• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
SwSh has warmed up to me recently, so I would be quite happy with a Gen 8 Pokémon.

To be fair, I would be happy with pretty much anyone.
If there's one thing I'll give the game credit for, it's allowing you catch whatever you want, and truly mix and match your team throughout the game. It's why I had so much fun playing it. Still...knowing how much better the games could be is just depressing.

I don't want a Pokémon from the Sword & Shield, not because of my negative opinion on it, but because I just...really dislike Cinderace and Intelleon's designs.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
You have more fingers on one hand than Isaac supporters that seriously thought that was actually a thing.

Same as the whole Waluigi fanbase finding themselves under the bus for I think two? death threats sent to Sakurai.
the waluigi death threats and isaac earthquake theory are the quintessential "haha guys remember when x character's fanbase did x stupid thing hahahaha isn't x character's fanbase so dumb" of this community
I'm of those who think assists deconfirm, if anyone is gonna get upgraded it'll be Waluigi given how massive that outcry was.
i mean it's not like they have a blank reserved assist promotion spot or whatever

if isaac gets in over waluigi it's going to be on his own merits like any other character, not because he was the last man standing in a battle to the death between all 59 assists

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
really dislike Cinderace and Intelleon's designs
As much as I whine about Incineroar being too human, at least it doesn't have literal ****ing shorts. Does raising a Cinderace mean having to do laundry?

Calamitas

Smash Champion
If there's one thing I'll give the game credit for, it's allowing you catch whatever you want, and truly mix and match your team throughout the game. It's why I had so much fun playing it. Still...knowing how much better the games could be is just depressing.

I don't want a Pokémon from the Sword & Shield, not because of my negative opinion on it, but because I just...really dislike Cinderace and Intelleon's designs.
Sword and Shield aren't even that special in the regard of Pokémon variety. Black 2/White 2 and X/Y also did that.

As for me, I don't want a Pokémon from Sword and Shield because I just found the games to be extremely shallow and lackluster.

Cyberfire

Smash Journeyman
Changing the subject, here's a Fun Forum Game™. Click this link, whoever you get is FP7, no matter what you get.
https://nintendo.fandom.com/wiki/Special:Random
I got Kenta Kubo, developer of brain age. finally.
FP7 - Yoshiyuki Sawada
FP8 - Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Soundtrack
FP9 - Animal Crossing: New Horizons
FP10 - Gramps (Custom Robo)
FP11 - The Simpsons: Bartman Meets Radioactive Man

A programmer, the literal entire soundtrack for the game, ACNH, a Custom Robo character I can't even find a picture of on Google, and Bartman??

I... I don't even know how to make this work...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Speaking of IGN, I will never understand how "too much water" is a valid complaint about Omega Ruby and Sapphire.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
It's never a good idea to compare first and third parties. So much of how and why they get in can differ.
It is if the characters’s situations are similar enough.

That being said, the biggest thing that Sakurai has actually in terms of “relevancy” is that characters from franchises that don’t have a future are rarely chosen, and in terms of Smash 4 and Ultimate, that has held true for every newcomer of those games with the exception of those whose franchises originated from the 80’s. Even if :ultdarksamus: will never appear again in another non-Smash game, her franchise absolutely has a future.:ultbanjokazooie: may not have a new game right now, but their franchise has never really truly been abandoned, with several merchandise being made of them and the characters were still promoted. Having a future isn’t simply about having a game every other second, it’s about whether there are strong possibilities of future plans for that franchise. Castlevania and Mega Man were also franchises with clear future plans back when :ultsimon: and :ultmegaman: made their Smash debut (merchandise and Legacy Collection plus a planned cartoon for the latter and the Netflix Castlevania show for the former. It’s even in it’s third season). When people talk about “relevancy“, they always focus on the present when Sakurai cares more about the future.

The problem with Isaac is more fundamental than not merely having a new game as I explained in another thread, talking about why even a new game hypothetically being confirmed would change absolutely nothing

I’ll never count on the idea of Isaac as a promotional character. The only characters that got in as DLC are characters from franchises that had recent successful titles and this were safe choices as their franchises had brighter futures. We didn’t get a character like Chibi Robo, Henry Fleming or even the Inkling (despite the fact her franchise was always intended to be major) as Smash 4 DLC, but :ultcorrin:, and Fire Emblem Awakening was a recent success back in 2015 that saved the franchise. We didn’t get Akira Howard or the Ring Fit Trainee as the promotional DLC for Fighter Pass 1, but :ultbyleth: and Fire Emblem Heroes was one of Nintendo’s most profitable mobile game. Fire Emblem Warriors and Shadows of Valentia were also successful and all this was observable back in 2018. Therefore, both these characters would have been seen as “safer“ choices, and Nintendo isn’t about taking risks just because.

Not only are promotional DLC characters rare, but truthfully speaking, Isaac wouldn’t make sense as a promotional character. The issue here is that Golden Sun hasn’t had a successful title since 2002-2003 (the release dates of Lost Age) and its last title, released in 2010, was a commercial failure. Since then, practically nothing had been done with the franchise outside of minor cameos. Without a new, successful title (which there are none) there is simply no incentive for Nintendo to choose Isaac over characters from franchises with much more clearer futures, more recent successful titles and thus “more obvious marketability”. Even if the upcoming game ended up successful enough to save the franchise from extinction, it will only be relevant for the next game.

Unless the fan demand is strong enough for Nintendo to decide on Isaac, because that is currently really all he has at this point to convince them.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
As much as I whine about Incineroar being too human, at least it doesn't have literal ****ing shorts. Does raising a Cinderace mean having to do laundry?
It's less the clothing patterns in its design and more that if you plopped it into pretty much any kid-friendly fantasy setting it wouldn't look amiss.

Sword and Shield aren't even that special in the regard of Pokémon variety. Black 2/White 2 and X/Y also did that.

As for me, I don't want a Pokémon from Sword and Shield because I just found the games to be extremely shallow and lackluster.
I don't mean the variety itself, I've played Black 2, and X, but rather, the Wild Area really encourages experimentation I feel. I guess just this new way of going about the game got me to experience Pokémon's formula at its strongest.

But yeah, as a whole, the games are just...ugh. Especially the villain "plot".

"Leon's meeting with chairmen Rose? This is bad! We've gotta go get him!"
"Why? He's done literally nothing wrong yet."
"We won't let you see the chairman because reasons!"
Chairman Rose and Leon have a normal and rational conversation
"I've decided overnight that I'm going to be evil now. NONE CAN STO-oh, you've already stopped me."

Like with literally every plot that isn't the Gym Challenge, the game just seems to forget that it exists until it's absolutely necessary.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
i mean it's not like they have a blank reserved assist promotion spot or whatever

if isaac gets in over waluigi it's going to be on his own merits like any other character, not because he was the last man standing in a battle to the death between all 59 assists
Actually Isaac will be the Assist Trophy promotion character because all the other ATs mysteriously died in their sleep last night.

Nope, nothing fishy going on here. Nothing at all.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
https://imgur.com/cJyt11H

Boom. Added Issac and 3 others.

View attachment 285516
And here is a series icon for Sakura wars based on what I could make out from her kimono.
Now we are the real Super Slash Bros.

While we're in that topic, I've seen a suggestion that Adol would be someone who shakes up the general moveset formula, like havinh a walking jab like Mega Man and Min Min as well as a charge attack, plus a counter if hit during the charge attack. Is there anyone more well-versed in Ys that can confirm this? Because honestly, that could be pretty interesting.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Better Phantasy Star logos:

You can get rid of the anniversay stuff in the last one, the logo is suppose to be the Pioneer II, the Homebase spaceship in PSO1.
I dont see any images. :-( I will fix the icon though if there is a better one.
Also looking for 2 more. going to throw Kain and Raziel on the GAS image. Might stir some people up a bit there.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
You know, Had Smash Ultimate been a regular Smash game with the Regular Amount of Newcomers, I'm sure some of the Assists Already in the game would have been Playable...

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Shadow Hearts? Illussion of Gaia? Absurdly good taste

But where's Koudelka, and Live-A-Live, and Xenogears, and Legend of Legaia, and Terranigma, and Legend of Dragoon, and Wild Arms and...
Well. LoG and Wild arms are sony. But all I can say is
prepare to be assimilated.

But please be more specific on some of them.
Main character of Koudelka, and Live-A-Live and Terranigma please.
For the others.

Legend of Dragoon - Dart and Rose
Wild Arms - Going to go with the main character from 1 and jane. because I love her design.

Last edited:

I.D.

Smash Lord
Well. LoG and Wild arms are sony. But all I can say is
prepare to be assimilated.

But please be more specific on some of them.
Main character of Koudelka, and Live-A-Live and Terranigma please.
For the others.

Legend of Dragoon - Dart and Rose
Wild Arms - Going to go with the main character from 1 and jane. because I love her design.
I was just kidding (and trying to flex my knowledge on niche JRPGs...)

But in case you are curious the main characters are Koudelka (Koudelka), multiple protagonists (Live-A-Live, similar to Saga Frontier), Ark (Terranigma)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom