• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
I wasn't calling you out for getting the names mixed up, I just legit thought I missed something Imran had said.

For what it's worth, I haven't seen the comment from Nate you're talking about either.

To be honest, makes sense.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797

To be honest, makes sense.
Yeah, seems about right to me. The Smash team gave themselves the deadline of December 2021, so they have a whole year and some change to get everything out.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
I do wonder when we are gonna hear about the 2021 line up? All we know for sure is Mario 3D World, but we do have anniversary's for both Pokemon and Zelda and most likely they are gonna all out with those.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Even if we know there's only one more character this year, the question is when.

As for the 3rd party reveals, hopefully they are frequent enough if they keep going with the short partner showcases. A 10 minute one at the end of each month would actually be pretty decent.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
IMO next week doesn't seem likely and I don't think we'll have Smash during the TGS main week, so I'm thinking early/mid October for the Smash character.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
I'm honestly kinda thinking we won't get anything smash related until next year but there is to much of this year left to completely count out this year so i'm not fully committing to either side.

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Is Mother considered a 2nd party franchise? I've been looking it up, but I can't find anything. I thought Itoi's company owns the rights to it, but is it like a 50/50 between Itoi and Nintendo?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I mean, unless they're planning on extending the final date, we're still gonna get 1 every 3 months next year, they kinda have to unless they finally come out and say they're delaying them, which they have yet to do.

ImranNate, who seemingly has some VERY good sources, says this is the last character of the year.
I meant we're probably not going to get a new character every two months like we did before. The only characters from the first pass who had a three month gap between them are Joker and Hero. All the rest came out every other month (July, September, November, January).

If I had to take a guess, we're probably getting a new character once every season (every three to four months). That would make sense, seeing as this pass was given two full years instead of a year and three months like the first. Not sure why one more extra fighter would require nine additonal months unless there was something that made Sakurai think it'd take longer to make the DLC.

SnowClaws

Smash Apprentice
Theory time.

Next week. We get a Smash reveal.

Week after, we get a partner direct.

Thoughts?
Pretty good, but here is my theory for next week and the week after.

Next week is the release of the third DLC pack "Symphony of the Mask" for Cadence of Hyrule.

The week after is going to be Dragalia Digest for the 2nd anniversary of Dragalia Lost (September 27) with the potential crossover announcement during the presentation. Last year, it was a MegaMan crossover announcement, and this year, it could be a another third-party crossover. Hopefully, it is another Capcom ip, something like Devil May Cry, Street Fighter, Resident Evil or Ace Attorney. Or if not Capcom, then maybe Persona 5 Joker.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
If you're already linking to an article on it, you could at least check what it says instead of just going by the headline. They just said that it would be expensive to make, not that it would be too expensive to make, period.

Theory time.

Next week. We get a Smash reveal.

Week after, we get a partner direct.

Thoughts?
Actually, we already know that the week after next one, we'll get more Age of Calamity news. Since it's around the time of TGS, I'm not sure if they'd drop a Partner Direct then.

Shroob

Sup?
If you're already linking to an article on it, you could at least check what it says instead of just going by the headline. They just said that it would be expensive to make, not that it would be too expensive to make, period.

Actually, we already know that the week after next one, we'll get more Age of Calamity news. Since it's around the time of TGS, I'm not sure if they'd drop a Partner Direct then.
Yeah, speaking of.

We know we're getting something Age of Calamity related not next week but the one after.

Aside from the 3D Mario collection coming out next Friday, we don't really have anything lined up.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Is Mother considered a 2nd party franchise? I've been looking it up, but I can't find anything. I thought Itoi's company owns the rights to it, but is it like a 50/50 between Itoi and Nintendo?
Given the copyright notices, Earthbound Zero is owned by Nintendo and Itoi, Earthbound by them and Ape (now Creatures, Inc), and Mother 3 by Nintendo, Itoi and HAL. So, yeah, you could consider it a 2nd party franchise, since all of the games (and probably the IP itself) are co-owned by an independent party (that being Itoi).

Shroob

Sup?
Apparently the Japanese Smash scene seems to think we could be getting an announcement tonight (9/11, Japan time) of a Monday reveal. I’m trying to figure out why and possibly who.
Wow, it's like for once we're on the same page. :191:

Maybe they're just putting the pieces together of: Amiibo Theory + Maintenance + The last couple weeks being reveals?

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Wow, it's like for once we're on the same page. :191:

Maybe they're just putting the pieces together of: Amiibo Theory + Maintenance + The last couple weeks being reveals?
Seems like it but they think it’s weird since usually it’s Wednesday night announcement and reveal Thursday night. I’ve noticed a few Japanese fans thinking it’s odd due to its being 9/11 and it being an important date in America. That being said, it seems Japan is really backing the idea of Dante being revealed. If not for F7, then eventually.

Shroob

Sup?
Seems like it but they think it’s weird since usually it’s Wednesday night announcement and reveal Thursday night. I’ve noticed a few Japanese fans thinking it’s odd due to its being 9/11 and it being an important date in America. That being said, it seems Japan is really backing the idea of Dante being revealed. If not for F7, then eventually.
That's always weird that the Japanese really think Nintendo caters to the west soo much. Like, it's been proven that Nintendo really does not give a **** about the 9/11 date(Haven't they released games on it in the past?)

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
That's always weird that the Japanese really think Nintendo caters to the west soo much. Like, it's been proven that Nintendo really does not give a **** about the 9/11 date(Haven't they released games on it in the past?)
It was a few people I noticed commenting on it. Not saying that it wouldn’t happen because of it but just odd timing. That being said, I don’t get that much of a vibe. Maybe a while back but not so much anymore.

Shroob

Sup?
I'm still skeptical of a announcement today.

It could definitely happen, and aside from the Mario 3D coming out next week on Friday, we currently don't have anything really lined up to be shown off, but the fact that the leak scene seems very, very dead in the water tonight has me cautious.

We knew Mario 35th was coming 3 days before
Imran teased HW BotW the literal day before

But there's just nothing alluding to this announcement tonight.

Arcane Jill

Smash Apprentice
Apparently the Japanese Smash scene seems to think we could be getting an announcement tonight (9/11, Japan time) of a Monday reveal. I’m trying to figure out why and possibly who.
Wouldn't surprise me, seems to fall into the usual time of the month for Nintendo to announce such a thing (even though its been anything but usual this year). 99% sure cp7 will be released before 2021.
Are you guys expecting a 1st or 3rd party for cp7? Personally, I'm feeling like it will be a 3rd party this time.

Shroob

Sup?
Wouldn't surprise me, seems to fall into the usual time of the month for Nintendo to announce such a thing (even though its been anything but usual this year). 99% sure cp7 will be released before 2021.
Are you guys expecting a 1st or 3rd party for cp7? Personally, I'm feeling like it will be a 3rd party this time.
If this was meant to be one of the E3 reveals alongside MinMin, I feel like there's no way it's not a 3rd party. 2 1st parties for E3 seems like a huge stretch when the well for BIG 1st parties is fairly dry outside of a few outstanding cases.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I'm still skeptical of a announcement today.

It could definitely happen, and aside from the Mario 3D coming out next week on Friday, we currently don't have anything really lined up to be shown off, but the fact that the leak scene seems very, very dead in the water tonight has me cautious.

We knew Mario 35th was coming 3 days before
Imran teased HW BotW the literal day before

But there's just nothing alluding to this announcement tonight.
I am as well but in skeptical of all rumored announcements. It’ll happen when it happens. I prefer not to get my hopes up so I keep myself perpetually under hyped

Shroob

Sup?
I am as well but in skeptical of all rumored announcements. It’ll happen when it happens. I prefer not to get my hopes up so I keep myself perpetually under hyped
But man, I could use a shot in the arm I'll tell ya what. I'm very certain that CP7 is done at this point, I'd be shocked if it wasn't, and it feels like they're just... holding it for no apparent reason, kinda like how they seemingly held the Mario presentation since bloody April.

Maybe they're just trying to reveal stuff closer to release nowadays, but, just drop the damn trailer, I don't think we'd mind that much if you made us wait another month if we just knew who it was.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I think the first Super Mario Maker game was released on that date.

At least if I recall, people made some remarks on that game's release date..

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I have my suspicions that there may be something Smash related around or before the new amiibo are released in Japan so let's look to the week starting Monday 21st.

Heck, we might even get two characters revealed, in the spirit of an event long past.

Shroob

Sup?
I have my suspicions that there may be something Smash related around or before the new amiibo are released in Japan so let's look to the week starting Monday 21st.

Heck, we might even get two characters revealed, in the spirit of an event long past.
I'm a bit skeptical of that week since that's when they're going to dump news on Hyrule Warriors, and so far, their 'pattern', if you can even call it that, seems to be focusing on 1 big info drop a week(Nindies Showcase > Partner Showcase > Mario Direct > Hyrule Warriors reveal). Likewise, until Friday of this upcoming week, this week's gonna be completely dry.

It's definitely possible, but we'll just have to see what happens.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
A lot of companies in Japan, especially large ones, are being heavily impacted by COVID-related restrictions. My friend works as a translator for Line and he’s been working from home since January. Thankfully, they bought him a standing desk, copier/scanner/printer, and a coffee maker lol.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I do love though how the Speculation side of Smash seem to basically be mirror images of one another in terms of how we act.

Us English speakers always toss around "Japan bias"

While I've seen countless times Japanese players think they cater to America.

Us speculation folk.... we ain't so different after all.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I do love though how the Speculation side of Smash seem to basically be mirror images of one another in terms of how we act.

Us English speakers always toss around "Japan bias"

While I've seen countless times Japanese players think they cater to America.

Us speculation folk.... we ain't so different after all.
Don’t ask a Japanese Fortnite player about Western bias. That’s a salt mine right there. Actually, getting a Fortnite two would appeal to both sides technically. While also probably making fans upset.

Shroob

Sup?
Anyway, I'm not expecting anything today.

Hopeful of course, but with how quiet everyone in the leak scene has been... I'm not holding my breath, and if we don't get something tomorrow, we can probably write the next 2 weeks off.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Personally, I’m kind of settling on the beginning of October with a mid October release. That seems more likely in my opinion with the third character in December or February.

Though I would imagine if that’s the case, everyone would be like this...

:snakefire:

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
what genres are your most wanteds from?

Grovyle - While technically debuting in a FinalFantamon, he really started mattering in the MysteryDungeon game Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers.

Maxwell - Tetriscrush

Bandana Dee - a hybrid between a Marionic and a RiverStreet
Travis Touchdown - Hack and Slash
Axel Stone - Beat em' up
Crono - Japanese Role Playing Game
Klonoa - Platformer
Crash Bandicoot - Platformer
Sgt. Cortez - First Person Shooter

what was the worst smash bros. mode/feature that was removed in future titles

for me personally, spectator mode is worthless without glorious gambling
I can tell you which mode I do miss that was removed.

Coin_launcher.jpg

Coin Launcher from Brawl. I spent so much time collecting trophies here and it was really addicting. I loved it, I'm sad it's gone now and there is no chance Sakurai will bring it back now.

Staarih

Smash Master
I'm a bit skeptical of that week since that's when they're going to dump news on Hyrule Warriors, and so far, their 'pattern', if you can even call it that, seems to be focusing on 1 big info drop a week(Nindies Showcase > Partner Showcase > Mario Direct > Hyrule Warriors reveal). Likewise, until Friday of this upcoming week, this week's gonna be completely dry.

It's definitely possible, but we'll just have to see what happens.
The day we get more info on HW: AoC (Sept 26) is a Saturday and coincides with TGS so I suspect it may be more of a Koei Tecmo focused showcase of it, I feel like Nintendo rarely does weekends. But as a Nintendo IP it'll still be major I guess, and it could just be another YouTube video in which the day doesn't really matter. But anyway, I wouldn't count that week out in regards to other announcements (like Smash) and personally I find that week the most likely for it, since next week is gonna likely be building up for the release of the Mario collection. Unless we suddenly get something today but we'll know soon enough I guess.

Shroob

Sup?
The day we get more info on HW: AoC (Sept 26) is a Saturday and coincides with TGS so I suspect it may be more of a Koei Tecmo focused showcase of it, I feel like Nintendo rarely does weekends. But as a Nintendo IP it'll still be major I guess, and it could just be another YouTube video in which the day doesn't really matter. But anyway, I wouldn't count that week out in regards to other announcements (like Smash) and personally I find that week the most likely for it, since next week is gonna likely be building up for the release of the Mario collection. Unless we suddenly get something today but we'll know soon enough I guess.
This is true, I completely forgot that the day HW news gets dumped is on a Saturday.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
the "nmh3 delay means travis' chances dropped" thing a couple pages back is exactly what i was talking about yesterday: we're so laser-focused on "do they have a new game coming out?" that we completely forget any other merits a character might have to their inclusion
Literally only one newcomer character got in to promote a new game. These types of characters are the exception, not the rule. Heck, some of these newcomers haven’t even appeared in a new title outside of Smash for over a decade before being playable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom