, but I'm not sure exactly what to think.

On one hand, it's been suggested that if it's a western only thing, that it would be Sakurai explaining the character because they're obscure to the west. However, with characters like Byleth, Terry Bogard, and even Dragon Quest, Sakurai has spent a sizeable chunk of time talking about each series. If the character were Reimu, or something, I doubt the talk would be 30 seconds. You'd need significant time to talk about a relatively unknown pick.

On the other, and in my opinion a more likely scenario, is a character that, for now, doesn't need a longer introduction. It's somebody that many could recognize and "get" off the bat. I'm not throwing chips into any particular table here, but games that come to mind are...Pokemon, Mario, Zelda, Devil May Cry (Dante is relatively well known, fyi), Crash Bandicoot, etc. This is why the form of "What is X?" wouldn't apply...it's not a long enough presentation to bother with that, so there's no ridiculous, "What is Pokemon/Mario/The Legend of Zelda".

In terms of what Sakurai will say, I really don't know. My guess is something about development, but that would probably also be said to the Japanese viewers. On the flip side of that, despite the different titles of the videos, it seems possible that, if the same length, it's the same video with different labeling for consistency.

I'm not really sure what I think, but I don't necessarily buy that it's an obscure character who needs explanation.

What makes this whole thing interesting however is that with every character is a content update, with potentially new features, Mii Costumes, etc. There's a lot of content we're losing here, which does seem to indicate that there will be another presentation at another date with that complete description.

Last edited:

TheShiningAbsol

Smash Journeyman
That's right. Koopa Troopa is joining the battle as a playable fighter. By the way, Fighter's Pass 2 now has been delayed. We estimate that each pack will be released by December 31, 2022. K, bye!
Childhood me switching Melee's language to Japanese to prank my friend over the phone by telling him I unlocked Koopa would be pleased.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
So here's what I'm thinking. I am looking at this without bias, or at least with as little bias as possible.

Tomorrow the video will be around 3 minutes. It will not be a full presentation, and the comments from Sakurai aren't mentioned in the Japanese presentation. I have heard different interpretations on this, but I'm not sure exactly what to think.

On one hand, it's been suggested that if it's a western only thing, that it would be Sakurai explaining the character because they're obscure to the west. However, with characters like Byleth, Terry Bogard, and even Dragon Quest, Sakurai has spent a sizeable chunk of time talking about each series. If the character were Reimu, or something, I doubt the talk would be 30 seconds. You'd need significant time to talk about a relatively unknown pick.

On the other, and in my opinion a more likely scenario, is a character that, for now, doesn't need a longer introduction. It's somebody that many could recognize and "get" off the bat. I'm not throwing chips into any particular table here, but games that come to mind are...Pokemon, Mario, Zelda, Devil May Cry (Dante is relatively well known, fyi), Crash Bandicoot, etc. This is why the form of "What is X?" wouldn't apply...it's not a long enough presentation to bother with that, so there's no ridiculous, "What is Pokemon/Mario/The Legend of Zelda".

In terms of what Sakurai will say, I really don't know. My guess is something about development, but that would probably also be said to the Japanese viewers. On the flip side of that, despite the different titles of the videos, it seems possible that, if the same length, it's the same video with different labeling for consistency.

I'm not really sure what I think, but I don't necessarily buy that it's an obscure character who needs explanation.
I mean, historically, Smash trailers kinda push 3 minutes on their own.

Joker's TGA one: 1:41
Joker's Direct one: 2:53
Hero: 3:11
Banjo: 2:27
Terry: 2:34
Byleth: 3:56
MinMin: 2:46

Like, the only reason Joker's og one didn't go for so long is probably because there was 0 gameplay.

Frankly speaking, how are we even sure if we're getting a full blown trailer tomorrow? Like, if this is really only 3 minutes, this character either has the shortest trailer bar none, or Sakurai's gonna pop in for like 30 seconds and then peace.

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
What makes this whole thing interesting however is that with every character is a content update, with potentially new features, Mii Costumes, etc. There's a lot of content we're losing here, which does seem to indicate that there will be another presentation at another date with that complete description.
That's the weird thing about this. Are we going to get a full Sakurai Presents for this character later? If not, why are they not doing what they did with Joker and having all the content shown off with a voice over?

It makes me think this character may not be released for a while. Otherwise, it wouldn't make sense to have this presentation now and then a bigger one shortly after. Which then logically leads me to think the Sakurai Statement is going to be an apology/explanation about a delay.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547

Like, the only reason Joker's og one didn't go for so long is probably because there was 0 gameplay.

Frankly speaking, how are we even sure if we're getting a full blown trailer tomorrow? Like, if this is really only 3 minutes, this character either has the shortest trailer bar none, or Sakurai's gonna pop in for like 30 seconds and then peace.
From the sound of the tweet, the reveal trailer will be 3 minutes in length. Followed by that, Sakurai will have a brief message. To some, brief is 30 seconds, to others, it’s 3 minutes. The entire video presentation will be longer than 3 minutes but probably shorter than 8 depending on what exactly Sakurai wants to talk about at the end.

TheShiningAbsol

Smash Journeyman

Maybe I read it wrong, but I figured the 3 minutes wasn't counting the message from Sakurai.

SharkLord

Smash Hero

The trailer itself is three minutes, followed by Sakurai. They're separate parts of the stream, it seems.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
My entire take is we will get a reveal trailer like Terry with perhaps some small gameplay footage. Sakurai then comes on, explains he is sorry but admits that Corona has significantly delayed development but they are back on track currently. More or less, this is to tide us over until the end of the month where Sakurai will release a Sakurai presents near Halloween time followed by Fighter #7 after the presentation.

Shroob

Sup?
The trailer itself is three minutes, followed by Sakurai. They're separate parts of the stream, it seems.
Well if that's the case, then I'm predicting Trailer and delay message, nothing along the sorts of explaining who they are. That would be saved for an actual presentation.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
Have direct/event announcements had similar discrepancies before as far as telling the viewer what to expect goes? Is it feasible that the Japanese presentation will include the message as well and they just didn't put that in the actual announcement for whatever reason?

Because this just seems weird otherwise. What would warrant a talk from Sakurai in the west that wouldn't be warranted in Japan? Delays should apply to both unless it's specifically a regional delay. A small amount of time isn't enough to fully explain characters that have little presence in the west. So what other possibilities are there?

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
This is why the form of "What is X?" wouldn't apply...it's not a long enough presentation to bother with that, so there's no ridiculous, "What is Pokemon/Mario/The Legend of Zelda".
Ngl, I kinda want to see how Sakurai would handle having to explain "what is Super Mario", lol.

It's almost like being asked to explain the color red.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Ngl, I kinda want to see how Sakurai would handle having to explain "what is Super Mario", lol.

It's almost like being asked to explain the color red.
Sakurai presents: "Explain a video game that everyone knows in the worst way possible"

SharkLord

Smash Hero

On the topic of the time, it seems the ones that stretched over three minutes had multiple alts that were shown after the default (:ulthero3::ultbylethf:). Perhaps the fighter shown off here might have something similar. The first one I think of is the two Sakuras... Even though I knowjack about the franchise beyond the impact.

WELP

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
The 3 minutes are from the trailer, it's obvious. Show the fighter and some moves, you can tell it in a video without a presentation but not so clearly. Maybe the fighter is not very complicated. Sakurai's video is more misterious. Maybe is a petition for a bit more waiting or something about that there's no showcase this time due the pandemic. Probably we won't get the fighter tomorrow but it can't be very long if the spaces in the event calendar mean something.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I doubt that whatever Sakurai says after the trailer won't be on the Japanese video. It doesn't make a lot of sense to ask a Japanese man to give an explanation they're going to have to pay someone else to translate and dub later. If it really was Western exclusive, it would probably be Doug Bowser or Bill Trinen giving it. The difference in phrasing is weird but it's probably due to cultural differences in how these things are promoted and how expectations are tempered.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I doubt that whatever Sakurai says after the trailer won't be on the Japanese video. It doesn't make a lot of sense to ask a Japanese man to give an explanation they're going to have to pay someone else to translate and dub later. If it really was Western exclusive, it would probably be Doug Bowser or Bill Trinen giving it. The difference in phrasing is weird but it's probably due to cultural differences in how these things are promoted and how expectations are tempered.
Hmmm.

I'm not sure of the wording or stuff, but if the English version has an exclusive message (Which I doubt) but maybe it's something along the lines the revealed character not having English lines ready.

D

Deleted member

I just decided to look at ZhugeEx's twitter page and saw that he retweeted stuff about Nintendo and Koei-Tecmo's collaborations after the big announcement today. It's been only 1 day since anything Smash related and now I think I'm going insane thinking about something I'm probably looking too much into.

Shroob

Sup?
I just decided to look at ZhugeEx's twitter page and saw that he retweeted stuff about Nintendo and Koei-Tecmo's collaborations after the big announcement today. It's been only 1 day since anything Smash related and now I think I'm going insane thinking about something I'm probably looking too much into.
Considering he's a gaming journalist, you're reading too deeply into things.

You need to look for the really out of place ****.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
nothing on either Imran or Zhuge's twitter accounts

anyone wanna stalk gamefaqs and/or resetera?

Shroob

Sup?
nothing on either Imran or Zhuge's twitter accounts

anyone wanna stalk gamefaqs and/or resetera?
I dunno if the press kits have even gone out yet tbh.

Also, let's not kid ourselves, they probably realize they have a bajillion eyes on them. Even if they do leak it, it's going to be bigbrain like MinMin's was.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
While the Crash thread on this site is pretty tame so far, I have seen a bunch of Crash fans on discord and reddit today get a bit took cocky about Crash's chances.
Well, I think that one thing is to be optimistic and be hyped and all. Each one is entitled in how to act when it comes to a new character. Some try to manage expectations and others are more about "let the hype begin" and all.
At the same time, if said character ends being disappointing for someone, he/she should be aware that no one owes him nothing and while he can express his disappointment, that doesn't mean it's okay to offend other people or insult the character because it isn't the one you wanted.

You have a point there.

At the same time, I don't think Doug Bowser or Trinen would show up. Smash related stuff has been always presented with Sakurai for quite a good time, so I don't think it's that far fetched for Nintendo to just ask him to record a video for the western audience, if his brief message is really exclusive of the western livestream.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
While the Crash thread on this site is pretty tame so far, I have seen a bunch of Crash fans on discord and reddit today get a bit took cocky about Crash's chances.
As a big Crash Bandicoot supporter, I definitely don't want to get cocky that he's coming just because his next big game is coming out the day after tomorrow.

But even if he doesn't show up tomorrow, I still really like his chances on the remainder of the pass.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I'm hoping for Crash but even then I'm not betting my money on him as the release of Crash 4 is simply a coincidence, plus what they don't keep in mind is how the pandemic threw things off this year so for the reveal tomorrow following that game's release is merely coincidental.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Honestly if these are the contenders we're looking at, then chances are I'm gonna be very happy tomorrow.

I wonder why they mention Leon and Jill though. It's pretty clear that RE isn't happening.
I’ll scream if RE somehow happens. It won’t happen but maybe the Spirit event was a ruse to throw us off the scent? Lmao

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
So I have a theory about the presentation, which is link to the M theory. It's a bit far fetched, but I might as well share it because why not.

Ok so in the first pass, Sakurai always explain the history of the franchise linked to the characters, except for Joker. For Joker he did a character presentation without talking about Persona. While you might say that he did that because at the time he didn't had the idea of doing these big presentation, perhaps he didn't do it for Persona because of it's mature content and persona games have a lot of blood. I don,t see that going too well in a Smash presentation for everyone.

So maybe, the reason why our next fighter is not getting an extended presentation is because it's coming from a Mature franchise? Like I said it's a bit of a stretch because maybe they're just going to do his big presentation later. But I think that might be a possibility of why we're getting a shorter presentation.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So I have a theory about the presentation, which is link to the M theory. It's a bit far fetched, but I might as well share it because why not.

Ok so in the first pass, Sakurai always explain the history of the franchise linked to the characters, except for Joker. For Joker he did a character presentation without talking about Persona. While you might say that he did that because at thet time he didn't had the idea of doing these big presentation, perhaps he didn't do it for Persona because of it's mature content and persona games have a lot of blood. I don,t see that going too well i9n a Smash presentation for everyone.

So maybe, the reason why our next fighter is not getting an extended presentation is because it's coming from a Mature franchise? Like I said it's a bit of a stretch because maybe they're just going to do his big presentation later. But I think that might be a possibility of why we're getting a shorter presentation.
This is where Ryu Hayabusa comes in play given Tecmo's relationship with Nintendo.

D

Deleted member

Ok so in the first pass, Sakurai always explain the history of the franchise linked to the characters, except for Joker. For Joker he did a character presentation without talking about Persona. While you might say that he did that because at the time he didn't had the idea of doing these big presentation, perhaps he didn't do it for Persona because of it's mature content and persona games have a lot of blood. I don,t see that going too well in a Smash presentation for everyone.

Remembers Deadly Premonition is Rated M

Here's how Francis York Morgan can still win.

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
I do wonder if Smol Battlefield was a pre-emptive apology gift.

One that hasn't even been received as the comp community apparently married Pokemon Stadium 2.
Not sure what you're talking about, lots of online tourneys have been using Small Battlefield. Mew2King's Frame Perfect Series is probably the best example of this. When locals can safely return I'm certain it'll be legal in most if not all regions.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
You have a point there.

At the same time, I don't think Doug Bowser or Trinen would show up. Smash related stuff has been always presented with Sakurai for quite a good time, so I don't think it's that far fetched for Nintendo to just ask him to record a video for the western audience, if his brief message is really exclusive of the western livestream
Even if they did, I doubt they wouldn't show it on the Japanese livestream. Or at least, I can't imagine why they would. Certainly, any disparity wouldn't be due to the character itself. We're talking about the guy who explained Dragon Quest to Japan, Banjo-Kazooie to the West, and Fire Emblem to Smash fans. I can't imagine them skipping Sakurai's explanation in Japan even if the character is very well known over there. If there is indeed a regional difference, the reason is another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom