• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
Since the Mario 3D Collection stuff was delayed from April, it's entirely possible they've been sitting on a prepared character, presentation and all, for the sole reason of having something to reveal in a dry period.

Which kinda blows chunks, man.
Feel like that's a given. While I dunno when they would have eventually released, if we're expecting this character in the near future, then the trailer's probably just been sitting there for weeks.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I dunno if this is considered a hot take in the Fire Emblem community but.... god, I hated Shadow Dragon.

It wasn't 'bad' per se, but it just felt bad to play. The artstyle was hella ugly and all the actual 'new' content was basically locked behind either being garbage at the game or forcing you to sacrifice units to see it.
Yeah, the artstyle was kinda awkward. The whole "Kill units for paralogues" thing was pretty stupid too. From what I can gather, disliking Shadow Dragon isn't actually that hot a take.
The thing is that while Japan loves the original game and apparently holds Mystery of the Emblem in high regard, the West was introduced with Blazing Blade, or perhaps Sacred Stones or the Tellius games. By then, we had gotten stuff like the weapon triangle and Supports, something the NES games lacked. By then, the West had been spoiled by all the improvements brought on by later installments, and so Shadow Dragon was pretty disliked. The points you mentioned didn't help at all.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I feel like Quest 64 should still have some legacy in gaming history.
Based on...what exactly?

It's mediocre quality? It's forgettable impact? It's complete lack of any coninuation as a franchise?
The only reason anyone remembers it at all is because it was the onlt RPG on the N64 for awhile.

You're basically asking for Buck Bumble here.

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Based on...what exactly?

It's mediocre quality? It's forgettable impact? It's complete lack of any coninuation as a franchise?

It's a cute game to me, an incredibly valid reason that dismantles any counterargument.:4pacman:

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Since the Mario 3D Collection stuff was delayed from April, it's entirely possible they've been sitting on a prepared character, presentation and all, for the sole reason of having something to reveal in a dry period.

We don't know if the 5 month delay effected other areas of Nintendo though, it is highly likely that it did, but still we don't really know yet

Heck yeah lets get Buck Bumble even if it is just for this song

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Definitely more than NoA would be willing to do, especially if they couldn't even bother to translate Joy Mech Fight which has significantly less text.

Especially because Mystery of the Emblem would essentially be two games in one, since it contains both books of the Archanea saga. Like, I'd love for them to just translate FE3 since FE12 never came out outside of Japan. But I'm never holding my breath for it.
Maybe Joy Mech Fight will come one day. Takamaru's game never showed up on the Wii VC but it did on the 3DS.

Even if there hadn't been a pandemic this year, these things get made super far in advance. Remember that Banjo's was filmed days after Hero's, which was (iirc) sometime in June. And Banjo wasn't out until September.

I've no doubt the presentation for FP7 has existed for a while now, and very well might be 100% ready for airing.

But I don't think they're sitting on it for use during a dry period. DLC doesn't usually serve that function, ports and smaller releases do. Especially since between now and the end of the year there aren't really going to be "dry periods". Nintendo has a release planned every month now. And the Pokemon DLC.

The dry period was between Paper Mario and the game coming out this week.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I feel for Sakurai most in this delay. I feel like he's had two games now with DLC in this series and neither one has been smooth sailing.

Massive leaks? Check. Spoiled by accident? Check. Hinted to death by insiders? Check.

Then Miss Rona came along this time and said? ''Oh, I'm sorry are you trying to do a second pass. No. No. No. That's not gonna work. Sorry."

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It's a cute game to me, an incredibly valid reason that dismantles any counterargument.:4pacman:
...Besides, it did get a spin-off Puzzle game and a full Gameboy remake.

Still a pretty small franchise, all things considered. There's kind of... 4 games not counting straight ports. 5 even more technically. Quest 64/Holy Magic Century are the same game on the 64, and Eltale Monsters is a full remake of Quest 64 with tons of changes. Quest Fantasy Challenge(which also got the name Holy Magic Century for the UK port) is a puzzle game, and basically a redeco of Mr. Do!, but with more monsters/items. The last one is Quest RPG(and a slightly updated version in Jack no Daibouken, the Japanese version) otherwise.

...It gets confusing. Either way, the franchise went for a while. The only thing cancelled was Quest 64 2, and that was due to bankruptcy issues. Fun fact too; Quest 64 was considered a success sales wise, which is why a sequel was greenlit to begin with.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
...Besides, it did get a spin-off Puzzle game and a full Gameboy remake.

Still a pretty small franchise, all things considered. There's kind of... 4 games not counting straight ports. 5 even more technically. Quest 64/Holy Magic Century are the same game on the 64, and Eltale Monsters is a full remake of Quest 64 with tons of changes. Quest Fantasy Challenge(which also got the name Holy Magic Century for the UK port) is a puzzle game, and basically a redeco of Mr. Do!, but with more monsters/items. The last one is Quest RPG(and a slightly updated version in Jack no Daibouken, the Japanese version) otherwise.

...It gets confusing. Either way, the franchise went for a while. The only thing cancelled was Quest 64 2, and that was due to bankruptcy issues. Fun fact too; Quest 64 was considered a success sales wise, which is why a sequel was greenlit to begin with.
Quest 64 still deserves a spirit or something in my eyes. I mean look how many franchises are included as spirits. Some are obscure as hell. Also, I never knew it's technically considered a series, but yeah, that's rather confusing. It's a shame the franchise never got the chance to develop into something impactful. There was a lot of potential with that first game. Of course, it's got flaws, but still, potential!

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Maybe Joy Mech Fight will come one day. Takamaru's game never showed up on the Wii VC but it did on the 3DS.
I just downloaded the Famicom online app to play Joy Mech Fight.

Nintendo might be able to get away with releasing it as is. The Mysterious Murasame Castle was fine as the only text iirc is on the main menu. Joy Mech Fight has a bunch of dialogue and character/move names in Japanese but the menus are in English iirc and being a fighting game there's nothing you need to actually read during gameplay to play it.

Last edited:

rychu_supadude

Smash Journeyman
"Geno is the character Smash Bros needs!!"

"He hasn't done anything in over 20 years!! What makes you think he'll do anything now!!"
I really want to see how people would react if Geno was added to Mario Kart 9 instead of Smash. You can honestly guess what most of the takes would be (even Geno fans are no monolith opinion-wise), but it would be something else to actually witness the drama play out.

D

Deleted member

I can't stop thinking of that post I made where I mentioned Geno was an ancom.

Also, it is strange to think we only got 2 DLC characters in 2020 so far.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Quest 64 still deserves a spirit or something in my eyes. I mean look how many franchises are included as spirits. Some are obscure as hell. Also, I never knew it's technically considered a series, but yeah, that's rather confusing. It's a shame the franchise never got the chance to develop into something impactful. There was a lot of potential with that first game. Of course, it's got flaws, but still, potential!
Too true. It has a lot. A lot of the squandered potential is due to rushing out the game. I'd recommend the Japanese n64 version for a more updated experience.

Nonetheless, I agree it'd be a great obscure game to get some content~ And yeah, few knew it was a series overall. It doesn't help some only know just the 64 game, depending what region they're from. ProJared made that a bit more known these days, so it's just the two Gameboy games(well, 4, but 2 and 2 are the same) that have gotten far less known.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I really want to see how people would react if Geno was added to Mario Kart 9 instead of Smash. You can honestly guess what most of the takes would be (even Geno fans are no monolith opinion-wise), but it would be something else to actually witness the drama play out.
There are two takes:

"OMGTHEY'REUSINGGENOINSOMETHINGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!"

and

"WHYDIDTHEYADDGENOTOMARIOKARTANDNOTSMASHREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!"

There is no in-between.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I dunno, they seem pretty fitting to me. Hollow Knight is a new release, while Puyo Puyo is a long-running series that's been popular but never truly broke into the mainstream.
Puyo Puyo is Sega's second most successful series behind Sonic. It's mainstream, it's just not mainstream here.

If you can make a case for why they should be flipped, they probably both belong in both categories.
The reason I edited it out is because Puyo Puyo is not a new series, so it didn't fit. But it's also not a "smaller series", it doesn't fit in that category. It's had like twenty games and sold over 20 million units. And yeah, most of that comes from Japan, but calling it small is like calling Dragon Quest small, it'd be a western-centric fallacy.

Hollow Knight fits under both, but as a series it's a lot smaller than Puyo Puyo.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I can't stop thinking of that post I made where I mentioned Geno was an ancom.

Also, it is strange to think we only got 2 DLC characters in 2020 so far.
I'm sure if 2020 was a normal year and not one where we fell into a parallel dimension which consists only of hellish events we'd probably have the first 3 of the past at this point or 2 released, one around the corner, and the 4th about to be revealed.

Most likely Min Min would have been earlier. 2 fighters revealed at E3, 2 already released, 3 releasing around this time, and then one about to be revealed for a late fall/early winter release.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
There are two takes:

"OMGTHEY'REUSINGGENOINSOMETHINGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!"

and

"WHYDIDTHEYADDGENOTOMARIOKARTANDNOTSMASHREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!"

There is no in-between.
To be fair, this is Geno we're talking about. I don't know if there ever was an in-between.

Besides, at the rate we're going, he'd be more likely to appear in Mario Kart Tour.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
You know, this brings up a potential point.

Have Nintendo been holding onto Smash reveals for so long that when they finally reveal FP7, we could get a trailer for FP8 too?

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done

Have Nintendo been holding onto Smash reveals for so long that when they finally reveal FP7, we could get a trailer for FP8 too?
Possibly? Unless FP7 really is Geno or even someone like Waluigi and they just want to make it a special Mario 35th thing and not let whoever 8 is overshadow that being from another franchise.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Besides, at the rate we're going, he'd be more likely to appear in Mario Kart Tour.
There is actually a different take should that happen: "Profound sadness!"

No. If they truly holding onto presentations for reasons other than "the fighter isn't done yet", then they'll be holding onto the next one too.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I just downloaded the Famicom online app to play Joy Mech Fight.

Nintendo might be able to get away with releasing it as is. The Mysterious Murasame Castle was fine as the only text iirc is on the main menu. Joy Mech Fight has a bunch of dialogue and character/move names in Japanese but the menus are in English iirc and being a fighting game there's nothing you need to actually read during gameplay to play it.
From my recollection the story is quite brief and the menus are fairly simple. I haven't played the game in a while, but I don't think it would be that resource intensive to translate it. More than your standard NES-era platformer or puzzle game? Sure. But it's not even close to an RPG or visual novel.

If the reveal is more in line with Joker or Terry where there's no real gameplay, that seems possible. Or if they plan to release FP8 in 2020, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord

Yes.

Considering how long they've taken just to reveal just the first character for this pass and how long it's taking to reveal the second character, I would not be surprised if Fighter 7 and Fighter 8 are both done and ready for a double reveal. I'd even go as far as to say that a triple reveal with Fighter 9 as well isn't too far fetched at this point.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I'm sure if 2020 was a normal year and not one where we fell into a parallel dimension which consists only of hellish events we'd probably have the first 3 of the past at this point or 2 released, one around the corner, and the 4th about to be revealed.

Most likely Min Min would have been earlier. 2 fighters revealed at E3, 2 already released, 3 releasing around this time, and then one about to be revealed for a late fall/early winter release.
I dunno. Even without COVID, Min Min would still be pushed back because of the development issues brought on by her absurd range and unique control scheme. They said it themselves in the March direct. A CP8 reveal, sure, but I don't think CP8 would be releasing in September regardless of COVID.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Yes.

Considering how long they've taken just to reveal just the first character for this pass and how long it's taking to reveal the second character, I would not be surprised if Fighter 7 and Fighter 8 are both done and ready for a double reveal. I'd even go as far as to say that a triple reveal with Fighter 9 as well isn't too far fetched at this point.
Oh lord I am not ready for the sheer unbridled HYPE of a triple reveal

but at the same time I NEEEEEEED IIIIIT

to quote that meme: “OH, BABY, A TRIPLE! OH YEAH!”

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Triple reveal.

Geno, Waluigi, and Toad.

The entire world moans about Mario over-representation.

I have to break out my complaining about Mario and Pokemon in Smash is like complaining about Mickey Mouse and Princesses in Disney analogy for the 9000th time.

D

Deleted member

OH BABY IT'S A TRIPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I'd even go as far as to say that a triple reveal with Fighter 9 as well isn't too far fetched at this point.
No.

Not only does that sound too good to be true, but it could bite them in the butt with pacing issues.

Yeah, I don't expect FP8 to release this year.

If they do it'll be Christmas at earliest, but I don't think we're getting anyone than FP7 and Min Min this year.
I wouldn't throw in the towel until the second week of November. If there isn't a reveal by then, then it's safe to say it's 100% not coming this year.

Late, but I made an image based off of this.
You are now cursed with the knowledge that Sol has two right hands.

EDIT: I guess that makes him a...right hand man! :awesome:

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Triple reveal.

Geno, Waluigi, and Toad.

The entire world moans about Mario over-representation.

I have to break out my complaining about Mario and Pokemon in Smash is like complaining about Mickey Mouse and Princesses in Disney analogy for the 9000th time.
Fudge it.

This happens?

I'm changing the analogy. ''It's like complaining about X-Men and Spider-Man characters in a Marvel game. "

Yes, that's what I shall do.

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
No.

Not only does that sound too good to be true, but it could bite them in the butt with pacing issues.
I think Nintendo taking an absurdly long time to reveal a DLC pass is causing even worse pacing issues than if they were actually revealing the characters too many at a time.

At least the latter method would drum up some hype for a Pass that likely hasn't been selling too hot. It certainly worked for Capcom when they revealed a good chunk of Street Fighter V's Season 5 DLC characters at one time.

D

Deleted member

What if FP7 was... FP7?

I'm correct, no one can prove my statement wrong. Literally.

Last edited by a moderator:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master

Thinking about the alt universe where Sister Sonic actually happened and Popful Mail stuff became canon to sonic like Doki Doki Panic to mario.

Imagine how bizarre that would've been. We could have had Falcom developed Sonic RPG's if it went well.

Shroob

Sup?
Fudge it.

This happens?

I'm changing the analogy. ''It's like complaining about X-Men and Spider-Man characters in a Marvel game. "

Yes, that's what I shall do.
Funny, cause most recent Marvel games have had barely any Spidey, or Xmen, due to their movie rights being owned by Sony for the longest time, it's only recently they've been added back in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom