• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Games👏Exist👏Outside👏Of👏Smash👏Bros.
Understandable. I think even if Monster Hunter isn't Playable in Smash, I think we would have gotten all the content we just did in Partner direct

With that being said, If Nintendo is Pushing Monster Hunter this hard, and They also had a Hand in Choosing FP2, there's a likely chance that Hunter has alot of cards in it's deck. Keep in mind, Monster Hunter World Came out after Base Roster was decided, and I assume Most, if not all of FP1 were decided. Until then Monster Hunter has been a Japanese Oriented Franchise

With World, The Series now has a lot of Popularity in the West as well. The fact they are advertising the Monster Hunter Direct in the West when they only aired it in Japanese Directs before shows this fact. To be honest, Besides Crash and Sora, Hunter would probably be the biggest character That appeals on East and West. It's something to consider.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Show's over folks. How we feeling?

Overwhelmed? Whelmed? Underwhelmed? Like/loved it? Meh? Boooooo?
Honestly pretty good. They actually made an attempt this time around, and Monster Hunter Rise looks like a solid installment already. It also looks a fair bit more accessible than Generations Ultimate, but I can't say for sure yet. At the very least I don't have to deal with loading screens anymore.

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
Likely because they're not compatible with the game.
I... don't really think that has anything to do with it. iirc, the BOTW Champion are compatible with Smash due to spirits, and they're getting a restock seperate from the latest Smash amiibo wave.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Show's over folks. How we feeling?

Overwhelmed? Whelmed? Underwhelmed? Like/loved it? Meh? Boooooo?
It had Rune Factory 5 so i'm more than satisfied. This was easily the best partner direct

EDIT: Shin Megami Tensei 5 and Nocturne were hype announcements but I could not name a single other game from that first direct

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
The vibe I got from the Direct today was that there’s quite a few positives for Monster Hunter x Smash, and I would totally be down!

Granted, my most wanted is Dante. But Monster Hunter looks really great and to be honest, just kinda... gave off the vibe of “yeah, we’re pushing this”.

If I had to boil down the picks for Capcom in DLC right now, I’d probably say it’s between Monster Hunter and Devil May Cry. Ace Attorney is there, and is another great series (I recommend it), but I’m not sure if it’ll make the jump to Smash with Phoenix as a playable character.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
It's clear at this point. Monster Hunter will be our next fighter.

Why give it this much attention? So technically speaking we got our next character revealed so I'm satisfied knowing who it is now. Now onto speculating FP8.
Because World is the best-selling Capcom game ever and the company wants to double down on this money-making franchise?

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
The one thing I'm iffy on regarding Monster Hunter and Smash is that Rathalos already does a pretty good job representing the series, all things considered.

It's all about the monsters. I'm assuming this is also why the dev team was so hesitant on adding a Hunter to to the VS series for the longest time prior to Infinite .

Don't get me wrong it could still happen, but I'm honestly not feeling it rn
Yeah it's like I said last time it came up, Monster Hunter is in a decent position in terms of content for a franchise currently without a fighter.
But there's also still a ton they could add so really they're a 50/50 for me.

Maybe the announcements today will get the "Byleth took The Hunter's gimmick" clowns to actually look into the series though.
Or not, it's the Smash fanbase after all.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
The end of the Showcase actually had me smiling rather than baffled or bored, so that alone tells me it was a real improvement over the previous two. Something that also helps is that we've gotten some significant first party news in the last month so this video could actually be viewed with a much cleaner slate than the one in August or July (the latter of which came in the nadir of the Nintendo news drought).

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
The best partner showcase so far. Hands down. 2 Monster Hunter games and Ori 2 alone are hype. Disgaea looks interesting. I will try out the free trial. It's good to know that Sniper Elite 4 is coming to Switch, although I already have it on Xbox One so I don't think I will be picking it up. I might pick up Hades, that looks fun. Overall, really solid Direct.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
The one thing I'm iffy on regarding Monster Hunter and Smash is that Rathalos already does a pretty good job representing the series, all things considered.

It's all about the monsters. I'm assuming this is also why the dev team was so hesitant on adding a Hunter to to the VS series for the longest time prior to Infinite .

Don't get me wrong it could still happen, but I'm honestly not feeling it rn
No offense but this argument is giving me strong "Metroid is about the atmosphere" vibes which was used to argue against Ridley's inclusion. Yes, monsters play a big role in the series, but this doesn't mean that the playable Hunter in the series isn't any less important. There's a reason why a lot of people discuss which weapons and mechanics get added to a new Monster Hunter game. Even if the Hunter is an avatar character, the only way to represent these weapons and gameplay mechanics is through him/her.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Yeah it's like I said last time it came up, Monster Hunter is in a decent position in terms of content for a franchise currently without a fighter.
But there's also still a ton they could add so really they're a 50/50 for me.

Maybe the announcements today will get the "Byleth took The Hunter's gimmick" clowns to actually look into the series though.
Or not, it's the Smash fanbase after all.
Being honest, The fact that the Hunter did that Laser Tether thing actually makes me more worried that Byleth took Hunter's Gimmick, Cause I didn't know Hunter had that.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Being honest, The fact that the Hunter did that Laser Tether thing actually makes me more worried that Byleth took Hunter's Gimmick, Cause I didn't know Hunter had that.
Byleth doesn't have barrel bombs, so no, they didn't take Hunter's gimmicks.

And that "laser tether" doesn't need to latch on to things for the Hunter to actually tether, so that would actually be the most unique tether, since missing the ledge would still give you a traditional recovery jump

Last edited:

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
This argument has been debunked so many times, can we stop bringing it up? The Hunter characters have so much more weapons than a sword, axe, spear, bow and whip.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
The vibe I got from the Direct today was that there’s quite a few positives for Monster Hunter x Smash, and I would totally be down!

Granted, my most wanted is Dante. But Monster Hunter looks really great and to be honest, just kinda... gave off the vibe of “yeah, we’re pushing this”.

If I had to boil down the picks for Capcom in DLC right now, I’d probably say it’s between Monster Hunter and Devil May Cry. Ace Attorney is there, and is another great series (I recommend it), but I’m not sure if it’ll make the jump to Smash with Phoenix as a playable character.
Yeah, it kind of seems like the hierarchy goes:
  • Monster Hunter-Huge series that has a new game on the Nintendo Switch.
  • Devil May Cry-Huge series that is sticking with the Playstation for its new game.
  • Phoenix Wright-Smaller series. Not sure what it's doing right now.
  • Darkstalkers-Dead, but beloved series that's still in the public eye because Morrigan.
  • Ghosts n' Goblins-Dead, but classic series with a good bit of legacy.
  • Pretty much anything else-We won't be seeing anything from this category for a long time if at all.

D

Deleted member

Monster Hunter went into the Fire Emblem universe and dressed up as an anime character and they became the avatar for Three Houses because of their look.

That means Monster Hunter is deconfirmed. ;-;

Phoenixio

Smash Apprentice
Hades is an incredible game, I highly suggest it to anybody who likes rogue-like games. Tons of content, very good gameplay, amazing replayability, and I say that having played the alpha, so I can only imagine the full release will be even better.

Not a lot of Smash potential, but I'm looking forward to Empire of Sin as well.

Ori is also a much welcomed addition, I'm looking forward to seeing the game. I hope it'll come in physical version. And he'd definitely be an interesting Smash character.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Ok now this was easily the best partner showcase by far. So many excellent games and announcments. Monster hunter rise and stories 2, disgaea 6, rune factory 5, ori dropping today, more wonderworld info.

They really saved the best for this for sure.

And god i have been wishing for disgaea rep in smash for ages. Laharl makes sense... but i would love Asagi, as the mascot of sort for the franchises of NIS

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
  • Devil May Cry-Huge series that is sticking with the Playstation for its new game.
  • Darkstalkers-Dead, but beloved series that's still in the public eye because Morrigan.
  • Pretty much anything else-We won't be seeing anything from this category for a long time if at all.
Amaterasu is way more likely than Arthur or Morrigan IMO.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I wouldn’t count Viewtiful Joe out. It has a cult following, and Kamiya even asked Sakurai about the titular character to which Sakurai basically said “uhhh...” could mean just a spirit event or Mii costume but I’d be surprised if it wasn’t represented in some form if not playable

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
So here's my overall thoughts...
  • Positives:
    • We ended up getting not one, but two brand new Monster Hunter games. Color me impressed.
    • An announcement for a new Disgaea game.
    • A Switch port of Sniper Elite 4. Could've done better, but not a bad choice.
    • A reminder that Hades is coming to Switch today.
    • Some more info on Balan Wonderworld and Rune Factory 5.
    • A Switch port of Ori and the Will of the Wisps. Honestly not that surprising to me after the first one came to Switch, but still a cool announcement.
    • The smaller games that people would call "shovelware" like Fitness Boxing 2 were kept to a somewhat minimum.
  • Negatives:
    • Only 15 minutes worth of content.
    • Still no news on Bayonetta 3, Doom Eternal, or Bravely Default II.
... well, not gonna lie, that was actually decent. Still some room for improvement here, and it's still no substitute for a regular Direct, but I'd be willing to call this an actual Direct. Certainly not a huge disappointment like the previous two, and I'll happily take the L over thinking it would suck. Now hopefully it's onto Smash news in the next two weeks...

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Byleth doesn't have barrel bombs
Or pitfall traps, or shock traps, or tranquillisers, or dual blades, or a greatsword or about a dozen other things.

Monster Hunter went into the Fire Emblem universe and dressed up as an anime character and they became the avatar for Three Houses because of their look.

Funny you say that

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
The Monster Hunter push is definitely giving me flashbacks of the push for Dragon Quest XI.

The only thing that gives me pause about MonHun in Smash is that these games were probably in development when the MonHun base game content was decided. So why not include a MonHun on the base roster or FP1 if they wanted to use Smash to push those games?

I think these new games definitely raise MonHun’s chances but I won’t say it’s 100% going to happen just yet.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
My only disappointment is the absence of Bayo 3 and BD2. No TWEWY2 either but my expectations were low for that. They may save it for something... else...

I mean...
Everyone in Three Houses runs around with weapons made of large bones, and you fight monsters.

I'm not saying they would play the same (because they wouldn't), but Byleth costume in Monster Hunter when?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Amaterasu is way more likely than Arthur or Morrigan IMO.
I disagree. Even if Devil May Cry and Monster Hunter weren't factors, I don't think they'd pick the character who's series was a commercial flop.

I wouldn’t count Viewtiful Joe out. It has a cult following, and Kamiya even asked Sakurai about the titular character to which Sakurai basically said “uhhh...” could mean just a spirit event or Mii costume but I’d be surprised if it wasn’t represented in some form if not playable
I see Viewtiful Joe and Amaterasu as being on the same level. Is that not the case?

I could see Amaterasu and Viewtiful Joe getting in as Spirits and Assist Trophies and stuff if they were to start treating Capcom characters like 1st party characters, but I highly doubt they'd otherwise make an appearance.

Munchi

Smash Journeyman
Ok now this was easily the best partner showcase by far. So many excellent games and announcments. Monster hunter rise and stories 2, disgaea 6, rune factory 5, ori dropping today, more wonderworld info.

They really saved the best for this for sure.

And god i have been wishing for disgaea rep in smash for ages. Laharl makes sense... but i would love Asagi, as the mascot of sort for the franchises of NIS

I would say the prinnys are the mascot

D

Deleted member

Monster Hunter has a pretty good shot for Smash Bros, but people are jumping to conclusions too quickly.

Just because they are heavily advertising it, that does not mean they are guaranteed for Smash.

Astral Chain, Resident Evil, and Ring Fit were iconic series on the Switch, and they got in as spirits.

Last edited by a moderator:

zumaddy

Smash Ace
As someone who mains Byleth and loves Monster Hunter, I can assure you all that you can have room in your hearts for both.

Anyways, that was by far and away the best Partner Direct, quality titles and release dates in a neat 15 minutes.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Monster Hunter has a pretty good shot for Smash Bros, but people are jumping to conclusions too quickly.

Just because they are heavily advertising it, that does not mean they are guaranteed for Smash.

Astral Chain, Resident Evil, and Ring Fit were iconic series on the Switch, and they got in as spirits.
You know, if Monster Hunter does get Spirits, I think it would be safe to say that there's at least a pretty good chance that we won't be getting a Capcom fighter in the pass at all.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Or pitfall traps, or shock traps, or tranquillisers, or dual blades, or a greatsword or about a dozen other things.
I could see greatsword function similarly to Amyr, since they both carry a ****ton of power and are slow.

Fully agree on everything else though, so there's definitely a lot of unique shenanigans for Monster Hunter.

All Byleth did was take the concept of a multi-weapon master, which is nowhere near unique to the Hunter.

D

Deleted member

You know, if Monster Hunter does get Spirits, I think it would be safe to say that there's at least a pretty good chance that we won't be getting a Capcom fighter in the pass at all.
You're wrong.

You don't know much about how Sakurai, Nintendo, nor Capcom work.

Devil May Cry and Ace Attorney exist, and they are strong series too. Other Capcom series that Capcom is interested in exists too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom