• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
I think regardless of when CP7 comes out, they're the last drop of the year and we're getting the last 4 in 2021, barring any Covid delays.

I will say, I think a reveal/release is likely next week, but I'm not holding my breath.

These last 3 weeks, we've gotten 'something' dropped on our heads one after another:

Partner Direct(2 weeks) > Mario 35th(1 week) > BotW HW(recent)

So it wouldn't be the most outlandish thing to think that 'maybe' we'll get something next week, considering there's maintenance and all that, but don't get your expectations super high.

At this point, the only thing we can say for certain is that we're probably still getting at least 1 more character this year, but as to when? **** if I know.

Honestly, the most damning thing is, that the Maintenance is this coming Monday, meaning if we are getting something, then the announcement has to be this week, unless it's a shadowdrop.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
the "nmh3 delay means travis' chances dropped" thing a couple pages back is exactly what i was talking about yesterday: we're so laser-focused on "do they have a new game coming out?" that we completely forget any other merits a character might have to their inclusion

Shroob

Sup?
Honestly, the most damning thing is, that the Maintenance is this coming Monday, meaning if we are getting something, then the announcement has to be this week, unless it's a shadowdrop.
This is actually something I don't think I can stress enough.

Usually from memory(But my memory's bad so), most Smash releases have coincided/came before Switch Maintenance, and we have one scheduled for the 14th.... but that's Monday.

So, wouldn't that imply that, if they're not going to just shadow drop this on our heads with 0 prior warning, that they'd need to announce the Presentation this week sometime?

Calamitas

Smash Champion
And to think - it has almost been half a year since we learned that FP7 would be from ARMS.

These last 3 weeks, we've gotten 'something' dropped on our heads one after another:

Four weeks. The week before the Partner Direct had an Indie World.

Usually from memory(But my memory's bad so), most Smash releases have coincided/came before Switch Maintenance, and we have one scheduled for the 14th.... but that's Monday.

So, wouldn't that imply that, if they're not going to just shadow drop this on our heads with 0 prior warning, that they'd need to announce the Presentation this week sometime?
Min Min was revealed (and I think released?) on a Monday. So if they announce a Sakurai presents this Friday for next Monday, this could still shake out.

XorahnGaia

Smash Journeyman

They could repeat what they did with the "Sakurai presents an Arms characters" stream: an announcement on Friday with a reveal the following Monday.

Something else to consider is that Nintendo will hold some kind of meeting with its investors on the 16th. I don't know enough about their normal schedule to know if is something out of the ordinary or if business as usual, but while I'm sure that it has nothing to do with Smash on its own, I wonder if it could prevent them from making any other kind of announcement next week.
I mean, we know that we're not getting any major news from them for the rest of the year, but an announcement to keep the investors happy (like a new mobile game or a movie/theme park deal with another company) it's not out of the question.

Heoj

Smash Ace
What are the chances for a sakurai presentation announced on friday and then fp7 announced on monday.
Wasnt minmin announced like that as well.
I feel like theirs a decent chance

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

Interesting, very interesting...

I.D.

Smash Lord
Monster Hunter Switch is probably real after all and looks like Prince of Persia will be skipping the console.

D

Deleted member

the "nmh3 delay means travis' chances dropped" thing a couple pages back is exactly what i was talking about yesterday: we're so laser-focused on "do they have a new game coming out?" that we completely forget any other merits a character might have to their inclusion
This. Remember the DLC was decided in the past before this announcement, and I don't think DLC is chosen just because they have a new game. So Travis is still safe.

People need to remember that he doesn't just pick a DLC because the series is very iconic and popular, he also picks it based off of playstyle.
Get ready for the pokemon mini direct next week :troll:
That would be nice, actually.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Don't read too much into it; its probably just a hint of the game coming to Switch and not necesarily to Smash. We got Rathalos already in the base game. Kinda feel like if they had any intention to add more than that, it would have been done during Fighter Pass #1. Not impossible to add someone now, but I wouldn't take the bet either.

osby

Smash Obsessed

Monster Hunter still feels like the likeliest Capcom character to me. It's just a hunch but at least ARMS showed that minor content in the base game isn't going to prevent anyone from getting in.

D

Deleted member

I think regardless of when CP7 comes out, they're the last drop of the year and we're getting the last 4 in 2021, barring any Covid delays.

I will say, I think a reveal/release is likely next week, but I'm not holding my breath.

So it wouldn't be the most outlandish thing to think that 'maybe' we'll get something next week, considering there's maintenance and all that, but don't get your expectations super high.

At this point, the only thing we can say for certain is that we're probably still getting at least 1 more character this year, but as to when? **** if I know.

Keep up the good work, detective.

I think a Smash announcement is very likely this week, but if it is not this week, I can see it happening somewhere around later September, or early October. Either way, we are drifting very close to a Smash announcement.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Don't read too much into it; its probably just a hint of the game coming to Switch and not necesarily to Smash. We got Rathalos already in the base game. Kinda feel like if they had any intention to add more than that, it would have been done during Fighter Pass #1. Not impossible to add someone now, but I wouldn't take the bet either.
That's not what I was referring to. As said in the tweet, it's notable that Capcom is suddenly promoting their Nintendo MH games in the lead up to TGS, especially after focusing on World for the past two years.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
That's up to debate.

Min Min skipped the first pass and became playable in the FP2, despite ARMS also having content in Ultimate when it came out.

andree123

Smash Ace

I mean, it makes sense.

BUT ALSO WHEN IS SMASH?!?
Where is Kirby's new 2020 game?

I’m still banking on early-mid October for our next character. There’s nothing going on all month until the very end with Pikmin 3, and there’s also the amiibo launching at the beginning of the month. Seems the most plausible

D

Deleted member

That's not what I was referring to. As said in the tweet, it's notable that Capcom is suddenly promoting their Nintendo MH games in the lead up to TGS, especially after focusing on World for the past two years.
Oh ok, my bad; misunderstood.

That's up to debate.

Min Min skipped the first pass and became playable in the FP2, despite ARMS also having content in Ultimate when it came out.
That's fair I guess. Honestly still confused as to why they only did a Spring Man trophy and not the character himself in the base game if they were just going to turn around later and add a character in anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Plus character planning was already finalized long before the delay was decided on. They're not gonna wait for NMH3 to come out if Travis was chosen.

That's fair I guess. Honestly still confused as to why they only did a Spring Man trophy and not the character himself in the base game if they were just going to turn around later and add a character in anyway.
They weren’t originally planning on doing a second pass and Sakurai has gone on record saying he would’ve included an Arms character and Rex from Xenoblade 2 in base game if the timing lined up better. So with FP2 he had to chance to retroactively add an Arms character. Also why lots of people are hoping for Rex

Last edited:

I.D.

Smash Lord
This has already been explained by Sakurai: he had knowledge of some games being developed while he was working on Ultimate and added some content from them, but adding a character was out of the question because the roster had been finalized during planning. The second fighters pass was decided some time after the release of Smash Ultimate.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I imagine it's because adding an Assist Trophy is a lot easier than adding a fully unique fighter and they had time constraints.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Monster Hunter still feels like the likeliest Capcom character to me. It's just a hunch but at least ARMS showed that minor content in the base game isn't going to prevent anyone from getting in.
You might be right but it’s a weird situation. Arms was a new IP that released during Ultimate’s development, on top of being a Nintendo IP which makes it incredibly easy to just add whenever.

Monster Hunter is a long running third party IP. I have to imagine that Capcom & Nintendo atleast played around with the idea of a playable MH character, but decided against it for some reason. They could always change their minds, but I sort of doubt it.

I’d be down for a playable Hunter though. They’re not my top Capcom choice (I’d prefer Jill/Leon, Dante & Haggar first) but they could have a fun moveset. It’d be a deserving pick too; MonHun is a huge series that’s only getting bigger & it has a big history with Nintendo.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 I remember you too were interested in the return of Prince of Persia after the listings. It's finally been properly leaked bro, Prince of Persia is back. I'm definitely gonna be watching Ubisoft's presentation today to see more info about the game.

There was a problem fetching the tweet
You know, for a franchise as well known as Prince of Persia, I know nearly nothing about him. I know you've expressed wanting him in Smash before, but outside of acrobatics, a water sword and reversing time, what would he bring to the table moveset wise?

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I've been thinking about MH a lot lately too. It's in a situation quite similar to ARMS with the added benefit of being a huge IP for Capcom. While it's hard for me to count Dante out because of all the things surrounding him that IMO make him a super likely candidate, MH is the only Capcom franchise I could believe get in over DMC.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
An ARMS character was ALSO intended (or at least, considered) for the base game They could totally’ve done Spring Man with the Plant if they wanted. And, you know, not an AT.
No, they couldn't have. Do you even play the game enough to see how limited AT behavior is compared to a fighter CPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom