• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
It'll be a Nintendo Switch focused pass if anything.
ARMS and Xenoblade 2 because they're successful, requested and cost nothing to license. A Pokemon. Travis and an SMT rep because they're already being bankrolled by Nintendo on Switch a la Bayonetta so they have vested interests in their success. Last slot... I dunno, a cheap-to-license character from a partner like Terry was (Ryza and Koei Tecmo?).
That is what I am thinking as well, right now outside of Plant (who was likely initially plan for the base game) we are 2 for 2 in terms of our first party characters being from the Switch era and it would make sense that Nintendo is more incline to pick recent characters from ongoing series over retro characters from dead series.

Though the main thing against this is that Nintendo and Sakurai made several logic games that would have perfectly fit this theory like Astral Chain and Ring Fit Adventure, spirit events.

I also just realize that while Xenoblade 1's party are Spirits in the game, there wasn't a Xenoblade Spirit event despite there being characters that would make sense as Spirits like Riki's kids from FC, the party from Torna The Golden Country and any of the series villains outside of Metal Face and
Lao

Arcane Jill

Smash Apprentice
It'll be a Nintendo Switch focused pass if anything.
ARMS and Xenoblade 2 because they're successful, requested and cost nothing to license. A Pokemon. Travis and an SMT rep because they're already being bankrolled by Nintendo on Switch a la Bayonetta so they have vested interests in their success. Last slot... I dunno, a cheap-to-license character from a partner like Terry was (Ryza and Koei Tecmo?).
This is how Demifiend can still win :ultpacman:
In all honesty, I can see this happening and I would be pretty happy with this pass.
Also why are we entertaining the idea of a Triple? I doubt we would even get a double. I also don't think 7 will break the internet like some are expecting, so don't be surprised if it's somebody from a 1st party or mid-tier 3rd party.

Shroob

Sup?
So, epicmartin7 epicmartin7 has been bringing something up that I think needs to be brought to attention.

Also, real quick, I should mention my average equation (average of all three regions) is saying October 1st, 2020 or October 23rd, 2020 for a potential Fighter 7 release. However, I should mention that this is just math. So... certainly don't take this as gospel and it's just an approximation. So it certainly could be wrong, or off by a bit.

I think I should note, that if you take into account the Amiibo theory:

October 1st is both a Thursday, and the happy middle ground between when the Amiibos will be out in Japan, but not quite out in the rest of the world yet.

On top of all that, assuming Shinobi's Monster Hunter comes to pass, there won't be anything else until the Pikmin 3 port.

No Mario 3D Collection.

No BotW HW News.

No MonHun

No Tokyo Game Show

Nothin'.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
This is how Demifiend can still win :ultpacman:
In all honesty, I can see this happening and I would be pretty happy with this pass.
Also why are we entertaining the idea of a Triple? I doubt we would even get a double. I also don't think 7 will break the internet like some are expecting, so don't be surprised if it's somebody from a 1st party or mid-tier 3rd party.
1600240122547.png

The coming of our time is nigh; and one day they'll see. They'll all see.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
DKC2 for NSO, huh? That's pretty neat. I beat the original when it came out for the service a few weeks ago, and now I get the chance to play the sequel as well.

Hi newcomer thread! Just wanted to bring up something interesting I found looking through resetera's thread.

View attachment 285733
So, where are they getting this number from. . .?

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Are there even any big third party games we're still awaiting news on? Bayonetta 3, maybe? We have SMTV's release date and NMH3's delay was announced.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Are there even any big third party games we're still awaiting news on? Bayonetta 3, maybe? We have SMTV's release date and NMH3's delay was announced.
Bayonetta 3, Bravely Default II, and the Doom Eternal Switch port are the ones I can remember...

... but if the past two Partner Showcases are any indication, we're not seeing any of those games, despite the Partner Showcase theoretically being a good place to show them off. Same thing for that rumored Monster Hunter Switch game. Instead, they'd rather show off smaller games that would just get lost in the shuffle if they were in a real Direct.

Spongeboob

Smash Ace
A hot dog stand at the end of time and space
Switch FC
SW-5063-7952-1131
My bad, I should've probably left a link from the start. Here you go

Thanks.

And there's the partner mini!
I wonder what'll get showcased this time, even though we're not getting a Smash reveal.
EDIT: THat's not real is it :|

Last edited:

Mamboo07

Smash Hero

Staarih

Smash Master

Weird time to announce it.

But cool. It's the first livestreamed Partner Showcase (instead of just uploading a vid) so they could have something surprising in it.
...or not.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
I said this over in the Geno thread, and I'll say it here as well...

The saddest part, at least for me, is that I want to be more excited for these. In theory, a Direct mini that's dedicated to third-party stuff would be awesome, or at least pretty cool. You get some news on some long-absent games like Bayonetta 3 and Bravely Default II, plus some new cool stuff like a new Monster Hunter Switch game, some new Switch ports of games like Grand Theft Auto V, Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3, Resident Evil VII, Assassin's Creed: Origins, Darksiders III...

... instead, you get a bunch of smaller games that you'd expect to see in the sizzle reel of a real Direct. I normally try to be optimistic for these kinds of events, but that first Partner Showcase left a really bad taste in my mouth. I'm open to being surprised in a good way, but we'll see...

Well

Hi Shinobi, thank you for telling us the big draw of this Partner Mini.

Considering they announced this one in advance, they definitely think this one's important...

Monster Hunter

We know it's Monster Hunter
Again, normally optimistic with these... but I'm having some doubts that something as big as Monster Hunter will show up in a Partner Showcase.

Dr. Yatagarasu

Smash Apprentice

last time the direct was full of rhythm games
in a completely logical progression this direct will only feature ports of mario is missing, hotel mario and cd-i zelda

Shroob

Sup?
I said this over in the Geno thread, and I'll say it here as well...

The saddest part, at least for me, is that I want to be more excited for these. In theory, a Direct mini that's dedicated to third-party stuff would be awesome, or at least pretty cool. You get some news on some long-absent games like Bayonetta 3 and Bravely Default II, plus some new cool stuff like a new Monster Hunter Switch game, some new Switch ports of games like Grand Theft Auto V, Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3, Resident Evil VII, Assassin's Creed: Origins, Darksiders III...

... instead, you get a bunch of smaller games that you'd expect to see in the sizzle reel of a real Direct. I normally try to be optimistic for these kinds of events, but that first Partner Showcase left a really bad taste in my mouth. I'm open to being surprised in a good way, but we'll see...

Again, normally optimistic with these... but I'm having some doubts that something as big as Monster Hunter will show up in a Partner Showcase.
I mean, it's literally partner showcase material.

The fact that this one's being advertised ahead of time like the one that showed off SMT5 and not the last one tells me they WANT us to tune into this one to see something big.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Last edited:

Dr. Yatagarasu

Smash Apprentice
I mean, it's literally partner showcase material.

The fact that this one's being advertised ahead of time like the one that showed off SMT5 and not the last one tells me they WANT us to tune into this one to see something big.
I would agree with this if they weren't announcing this at 1-4am in the states

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Dammit I missed people talking about Joy Mech Fight. Someday Sukapon will have his day.

Anyway, Partner Direct tomorrow, huh? I wonder if it'll be like the first one (all trash and a Monster Hunter reveal at the end), or like the second one (cool stuff but nothing mind-blowing throughout). Probably the first one because MH pretty much needs to happen.

Either way, just my luck that both Nintendo and Sony are having presentations tomorrow when I got an exam on Thursday. Hope I'm able to act like a responsible human being but it's gonna be tough.

Dr. Yatagarasu

Smash Apprentice
The Direct doesn't air for another day. They're giving it a whole day for news sites to report on it.

And again, the SMT5 one was announced at 9PM, only a couple hours before.
Yeah I'm dumb, I just noticed that.
I am still confused why they chose to tweet out this information now, though. It's not like they would've gotten less coverage if they tweeted it out in like 8 hours...

Shroob

Sup?
Yeah I'm dumb, I just noticed that.
I am still confused why they chose to tweet out this information now, though. It's not like they would've gotten less coverage if they tweeted it out in like 8 hours...
They tweeted the SMT5 one only like, 6-7 hours before they aired it, and they didn't even tweet the last one.

Considering they're giving people a day's notice this time, letting media sites drum up excitement and coverage, they 'want' people to tune into this one for some kind of big reveal.

Staarih

Smash Master
The fact that it's announced beforehand and is livestreamed, instead of just dropping a video people can skip to the end to, makes it somewhat different from the previous partner showcases.

MonHun would be kinda rad and then continue on with more info in upcoming TGS, but it could be anything really. I haven't minded the previous ones so I'll be welcoming this with an open mind.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Can't wait for Smash on Next Game Gaming Console releasing 20XX.

I want to believe that the advanced notice, recent rumours and coming so close to a management briefing and TGS means there is something substantive. Not sure it'll mean Smash but I'll take the surprise if a third party character is announced here.

Last Partner Showcase had a few games I got really excited for, so really I'm just hoping there's something else here that I'll look forward to.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I'm predicting the week of September 28th-Oct 2nd as when the Sakurai Presents will be. No new releases Nintendo will be focusing on, and it's around the dates of the new amiibo.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace

Boy let me tell, going from reading a Manga that caused me to tear up during its ending to suddenly having a smile on my face due to Monster Hunter likely being reveal in 7 hours is one within the span of less then a minute is one hell of a mood whiplash.

Shroob

Sup?
Still not getting my hopes up for Monster Hunter or something else big, but this is definitely curious...
I mean, Shinobi flat out said it's coming before TGS, and Nintendo doesn't exactly own the rights to Monster Hunter... If the game is Switch exclusive, where else would they be promoting it?

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I mean, Shinobi flat out said it's coming before TGS, and Nintendo doesn't exactly own the rights to Monster Hunter... If the game is Switch exclusive, where else would they be promoting it?
Has Grubb specifically hinted MH? I've seen mostly Geno/SMRPG posts from him regarding Nintendo but I don't remember him hinting MH.

Shroob

Sup?
Has Grubb specifically hinted MH? I've seen mostly Geno/SMRPG posts from him regarding Nintendo but I don't remember him hinting MH.
I don't really follow any of these dudes off sight so beats me, all I know is Shinobi said "Before TGS", and if they're announcing this an entire day beforehand, they absolutely want eyes on this for something big, especially since the last one wasn't even announced prior.

Dr. Yatagarasu

Smash Apprentice
omG niNtEnDo rEfErEncED MeLeE
Yeah, I can't really think of anywhere else MH would be announced if not TGS. I wonder what else will be announced, though.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I don't really follow any of these dudes off sight so beats me, all I know is Shinobi said "Before TGS", and if they're announcing this an entire day beforehand, they absolutely want eyes on this for something big, especially since the last one wasn't even announced prior.
It's just Grubb is saying he's hinted one of the things in it.

So unless anyone's seen him hint MH or something else, I'm left to believe he's been playing the long game with SMRPG and Geno which I'm not game to believe.

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
I'd sooner expect it to just be shadow-dropped on both Nintendo and Capcom's YouTube channels.

Again, if big stuff like Bayonetta 3 and Doom Eternal aren't showing up there, what makes Monster Hunter so likely? I'm open to being surprised and seeing any of those three, but after the bad first impression from that first Partner Showcase... yeah, not buying it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom