• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Also, real quick, I should mention my average equation (average of all three regions) is saying October 1st, 2020 or October 23rd, 2020 for a potential Fighter 7 release. However, I should mention that this is just math. So... certainly don't take this as gospel and it's just an approximation. So it certainly could be wrong, or off by a bit.
Yeah, that about lines up with my current estimation. An early October release, preceded by a presentation a week or two prior.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Moving on, I want to propose a game. Suppose you got to pick the remaining 5 fighters, but here's the kicker: you need to choose a fighter from each of these series:
  • Super Mario (No Donkey Kong/Wario/Yoshi)
  • Fire Emblem
  • Pokémon (No Mystery Dungeon since that's its own thing)
  • Kid Icarus
  • Metroid
Captain Toad/Toadette
Black Knight(Ike Echo)
Garchomp
Medusa(Palutena Echo)
Omega Metroid

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Moving on, I want to propose a game. Suppose you got to pick the remaining 5 fighters, but here's the kicker: you need to choose a fighter from each of these series:
  • Fire Emblem
  • Kid Icarus
  • Metroid
So... who would you pick?
Mine are Gooigi, Seliph (or Arvis), Gengar, Eggplant Wizard, and... uh... shoot I don't know any Metroid characters because I don't play that. I guess Kraid?
  • Any of the broodals, maybe a pokemon trainer kind of deal?
  • Anna
  • Grimmsnarl
  • Hades, I'd say Medusa but I don't know how you could make her not an echo.
  • Sylux

KillerCage

Smash Master
  • Fire Emblem
  • Kid Icarus
  • Metroid
Mine are Gooigi, Seliph (or Arvis), Gengar, Eggplant Wizard, and... uh... shoot I don't know any Metroid characters because I don't play that. I guess Kraid?
Paper Mario
Black Knight I guess?
Why no Mystery Dungeon? I would pick Grovyle in a heartbeat! I'll pick Gardevoir in his place.
Phosphora
Rundas
I would add:
  • Geno
    • He and Waluigi would both be interesting, but Geno wouldn't have to have his moveset be based somewhat on other characters in the roster, so Geno would be the fresher face.
  • Virion
    • I like the archer archetype in general, and Virion is my favorite archer in Fire Emblem. I'd prefer other picks but they require more than one moveset so they count as more than one character.
  • Arceus
    • I dunno why I want Arceus so much. It just...feels right, ya know?
  • Hades
    • Who says Hades has to be gigantic? He's the god of the underworld who can basically do whatever the heck he wants. Alongside his penchant for screwing with Pit, this could make for such a fun character.
  • Rundas
    • Ice is nice, and my idea for a Metroid would require more than one moveset.
• Geno
• Lyn
• Sirfetch'd
• Medusa
• Rundas (Haven't actually played much Metroid, but more cryokinesis users in Smash would be cool, imo)
  • Waluigi
  • Lyn (Runner-ups include Tiki, Ephraim, Edelgard, Lethe...)
  • Appletun (Runner-ups include Scizor, Golurk, and Aggron)
  • Phosphora
  • Rundas
Wow, my list is a lot more obscure than I thought.

[GASP]

Last edited:

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Guys. Forget Captain Syrup, forget the WarioWare OCs, THIS should be the next Wario rep!

C'mon, Wario World doesn't have ANY content in the game!
I adore Wario World. It has its flaws, sure, but it's a gem of a game. A lot of people probably wouldn't like an inclusion like this, but I unironically would. It's a shame Wario doesn't have any World content to go with him, even his moveset barely references it despite him having a moveset that would have translated seamlessly to Smash in that game. Would love it if he got an overhaul that changed a lot of his moves to the ones he had in World, while keeping Bike and the biker alts to keep the Warioware references too, but at this point I don't think that'll happen

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
  • Fire Emblem
  • Kid Icarus
  • Metroid
-Geno (if we're strictly going with Nintendo-owned Mario characters, then Fawful. The Mario RPGs could use more love in Smash)

-Edelgard (I've only played one route of Fire Emblem Three Houses, but she seems like she'd be important in all of them, and being a heavily-armoured axe wielder seems like it would be something different for Fire Emblem rather than just another sword lord)

-Grovyle (I'm not familiar with Pokemon beyond gen. 3, so I'm not sure which of the newer ones would be the best fit or are the most popular)

-Medusa (I haven't beaten Kid Icarus Uprising; while I'm aware of Hades, I'm not sure what he could do since the videos of his boss fight make him seem more like a stage than a direct fighter)

-Rundas (while I considered one of the Metroids, the Zeta Metroid seems like the best fit, and it's not exactly the most memorable. Maybe the Omega Metroid would work, but Rundas is cooler; pardon the pun)

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
Do you guys think Waluigi and Geno would be used as Leakbait, to obscure the "True characters" if Waluigi and Geno themselves are not Playable. It seemed that way with Geno before, if Seven Squares leak is any indication. Could they still be doing it?

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Do you guys think Waluigi and Geno would be used as Leakbait, to obscure the "True characters" if Waluigi and Geno themselves are not Playable. It seemed that way with Geno before, if Seven Squares leak is any indication. Could they still be doing it?
Maybe? I don't quite know how leakbait works exactly...

SKX31

Smash Master
I adore Wario World. It has its flaws, sure, but it's a gem of a game. A lot of people probably wouldn't like an inclusion like this, but I unironically would. It's a shame Wario doesn't have any World content to go with him, even his moveset barely references it despite him having a moveset that would have translated seamlessly to Smash in that game. Would love it if he got an overhaul that changed a lot of his moves to the ones he had in World, while keeping Bike and the biker alts to keep the Warioware references too, but at this point I don't think that'll happen
Checks MarioWiki

Cross references with SSSBWiki

:ultwario: does have several moves from World actually it turns out. Jab, Up Smash (this one is the jab finisher in World), his Chomp - as well as Back throw being a spin throw and Down throw being a ground pound (possibly Up-B too). Apparently several moves are borrowed from the Land games: possibly the "Raise the Roof" Up Tilt, N-Air, Dash Attack and grab.

He just doesn't shout "HAVE A ROTTEN DAY!" when throwing, and his general mannerisms don't scream Land / World, which is the issue many casual players have with his moveset. Waft especially since it's not been a thing in the Land series IIRC.

If competitive players (of which I'm personally leaning towards) raise any issues with Wario's moveset, it's most often because Waft can be too good and thus one starts out with 2 1/2 stocks against his 3. Oh, that and he has absurdly good air movement and really fast attacks. The "Raise the roof" Up Tilt / falling Up Air can confirm into Waft. Dabuz criticized Wario's design in his Playstyle Design tier list - to paraphrase him: "Everything leads to Waft".

EDIT: That said, I do agree that giving him more mannerisms etc. from Land / World would really help. The WarioWare design feels more... bland IMHO.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I mean I can see Ryu Hayabusa being leakbait to obscure Byleth - both are connected to Koei Tecmo

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
  • Fire Emblem
  • Kid Icarus
  • Metroid
Geno
Lyn
Toxtricity
Medusa
Kraid

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Do you guys think Waluigi and Geno would be used as Leakbait, to obscure the "True characters" if Waluigi and Geno themselves are not Playable.
Geno was truly just leakbait for Cinderace, the totally fresh new concept of a fire starter that everyone was dying to see. :nifty:

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
  • Fire Emblem
  • Kid Icarus
  • Metroid
King Boo
Donnel
Toxtricity
Hades
Kraid

7NATOR

Smash Master
I mean I can see Ryu Hayabusa being leakbait to obscure Byleth - both are connected to Koei Tecmo
Imagine that trade. and i think it's actually Plausible if Ryu isn't in FP2 at this point

Maybe? I don't quite know how leakbait works exactly...
It's pretty much Putting out the Name of a character (Not Playable) in the insider circles to get them to "Leak" the character, only the actual character isn't a Real Playable character. It's a tactic used for either Catching leakers and/or Obscuring the True Playable Characters

I don't think Leakbait can be used from a Company not in Smash (so something like Kratos being bait I don't think will happen since Sony might not be affiliated with Smash)

Leakbait could be used to obscure characters from Same company. It's also MIGHT be possible that a character can be used as leakbait for another Character from a Different company (not associated with Leakbait character company, and Vice Versa)

And even if the Leakbait character isn't Playable, that doesn't mean the name has any merit, it's just that they might be in Smash in another Role like Mii Costume or Spirit or etc. Slime is an Example of this in The Seven Square Leak, Though usually the Leakbait character might not be in Smash at all (Chrono, Sephiroth, Sora in Squares leak, Minecraft Content in Stuff relating to Banjo.)

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Checks MarioWiki

Cross references with SSSBWiki

:ultwario: does have several moves from World actually it turns out. Jab, Up Smash (this one is the jab finisher in World), his Chomp - as well as Back throw being a spin throw and Down throw being a ground pound (possibly Up-B too). Apparently several moves are borrowed from the Land games: possibly the "Raise the Roof" Up Tilt, N-Air, Dash Attack and grab.

He just doesn't shout "HAVE A ROTTEN DAY!" on release, and his general mannerisms don't scream Land / World, which is the issue many casual players have with his moveset. Waft especially since it's not been a thing in the Land series IIRC.
Yeah, I think the issue is he doesn't feel very Worldlike for some reason. A few more World moves would've helped

If competitive players (of which I'm personally leaning towards) raise any issues with Wario's moveset, it's most often because Waft can be too good and thus one starts out with 2 1/2 stocks against his 3. Oh, that and he has absurdly good air movement and really fast attacks. The "Raise the roof" Up Tilt / falling Up Air can confirm into Waft. Dabuz criticized Wario's design in his Playstyle Design tier list - to paraphrase him: "Everything leads to Waft".
I'm a competitive player too. I hate Waft lol. I'd like to see it get a slight nerf by either being harder to combo into, or not kill so early (I mean, you'd still go from 20 to like 80 if your opponent combo'd you into Waft at low %). I wouldn't want to gut it or anything, but it feels way overtuned at the moment.

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
  • Fire Emblem
  • Kid Icarus
  • Metroid
  • Waluigi
  • Dimitri
  • Cinderace
  • Viridi
  • The Baby Metroid

...Also, I see you have chosen Gooigi. That's some good taste ya got there.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
  • Fire Emblem
  • Kid Icarus
  • Metroid
Poochy (he was in Odyssey. Checkmate atheists!!!)
Leif
Inteleon
Eggplant Wizard
Zeela

:yoshi:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Waft especially since it's not been a thing in the Land series IIRC.
He's barely even farted in the WarioWare series. Only two moments I can think of are one microgame in Smooth Moves, and an interruption in Wario Interrupts in Gold. He's done more shoulder bashing in WarioWare than farting.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I really don’t think leak bait works in the way some folks suggest it does, as it wouldn’t really fit the hypothetical purpose.

The purpose would be to weed out leakers, not cover for the real pick.

Also the concept of “leakbait” started with “What if Incineroar was leak bait, grinch confirmed pog” and it’s never been substantiated.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I really don’t think leak bait works in the way some folks suggest it does, as it wouldn’t really fit the hypothetical purpose.

The purpose would be to weed out leakers, not cover for the real pick.

Also the concept of “leakbait” started with “What if Incineroar was leak bait, grinch confirmed pog” and it’s never been substantiated.
To be fair, Hero was surrounded by leak bait.

Like actual leak bait.

D

Deleted member

The Grinch times were annoying. I am so glad the leak ended up being fake.

Note: Not because of the characters, but because of the toxicity from the Grinch leak.

Last edited by a moderator:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
He's barely even farted in the WarioWare series. Only two moments I can think of are one microgame in Smooth Moves, and an interruption in Wario Interrupts in Gold. He's done more shoulder bashing in WarioWare than farting.
Most of Wario's moveset does 't even come from any Wario game! His aerials, tilts, Smash attacks. I don't think they come from any Wario Land/World/Ware game. It was all made up by the Smash team. Worse than that is his awkward animations. There's no reason for Wario to move in such a strange way. He's never walked or ran like that. So much of him was completely fabricated. He's not a good Wario Land rep AND he's not a good WarioWare rep either. He's a weird annoying little goblin thing. Nothing like Wario at all.

Droodle

Smash Lord
It's impossible to tell if a character is leakbait unless they get confirmed/disconfirmed, or the pass ends. So it's not even worth bothering to think about it.

That said, Nintendo has gotten really good with keeping Smash leaks under control. The last time a character was publicly leaked well ahead of time was Banjo. Terry was Nintendo's own doing, and Byleth was unknown to the likes of even Zhuge until like a day before the presentation. Arms (March) itself wasn't publicly leaked, but Min Min had some decent leaks going her way (but still no leaks well ahead of time).

Right now there are no widely supported leaks for 7 unless you buy the theory that Grub, Imran, and Andre are all teasing Geno like a certain group of fans are doing (but that happened back in July). The last "leak" we've gotten is NateDrake saying that he hasn't heard about anything indicating a Smash announcement soon (he knew about Min Min around the same time as the likes of Imran) and that was last friday.

So yeah, I'm willing to bet that this'll be another Byleth situation where most insiders aren't sure who 7 is (right now) or when they'll be revealed. My guess is next week at the earliest, but we may end up waiting till early October (hopefully not though).

SharkLord

Smash Hero
At the very least, Wario World have us the definitive Wario song.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Guys. Forget Captain Syrup, forget the WarioWare OCs, THIS should be the next Wario rep!

C'mon, Wario World doesn't have ANY content in the game!
Wario World is a criminally underappreciated game.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So that maintenance is over. What the hell even was it for???

Was small battlefield dropped at 11 PM EST? If it’s another such surprise update with a minor feature we’ll find out in a few minutes

D

Deleted member

Was small battlefield dropped at 11 PM EST? If it’s another such surprise update with a minor feature we’ll find out in a few minutes
It is...

BATTLEFIELD WITH ONE PLATFORM!

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
It is...

BATTLEFIELD WITH ONE PLATFORM!
I mean

that IS Small Battlefield pretty much

if we get another surprise stage tho I wouldn’t mind the Galeem/Dharkon final battle stage (minus the actual Galeem and Dharkon). Hackers play on it all the time

Shroob

Sup?
To be fair, Hero was surrounded by leak bait.

Like actual leak bait.
Gonna be straight with ya.

Not to sound conspiracy-ish, but how exactly can we trust Verg's Square Enix list?

Cause like, let's no kid ourselves, past the base game, he got 'REAL' shaky. He only got a single character if you ignore Hero, and Byleth he only knew mere moments before the presentation.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593

There was a Switch update with the fan favorite feature:

STABILITY!

Otherwise it was probably standard maintenance.

Goombaic

Smash Ace
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom