• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I’m still doubting we will get anything but the lack of a time frame plus it’s live-streamed shows that they probably some good stuff to show. So who knows. In before someone says that will reveal three characters and that they will all be heavy hitters in speculation lol

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
I’m still doubting we will get anything but the lack of a time frame plus it’s live-streamed shows that they probably some good stuff to show. So who knows. In before someone says that will reveal three characters and that they will all be heavy hitters in speculation lol
It's live streamed because they are porting Ult to the Xbox and Master Chief is joining the cast. That's the only thing that makes sense. :4pacman:

D

Deleted member

I wouldn't bet on anything Smash related, but it would be nice if we at least see some interesting reveals. Last couple of partner directs didn't really have anything to entice me, but each one has a chance of something cool.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Didn't expect to wake up with a Partner showcase today. Obviously I'm not expecting Smash but hopefully there will be some good surprises. I guess Monster hunter will be there, but that's not really my cup of tea. At least this announcement kills the theory that "Nintendo wil do nothing, Mario is coming Friday".

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
It's live streamed because they are porting Ult to the Xbox and Master Chief is joining the cast. That's the only thing that makes sense. :4pacman:
Smash on Game Pass when? :4dedede:

Also:

There was a problem fetching the tweet

And for anyone wondering, yes, SMG 2 got shafted by the Corporate Management Policy Briefing as well.

Edit: Additional details:

The Nintendo Account system has been rolled out in 164 countries - including some where Nintendo's consoles haven't been released. They also stated that the Nintendo Account system will be an "important foundantion for delivering our products and IP" (P. 35).

They talked about initiatives connected to the system, for example NSO and the Parental Controls. NSO in particular's branded as a "long-term connection to the Nintendo Switch Platform." (P. 41)

Nintendo restated their focus on uniqueness and careful crafting. With a key phrase being "Embody the Nintendo DNA for creating products". (P. 45)

The Digital Initiative's becoming a major priority - digital downloads account for roughly 50 % so far into the current fiscal year. (P. 50)

And lastly, they are working on the Switch's successor, and they'll try to continue offering "unique entertainment offerings." The Switch's at the middle of its lifecycle. (P. 53)

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Still banking on next week for the Smash announcement.

And hey, if it doesn't happen, I can always change my stance to the last option of the poll on top of the page. Maybe even something along the lines of "Fighters Pass 2 was never real, it was a collective hallucination, WAKE UP". :4pacman:

Also:

As for other regions... I'm not really that well-versed with LatAm / Brazil. 3BitSaurus 3BitSaurus is probably more knowledgeable than I on this region since he's Brazillian. Nintendo has - AFAIK - started to focus more on LatAm and Brazil recently, and Mexico in particular is a Smash hotspot. That country's home to a number of top level pros: MKLeo and Maister in particular.
So! Nintendo started losing popularity quite a bit in the period it had no official releases - mostly due to the products becoming more expensive and high amounts of piracy revolving around Sony's systems. When it comes to "generally" popular Nintendo games here in Brazil, we mostly stick to the usual - Mario and Zelda have large fanbases, but Pokémon and Smash are kinda notable because we get quite a few tournaments and organizations. We even have a Junior-class Pokémon TCG World Champion in Gustavo Wada (a few years back) and Rio's best Ultimate player did go to EVO 2019.

Outside of Nintendo, PC games are really popular. Shooters draw big crowds. I even remember seeing ads for Rainbow Six tournaments plastered in buses and bus stops. A few years back, we had a bunch of Brazilian players make it to the big leagues in CS.

And then there's MOBAs. Specifically LoL. Now look: we're not exactly the best of regions - nearly every Worlds participation of ours has ended with the Brazilian representative in the bottom 4. But according to data from around 2017, Brazil had the fifth biggest server around that time - I'm willing to bet our position hasn't moved far from that spot.

As for other consoles, I did touch Sony briefly. I don't think it's any exaggeration to say that Playstation owes a good chunk of its Brazilian popularity to piracy. It was insanely easy to find people selling "alternative" copies of PSX and PS2 games on the street. This led to a lot of Sony games having pull with the crowd here, but if I had to point to any specific genres (to keep the convo brief), it would be Action and Sports/Racing.

Finally, Mobile is also experiencing growth here - though my time has pretty much run out for writing this, so I'm gonna have to leave you without the numbers for now. But it's incredibly prevalent and most Brazilian game companies, like Tapps, specialize in making mobile games.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
They're not shadowdropping the Nintendo Direct Mini: Partner Showcase this time and they're live-streaming it as well? Is this a sign that things are better in that department or is there something special?

Hm, you know what? It's probably the former considering that the Super Mario 35th Anniversary presentation wasn't this way, and it would have made a ton more sense for it do have been done in that manner. 100% gonna just skim it after the fact though.

D

Deleted member

We're half way through the month, two weeks left, but one of the mods in the beginning of September (I forget which of you it was) mentioned hearing a rumor that we're not getting anything Smash related this month and it'll be October before we hear anything. At this point, it's looking more and more like that may be the case. Anything else that rumor include?

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
It's interesting that we're getting a Partner Mini in the middle of September, seeing how we all assumed that those would occur at the end of the month.

Nintendo has been very good at getting out a consistent stream of content this month, which is a nice change of pace after the summer of radio silence. The Mario 35th Anniversary Direct for Week 1, Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity for Week 2, and now a major Partner Direct for Week 3.

Not to get hopes up too high, but we still have a week and a half for September. Assuming we continue this trend of weekly announcements and Nate Drake is right that we've already seen Nintendo's 2020 lineup, the two most likely announcements are info about the Crown Tundra and, yes, Challenger Pack #7. I'd imagine we'd get the character announcement in Week 5 and their release in Week 1 of October, as that would give follow Amiibo theory's 2 week average between fighter and Amiibo release dates.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I'm pretty much assuming Monster Hunter will be in the Partner Showcase as the big reveal. Surprised that they're doing one day after the PS5 showcase. I thought they would wait a bit more.
Oh yeah I forgot about that. Don't particularly care about Monster Hunter so this will probably be another snoozefest showcase for me. I'll at least see if the trailer piques my interest though.

Didn't expect to wake up with a Partner showcase today. Obviously I'm not expecting Smash but hopefully there will be some good surprises. I guess Monster hunter will be there, but that's not really my cup of tea. At least this announcement kills the theory that "Nintendo wil do nothing, Mario is coming Friday".
Not really, I mean these are just a bunch of 3rd party announcements. Clearly a Smash announcement didn’t take place this week as many said it wouldn’t

D

Deleted member

Just remembered the PS5 event is today at 4pm EST. I finally have something to distract me from Smash news today, huzzah!

D

Deleted member

People are craving for Smash, but I'm craving for a friend.

;-;

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Why can't I stop thinking about ancom Geno? Is Geno cooler now?

Edit: This is a joke, please.
It seems Kamiya retweeted the Partner Showcase announcement.

...I guess tomorrow they will announce they're restarting development of Bayonetta 3.
Let's be optimistic. We will get more SMTV and Bayonetta 3! It will be glorious!

Last edited by a moderator:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Thinking about it, a Monster Hunter Switch title would be unique not only for being one of the biggest third party exclusives for the console, but also (given the popularity of the series) stand the best chance of cracking the list of best sellers for the system.

Last edited:

FJA147

Smash Cadet
I’m pretty sure Nintendo is done revealing what they had planned for E3 this year. Adding up all the time of the Min Min reveal trailer, the partner directs, the Mario direct and the Age of Calamity reveal. That puts Nintendo over it usually time of about 43 minutes of their E3 direct. Added up all this adds up to about 45 minutes. So I think that if we weren’t in a pandemic this would have probably been Nintendo’s September direct.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I’m pretty sure Nintendo is done revealing what they had planned for E3 this year. Adding up all the time of the Min Min reveal trailer, the partner directs, the Mario direct and the Age of Calamity reveal. That puts Nintendo over it usually time of about 43 minutes of their E3 direct. Added up all this adds up to about 45 minutes. So I think that if we weren’t in a pandemic this would have probably been Nintendo’s September direct.
CP7 is all that I believe is left of their planned E3 reveals that hasn't been revealed yet.

FJA147

Smash Cadet
About Min Min do you think that an Arms character got in not as a promotional pick but as a wanted character in Nintendo’s eyes due to a lot of people pre-release Ultimate we’re all predicting that an Arms character would make the roster. So Nintendo thinks that an Arms character was a requested character because of all of people predicting an Arms character would have made it into base roster.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
About Min Min do you think that an Arms character got in not as a promotional pick but as a wanted character in Nintendo’s eyes due to a lot of people pre-release Ultimate we’re all predicting that an Arms character would make the roster. So Nintendo thinks that an Arms character was a requested character because of all of people predicting an Arms character would have made it into base roster.
Not likely. I don't think anyone was super vocal about ARMS in Super Smash Bros., it was just quietly accepted to be a thing. No, I think that, like all of the DLC 1st party newcomers, Min Min was promotional in nature. Her inclusion does expand the idea of a promotional character from something that is coming out right this second to anything that Nintendo wants to push at the moment, but I do think she is promotional in that respect.

I hypothesize that the next Nintendo characters in the Fighters Pass will be from Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Splatoon 2, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, or Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition, and that no other games or series even have a shot unless Nintendo is gearing up for something with them that they have yet to reveal.

Broke: Speculating on which characters are being added to Smash
Woke: Speculating on which monsters are being added to Monster Hunter 6
Bespoke: Speculating that the new character is going to be a Monster Hunter even though it probably isn't.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom