• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Welp, if we get a direct tomorrow it’s probably gonna be a March style mini

which means more than likely... another guessing game. [grumble]
We're not getting a Direct tomorrow, mini or general, they just announced the November game yesterday...

Also, the guessing game happened once. Don't have that make you look past the other like three dozen times it didn't.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
The guessing game happened once because it was the only time it made sense and the clinging onto it and thinking it's in any way probable that it's going to happen again is the most ridiculous **** I've seen in post-base-game spec like....cmon y'all

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
Question: You guys think Capcom, Namco, and Square will get new Mii Costumes? in addition to the Old Returning ones still missing

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Question: You guys think Capcom, Namco, and Square will get new Mii Costumes? in addition to the Old Returning ones still missing
Capcom = probably a Viewtiful Joe costume if that exchange between Sakurai and Kamiya about Joe is an indication
Square = Geno and Chocobo will return. Maybe Sephiroth as a new costume, or 2B. Just pls don’t let Neku be a costume
Namco = Lloyd and Gil will probably have their costumes return. New ones could be Klonoa, Nightmare or Chosen Undead. Please spare KOS-MOS this fate...

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Honestly, I'm thinking Geno's Mii costume is coming back. We were talking about gut feelings earlier, and that's what my gut's telling me.

Don't quite know about the others, though.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Most of them are probably coming back, aside from maybe Lloyd. For new ones, I could easily see Viewtiful Joe for Capcom, plus possibly Phoenix Wright and more Mega Mans (Mega Men?). On Bandai-Namco's side, I could see a Dark Souls Mii (Assuming we don't get a playable character from them), as well as KOS-MOS, Nightmare, and perhaps WarGreymon to complete the whole set. For Square, Neku, a Bravely character, Tifa, and Crono would translate pretty easily. Sephiroth and 2B would be a bit more of a stretch to Mii, but not to the point that it couldn't happen.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Most likely yes. Also we'll probably get the Monster Hunter, Geno and Lloyd outfits even if they do become characters.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Now for a somewhat tangent topic

will Konami get any new costumes after Goemon? How about Microsoft (including subsidiaries like Conker or Ori)?

SNK...they already got their big ones like Iori and Nakoruru. Least I can see is a Kyo costume but I doubt it

7NATOR

Smash Master
The reason I ask the question (Probably should have mentioned this) is that those 3 currently have missing costumes.

However One thing I noticed is that When New Companies enter DLC for Ultimate, they usually get 3-4 Costumes related to the character or Company. This fits perfectly with one company's (Capcom, Square, Namco) pair of returning costumes to return.

Banjo is the Exception, and I imagine it had something to do with Rare, or just Western company or something. at least with New Japanese Companies, they actually get costumes.

But pretty much, I'm trying to find what company is likely to be the Red herring.

will Konami get any new costumes after Goemon? How about Microsoft (including subsidiaries like Conker or Ori)?

SNK...they already got their big ones like Iori and Nakoruru. Least I can see is a Kyo costume but I doubt it
Considering there were not even any New Rare costumes that came with Banjo, perhaps there might not be Microsoft costumes. However I'm not gonna count it out. perhaps they are saving it if Microsoft character was in this pass, though I think they'd at least save one for Banjo, especially if one was conker.

Goemon was probably made for Simon/Richter, and was only DLC because all 3rd party costumes are DLC. I can see them perhaps getting more, especially if they were to get another character this pass.

SharkLord

Smash Hero

Konami's probably willing to give someone like Bill Razer, Bomberman, or Raiden. Microsoft already gave out Cuphead, so another Micro rep sounds reasonable too. SNK already got their big names out, but I could see a couple Miis popping up here and there.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I’d like to see a Rising Raiden costume if he doesn’t become playable if Konami gets a new Mii costume
As much as I'd want Raiden playable, he probably isn't. He'd at least be a good way to bookend Snake by being the last character in the pass, or at least the last third-party, but I'm not sure if that's something Nintendo or Sakurai really cares about.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Konami's probably willing to give someone like Bill Razer, Bomberman, or Raiden. Microsoft already gave out Cuphead, so another Micro rep sounds reasonable too. SNK already got their big names out, but I could see a couple Miis popping up here and there.
Now mentioning Cuphead, I do think it's weird that Cuphead didn't come with Banjo, but instead with Byleth, when Cuphead makes more sense being with Banjo (even if Microsoft doesn't own Cuphead)

I guess they really wanted Sans to be the First Mii Costume, because they knew that Sans is Mans

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
NGL the information drought is getting obnoxious now. It's been over 8 months since the pass went on sale and we only know one character. Yeah I get there's a pandemic going on but a simple reveal on who the next character is more than enough. You don't have to wait like two weeks before the character is gonna be released or something. They did this for both Byleth and Min Min and in both cases it was tiring.

D

Deleted member

I hear your Laharl and raise you a Christo
Not hating on Christo but there are a thousand more Disgaea characters that would be ahead in line to make it in before him
whether he's actually Disgaea 1's Seraph Lamington or not

Last edited by a moderator:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
NGL the information drought is getting obnoxious now. It's been over 8 months since the pass went on sale and we only know one character. Yeah I get there's a pandemic going on but a simple reveal on who the next character is more than enough. You don't have to wait like two weeks before the character is gonna be released or something. They did this for both Byleth and Min Min and in both cases it was tiring.
Isn't it clear? Nintendo just likes to tease us over and over again.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
The guessing game ain't happening again lol.

The only other series it'd work for is another fighting game or Pokemon. Heck, only reason ARMS was a guessing game in the first place was because they wanted to use it as an ad for ARMS, Min Min needed more time, and they wanted to keep people interested. Unless those very specific set of circumstances come up again, I really, really don't think we need to worry about a guessing game.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
The guessing game ain't happening again lol.

The only other series it'd work for is another fighting game or Pokemon. Heck, only reason ARMS was a guessing game in the first place was because they wanted to use it as an ad for ARMS, Min Min needed more time, and they wanted to keep people interested. Unless those very specific set of circumstances come up again, I really, really don't think we need to worry about a guessing game.
And League of Legends.

Shroob

Sup?
I'm fairly confident by now that this week's a bust.

We could absolutely get something next, it wouldn't even surprise me since we got the Mario presentation and the Zelda game effectively back to back, but if we go to the 14th with no news, I'm probably writing this month off.

D

Deleted member

You sound confused lol. There's a popular theory around...or was around when Disgaea 5 was still 'new'....that the game was actually based more in the past and that Christo...who admitted to not using his real name to blend in with everyone.....goes on to be Seraph Lamington later on, which explains the Seraph's acceptance of Demons as opposed to everyone else thinking they're all monsters driven purely by violence. They share the same voice actors as well and, though a small detail, their birthdays are exactly 7,000 years apart with the story of Disgaea 5 placing 7,000 years before Disgaea 1.

Red Magnus was theorized to actually be a distant past relative of Overlord Zetta too. His drive to be the strongest.....later achieved by the 'Badass Freakin' Overlord Zetta'.....their hairstyles being somewhat similar......and them having a Combo Special with one another was the fuel for the rumor. I don't really buy too much into the Magnus theory, but the Christo theory is fairly accepted among fans.

The DLC is never really considered Canon since it messes with timelines and Axel, from Disgaea 2, has made an appearance main game in Disgaea 2, 3, 4, and D2 but never has any reference to past appearances.

EDIT: Looked it up to double check what I was saying. Small fix: In the 'end credits story' Christo did admit that he was using a fake name and it was directly stated he went on to become Seraph later, so there was some very heavy hinting towards this theory. Also, it is confirmed that the Disgaea 5 storyline comes well before (7,000 years) the Disgaea 1 story.

EDIT 2: Forgot the last hint they had in Disgaea 5. In his end credit story section where it mentions he went on to become Seraph, it said he was involved in a big incident involving the '3 worlds'. Disgaea 1's story heavily involved the Human world, Demon world, and Celestia so it was just one more hint towards the connection.

Last edited by a moderator:

SKX31

Smash Master
oh lord can you imagine? unless they pick their ABSOLUTE MOST POPULAR CHAMPIONS only (Ahri, Jinx, Yasuo, Ezreal, Akali, Teemo, Sona and a few others) it'll be insanity lmao
Shudders and imagines entire websites and forums in flames. Twitter, Weibo, Inven, all going nuts.

Well, we should keep an eye out on K-Pop Gang then:

That said, going to keep an eye out if they do announce any Switch projects at the upcoming World Championship (Sep 25th - Oct 31st). Not expecting any Smash news there of course, but considering the job listings and the sheer amount of projects they are doing, I do find LoL as an IP coming to the Switch kind of likely.

Munchi

Smash Journeyman
You sound confused lol. There's a popular theory around...or was around when Disgaea 5 was still 'new'....that the game was actually based more in the past and that Christo...who admitted to not using his real name to blend in with everyone.....goes on to be Seraph Lamington later on, which explains the Seraph's acceptance of Demons as opposed to everyone else thinking they're all monsters driven purely by violence. They share the same voice actors as well and, though a small detail, their birthdays are exactly 7,000 years apart with the story of Disgaea 5 placing 7,000 years before Disgaea 1.

Red Magnus was theorized to actually be a distant past relative of Overlord Zetta too. His drive to be the strongest.....later achieved by the 'Badass Freakin' Overlord Zetta'.....their hairstyles being somewhat similar......and them having a Combo Special with one another was the fuel for the rumor. I don't really buy too much into the Magnus theory, but the Christo theory is fairly accepted among fans.

The DLC is never really considered Canon since it messes with timelines and Axel, from Disgaea 2, has made an appearance main game in Disgaea 2, 3, 4, and D2 but never has any reference to past appearances.

EDIT: Looked it up to double check what I was saying. Small fix: In the 'end credits story' Christo did admit that he was using a fake name and it was directly stated he went on to become Seraph later, so there was some very heavy hinting towards this theory.

I see I have to say that although I play the games I'm not very into what the community does and in general I have never been very involved in theories in general but Christo's theory is quite interesting and I consider the DLCs more as references and way to play with those characters

D

Deleted member

I see I have to say that although I play the games I'm not very into what the community does and in general I have never been very involved in theories in general but Christo's theory is quite interesting and I consider the DLCs more as references and way to play with those characters
Yeah, thats pretty accurate as far as DLC goes. The Christo one is really the only theory out there with anything behind it since it was so heavily hinted. Anything else has just been fun speculation on the fanbase's part. It's definitely easier to see if one has played both games, that's for sure.

Munchi

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, thats pretty accurate as far as DLC goes. The Christo one is really the only theory out there with anything behind it since it was so heavily hinted. Anything else has just been fun speculation on the fanbase's part. It's definitely easier to see if one has played both games, that's for sure.

Certainly once you think about it it makes sense but when playing Disgaea 5 I did not have very fresh the history of Disgaea 1

Droodle

Smash Lord
I know it's a strange time and all, but it's just confusing how out of tune Nintendo has been. I know from insiders statements, that Nintendo was extremely unprepared for COVID; but it's just annoying that they can't give us a solid update on certain things, and pretty much hold off on telling us anything until the literal last second. Even Mario's 35th anniversary and HW 2 ended up being shadowdropped, when they (at least Mario) should have been revealed back in August at the latest.

It's also annoying that we are 8 months in from a presumed 23 month development timeline, with 1 fighter to show for it; and 5 fighters still unrevealed. At this point, I'm pretty sure Fighter 7 should be done or at the very least at the last stages of development; but I feel that Nintendo should just give us a heads up for when we can expect more info about the character to drop, officially. They don't have to reveal the character, but just say something like "more info relating to character 7 will be released in late September/October". So we can actually have an idea for how long we are waiting for.

At the very least, TGS will happen soon and likely give us a lot more 3rd party news on the Switch; and likely a MH announcement.

PLANTMAN

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
3314-3608-8898
Well, a Spirit Event popped up just now meant for the weekend.

It's getting a little Hair-y.

Okay, time to do a challenge run: beating up Pauline using Bayonetta with Zero + Azura as the Spirit loadout.

(Wish me luck, this is going to be painful.)
And yet Shantae isn’t featured in this

is there a problem with her?
Risky got in one but not her? Shame.

well at least mythra is in this

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

For Konami I could maybe see Pyramid head from Silent hill for the sword fighter. I know it might sound crazy (and creepy) but the guy is in Bomberman R so I guess Konami is open to use this character in a more friendly way.

For Microsoft, if he isn't playable I'm pretty sure Steve will be a costume. It just makes too much sense, Minecfat is huge and popular and Nintendo has made a lot of marketing for the franchise recently like with Minecraft dungeons. I guess Chief could maybe be a costume too, but I'm not sure if Nintendo would want that or if Microsoft would be open to throw their mature games as a funny mii guy.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
You know, if we DO get a direct this year, it’s almost a guarantee that it’ll focus mainly on the Switch Super/other hypothetical name for a “more powerful” switch. Which i guess is precisely why they haven’t done it yet - they need to make Switch 2.0 ready to be shown

speaking of which: https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=emb_title&v=t9N0jrsybTY (cannot embed this due to settings)

4K... but docked only? Idk how to feel about this

SKX31

Smash Master
I know it's a strange time and all, but it's just confusing how out of tune Nintendo has been. I know from insiders statements, that Nintendo was extremely unprepared for COVID; but it's just annoying that they can't give us a solid update on certain things, and pretty much hold off on telling us anything until the literal last second. Even Mario's 35th anniversary and HW 2 ended up being shadowdropped, when they (at least Mario) should have been revealed back in August at the latest.

It's also annoying that we are 8 months in from a presumed 23 month development timeline, with 1 fighter to show for it; and 5 fighters still unrevealed. At this point, I'm pretty sure Fighter 7 should be done or at the very least at the last stages of development; but I feel that Nintendo should just give us a heads up for when we can expect more info about the character to drop, officially. They don't have to reveal the character, but just say something like "more info relating to character 7 will be released in late September/October". So we can actually have an idea for how long we are waiting for.

At the very least, TGS will happen soon and likely give us a lot more 3rd party news on the Switch; and likely a MH announcement.
I do fully agree (I believe Wunderwaft Wunderwaft and others have made the same point), but there's also a point to be made that Nintendo's historical stubborness and secrecy is what might've bitten them in the ass here. Disclaimer: I'm going to hardcore speculate here. Could be off, but I'm basing this off of Nintendo's past ways of thinking and actions.

I should note, not everyone within Nintendo thinks like that of course, but organizational ideology is really, really hard to change. Especially when said ideology has been successful in the past (the Catholic Church is an extreme example of this since it's existed for 1500 years+ and has had significant political power during the majority of said timespan. There has been at least one Pope that have gone to war for example.).

In Nintendo's case: historically they've announced games on their terms, and it's evident by the fact that they announced Melee at E3 2001, complete with the entire base roster at once. Fast forward 5 years, and Brawl's E3 trailer highlighted four veterans + five newcomers (including the big one at the time, Snake). Ditto with Directs and them releasing info on their terms. To produce loads of hype etc.

Now there's a problem where not only is E3 cancelled, but it's much more difficult to cook up Directs. "What if BOTW 2 gets delayed? Then we can't include that at the Direct! What about Pikmin 3 Deluxe?! TOK?" Etc. Thus the decision to change plans.

Of course, Nintendo's also the type of company that's not willingly admitted weakness - at least not publicly. There could certainly be quite a few voices arguing against announcing delays etc. They didn't announce MP4's delay / restart until it became clear that MP4's original development was not going anywhere for instance.

Also, quite a few voices within Nintendo might have argued against announcing a change of announcement style because it'll lead to less hype with each announcement or something else. Announcing the changes would be against the Nintendo way.

Point is, organizational ideology is one hell of a drug.

At least Aonuma did aknowledge BOTW2's development and stated that it'll take some more time there. Nintendo should IMHO do more of that (as well as provide that roadmap re: rest of FP2).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom