• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Yatagarasu

Smash Apprentice
It's just Grubb is saying he's hinted one of the things in it.

So if anyone's seen him hint MH or something else, I'm left to believe he's been playing the long game with SMRPG and Geno which I'm not game to believe.
SMRPG is a bit conspicuous for being left out of SNES Online at this point, but I still am still fairly doubtful about a SMRPG remake (especially with the whole Mario Universe canon purity thing that's been running amok lately, especially in Paper Mario)

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I'd sooner expect it to just be shadow-dropped on both Nintendo and Capcom's YouTube channels.

Again, if big stuff like Bayonetta 3 and Doom Eternal aren't showing up there, what makes Monster Hunter so likely? I'm open to being surprised and seeing any of those three, but after the bad first impression from that first Partner Showcase... yeah, not buying it.
....well, we're not even sure Bayonetta 3 is coming anytime soon, for starters. For all we know it's stuck in development hell.

And like, the first partner showcase was huge, dunno what you're talking about. SMTV being shown off after 3 years in development hell was enormous and frankly huge news that probably would have taken up a small part of Nintendo's E3 presentation.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Hold on, I just noticed. That upcoming partner showcase is gonna be livestreamed? Seems like they finally noticed that when these things are just uploaded in a finished state, people are just gonna skip through these showcases to see if there's anything interesting.

That aside, I suppose we can also put this "partner showcases happen towards the end of the month" hypothesis to rest, eh?

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
And like, the first partner showcase was huge, dunno what you're talking about. SMTV being shown off after 3 years in development hell was enormous and frankly huge news that probably would have taken up a small part of Nintendo's E3 presentation.
Shin Megami Tensei V being shown off after all these years is impressive, I'll give it that... but it was still the only big thing in that Partner Showcase. The rest was smaller stuff that's cool but not as impressive (Cadence of Hyrule DLC and SMTIII Remastered) and games that most Nintendo fans would call shovelware (Rogue Company and WWE 2K Battlegrounds). Not exactly the type of event where I'd expect a brand spankin' new Monster Hunter game to be announced. At best, I'd expect something smaller, like a port of Monster Hunter Stories or DLC for Generations Ultimate.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Shin Megami Tensei V being shown off after all these years is impressive, I'll give it that... but it was still the only big thing in that Partner Showcase. The rest was smaller stuff that's cool but not as impressive (Cadence of Hyrule DLC and SMTIII Remastered) and games that most fans would call shovelware (Rogue Company and WWE 2K Battlegrounds).
Yes?

If MonHun is the big draw of this showcase, I kinda expect it to be 'the' big appeal.

Like, we have a very, very credible insider backing this, we have a partner showcase being announced a day ahead of time.... there's being cautious sure, but this is being a bit pessimistic for the sake of it, isn't it? They want as many eyes on this showcase as they can get, which is why they're actually giving people a sizable window of notice to see this.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Yes?

If MonHun is the big draw of this showcase, I kinda expect it to be 'the' big appeal.

Like, we have a very, very credible insider backing this, we have a partner showcase being announced a day ahead of time.... there's being cautious sure, but this is being a bit pessimistic for the sake of it, isn't it? They want as many eyes on this showcase as they can get, which is why they're actually giving people a sizable window of notice to see this.
I guess we'll see when it happens. I'll be genuinely impressed and excited if we get any of the following...
some news on some long-absent games like Bayonetta 3 and Bravely Default II, plus some new cool stuff like a new Monster Hunter Switch game, some new Switch ports of games like Grand Theft Auto V, Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3, Resident Evil VII, Assassin's Creed: Origins, Darksiders III...
... but based on previous Partner Showcases, still not getting my hopes up.

Shroob

Sup?
I guess we'll see when it happens. I'll be genuinely impressed and excited if we get any of the following...

... but based on previous Partner Showcases, still not getting my hopes up.
Well, gonna let you down easy and tell you those ports probably aren't happening.

Just getting that out of the way right now, it's the Switch after all. :mybodyisreggie:

SirCamp

Smash Ace
Boy let me tell, going from reading a Manga that caused me to tear up during its ending to suddenly having a smile on my face due to Monster Hunter likely being reveal in 7 hours is one within the span of less then a minute is one hell of a mood whiplash.
The partner showcase is on Thursday fyi, so we have over 24 hours.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Okay but

Why that one. Pretty sure Capcom doesn't even have the rights to most of the roster anymore rofl.

Also, as much as I love the Switch... I can never imagine it in a million years running something as huge as GTAV.
But GTAV is a PS3/Xbox360 game.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Okay but

Why that one. Pretty sure Capcom doesn't even have the rights to most of the roster anymore rofl.

Also, as much as I love the Switch... I can never imagine it in a million years running something as huge as GTAV.
When they first announced MVCI, they also re-released UMVC3 on modern systems. I'm actually surprised it hasn't gotten a Switch port yet.

As for GTAV, that game was released on PS3 and Xbox 360, both of which aren't as powerful as the Switch. Even if it may not be the best looking port, I'm sure the Switch could at least run that game.

Last edited:

Super Devon

Smash Apprentice

Shroob

Sup?
unless there's gonna be some kind of bombshell in this, why is this one in particular being livestreamed?
Could be for a lot of reasons.

Maybe they realized that by putting them up as videos, people just skipped to the relevant sections and ignored everything else.

Could be because there's a BIG 3rd party drop coming

May be a few other things.

XorahnGaia

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I'd say that the Partner Showcase being "The MonHun Show+ other smaller stuff" isn't that really asking for the moon.

Say what you will about the previous Partner Showcases, but both of them had one big announcement (SMT V and KH MoM), and this time they have enough confidence in this new one to not only announce it a day in advance but also to steam it (remember, the previous two were just shadow dropped to their Youtube channel with little fanfare).

Shroob

Sup?
So now then the big question.

If this is MonHun, that means we probably can exclude next week from speculation, since that's when we get the big BotW HW info dump, and it's the TGS.

But then the week after that? That's right after the Amiibo come out for Japan, but right before they do for everywhere else. That's prime Amiibo theory territory.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
SMRPG is a bit conspicuous for being left out of SNES Online at this point, but I still am still fairly doubtful about a SMRPG remake (especially with the whole Mario Universe canon purity thing that's been running amok lately, especially in Paper Mario)
Bruh it took like 6 months to get DKC with DKC2 only now making it with SMRPG never even having hit the Wii U eshop, how the hell is SMRPG unique in that regard when there's countless beloved NES and SNES games still missing because Nintendo are idiots who enjoy awful dripfeeding

Shroob

Sup?
So yeah, broken record here, since I literally just said it but

If this IS MonHun, and next week is just a focus on TGS/BotW HW, then the week after that, the week that bleeds into the beginning of October, has literally nothing, unless they decide to drop Crown Tundra news.

That week lines up perfectly with Amiibo Theory, so if this theory has any legs to stand on, that'll be the week.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Since Square owns the rights to Mario RPG, I would bet against it showing up on Switch Online since sadly it seems like none of their games are coming to the service since we haven't gotten any of the old school pre-playstation Final Fantasy's and Dragon Quest yet.
We aren't getting Sqaure Enix RPGs on NSO because Square is just selling them in their own collections or individual enhanced digital releases (like they did with DQ1-3). Realistically though, SMRPG would be a NSO release unless a. hell freezes over and Square/Nintendo sell it seperately or b. hell still freezes over and it gets a full remake.

Last edited:

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
We aren't getting Sqaure Enix RPGs on NSO because Square is just selling them in their own collections or individual enhanced digital releases (like they did with DQ1-3). Realistically though, SMRPG would be a NSO release unless a. hell freezes over and Square/Nintendo sell it seperately or b. hell still freezes over and it gets a full remake.
Yeah the game being caught in legal limbo is reason why the only re-releases are on the Wii VC and SNES classic, while Nintendo and Square have a much better relationship then they did 20 years ago. Its pretty clear both companies have different philosophizes and plans for how to release their classic games in the modern era.

I.D.

Smash Lord
Hi newcomer thread! Just wanted to bring up something interesting I found looking through resetera's thread.

View attachment 285733
So there WAS a reason for randomly skipping a weekly event. Maybe in their original event roadmap they assumed the second character would be released by now?

There was a problem fetching the tweet
Can't wait for Smash on Next Game Gaming Console releasing 20XX.
"Wii U? Never heard of it."

sovietshop.png

Arcane Jill

Smash Apprentice
Weird ass time to drop an announcement. Gonna be working during the livestream, so I will have to try to avoid spoilers and catch it during my noon break. Guessing MH will be dropped here, playing this one up more than the last 2.
Given that the partner being aired now is freeing up the end of the month, wonder if we will get a reveal near the end?

Shroob

Sup?
Weird ass time to drop an announcement. Gonna be working during the livestream, so I will have to try to avoid spoilers and catch it during my noon break. Guessing MH will be dropped here, playing this one up more than the last 2.
Given that the partner being aired now is freeing up the end of the month, wonder if we will get a reveal near the end?
I feel like the last week is perhaps the best shot.

It falls right between the sweet spot of "Japan has the Amiibo, but the rest of the world doesn't yet."

ZelDan

Smash Master
As someone who isn't into Monster Hunter, MH most likely being the big reveal doesn't do anything for me or help to make me excited for this Partner Showcase.

I won't exactly just assume it will be garbage and have nothing of worth though. I'm a huge fan of indie games and smaller games and don't treat such games as inferior or lesser games to AAA stuff and whatnot, so I'm hopeful that maybe there will be some smaller title that will maybe surprise me and give me something to look forward to.

I.D.

Smash Lord
So there WAS a reason for randomly skipping a weekly event. Maybe in their original event roadmap they assumed the second character would be released by now?
Following this line of logic a little bit further, the fact that they didn't skip the "no projectile" tournament might mean... the next character has at least one projectile!... Yeah that doesn't really narrow things down

Shroob

Sup?
Following this line of logic a little bit further, the fact that they didn't skip the "no projectile" tournament might mean... the next character has at least one projectile!... Yeah that doesn't really narrow things down
Even if said in jest, I actually do think that could have some merit to it. I can think of a few commonly discussed characters that lack projectiles, but like, it's soo small it's on one hand.

But this is also assuming that the Tournament skipped was Projectiles only tournament was next in line, and it's not after No projectiles.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
You think they’d ACTUALLY do a smash reveal in a partner direct?

sure it hasn’t happened before, but first time for everything right?

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Back then it could fit on two DVDs. Now, the game size is approaching 100 GB. It would not fit on a cartridge nor the Switch's internal storage.
Switch ports basically never have the same file sizes as the PS/Xbox versions. Take Doom 2016 which is like, 80GB but still managed to end up on Switch at a greatly reduced file size.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Switch ports basically never have the same file sizes as the PS/Xbox versions. Take Doom 2016 which is like, 80gb but still managed to end up on Switch at a greatly reduced file size.
Still, the game's file size has become much bigger since 2013. It's because of GTAO updates, and don't think they won't try to get some extra money from Switch players with their Shark cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom