• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
If they're gonna go through the trouble of adding an AT character for the heck of it, I'd prefer they add someone the fans have been asking for a while: Waluigi, Isaac, and a few others.

Alucard is fine, but not now. It wouldn't sit with me right if something as big as the Sonic series is still stuck with only its mascot character after three Smash games when Castlevania, a franchise that's been mostly dormant, makes its debut in this game and is spontaneously awarded three characters.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
If they're gonna go through the trouble of adding an AT character for the heck of it, I'd prefer they add someone the fans have been asking for a while: Waluigi, Isaac, and a few others.

Alucard is fine, but not now. It wouldn't sit with me right if something as big as the Sonic series is still stuck with only its mascot character after three Smash games when Castlevania, a franchise that's been mostly dormant, makes its debut in this game and is spontaneously awarded three characters.
I used Alucard for my example because we know for a fact he was strongly considered to be playable, which is surprisingly rare for ATs, he was rejected as Sakurai felt it was wrong to add CV but not have a Belmont as it'd be like Peach being the first Mario character

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Like, besides having these sort of ads for not only this but even promotions for in-game content and such, many of them have cafes, you can pick up your mail and shipments here, pay loans, bills, and wire money, send your own packages with in-store mailing delivery systems, free wifi, purchase microwaveable squid ink pasta, sushi, and fried pork cutlet on rice, order movie and event tickets, and even a place to charge your phone while you shop. So it doesn’t surprise me at all that 7-11 does these ads for Smash. 7-11 was where I purchased my digital copy of Smash, New Horizons, SwSh, and both volume passes. I also want to mention that both of these stores are in the countryside and nothing like Tokyo. All there is around it is bamboo forests, rice fields, apple orchards, and bears lol
So you're telling me that the convenience stores in Japan are not only cheapo snack stores, but they're also Starbucks, UPS, Gamestop, a delivery service, and a general bank for everyone (which doesn't even exist in the U.S. to my knowledge), and that's just what you can find out in the boonies?

Wat?

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
So you're telling me that the convenience stores in Japan are not only cheapo snack stores, but they're also Starbucks, UPS, Gamestop, a delivery service, and a general bank for everyone (which doesn't even exist in the U.S. to my knowledge), and that's just what you can find out in the boonies?

Wat?
I got a ticket for using my phone while driving and had to pay $70. I paid for my ticket at the convenience store.

To be on topic, Smash Bros.

I hope we get news soon.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I have never left my country before, and I really want to, because of all of the news and stuff.

All of you have such interesting stories. For example, in Japan, you can really get more into gaming and anime.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I really want Alucard in Smash 6 along with Geese Horward or Nakoruru, Zero, Waluigi, and Sephiroth.

I stopped by another convenience store, Lawson (which is originally from my home state of Ohio) to check its display. Here’s the difference between the 7-11 display and another convenience store display:

I also read someone disparinging that our leads for Smash news is dependent on an ad in a convenience store. Conbini’s (convenience stores) is Japan are actually pretty amazing. Like, besides having these sort of ads for not only this but even promotions for in-game content and such, many of them have cafes, you can pick up your mail and shipments here, pay loans, bills, and wire money, send your own packages with in-store mailing delivery systems, free wifi, purchase microwaveable squid ink pasta, sushi, and fried pork cutlet on rice, order movie and event tickets, and even a place to charge your phone while you shop. So it doesn’t surprise me at all that 7-11 does these ads for Smash. 7-11 was where I purchased my digital copy of Smash, New Horizons, SwSh, and both volume passes. I also want to mention that both of these stores are in the countryside and nothing like Tokyo. All there is around it is bamboo forests, rice fields, apple orchards, and bears lol

Ah, I didn’t notice this but the sign above it says that you can get 500 additional points for purchasing Mario 3D collection with a Ponta Card digitally. It ends October 4th, same as the Smash Ultimate display are 7 -11.
Personally I find using the convenience store ads as talking points more interesting than going off the standard daily news talking points like Mario 35th, the new Kirby game, or Bethesda for example; not to discourage fans. Sometimes I think more planning goes into marketing and deadlines than picking out the actual characters themselves.

But yeah, 7-11 in Japan is definitely an experience. I almost regret preparing too far in advance and not taking more advantage of them while in Japan, though I did learn the joys of Pocky and onigiri.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Personally I find using the convenience store ads as talking points more interesting than going off the standard daily news talking points like Mario 35th, the new Kirby game, or Bethesda for example; not to discourage fans. Sometimes I think more planning goes into marketing and deadlines than picking out the actual characters themselves.

But yeah, 7-11 in Japan is definitely an experience. I almost regret preparing too far in advance and not taking more advantage of them while in Japan, though I did learn the joys of Pocky and onigiri.
I think we'd all be more than willing to do this more often

If it wasn't exclusively in Japan, which I'd wager most of us aren't in.

I'm pretty sure everyone has their eyes laser focused on the 7-11 ads right now, only backed up by the 9-12 missing News spots on the Smash notification website, all we can really do is wait.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Probably because by NOE time the shadow drop was at 3am. The social media guy was getting some sleep.
I mean, yeah, but usually these types of announcements are coordinated to happen everywhere at the same time. And for the record, they only just put out that announcement.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
if Axel got in what sega costumes would he come with
I got 4 right here that are from the original Streets of Rage 3.

1. White - Default
2. Pink - Player 2 alt
3. Yellow - Player 2 alt SoR 2/Default SoR 3 NA/Adam Hunter
4. Green - Player 2 alt SoR 3 NA

Axel alts.png

Edit: Whoops... didn't read that right. You meant mii costumes. Oh well I'm keeping this up anyway.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Yeesh, I always seem to miss the AT discussions when they happen. I generally just try and stick to whatever conversation is currently happening, but there is something I thought about regarding ATs that I feel like sharing, so screw it. It'll be more worthwhile than horny pokemon talk atleast...

So anyways, I see alot of people think that if a character gets assist trophied, that those characters must be ones that Sakurai or NIntendo had no interest in at all, or had no interest in making playable at all. I don't think I really agree that that is ever the ONLY reason a character gets AT'd, or that disinterest is the only reason for all ATs. I don't recall Sakurai ever really going in depth into why he makes characters ATs, or any particular characters AT either.

Perhaps there are characters that don't get screwed out of playable status because of disinterest, but perhaps some miss out due to prioritization? like, maybe there was a character that Sakurai did have on his radar that he did seriously consider, but unfortunately there were characters that outranked said At character in important or that Sakurai/Nintendo had more interest in, and due to time, budget, resources, etc. the AT'd character got...well...AT'd. I feel like Alucard could actually be a perfect example for what I'm talking about. IIRC, didn't Sakurai say at some point that he did consider or maybe want Alucard to be playable in Smash, but he ended up going for the Belmonts instead since they would be a better fit or would make more sense to represent Castlevania? If I'm remembering this correctly and didn't have some weird fever dream, I'd say that just because he went with the Belmonts, it doesn't mean that Sakurai suddenly had zero interest in Alucard or spontaneously thought he wouldn't be a good Smash character, some other characters just simply outprioritized or outranked Alucard in the end, leaving him with AT status.

To go further on thing, hypothetically what if one of said characters to lose out due to priority were actually pretty close to making it in or, pretty high up the proverbial priority list? Like, maybe there are ATs characters close to where Terry and Byleth were on this hypethetical list that may or may not be a thing. maybe FP2 will give these characters a spot to finally shine, unless some other characters ended up showing up between base game/FP1 and FP2, cutting in line and outranking said AT characters, leaving them to R.I.P in their snowglobe and yet again miss out on getting playable, which I realize could also be a possibility.

That's basically all I had. largely hypethetical or theoretical talk, but hey, that's speculation, and that said I don't think anything I said is necessarily impossible or outside the realm of possibility to maybe be a thing that happens within game development; for Smash or any sort of fighting game for that matter (there have been examples of assist characters getting playable status through DLC before in other fighting games even, though what those examples are I don't remember).

So it's for these reasons that when it comes to the AT issue, I firmly stand with team "Assist trophies could potentially be made into a playable fighter through FP2 I dunno we will see I guess."
people often forget that the newcomer lineups we get in smash games are only as much as they can squeeze in with the time they have and are very likely not every character they thought was worth adding

especially with ultimate. for all we know, someone like isaac actually could have been considered, but with how limited the unique newcomers were in the base game? between two absolutely massive requests, two modern nintendo superstars, a long-overdue third-party and the obligatory pokemon? yeah, they probably couldn't have been fit in. but like, that doesn't mean sakurai and his team think these characters are worthless trash or something

ZelDan

Smash Master
This is pretty much fake...
View attachment 286658
Not the worst fake leak I've seen, but still calling fake on it. SMG2 DLC and the dumb subtitle for BotW2 kind of killed it for me. And now that I think about it, has Rockstar done anything for Switch yet? I don't really see GTA coming to Switch but what do I know?

I will say "Switch it up" is a damn good subtitle for a Warioware game.

Shroob

Sup?
So pretty much:

Expect nothing today
"MAYBE" An announcement of the announcement on Friday, slated for Monday(Possible but unlikley)
Nothing over the weekend due to TGS

And then next week will have everyone on the edge of their seat.

Will the 7-11 ad pull through?
Will we find out what all those missing notifications are that week?

Tune in next time to find out, same time, same place, same channel

Possibly the cruelest outcome I can imagine, we go all week next week with nothing, and just when all hope is lost, they announce the announcement on the 2nd, with it dropping the 5th, the literal day after the ad expires rofl

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Bandana Dee definitely seems like the kind of Nintendo character that could be selected for this pass and would make sense.

This reminds me of how people used the DOJO to figure out Mr. G&W was coming back, based on the gaps in series icon numbering.

I know it seems crazy to think that he'd be cut nowadays, but with pre-Brawl there was no real precedent of how extensive cuts would be, and a lot of the Melee newcomers weren't overly popular.
Considering:ultmewtwo: of all characters got cut, people were right at that time to fear the possibility of :ultgnw: getting cut.

No fanbase is best represented by what happens after they're widely believed to be out of the running.

It's the same mistake as gauging demand post-deconfirmation, when people conclude that no AT characters are "really that popular". Well yeah, they've all been made ATs and their fanbases have subdued because of it.
Exactly, which is why you have to look at all the polls which third-parties dominate with an asterisk. Of course they would, all the big first-party request have been dis confirmed for at least the first pass, and expectation absolutely factors into fan-demand as much as people would like to pretend it doesn’t.

They can't just be Yiffy McYiffface, you gotta appeal to people outside the furry fandom too. Lopunny didn't get nearly the same amount of votes as Lucario for example.
Lucario’s real reason for doing well In terms of appeal is that he’s a kung fu jackal and thus have the “cool factor”. Combine that appeal with how much he has been promoted, and it makes sense he’d do well. Lopunny isn’t even as humanoid as a character like Lola Bunny and really is just a bunny for the most part, so she wouldn’t stand out as much.

But really, it’s not as if a single decently mainstream prominently featuring animals has ever owned much of its success to furries.

Man I just saw y'all debate ATs again and I must say, it's surprising seeing how many people insist that because Sakurai never explicitly mentioned Spring Man was out as an AT that ATs all still have a shot. I'd just roll my eyes but seeing how aggressive people stick to that point tells me that they'd say DMC4 and DMC5 are bad because Nero's mother doesn't get a detailed backstory, which is ironic as Nintendo shadowdrops the spinoff of a franchise that adores to give off significantly deeper implications than what's outright said. Seriously, Kirby being an eldritch god is ****ing canon as of Star Allies
This comment has a chance of ageing really badly. Also that analogy is terrible. People who believe ATs have a shot aren’t comparable to people criticising DMC4 and 5 for random reasons. You cannot even come up with a good reason why ATs cannot have a chance of being reconsidered and upgraded for this pass (non-playable spirits are more integral to this game than ATs and yet..)

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Bandana Dee definitely seems like the kind of Nintendo character that could be selected for this pass and would make sense.

Considering:ultmewtwo: of all characters got cut, people were right at that time to fear the possibility of :ultgnw: getting cut.

Exactly, which is why you have to look at all the polls which third-parties dominate with an asterisk. Of course they would, all the big first-party request have been dis confirmed for at least the first pass, and expectation absolutely factors into fan-demand as much as people would like to pretend it doesn’t.

Lucario’s real reason for doing well In terms of appeal is that he’s a kung fu jackal and this have the “cool factor”. Combine that appeal with how much he has been promoted, and it makes sense he’d do well. Lopunny isn’t even as humanoid as a character like Lola Bunny and really is just a bunny for the most part, so she wouldn’t stand out as much.

But really, it’s not as if a single decently mainstream prominently featuring animals has ever owned much of its success to furries.

This comment has a chance of ageing really badly. Also that analogy is terrible. People who believe ATs have a shot aren’t comparable to people criticising DMC4 and 5 for random reasons. You cannot even come up with a good reason why ATs cannot have a chance of being reconsidered and upgraded for this pass (non-playable spirits are more integral to this game than ATs and yet..)
I feel like the longer and longer we go without an AT promotion, the worse and worse the outlook gets for them.

Say, the next 2 characters, CP7 and 8 aren't AT promotions. Sure, you got 3 characters left, but it's getting VERY close to the wire, and while it can still happen, I think people would be justified in starting to doubt around that time.

And then there's the situation where, let's say that CP11 is an Assist upgrade... Congrats, Assists don't deconfirm anymore.... that'll be useful in 5-6 years when the next Smash game comes out, but the DLC's done now so it really doesn't matter in the immediate future. CP11 being an Assist would be the ultimate Monkey's Paw. "Assists don't deconfirm... but it doesn't matter because there's no more DLC."

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I feel like the longer and longer we go without an AT promotion, the worse and worse the outlook gets for them.

Say, the next 2 characters, CP7 and 8 aren't AT promotions. Sure, you got 3 characters left, but it's getting VERY close to the wire, and while it can still happen, I think people would be justified in starting to doubt around that time.

And then there's the situation where, let's say that CP11 is an Assist upgrade... Congrats, Assists don't deconfirm anymore.... that'll be useful in 5-6 years when the next Smash game comes out, but the DLC's done now so it really doesn't matter in the immediate future.
I agree that if one of the next two aren’t ATs, things won’t be looking good for that prospect, however since we only have one character confirmed for this pass (and a spirit upgrade at that) so far, it’s too early to be pessimistic.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
And now that I think about it, has Rockstar done anything for Switch yet? I don't really see GTA coming to Switch but what do I know?
They released L.A. Noire on Switch... and as far as I know that's basically it.

As for Grand Theft Auto, they technically should be able to port over V (it was initially a PS3 and 360 title, so at least that initial version should be able to run on the Switch), and if that still isn't an option, there's always the earlier games like Vice City, San Andreas, and GTA IV.

D

Deleted member

It feels like it has only been a year or so since that Ultimate reveal trailer where Inkling was confirmed.

Now, we are approaching CP7. Time flies fast, doesn't it?

Shroob

Sup?
I agree that if one of the next two aren’t ATs, things won’t be looking good for that prospect, however since we only have one character confirmed for this pass (and a spirit upgrade at that) so far, it’s too early to be pessimistic.
I think skepticism is very different than pessimism.

When people say "I don't think we're getting AT upgrades", I seriously doubt anyone dislikes the idea of it happening, since, hey, we all have a character we like who's effectively a glorified item.

It's that there's no precedence. Minmin is a start, but we're still not quite there yet, and if the next couple of characters don't buck that trend, it's not going to look good.

And then my point from earlier. Let's say CP11 is a Assist upgrade... at that point does it even matter? Cool, Assists don't deconfirm, but the DLC is done so big deal lmao.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
And then my point from earlier. Let's say CP11 is a Assist upgrade... at that point does it even matter? Cool, Assists don't deconfirm, but the DLC is done so big deal lmao.
Honestly... yeah, it would matter. Even if it doesn't happen until the very end, at least this endless arguing and debating over Assist Trophies would finally come to an end for good. From that point on, Assist Trophies will no longer be a hard deconfirmation for any Smash game going forward.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Honestly... yeah, it would matter. Even if it doesn't happen until the very end, at least this endless arguing and debating over Assist Trophies would finally come to an end for good.
I mean, at that point, the DLC is done, there's nothing to debate anymore. Sure, Assists don't deconfirm, but it doesn't matter because no one else is coming.

It'll be useful info for the future, but for all we know, the next Smash game will be several years down the line so.... yay?

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
I mean, at that point, the DLC is done, there's nothing to debate anymore. Sure, Assists don't deconfirm, but it doesn't matter because no one else is coming.

It'll be useful info for the future, but for all we know, the next Smash game will be several years down the line so.... yay?
Would you want to keep arguing about whether or not Assist Trophies are hard deconfirmations when the next Smash game comes around?

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I've been looking at all the franchises included in Smash, and you know which one's future worries me the most? Kid Icarus. The status of that series is up in the air. Sakurai could go back to it, but he might not. He's been very preoccupied with Smash for almost a decade. Maybe after Ultimate. But otherwise, Kid Icarus could wind up having the same fate as F-Zero if nobody steps up.

Same goes for Punch Out!! (I have to add the exclamation points or it bothers me). I'm sure this franchise will come back at some point in one form or another, but it had no games between the SNES and Wii (a whopping 15 year hiatus)...

Wait a minute. Punch Out!! was on hiatus for 15 years... can you believe Mother 3 will be 15 years old in one year. Time really flies, and now I feel old.
Kid Icarus is odd since Uprising did well with 1.35 million copies sold. You think they’d want to do a sequel to that.

Shroob

Sup?
Would you want to keep arguing about whether or not Assist Trophies are hard deconfirmations when the next Smash game comes around?
I'm not even going to be here when the next Smash game comes around, I'll probably be in my mid 30's by that point.

Hell, considering how massive Ultimate is right now, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the next Smash game looks completely different from what we have.

Yeah, this info is great for the future, but it's completely irrelevant for the present. Like, cool, Fighter 11 is an Assist upgrade. Assist Trophies don't deconfirm... except it legitimately doesn't matter for this game because the DLC is done and over with now. It'll help us in the future... but that could be literal years from now. There won't be anything 'to' debate anymore once the DLC is done because the DLC is....done. I dunno about you, but I'm not going to spend my time making hypothetical rosters for Ultimate's successor when it's such a daunting idea in the first place, let alone it probably being years away.

Minmin is a way bigger deal atm because she signifies that, at the very least base game spirits can be upgraded, and because she's the first character, that gives hope to a lot of other characters by proxy, jury's still out on dlc spirits and paid Mii costumes.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Assuming that there is another Smash that will come within the next five or so years, it wouldn't surprise me if they devoted a larger team/resources for DLC in it, especially given the strong sales of FP1 and (I'm assuming) FP2. There will still be strong base game content, but its hard to imagine the relative success of Ultimate's paid content hasn't left some impression on Nintendo.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Assuming that there is another Smash that will come within the next five or so years, it wouldn't surprise me if they devoted a larger team/resources for DLC in it, especially given the strong sales of FP1 and (I'm assuming) FP2. There will still be strong base game content, but its hard to imagine the relative success of Ultimate's paid content hasn't left some impression on Nintendo.
Assuming we get cuts in the next game, I wonder if they will have a separate team dedicated on bringing back some of the missing veterans if that's the case?

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
Since the topic of dormant franchises got brought up, here's a huge hot take: most of Nintendo's dormant/ dead series either make sense being in their state, or they outright deserved it.

Except Wario Land. F-Zero should also be brought back from the dead, but I can at least see why it's in the state it's in. Wario Land though, I can't see why they just stopped that one.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
if Axel got in what sega costumes would he come with
-Blaze as a Brawler (Streets of rage)
-Beat as a Brawler (Jet set radio)
-Ulala as a gunner (Space Chanel 5)
-Gilius Thunderhead as a Swordfighter (Golden axe)
-Robo as a gunner (Bonanza bros). This one would be similar to Vault Boy, a full costume where you don't see the face of the mii.
-Billy Hatcher as a Brawler

Honorable mentions:
-Ryo Hazuki from Shenmue and Kiryu from Yakuza could work for Brawler, but I feel like their design are too simple for having a mii costume.
-Arle from Puyo puyo could be a Brawler, the problem is I can't imagine her brawl and she don't use a sword or a gun.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Since the topic of dormant franchises got brought up, here's a huge hot take: most of Nintendo's dormant/ dead series either make sense being in their state, or they outright deserved it.

Except Wario Land. F-Zero should also be brought back from the dead, but I can at least see why it's in the state it's in. Wario Land though, I can't see why they just stopped that one.
I think many of the dormant franchises could easily be revived if developed as more modest titles that could thrive in the more digital release market. You don't necessarily need a triple A Advance Wars game, but there is a fandom for it that would be willing to buy a solid new entry to it.

Star Fox could easily be made into a large scale open world space game or a more scaled back, less expensive arcade shooter if there was actual focus on developing the core mechanics and not excess experimentation to solve problems that didn't exist to begin with.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom