• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
The sad thing is that I don't its Nintendo laziness so much that they're still stuck in the thinking that this like the Zelda bonus disc from 2002/3 or the Super Mario All Stars Wii disc in 2010; just a limited time collection for long time fans that exists to celebrate the series. The problem with that is that that mindset doesn't understand that many people would prefer this (and are trying to look at it) as a long necessary port for older games that feels out of sync in comparison to other similar collections. Nintendo thinks of it as a nice anniversary item when many are viewing it as the first time they're playing these games ever or in a very long time.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I've never seen so many people so unhealthily obsessed with what time Nintendo tweets what
"Enjoy life" should also be a no-brainer. Being obsessed with video games is s thing, sure, but anticipating for news every day must get exhausting.
This. With video games at least, you can have fun and escape into a new world.

With Smash Speculation, it is just the same thing. Smash speculation is okay, but people need to STOP being so obsessed with it.

I would say being addicted to Smash Bros is better than being addicted to Smash speculation.

D

Deleted member

It's just characters in a video game, not your life.

What's the purpose of obsessing over this so much?

What will you achieve? If you go to society and say, "I PREDICTED CP7!!!".

Very little in society will actually care.

D

Deleted member

We all know it doesn't mean anything in the long run.

But it's fun.
I'm not saying you can NEVER speculate, I understand why it can be fun.

But I see people getting so emotionally negative over Byleth, and it makes me uncomfortable.

Last edited by a moderator:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Personally, I think the 3D All-Stars price point is fine. You're essentially paying $20 per game. That sounds about right for an HD upscale of Sunshine and Galaxy, but a little steep for a slightly prettier Mario 64. However, it's not like notably popular classic games haven't had elevate prices if when they were rereleased in the past. Earthbound, Metal Gear Solid, and FF7 were all priced higher than the other SNES games on VC and PS1 games on PS3. Granted, that may be a bit harder to swallow if you're only planning to play one entry and are forced to buy the other two to do that, but that's sort of what you get with HD collections.

I'm not going to defend the timed exclusive bull**** though. That's just a scummy way to create false scarcity on a product Nintendo knows will be in demand.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master

At this point, the only reason I'm here is trying to lay down some grassroots for newcomers I want in the next Smash game.
Like, the fact that Zelda got a game announcement or No More Heroes 3 got delayed hasn't at all affected the chances of them making it in Ultimate, but so long as it gets people talking, hopefully they'll actually get a chance next game.

SKX31

Smash Master
Hmmm....I think it’s mostly the same. Nothing really pops out. Dante is currently the second most wanted character in Japan after Sora. Monster Hunter takes third, Rex is fourth, 2B is fifth, and Crash is 6th. This was done via survey back in February but, from what I’ve seen and heard, it hasn’t changed much. Sword Art Online, Atlier, Puzzle & Dragon, Granblue Fantasy, and Dragalia Lost also do much better in Japan than in the West in terms of placing. On this survey, a Sword Art Online character got like 12 which was higher than Goku, Geno, and Reimu.
Not surprised that SAO places higher than those three. Its... contested quality aside, it's gotten a lot of stuff to its name. And its not like Sakurai's "No 4th party" comments have entirely stopped people. What I am surprised about though is Puzzle & Dragon. Guess it's because it's been a major presence in the mobile sphere for a while?

That said, it seems like it and Dragalia's presence suggests there's less resistance against mobile games than in the West. I'm not surprised honestly - mobile gaming and eSports have recently become a big deal in not just Japan, but also China, India and SEA (AFAIK). And apparently Nintendo helped host a Puzzle and Dragons tournament 5 years ago. (For the 3DS version, yes, but still.)

Still, the Puzzle and Dragons scene has apparently has had this happen:

Junior high school student Yuwa came in first place. The prize purse was 5,000,000 yen ($46,205)—none of which he received. Instead, he was given a trophy, a gaming headset, a year’s supply of chocolate almonds, and a year’s supply of Real Gold Dragon Boost energy drink.

Why didn’t he get any money? According to Japan’s pro-gaming license system, players between the ages of 13 and 15 can only compete under a junior license, which waives any right they have to receive prize money. Japan’s pro-gaming organization wants younger competitors to focus on their schoolwork. In Japan, compulsory education ends after junior high school.
It's honestly understandable why that happened though. Especially with a competitior that young.

There's still large groups of people who oppose the general mobile game formula on the same grounds as in the West (P2W being the main reason of course) - but mobile gaming is more prevalent overall, helping ensure that mobile eSports is more readily accepted:

“In Asia and China, the mobile phone is especially important in people’s everyday lives, even more so than in the West,” Jurre Pannekeet, market research firm Newzoo’s head of esports, tells Tech in Asia.

That, combined with increasingly sophisticated smartphones and competitive mobile games, such as Tencent’s smash hit Arena of Valor, “sets up the stage for mobile esports to become huge [in Asia],” he explains.
(Arena of Valor is Tencent's mobile LoL.)

The sad thing is that I don't its Nintendo laziness so much that they're still stuck in the thinking that this like the Zelda bonus disc from 2002/3 or the Super Mario All Stars Wii disc in 2010; just a limited time collection for long time fans that exists to celebrate the series. The problem with that is that that mindset doesn't understand that many people prefer this (and are trying to look at it as) a long necessary port for older games that feels out of sync in comparison to other similar collections. Nintendo thinks of it as a nice anniversary item when many are viewing it as the first time they're playing these games ever or in a very long time.
Now that you mention those two... oh yeah now that makes a lot of sense. Especially if one takes a view that Nintendo still largely operates as a toy company: Sure, a toy company might release their "Greatest Hits" every now and again, but the "Greatest Hits" are not a priority compared to the new shiny toy / game.

And I do agree that the mindset misses a lot - especially since the collection is very likely going to be hacked and then spread as ROMs since they'll be inaccessible after March. Sure, Nintendo's heavily anti-emulation policy slows it down, but they're hunting the proverbial hydra constantly.

Shroob

Sup?
Personally, I think the 3D All-Stars price point is fine. You're essentially paying $20 per game. That sounds about right for an HD upscale of Sunshine and Galaxy, but a little steep for a slightly prettier Mario 64. However, it's not like notably popular classic games haven't had elevate prices if when they were rereleased in the past. Earthbound, Metal Gear Solid, and FF7 were all priced higher than the other SNES games on VC and PS1 games on PS3. Granted, that may be a bit harder to swallow if you're only planning to play one entry and are forced to buy the other two to do that, but that's sort of what you get with HD collections.

I'm not going to defend the timed exclusive bull**** though. That's just a scummy way to create false scarcity on a product Nintendo knows will be in demand.
A part of me thinks this is exactly what they want to happen to be blunt.

Reveal said game is timed exclusive
People get angry
People buy the game out of fear of missing out
Near the end of its shelf life
"We've heard your complaints and the 3D Collection will be available indefinitely online."

TriggerX

Smash Ace
I think it speaks volumes when Activision, a company that's notoriously scummy, is able to get someone on board who not only shows an extreme love and care for the IPs that they're handling, but frankly turns them into some of the most gorgeous games out there right now. I'm not a graphics *****, but I've seen what 4k HD Spyro Reignited looks like, and that game is stunning.

Likewise... Nintendo upscales some graphics and gib 60 bucks.

Would I still buy the HD Collection? Probably, and I probably will. Do I think that it's an extremely lazy port and that they're forcing people into a "BUY NOW OR IT'S GONE FOREVEEEEEEEEEEER" mindset? That much is obvious.
I do agree, unfortunately the fact that people will still buy this collection is what reinforces the idea that this business tactic is a good one.

I guarantee this won't be the last time this happens either. Nintendo still has a few collections they can put together that their fans would shell out cash for like Zelda and to a lesser degree Paper Mario.

That being the case I am more curious to see what Nintendo's plans with their Virtual console catalog are.
The Switch should be able to at least play Gameboy, GBA, and N64 games no problem.

Although its possible their reluctance to increase the library might come from the possibility of wanting to do more remakes. I wouldn't mind an Oracle of Seasons/Ages remake if it were more in the vein of twilight princess/ breath of the wild styled gameplay versus the original top down.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I mean, this has still very clearly been Nintendo's worst year since the WiiU.

We've had only a handful of actually 'big' releases, and the rest are ports.

I'm excited for the Mario Collection as anyone else, but am I 60$ excited? 60$ excited for 3 games that aren't worth 60 bucks? 60$ excited for 3 games that aren't worth 60 bucks when Crash and Spyro both got full on remakes for their trilogies and are 40 bucks? On top of being a Limited time offer forcing people to have forced FOMO?

Eh, nah, my nostalgia ends with my wallet tbh.
That's not my point. There are people complaining about the lack of news when we just got a Mario Direct and the announcement of a new Zelda spin-off, which is getting a follow-up on the 26th. It's fine if none of that stuff interests you, but that's still news no matter how you look at it. Complaining about the lack of news from Nintendo doesn't make sense at this point.

Shroob

Sup?
That's not my point. There are people complaining about the lack of news when we just got a Mario Direct and the announcement of a new Zelda spin-off, which is getting a follow-up on the 26th. It's fine if none of that stuff interests you, but that's still news no matter how you look at it. Complaining about the lack of news from Nintendo doesn't make sense at this point.
I think people are referring to SMASH news in general, which, yeah, there is none.

We all know there's 'news', but it's also fair to say there's a drought because, if you're expecting Smash news, yeah, there's nothing.

I suppose people could word it better by saying there's no SMASH news sure, but this is the same community that uses rumor and leak interchangeably.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

Yeah! Stop having fun speculating on a Smash bros speculation thread and start being miserable!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yeah! Stop having fun speculating on a Smash bros speculation thread and start being miserable!
I never said you cannot speculate, speculation can be fun. What I am saying is that people take it way too seriously.

Look at the people that cried and raged all over Twitter because of Byleth.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

We live in a society where society’s society contemplates society’s impact on society and whether said society will society on if society is told that society is just a society.

I mean, it’s just fun to speculate about honestly? If you get it right it makes you feel good. No big implication like it’s going to change the world. What’s the point of anything if you’re only judging what you do based on how other people will react to it? That’s no way to live.

Shroob

Sup?
Another thing guys. We currently got 80+ characters. 80+!

Savor it while you can especially with fan favorites like:ultkrool::ultbanjokazooie:and:ultridley:
I mean, not like those 80+ are going anywhere.

If the next game is a massive shakeup, I kinda expect yet another community split to occur tbh.

You'll have Melee fans with the gameplay

Ultimate fans with the BEEG roster

And whatever comes after.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
The next character will come when they're ready. In the meantime, take advantage of the silence and play some other games. If Smash speculation is getting too tedious, go find another hobby you could do to fill the time. Maybe even take a break for a few days.

That's the best advice I can give. No point in torturing yourself by constantly reminding yourself how long it's been since the last Direct and/or Smash character. Trust me, there's plenty of better, more productive ways to spend your time than worrying about when they'll announce something interesting.

D

Deleted member

I mean to be fair, I have no life. I'm only getting worse, not better.

The reason why I made those posts is that I care.

Shroob

Sup?
The next character will come when they're ready. In the meantime, take advantage of the silence and play some other games. If Smash speculation is getting too tedious, go find another hobby you could do to fill the time. Maybe even take a break for a few days.

That's the best advice I can give. No point in torturing yourself by constantly reminding yourself how long it's been since the last Direct and/or Smash character. Trust me, there's plenty of better, more productive ways to spend your time than worrying about when they'll announce something interesting.
1599853964998.png

I dunno fam Smash speculation is my hobby and this train only stops when Sakurai pulls the brake.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I mean, not like those 80+ are going anywhere.

If the next game is a massive shakeup, I kinda expect yet another community split to occur tbh.

You'll have Melee fans with the gameplay

Ultimate fans with the BEEG roster

And whatever comes after.
And then there's weirdos like me who still play Brawl sometimes.

Look, SSE is really fun, okay. I miss singleplayer modes. :drsad:

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master

Play some other game?! :4pacman:

I just went 3-4 in a 7 game series versus a really strange but absurdly good Pika player who would use all kinds of recovery tricks and knew how to jab lock me into oblivion... but then also spent a good 30 seconds F-Smashing in place for no particular reason.

It was absolutely random, but sometimes online Smash can be ridicolously fun. Despite online being trash.

And then there's weirdos like me who still play Brawl sometimes.

Look, SSE is really fun, okay. I miss singleplayer modes. :drsad:
If I may ask, who do you usually pick in SSE?

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Especially considering Sunshine and Galaxy play nothing like 64 and were built with entirely different assets on different hardware. With Crash and Spyro the original three games in their respective series played and looked so similarly to each other that it wouldn't cost too much to remake all 3 of them at once.
In what world does Crash 1 play anything like 2 or 3? It's incredibly different from its sequels.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
If I may ask, who do you usually pick in SSE?
Well...

:wario: , :luigi2:,:mario2:, :olimar:, :samus2:,:dedede:, and :ganondorf: were usually my go-to characters whenever the game offered them as selectable. :lucario: and :fox: were ones I played a lot in SSE due to me not being super huge on :diddy: and :popo:.

For the decision between :peach: and :zelda:, I used to got with :zelda: because I just like her as a character more, but :peach: is way more fun to play as in Brawl so I'd probably go with her for most runs nowadays.

:metaknight: is my favorite out of the Brawl swordies because I like Kirby characters, and, well...He's Brawl MK, lol. :marth: was my favorite FE character in Smash before :ultlucina: and :ultbyleth: happened so I'd use him a fair amount in the swordie levels. :ike: is okay.

:squirtle: is my preferred Pokemon Trainer 'Mon 'cause :charizard: feels weird in Brawl and I hate playing Brawl :ivysaur:.

:link2: ain't too bad either, I'd usually pick him over :yoshi2:.

I do not like playing as Brawl :pit:.

:dk2: is okay.

I like :lucas: more than :ness2:.

:zerosuitsamus: Is 100% not my thing in Brawl and I will always choose :pikachu2: over her.

:falcon: is fun.

:bowser2: is fun.

:snake: is awesome when the game lets you play as him.

:gw: is fun.

:kirby2: is okay.

:rob: is pretty fun.

:sonic: is dope but you only get him for Tabuu. :c

:toonlink::jigglypuff::wolf: are postgame, but I like :toonlink: the most

Those are pretty much my thoughts on SSE characters. Although, I guess this post kind of morphed into a super short summary on my thoughts on nearly the whole Brawl roster, now that I'm looking at it. :p

TenghsienYang

Smash Cadet
Been playing Monster Hunter 3 on the Wii U recently, and I really appreciate having Rathalos as a boss now; never realized how faithful the boss battle was. I kind of get why there's no fighter representing the franchise because the games were never really about the player characters. I think a Felyne/Melynx/Palico would be a lot more suitable as a fighter, though.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
In what world does Crash 1 play anything like 2 or 3? It's incredibly different from its sequels.
I'm told the N'Sane Trilogy uses the 3rd game's physics for all three games. Can't speak to the originals though.

Do Mii costumes mean anything when discussing new characters?
It means that them and their series are disconfirmed. Some even say the entire company is disconfirmed, but I disagree with that.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I'm kinda hoping one of the remaining third parties is either Ragna or Sol. Entirely because it's going to bug me that Arc system works got involved in smash yet didn't have their fighting game guy fight in the same arena as Capcom, Sega (assist), Namco (Mii) and SNK's fighting game guys

Shroob

Sup?
I'm kinda hoping one of the remaining third parties is either Ragna or Sol. Entirely because it's going to bug me that Arc system works got involved in smash yet didn't have their fighting game guy fight in the same arena as Capcom, Sega (assist), Namco (Mii) and SNK's fighting game guys
I kinda feel like Guilty Gear is hella slept on. We already know that ArcSys gave Sakurai the rights to River City Ransom for a Spirit event, so the relationship is there.

RetroBro

Smash Ace
They're all based on the same engine from the same console is the point. You cannot create art assets for Mario 64 and apply them to Sunshine in the same way you can for Crash 1 to the sequels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom