• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
To be fair it's not like this is significantly behind what the theorized schedule was going to be anyway. If a character comes out around E3, the next character is usually expected to come out around September.

And at this point it seems like the reveal and release will be very close together, if not simultaneous.

Fudge it.

This happens?

I'm changing the analogy. ''It's like complaining about X-Men and Spider-Man characters in a Marvel game. "

Yes, that's what I shall do.
They never do add enough Spidey-Villains.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
''It's like complaining about X-Men and Spider-Man characters in a Marvel game. "
Well you see Dastardly, people don't want more Sueper Mario or Pokémon characters, they just want their functions.

Greninja? Nah, just give us a playstyle that's basically Sheik, but not.
Incineroar? Get outta here! Give us a lariat and a powerup counter.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Yes.

Considering how long they've taken just to reveal just the first character for this pass and how long it's taking to reveal the second character, I would not be surprised if Fighter 7 and Fighter 8 are both done and ready for a double reveal. I'd even go as far as to say that a triple reveal with Fighter 9 as well isn't too far fetched at this point.
As cool as that would be, I highly doubt we'll be getting a triple reveal. Not with spread-out release dates like this. At most, I could see a double reveal, but a triple? As optimistic as I am, that's pretty far-fetched.

Shroob

Sup?
To be fair it's not like this is significantly behind what the theorized schedule was going to be anyway. If a character comes out around E3, the next character is usually expected to come out around September.

And at this point it seems like the reveal and release will be very close together, if not simultaneous.

They never do add enough Spidey-Villains.
Pretty much. I'm still of the belief that 2020 was going to be the dead year in terms of releases. I would have liked more for sure, but it seems like they're absolutely going to stretch this to December 2021, if my hunch is correct to coincide with the game's anniversary.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
What if FP7 was... FP7?

I'm correct, no one can prove my statement wrong. Literally.
I can say you're incorrect without disproving your sentence: 'Tis a question, not a statement, and therefore can be neither true nor false.

''We'll add Venom.....maybe Carnage. Okay, we're done!"
"Spidey's tangled with Dr. Doom before right? He should be good."

"Isn't he supposed to be the Fantastic 4's primary villain though? Maybe we should add them."

"Pft! No."

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Pretty much. I'm still of the belief that 2020 was going to be the dead year in terms of releases. I would have liked more for sure, but it seems like they're absolutely going to stretch this to December 2021, if my hunch is correct to coincide with the game's anniversary.
In terms of Smash releases, perhaps. But if they were going to show FP7 at E3 and released it around now, which I think is probable, then I believe it's more likely FP8 would've been at least known before 2020 concluded.

In terms of regular releases, this year was always destined to be more low-key than those which preceded and followed it, but I've no doubt there were a handful of releases that got pushed into 2021, most of which we've not yet heard about publicly.

''We'll add Venom.....maybe Carnage. Okay, we're done!"
Yeah and all the Spidey characters they do add are just Spider-Man but different.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Yeah and all the Spidey characters they do add are just Spider-Man but different.
glares at MUA3

''We'll add Miles and Gwen from the hit movie Into the Spider-Verse! Okay. See they have a few things different from Peter! WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM US?"

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Fudge it.

This happens?

I'm changing the analogy. ''It's like complaining about X-Men and Spider-Man characters in a Marvel game. "

Yes, that's what I shall do.
I've already compared the number of Pokemon and non-Pokemon in Smash to the number of Mutants and non-Mutants in Marvel vs. Capcom 2. I'm one step ahead.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I've already compared the number of Pokemon and non-Pokemon in Smash to the number of Mutants and non-Mutants in Marvel vs. Capcom 2. I'm one step ahead.
Look the MvC games until that latest monstrosity were actually pretty diverse with their Marvel roster. They added Rocket before Rocket was even a megawatt Marvel character thanks to the movies. They had fricking MODOK of all people. Lol.

extremeturkey

Smash Apprentice
I've never bought Mii outfits before, but I would probably buy Cadence if they made a high-quality Cadence outfit and added some songs from Necrodancer or Cadence of Hyrule.

metalhydra273

Smash Apprentice
Look the MvC games until that latest monstrosity were actually pretty diverse with their Marvel roster. They added Rocket before Rocket was even a megawatt Marvel character thanks to the movies. They had fricking MODOK of all people. Lol.
Even in the early installments before MVC1 they had oddball picks like shuma-gorath and blackheart. It isn't exactly ideal but you can't say it wasn't cool to have them

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So what are the chances 2B could be our next fighter? I saw this the other day:

I doubt that means she is going to be in Smash, but I'm asking you guys what this means for her chances if anything.

Shroob

Sup?

I doubt that means she is going to be in Smash, but I'm asking you guys what this means for her chances if anything.
Don't think it means anything, just seems like it's talking about news of the NiER remakes at the TGS.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord

Thinking about the alt universe where Sister Sonic actually happened and Popful Mail stuff became canon to sonic like Doki Doki Panic to mario.

Imagine how bizarre that would've been. We could have had Falcom developed Sonic RPG's if it went well.
Popful Mail is the 2nd Sonic rep and 1st Falcom rep we deserve.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
glares at MUA3

''We'll add Miles and Gwen from the hit movie Into the Spider-Verse! Okay. See they have a few things different from Peter! WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM US?"
Yeah overall I think MUA3 has had the best roster in a while (maybe because it's the first game in forever that actually got seemingly full use of Marvel's catalogue) but the Spider-Man characters are Spider-Man, new Spider-Man, female Spider-Man, edgy monster Spider-Man, and Jared Leto. Who I don't think I even knew about before the movie.

I know that's reductionist to an extent, but c'mon. Can't we get a Goblin up in here? Doctor Octopus? Mysterio? Why do they all have to be Spidey...

On the flip side, I was big on the X-Men choices.

I'm still pretty pessimistic on her chances due to that statement about Sakurai and Taro not having met until late last year (and just in general I find her a dark horse), but I hope that they at least have some Switch ports to announce at that event.

Shroob

Sup?
I know, but would this boost her chances though? I doubt it.
Unless she's being added into Smash as some sort of cross promotion, I doubt it?

I'd like her a lot, probably my personal Square rep, but unless it's another Joker scenario where "His series is not coming to Nintendo but still has a game coming out" scenario, I doubt it.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
If the character doesn't come out by this month, then I'd assume F7 was likely never planned to be an E3 reveal. Once we get to October, we'll be getting closer to Terry's reveal than Banjo's, which would make me more inclined to believe F7 may have been revealed in a September Direct if COVID hadn't delayed some of Nintendo's lineup.

Even without this year's E3, Sakurai could've easily did what he did with Terry and shown us F7 along with Min Min. Since that didn't happen, I thought, "Well, maybe they're saving that character for a Direct later this year." Doesn't seem like that's happening either, so what other reason would they be holding off on this character aside from the character not being ready to show off yet? They're not gaining anything by waiting.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
If the character doesn't come out by this month, then I'd assume F7 was likely never planned to be an E3 reveal. Once we get to October, we'll be getting closer to Terry's reveal than Banjo's, which would make me more inclined to believe F7 may have been revealed in a September Direct if COVID hadn't delayed some of Nintendo's lineup.

Even without this year's E3, Sakurai could've easily did what he did with Terry and shown us F7 along with Min Min. Since that didn't happen, I thought, "Well, maybe they're saving that character for a Direct later this year." Doesn't seem like that's happening either, so what other reason would they be holding off on this character aside from the character not being ready to show off yet? They're not gaining anything by waiting.
I mean, it's very possible release schedules got messed up by the pandemic.

And even if the character is ready to go right now, Nintendo's marketing seems to be so messed up this year that I could believe that that's the part that's causing the hold up.

Shroob

Sup?

I mean, Mario collection was apparently good to be shown off in April, if anything, something like that seems like it would have been shown off at E3.

This entire year's schedule is skull ****ed, I don't think it's safe to try to predict how this year would have gone if things had actually worked out.

metalhydra273

Smash Apprentice
I mean, it's very possible release schedules got messed up by the pandemic.
It's possible it may have been delayed so much because during covid, they're trying to work as much in house only as possible, which means fp7 might be another first party. It's possible the order could have gotten messed up and they swapped it so they didnt have to arrange meetings with a separate company to work on a 3rd party and could work entirely within their own resources, which is why everything has been so delayed to this point as they need time to catch up. Though this is mainly a baseless theory, but I could see this being the case.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I mean, Mario collection was apparently good to be shown off in April, if anything, something like that seems like it would have been shown off at E3.

This entire year's schedule is skull ****ed, I don't think it's safe to try to predict how this year would have gone if things had actually worked out.
We don't know for sure if they waited until September because of delays or because that's the birth month of the original Super Mario Bros. Actually, we don't even know if insiders are right about the Direct being intended for April.

Regardless, I do think people need to start opening up to idea that Min Min may have been all that we would've gotten at E3. I'm seeing too many people argue that some characters can't be F7 because, "There's no way Nintendo would reveal only them and Min Min at E3. They're not big enough."

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
We don't know for sure if they waited until September because of delays or because that's the birth month of the original Super Mario Bros. Actually, we don't even know if insiders are right about the Direct being intended for April.

Regardless, I do think people need to start opening up to idea that Min Min may have been all that we would've gotten at E3. I'm seeing too many people argue that some characters can't be F7 because, "There's no way Nintendo would reveal only them and Min Min at E3. They're not big enough."
I mean, we literally have the Super Mario Maker thing stating April. So, if anything, I'd say that's some pretty solid evidence.

Also, I think at this point... does it even matter? Nintendo pulled out of E3 back in March and E3 didn't happen. Debating could of should ofs over an event that didn't even come to pass seems silly.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Also, I think at this point... does it even matter? Nintendo pulled out of E3 back in March and E3 didn't happen. Debating could of should ofs over an event that didn't even come to pass seems silly.
In the context of Smash speculation, I think it matters. Due to previous E3s, people assume E3 reveals are supposed to feature really "big" characters, so if F7 was never intended to be an E3 reveal, that could have a huge impact on predictions.

That's why I think the topic is worth discussing, because otherwise we could end up very confused when the "big E3 reveal" is something like a relatively small first-party character who wouldn't make people go into a frenzy.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
In the context of Smash speculation, I think it matters. Due to previous E3s, people assume E3 reveals are supposed to feature really "big" characters, so if F7 was never intended to be an E3 reveal, that could have a huge impact on predictions.

That's why I think the topic is worth discussing, because otherwise we could end up very confused when the "big E3 reveal" is something like a relatively small first-party character who wouldn't make people go into a frenzy.
But can we prove it is the question.

We already know for a fact that the plan was for Mario35th was to announce it in April and have the games come out this month, or else this wouldn't exist:

1600231107437.png

That's not a typo, you're seriously gonna tell me someone mistook April not once, but twice, for September?

So at this point, no, we 'really' cannot say for one way or another if Smash was hella delayed or not.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
But can we prove it is the question.

So at this point, no, we 'really' cannot say for one way or another if Smash was hella delayed or not.
Mario Direct aside, in my eyes, not being able to prove a date for F7 is another reason why we shouldn't automatically assume they were our second E3 character.

I'm just trying to get people to think and help prepare for multiple outcomes. It's no skin off my nose if people walk in expecting Crash or Dante because " E3 is hype" but we get Rex or a SwSh Pokémon instead.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Mario Direct aside, in my eyes, not being able to prove a date for F7 is another reason why we shouldn't automatically assume they were our second E3 character.

I'm just trying to get people to think and help prepare for multiple outcomes. It's no skin off my nose if people walk in expecting Crash or Dante because " E3 is hype" but we get Rex or a SwSh Pokémon instead.
I mean, Rex is arguably a character 'big' enough for E3. Hell, people were even talking about it the other night in regards to the Spanish leaker.

.....He's no Chibi Robo, that's for damn sure.

No one's Chibi Robo.

What the ****'s a Chibi Robo? Not even Nintendo knows.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I mean, Rex is arguably a character 'big' enough for E3. Hell, people were even talking about it the other night in regards to the Spanish leaker.

.....He's no Chibi Robo, that's for damn sure.

No one's Chibi Robo.

What the ****'s a Chibi Robo? Not even Nintendo knows.
Chibi Robo is a robot that is chibi. It's right there in the name.

I do think Rex could potentially work as an E3-level reveal, seeing as XC2 did pretty darn well given the circumstances. He's also a pretty big request too, being fairly popular in the West and a poll-topper in Japan. That being said, it would set a precedent for a more Nintendo-focused pass, which would certainly be an interesting path for speculation to take.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Chibi Robo is a robot that is chibi. It's right there in the name.

I do think Rex could potentially work as an E3-level reveal, seeing as XC2 did pretty darn well given the circumstances. He's also a pretty big request too, being fairly popular in the West and a poll-topper in Japan. That being said, it would set a precedent for a more Nintendo-focused pass, which would certainly be an interesting path for speculation to take.
I don't think we'll get a Nintendo focused pass. Unless we get more information somewhere down the line, there's like, 3 series that they'd potentially pick from, and I'm not so sure how likely one of those three is on its own given the characters it has to offer.

At the very most, I'd expect a 50/50 split.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I don't think we'll get a Nintendo focused pass. Unless we get more information somewhere down the line, there's like, 3 series that they'd potentially pick from, and I'm not so sure how likely one of those three is on its own given the characters it has to offer.

At the very most, I'd expect a 50/50 split.
Yeah, that's what I'm expecting. The pool of first-parties that are a combination of at least popularity, relevancy, and the ability to support a full pass on their own is pretty slim. Still, if your two E3 picks are first-party, that kinda sends a message, doesn't it?

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
I firmly believe that we will get a partner before Smash, especially if its where Monster Hunter is planned to be revealed as its heavily rumored to be reveal before TGS next week.

So put me in the October camp, I see Nintendo wanting to save some news for October since we would have had the Mario direct, Age of Calamity, TGS and possibly a Partner direct as the big news for September.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
It'll be a Nintendo Switch focused pass if anything.
ARMS and Xenoblade 2 because they're successful, requested and cost nothing to license. A Pokemon. Travis and an SMT rep because they're already being bankrolled by Nintendo on Switch a la Bayonetta so they have vested interests in their success. Last slot... I dunno, a cheap-to-license character from a partner like Terry was (Ryza and Koei Tecmo?).

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I bet this would not include ARMS had we not had its character announced and released.
No. Which is why I said "Unless we get more information somewhere down the line..."

Yeah, that's what I'm expecting. The pool of first-parties that are a combination of at least popularity, relevancy, and the ability to support a full pass on their own is pretty slim. Still, if your two E3 picks are first-party, that kinda sends a message, doesn't it?
Maybe, but I think it'd more likely be a coincidence.

D

Deleted member

I am going to be real with you.

VERY unlikely we are getting 2 characters revealed in the next presentation that reveals a character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom