• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staarih

Smash Master
My only disappointment is the absence of Bayo 3 and BD2. No TWEWY2 either but my expectations were low for that. They may save it for something... else...
Seeing how recurring these Partner Showcases seem to be, it probably won't be long until we get one again and who knows what it'll reveal. Today's one was quite packed imo. I do think we'll hear about BD2 sooner rather than later, I think it's still slated for 2020...

Also, yeah, a big game can be big, pushed and promoted without any ties to Smash. Talking about MonHun here, obviously.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
You're wrong.

You don't know much about how Sakurai, Nintendo, nor Capcom work.

Devil May Cry and Ace Attorney exist, and they are strong series too. Other Capcom series that Capcom is interested in exists too.
I know that Devil May Cry and Phoenix Wright exist, but given the current circumstances, I think that Monster Hunter is far and away the most appealing pick to Nintendo right now to the point where I'm not sure they'd pick the other two. I do recognize that it's still feasible that they'd pick Devil May Cry, but I kind of doubt it at this point.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
It's always "Monster Hunter" this, "Ace Attorney" that, "Devil May Cry" this...

Idk I think the community's been sleeping on one of the most iconic Capcom characters for the longest time
Yo_Noid_cover.jpg

Come to me in 2022 when this dude be rolling up tourneys like it's pizza dough :4pacman:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I know that Devil May Cry and Phoenix Wright exist, but given the current circumstances, I think that Monster Hunter is far and away the most appealing pick to Nintendo right now to the point where I'm not sure they'd pick the other two. I do recognize that it's still feasible that they'd pick Devil May Cry, but I kind of doubt it at this point.
They could easily make a new Ace Attorney game for the Switch and advertise it.

Remember, Sakurai said that he doesn't just choose characters because of popularity.

Sure, Monster Hunter is being promoted heavily, and that gives them a nice chance, but they don't put a shadow over Dante or Phoenix Wright.

Both Dante and Phoenix Wright have strong things going for them. It is quite difficult to predict Smash characters too. Who would have expected ARMS before an ARMS character was revealed to be the next fighter?

Last edited by a moderator:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Honestly, a 9/10 Direct for me. Empire of Sin and the sniper game were the only meh games for me.

- Monster Hunter Rise looks sick. I've been wanting to get more and more into Monster Hunter (I've played some of one of the 3DS ones, but I need to play more), so this looks super hype. I ADORE the aesthetic as well, the game looks beautiful! Really looking forward to trying this one out someday.

- Monster Hunter Stories 2 is super cool! I wanna check out the first one at some point. The art style gives me major BotW vibes and looks super pretty.

- Disgaea looks fun. Probably won't ever have the time for it, but hey, maybe someday.

- RUNE FACTORY 5 LOOKS AMAZING. Super excited for this, it's a series I really want to get into, and this new one looks super promising!

- Ori is super cool, but with how pretty the game is, I personally would probably prefer it on the PC.

Those are my thoughts. As I said above, super solid presentation; I hope all their Partner Presentations are like this in the future, it had a very nice flow to it.

Munchi

Smash Journeyman
True prinnys would be more mascoty but i feel they would work better as part of someones move, stage hazards, or a new item added. Throw them to make them explode
I agree, I just wanted to say that as for disgaea's mascot, the prinnys are in my opinion the mascot

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I actually doubt this point in particular. I don't think we'll get a new Ace Attorney.....for a while. Yamazaki has recently left Capcom and he's been the director of the series for over a decade now. A similair thing happened after Takumi stopped directing the series after Apollo's Justice, a six year long hiatus happened for the mainline series. It'll take a while until we see a new Ace Attorney game imo.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Honestly given the sheer current and growing popularity of MH, it might be one of those franchises that's considered as not really needing Smash promotion (beyond bringing back the Rathalos and Hunter costumes back). Especially in Japan, thinking you need highlight MH to them would be like saying Nintendo might need promote Waluigi to playable in Smash to help promote Mario Kart in the US.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
You know what I'd love Marvel to work with Capcom to make a She Hulk game in the vein of the Phoenix Wright games. Jennifer in court sessions would be like Ace Attorney, but you'd have little bits of superhero bits in between the court appearances leading up to new evidence being found for the case.

With them bringing her to the MCU soon? Do it, Marvel. Do it.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

Remember, Sakurai said that he doesn't just choose characters because of popularity.

Sure, Monster Hunter is being promoted heavily, and that gives them a nice chance, but they don't put a shadow over Dante or Phoenix Wright.

Both Dante and Phoenix Wright have strong things going for them. It is quite difficult to predict Smash characters too. Who would have expected ARMS before an ARMS character was revealed to be the next fighter?
Monster Hunter: Has shiny new games on the Switch that are big enough for Nintendo to promote them harder than other 3rd party titles.
Devil May Cry: Has some ports on the Switch, but their big game is on everything but the Switch.
Phoenix Wright: Has just a collection on the Switch and it's a smaller series to boot.

Given current information, I'd say that's a pretty big shadow on the latter two. I'm not saying they're impossible, but I do think it would be correct to say that they're unlikely.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Honestly given the sheer current and growing popularity of MH, it might be one of those franchises that's considered as not really needing Smash promotion (beyond bringing back the Rathalos and Hunter costumes back). Especially in Japan, thinking you need highlight MH to them would be like saying Nintendo might need promote Waluigi to playable in Smash to help promote Mario Kart in the US.
People are way too into the whole, "Nintendo can promote this character!".

I would say the only promotional characters for Smash DLC are :ultbylethf: and :ultminmin, and I'm barely confident in Min Min being a promotional pick.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I don't really get this argument. Why would there be some sort of series size threshold that causes Nintendo to suddenly ignore them in Super Smash Bros. if they're too big?

EDIT: This applies to all series, not just Monster Hunter.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I actually doubt this point in particular. I don't think we'll get a new Ace Attorney.....for a while. Yamazaki has recently left Capcom and he's been the director of the series for over a decade now. A similair thing happened after Takumi stopped directing the series after Apollo's Justice, a six year long hiatus happened for the mainline series. It'll take a while until we see a new Ace Attorney game imo.
At the very least, port AAI2 and AA0 (the one set in 1800s Japan) and localize them

and for the latter don’t try to change that it’s in Japan, just emphasize that he’s still Phoenix’s ancestor but I guess alter the ending that Ryuichi’s son or grandson moved to America and how it led to Phoenix

idk I just wanna see it localized already

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Byleth doesn't have barrel bombs, so no, they didn't take Hunter's gimmicks.

And that "laser tether" doesn't need to latch on to things for the Hunter to actually tether, so that would actually be the most unique tether, since missing the ledge would still give you a traditional recovery jump
Honestly, the Wirebug is closer to the Ice Climber's recovery more than anything.
The Monster Hunter push is definitely giving me flashbacks of the push for Dragon Quest XI.

The only thing that gives me pause about MonHun in Smash is that these games were probably in development when the MonHun base game content was decided. So why not include a MonHun on the base roster or FP1 if they wanted to use Smash to push those games?

I think these new games definitely raise MonHun’s chances but I won’t say it’s 100% going to happen just yet.
If they were in development back then, they probably wouldn't be very far in. Without COVID, we'd probably be seeing Rise at some point this year, probably around where we are now if I were to guess. Seeing as the one 2020 slot in FP1 was reserved for "Someone from a game people were playing at that time," which turned out to be Byleth, somewhere in FP2 would be the only spots far enough along to properly promote the new games.

MooMew64

Honestly given the sheer growing popularity of MH, it might be one of those franchises that's considered as not really needing Smash promotion (beyond bringing back the Rathalos and Hunter costumes back). Especially in Japan, thinking you need shill MH to them would be like saying Nintendo might need promoted Waluigi to playable in Smash to help promote Mario Kart in the US.
Not every Smash character is done specifically to boost a franchise's popularity, though. In my opinion, there's profitability in capitalizing on franchises that are already popular as well as franchises that are more niche.

Different Smash additions are done for different reasons in my eyes. All are promotional in some form, but serve other secondary purposes: Sometimes it's because Nintendo and a 3rd party partner wish to get a franchise in the eyes of more people, sometimes it's to better business relationships, and sometimes it's to capitalize on an already successful title that you know will get attention and bring even more eyes that are already on it, well, on it. This extends to both Smash and the game it's including a character from, which is a win for both parties involved in my book.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
People are way too into the whole, "Nintendo can promote this character!".

I would say the only promotional characters for Smash DLC are :ultbylethf: and :ultminmin, and I'm barely confident in Min Min being a promotional pick.
I think that 1st parties are limited to promotional picks, but 3rd parties have a bit more wiggle room. That being said, Nintendo's still probably going to pick the characters that benefit them most, and right now that's absolutely Monster Hunter in terms of Capcom fighters.

D

Deleted member

Monster Hunter: Has shiny new games on the Switch that are big enough for Nintendo to promote them harder than other 3rd party titles.
Devil May Cry: Has some ports on the Switch, but their big game is on everything but the Switch.
Phoenix Wright: Has just a collection on the Switch and it's a smaller series to boot.

Given current information, I'd say that's a pretty big shadow on the latter two. I'm not saying they're impossible, but I do think it would be correct to say that they're unlikely.
:ult_terry:, :ultjoker:, and :ultbanjokazooie: would like to have a word.

Picking DLC isn't just about promotion or relevancy. Smash Bros isn't a huge billboard advertisement.

Monster Hunter is likely, yes. The promotion of Monster Hunter helps their chances. However, I would not count Phoenix Wright and Dante out if Monster Hunter ends up being a spirit.

kylexv

Smash Master
So we've gotten a Nintendo announcement every week this month:

First Week: Mario 35th direct and Mario 3D All Stars announcement
Second Week: Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity
Third Week (this week): Partner Showcase and Mario 3D All Stars release
Fourth Week: ???

Smash reveal next week anyone?

SharkLord

Smash Hero
:ulthero:'s game was from a truly legendary franchise, and they still promoted the new release. It would be more of an equal partnership than one promoting the other. Monster Hunter fans get the pack, and Smash fans get into Monster Hunter from the pack.

If that new teaser's any indication, it could also be Crown Tundra. My guess places the next reveal around the end of September/Beginning of October range anyways. Still, we should be getting something soon.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Not every Smash character is done specifically to boost a franchise's popularity, though. In my opinion, there's profitability in capitalizing on franchises that are already popular as well as franchises that are more niche.

Different Smash additions are done for different reasons in my eyes. All are promotional in some form, but serve other secondary purposes: Sometimes it's because Nintendo and a 3rd party partner wish to get a franchise in the eyes of more people, sometimes it's to better business relationships, and sometimes it's to capitalize on an already successful title that you know will get attention and bring even more eyes that are already on it, well, on it. This extends to both Smash and the game it's including a character from, which is a win for both parties involved in my book.
I completely agree; I'd say that the character being fun to play and one that will sell by itself (and offering appeal to the fighter's pass) are the primary significant factors in being chosen. I'm just saying that if a big motivation is "hey this will help promote a current or upcoming Switch game" that there are likely other series that would get a bigger benefit from a Smash appearance than an already mega popular IP like MH.

That doesn't discount Monter Hunter getting a fighter or that Nintendo/Sakurai haven't determined that the other two factors I mentioned earlier outweigh any other for the Hunter getting in. Simply that a Phoenix Wright or maybe even a Dante would likely getting a bigger boost to their games than MH would.

MooMew64

Next week is probably gonna be Crown Tundra info IMO. I think the following week looks super good, though, unless Nintendo decides to go silent again.

Please no Nintendo don't do that.

D

Deleted member

Idk I think the community's been sleeping on one of the most iconic Capcom characters for the longest time
View attachment 285924
Come to me in 2022 when this dude be rolling up tourneys like it's pizza dough :4pacman:
lol
A) That's Pizza Hut's character, not Capcom's. Capcom just had the rights to make a game
B) That character was discontinued because some paranoid nut in the 90's thought the Noid was all about him and sued Pizza Hut to stop them from using the character. We ain't ever seeing the Noid again; your Pizza is safe.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
lol
A) That's Pizza Hut's character, not Capcom's. Capcom just had the rights to make a game
B) That character was discontinued because some paranoid nut in the 90's thought the Noid was all about him and sued Pizza Hut to stop them from using the character. We ain't ever seeing the Noid again; your Pizza is safe.
I had the :4pacman: for a reason ya know

And it's Domino's, not Pizza Hut. Smh fake stan

Last edited:

MooMew64

View attachment 285924

Finally, a good Capcom rep.

Y'all ain't ready for The Noid.

cashregister9

Smash Hero

View attachment 285924
If we get a Domino's mascot we better be getting Hatsune Miku

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504

He also looks for fun movesets, and Hunter absolutely has the potential for that.

So basically, don't shut down Monster Hunter just because it's popular.

SKX31

Smash Master
Okay, so, full write up time (Now that the official PR is out):

• Monster Hunter Rise: I'll start off by saying that I have next-to-no experience with the MH franchise. Still though, they highlighted the changes they've made to the "standard Monster Hunter" formula if one can call it that - and that's a good thing. One of the main games of early 2021 for the Switch, no doubt.
  • Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin: Hey, another change-up in the formula, which is also welcome. I'm not sure if Monster Hunter as a franchise could survive annual "EA Sports"-esque releases. While obviously the "smaller" release of the two, it's evident that this is far from a shovelware title.
  • Ori and the Will of the Collector's Edition:

• Ever-quotable Ian McDiarmid aside, it's good to see this. Proves that Nintendo and Microsoft have continued their relationship, and a port like this does strenghen the Switch's library a bit. We'll just have to see if Nintendo and Microsoft cooperate further.
  • Fitness Boxing 2: Rhythm & Exercise: The first FB game did rather decently IIRC, so a sequel feels very much warranted. Plus, exercise games is an area that Nintendo should absolutely try to keep a consistent foothold in, so FB2 will likely help in that regard.
  • Disgaea 6: Defiance of Destiny: I'm a total n00b when it comes to Dis Gaia... Disgaea. But hey, this game might be a step in the right direction for the series, especially since it appears to have its own unique identity. I'm not so sure about the very limited-time offer on Disgaea 5 CE... but perhaps that's a trial run of sorts? The trial run could've been a bit longer IMHO.
  • Hades: God of War X Diablo vs. Kid Icarus nah, that doesn't appear to be happening here. Still, the guys behind Bastion making a dungeon crawler could be an interesting prospect.
  • Empire of Sin: Not going to appeal to everyone, but Gangster-era Chicago is rarely explored in a Nintendo game IIRC. Could also be decently interesting since the publisher (Paradox) is mostly known for making complicated Risk-style strategy games, while this reminds me more of XCOM.
  • Sniper Elite 4: While I've not heard about this series, it could stand out just by not being CoD / Battlefield / CS:GO. It certainly appears that the more methodological Sniper series has found its niche given that it's the apparently 4th game.
  • PGA Tour 2K21: While this looks to be standard Golf, it might actually get a decent audience by virtue of the sport itself having an appeal and the series itself apparently being decently recieved. In a much better place than WWE 2K, I can tell you that much. Also, Nintendo has not been paying attention to Golf themselves that much, so this might help fill the void a bit.
  • The Long Dark: Didn't strike me personally as something super-special, but that might just be me still vividly recalling RE 8's presentation yesterday. But hey, it helps cover the survival-horror genre, which is positive.
  • Balan Wonderland: Both surprised and not surprised that Yuji Naka's project is coming to the Switch. On one hand, Xbox made a pretty big deal out of this when they initially revealed it... OTOH, Microsoft's motto as of late has been "we don't care which device you choose to play our games on" so they'd likely be open to Naka seeking a Switch port too. Still a good get for the Switch given its identity.
  • Rune Factory 5: Have no clue about this series, but hey, evidently it has a fanbase. And hey, a life simulation series is another genre that is a good fit on the Switch - RF5 can certainly complement AC and SoS in this regard.
Overall the strongest Partners' Showcase so far, and a step in the right direction. As said earlier, the three Partner Showcases will help complement Nintendo's own lineup (even if the first two - especially the first - have been a bit subpar), so the Switch is not hurting for games during this window.

Who knows, the Switch might be able to weather the initial PS5(DE) / XSX(S) window now. Only the Tundra with a Crown and the Pass of Fighters 7 remain.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

He also looks for fun movesets, and Hunter absolutely has the potential for that.

So basically, don't shut down Monster Hunter just because it's popular.
Read my post Uni.

I'm not "shutting down" Monster Hunter. I was responding to a post saying that if a Capcom rep was on the table, it would either be Monster Hunter or no character.

I acknowledge Monster Hunter has a nice shot right now, but I disagree with people sleeping on Dante and Phoenix Wright because of Monster Hunter.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
:ult_terry:, :ultjoker:, and :ultbanjokazooie: would like to have a word.

Picking DLC isn't just about promotion or relevancy. Smash Bros isn't a huge billboard advertisement.

Monster Hunter is likely, yes. The promotion of Monster Hunter helps their chances. However, I would not count Phoenix Wright and Dante out if Monster Hunter ends up being a spirit.
And I do think that this holds true for 3rd parties, but given the choice between a 3rd party that's going to give the Switch a ton of buzz and some 3rd parties that have nothing going on on the Switch right now and I don't think there's really a question of who they'd pick.

I think that, given the current information, if they're going to pick a Capcom character, it's gonna be for Monster Hunter, and if they didn't pick Monster Hunter, then we're getting characters from other companies instead.

D

Deleted member

And I do think that this holds true for 3rd parties, but given the choice between a 3rd party that's going to give the Switch a ton of buzz and some 3rd parties that have nothing going on on the Switch right now and I don't think there's really a question of who they'd pick.

I think that, given the current information, if they're going to pick a Capcom character, it's gonna be for Monster Hunter, and if they didn't pick Monster Hunter, then we're getting characters from other companies instead.
You keep on cycling back to, "Smash is an advertisement!".

Yes, Monster Hunter is iconic. It is quite popular, and it has a nice shot.

However, don't sleep on Dante or Phoenix Wright just because Monster Hunter exists. Getting Smash characters in isn't just about promotion.

And yes, the Monster Hunter has great moveset potential, but so does Phoenix Wright. I would say Monster Hunter is very likely, but don't say Phoenix Wright and Dante are deconfirmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom