• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
Two things. One, apparently that Directory updated again today. Could someone maybe check that?

Two, I just want to say that, even if we don't get anything this week, there's still a lot to look forward to. Mario's anniversary is this Saturday, Nintendo's having that meeting thing (do we know what that is yet?), the 3D Collection comes out, and TGS is at the end of the month. At least we know this month won't be slow, right?
Honestly, unless the Direct is coming within the near, as in, VERY near future, I feel like the Directory thing is a massive coincidence. Yes, it updated 2 days before the Mario one, but it also updated Saturday, and now today as well.

I'm not saying there's no chance of a Direct, but the Directory's updates being a false positive was always on the table, and unless there's a Direct like, within the next 3 days, it seems unlikely to be happening this week.

There's also the fact that, as of currently writing this, there's no one really backing up a Direct this week. King Zell went in on the 3rd for Mario, and then Emily, and a whole slew of other sites started going in with them, including Gamexplain, but as of right now? Nothing.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I know this question tends to be asked a lot but I’m interested to see your responses, as per usual.

What’s your Dream Smash Pass?
Not necessarily who you think will get in, but all the characters you want. Doesn’t have to be a likely character or even one that’s technically allowed!

For me personally?

1)Blaster Blade(Cardfight Vanguard)
2)Young Wizard(Wizard101)
3)Min Min
4)Joker
5)Dark Magician(Yu-gi-oh
6) Jace Beleren(Magic: The Gathering)
I made an image of it awhile back

Peeton

Smash Journeyman
NNID
starwolfe
I know this question tends to be asked a lot but I’m interested to see your responses, as per usual.

Not necessarily who you think will get in, but all the characters you want. Doesn’t have to be a likely character or even one that’s technically allowed!

For me personally?

3)Min Min
4)Joker
5)Dark Magician(Yu-gi-oh
So are we talking finishing this pass? Or just a whole pass of characters we’d like? Cus I’m going with the latter.

1) jet stream Sam (Metal Gear rising revengance)
2) Shinobu Jacobs (No More Heroes series)
3) Nero (Devil May Cry)
4) Geese (Fire Emblem Binding Blade)
5) Magnus (Kid Icarus Uprising)

Shroob

Sup?
Gonna be a bit pessimistic and say I'm not expecting anything this week.

It's definitely possible, and having a Direct this week would line up well with the Maintenance next, but I'm just really not feeling it.

FJA147

Smash Cadet
About the video uploaded to smash playlist of Nintendo of Japan. I don’t think it is a character reveal trailer or a Sakurai presents. Didn’t Japan tournament of like a ladder system mode tournament finish a couple of days before that video was uploaded to the playlist. So I don’t have many high hopes then.

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505

I'll give my dream characters and a little blurb alongside them.

1. Min Min: She's already in, lol. I would've preferred Spring Man because I think he's a great character, but Min Min's still cool too.

2. Quote: I've played Cave Story for the first time back on the Wii. It was the demo version, but I fell in love with it anyway. From the music, to the characters, to the gameplay, everything about it charmed me. I finally bought and finished it in 2019 and it has since become my favorite game of all time. I think he would be a great indie rep and bring a great moveset to Smash, so it sucks that he's currently owned by Nicalis. Not gonna go into details, but let's just say he was acquired in a shady way.

3. Rayman: Much like Quote, while I never got to play any of his games prior to 2019, I've always been fascinated by them. I would spend hours looking at gameplay from games like Rayman 2 and Origins. And again, like Quote, I finally played Legends in 2019 and was immediately hooked. I think his detached limbs could provide an interesting gameplay mechanic in that he's made up of multiple small parts rather than one, and I hope Nintendo and Ubisoft can finally seal the deal.

4. Isaac: I never truly knew about Golden Sun until 2018, back during the base game speculation era, I'd only hear of him in small passings. I found his design to be interesting, so I did some research about him. I was bummed when he got deconfirmed, but not totally distraught. I decided to give his game a try in 2019 (starting to see a trend?), and I immediately became a fan once I finished it. Ever since then, I've become a big proponent for him either getting into Smash or having his games rereleased.

5. Delsin Rowe: This isn't too complicated. I saw some gameplay of Infamous Second Son, so I decided to try it when it was free for a while. It's become a favorite of mine and I think Delsin is a character from an underrated Playstation series that deserves more recognition. He could have a stance change like Shulk where he would switch between Smoke, Neon, or Video, all of which could change the properties of his attacks.

6. Crazy Dave: I've always loved the Plantz Vs. Zombies series and I'd think he'd be a cool character in Smash. He'd fit in right in with it's aesthetics and would bring a bopping soundtrack, so it's a shame he's owned by EA.

Sorry for the big post, just wanted to put my thoughts out here. Some other characters I would love to have are Sol Badguy, Klonoa, Amaterasu, Waluigi, and Phoenix Wright. Even if only one of my dream picks got in, I'd still be happy. Mostly cause I'd have one of them in the first place, and because I'm down to go with mostly anyone they choose.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

For me personally?

3)Min Min
4)Joker
5)Dark Magician(Yu-gi-oh
Ordered by how I think they should be revealed.
  • Min Min (ARMS)
  • Sora (Kingdom Hearts)
  • Rhythm Heaven rep (Rhythm Heaven)
  • Steve (Minecraft)
  • Elma (Xenoblade Chronicles)
  • Farmer (Story of Seasons)
Sora could easily be swapped out with either Phoenix Wright, Ryu Hayabusa, or Segata Sanshiro. All four of em flip flop with each other when it comes to most wanteds at this point.

Last edited:

Alphabet Soup

Smash Rookie
I'll give my dream characters and a little blurb alongside them.

1. Min Min: She's already in, lol. I would've preferred Spring Man because I think he's a great character, but Min Min's still cool too.

2. Quote: I've played Cave Story for the first time back on the Wii. It was the demo version, but I fell in love with it anyway. From the music, to the characters, to the gameplay, everything about it charmed me. I finally bought and finished it in 2019 and it has since become my favorite game of all time. I think he would be a great indie rep and bring a great moveset to Smash, so it sucks that he's currently owned by Nicalis. Not gonna go into details, but let's just say he was acquired in a shady way.

3. Rayman: Much like Quote, while I never got to play any of his games prior to 2019, I've always been fascinated by them. I would spend hours looking at gameplay from games like Rayman 2 and Origins. And again, like Quote, I finally played Legends in 2019 and was immediately hooked. I think his detached limbs could provide an interesting gameplay mechanic in that he's made up of multiple small parts rather than one, and I hope Nintendo and Ubisoft can finally seal the deal.

4. Isaac: I never truly knew about Golden Sun until 2018, back during the base game speculation era, I'd only hear of him in small passings. I found his design to be interesting, so I did some research about him. I was bummed when he got deconfirmed, but not totally distraught. I decided to give his game a try in 2019 (starting to see a trend?), and I immediately became a fan once I finished it. Ever since then, I've become a big proponent for him either getting into Smash or having his games rereleased.

5. Delsin Rowe: This isn't too complicated. I saw some gameplay of Infamous Second Son, so I decided to try it when it was free for a while. It's become a favorite of mine and I think Delsin is a character from an underrated Playstation series that deserves more recognition. He could have a stance change like Shulk where he would switch between Smoke, Neon, or Video, all of which could change the properties of his attacks.

6. Crazy Dave: I've always loved the Plantz Vs. Zombies series and I'd think he'd be a cool character in Smash. He'd fit in right in with it's aesthetics and would bring a bopping soundtrack, so it's a shame he's owned by EA.

Sorry for the big post, just wanted to put my thoughts out here.
I would argue Peashooter or Sunflower would be better fits, considering they're seen a lot more than Dave, and have much more abilities to them. I suppose one could pull a Duck Hunt type situation, but it would be much more interesting to have one of the other ones. Peashooter, for example, might turn into any of the other peashooters for his specials, summon Squash around him, or use a pumpkin for his shield. It would be a great unique character either way, using some form of a Sun mechanic, where he would need to collect Sun from around the map, enhancing his abilities for a period of time.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord

For me personally?

3)Min Min
4)Joker
5)Dark Magician(Yu-gi-oh
These fine gents here of course! Crash being my most wanted for sure!

wishlist.jpg

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505
I would argue Peashooter or Sunflower would be better fits, considering they're seen a lot more than Dave, and have much more abilities to them. I suppose one could pull a Duck Hunt type situation, but it would be much more interesting to have one of the other ones. Peashooter, for example, might turn into any of the other peashooters for his specials, summon Squash around him, or use a pumpkin for his shield. It would be a great unique character either way, using some form of a Sun mechanic, where he would need to collect Sun from around the map, enhancing his abilities for a period of time.
I totally understand where you're coming from, I just think Crazy Dave would have more personality, in my opinion.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

For me personally?

3)Min Min
4)Joker
5)Dark Magician(Yu-gi-oh
Time to bring this out again.

fp2.3.png

Last edited:

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
How about Jorge-052?
Optimal Halo content would basically be Master Chief, with different Spartans as Alts. For example:

1599531856571.png

I'll tell you one thing - a Hero situation with Chief, Emile and other Spartans would make 10 year old me pop off like nothing else.

maybe also current me

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I know I said I felt good about us getting news this week, but now that Monday has gone without a shred of news of leaks...

I'm doubtful.

Part of me thinks that if we don't hear anything tomorrow, we won't get anything this week but...

They shadow dropped the Mario 35th direct. Something that ABSOLUTELY should have been announced before hand.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I'm very bored, and I am about to do something rough, so lets play a game.

Let's say you could change the move-set of any character in Ultimate. Would you do it? Yes or no.

If yes, who would you change?
Give Ganondorf a completely unique moveset.

Give Falco a sniper rifle and Wolf a machine gun to separate them further from Fox.

Make it so all 3 Links had different secondary weapons instead of them all being Bow, Bomb, Boomerang.

Replace FLUDD with Cappy.

Cut all the MP and menu **** out of Hero so he'd play like a normal-ass character.

Make all of Trainer's Pokemon separate characters with new Down Specials.

1599533407579.png

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I know I said I felt good about us getting news this week, but now that Monday has gone without a shred of news of leaks...

I'm doubtful.

Part of me thinks that if we don't hear anything tomorrow, we won't get anything this week but...

They shadow dropped the Mario 35th direct. Something that ABSOLUTELY should have been announced before hand.
Well, Thursday is the kill switch of the week I think.

We don't have long to wait, pray for someone to start talking.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero

For me personally?

3)Min Min
4)Joker
5)Dark Magician(Yu-gi-oh

[/QUOTE]
Here's mine:
1) Bandana Dee (Kirby)
2) Poochy (Yoshi's Island)
3) Shake King (Wario Land)

4) Amaterasu (Okami)
5) Crash (Crash Bandicoot)
6) Heavy (Team Fortress)
Bandana Dee: Kirby hasn't gotten a newcomer and more modern representation
Poochy: Yoshi is always being ignored and left out
Shake King: Wario Land is terribly represented (Wario's moveset, no stage and only 1 song.)
Amaterasu: She's cool and awesome!
Crash: Him with Sonic and Mario would be a dream
Heavy: Team Fortress is one of the best games and a PC rep would be nice

Edit: What did I just do? (I quoted two times by accident.)

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

I'm doubtful.

They'll most likely just shadow drop another direct out of nowhere without telling anybody so it doesn't leak out.

D

Deleted member

Cut all the MP and menu **** out of Hero so he'd play like a normal-ass character.
I don't find anything wrong with Hero's menu system at all besides the whole language barrier issue. They should have just colored the texts and added symbols near them.

Despite this issue, I think Hero is really fun. Hero wouldn't really stand out if he had his down b removed.

Last edited by a moderator:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I don't find anything wrong with Hero's menu system at all besides the whole language barrier issue. They should have just colored the texts and added symbols near them.

Despite this issue, I think Hero is really fun. Hero wouldn't really stand out if he had his down b removed.
For my personal Smash game concept, I'm striking a middle ground. He's retooled into a more traditional fighter most of the time, but there's a new mode where everyone gets ramped up to ludicrous levels of broken, which is where I bring back Hero's RNG except even more unbalanced.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Listen, normally I'm all for restraint when it comes to calling characters "locks", but when a series can sell around five million out of the gate, and has a feasible character to add, they're getting in. Even as far back as Smash 4 they probably would've gotten in. Now the bar is that much lower.

Ring Fit has sold better than any Metroid game, any Kirby game, any Fire Emblem game, any Star Fox game, etc. etc. It's on track to be like Splatoon's initial performance. And while it lacks the fanbase popularity Inkling had, Inkling didn't get in based on demand anyway.
Here's the problem though...

Most of the people that bought Ring Fit don't care about Smash. A lot of them don't even care about video games. They don't care about that character. They only bought it to be less fat.

Wii Fit Trainer got in for the same reasons you described, and nobody gives a **** about that character. I don't see them repeating that mistake again.

The thing that makes him stand out makes him unplayable to me.

I'd be much happier if he just played like a FE character, but from a series I actually care about.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Wii Fit Trainer got in for the same reasons you described, and nobody gives a **** about that character. I don't see them repeating that mistake again.
I don't think Nintendo views Wii Fit Trainer as a mistake.

They weren't received poorly at all.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
For my personal Smash game concept, I'm striking a middle ground. He's retooled into a more traditional fighter most of the time, but there's a new mode where everyone gets ramped up to ludicrous levels of broken, which is where I bring back Hero's RNG except even more unbalanced.
The prospect of a "canon" Brawl Minus is a level of want I didn't realize I had before.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Here's the problem though...

Most of the people that bought Ring Fit don't care about Smash. A lot of them don't even care about video games. They don't care about that character. They only bought it to be less fat.

What a selfish point of view that invalidates how every demographic but this one feels about the characters included.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
WFT was one of those characters I probably got bitter over...I'unno, half a second before moving on, and only once the final roster was revealed. Probably because she followed up Mega Man, spelling out how Sakurai was not only putting in fan-favorites, but wasn't gonna stop putting in his weirdass ideas for new characters no one knew they wanted until they got them.

D

Deleted member

Fun fact, I have talked to a Terraria developer more than once.

I didn't discuss Smash, obviously.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

I'd personally keep the menu, but reign it in slightly. The spells would still be random, but they'd be organized by function, so you would always have access to:
  • A semi-standard projectile
  • A sword spell
  • A buff
  • And something unorthodox
There would be at least one odd, bad, or niche of use spell in each category, so you wouldn't be able to mash, but you would still generally know what to expect from the Special Move for the most part.

Maybe just get good, it is pretty easy to play and understand Hero's spells.
I think he just doesn't enjoy unorthodox characters. I don't think I've seen an opinion from him about an out there mechanic that was actually positive.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I don't mind characters like Wii Fit Trainer because Smash would be EXTREMELY boring if Sakurai only looked at characters who fans gave serious consideration to. I can understand why some people wouldn't like her, but I do think she served as a reminder to not rule out any particular franchise just because "it wouldn't work very well in Smash".

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I still don't much care for WFT, and I wouldn't have added her were it up to me, but I can't presume to say that other people don't like her, or that she's so reviled or meaningless that Nintendo actually feels they made a mistake. That's pretty preposterous.

She wasn't added due to our demo, and our demo doesn't much care about her.

You think the people they did add her for are going to be like, "oh, sweet - it's Geno!"

Smash casts a wide net, and some of the pushback that the Ring Fit characters are going to get when they eventually become a bigger part of discussion is going to be from people who forget that.

Oh yeah?
View attachment 284911
Bet you're feeling real embarrassed rn
It took going back some thirty-five years but

I am ashame

Don't look at me

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Who here has never gotten their most wanted added to Smash at all?
Yes & no. Banjo was my “most wanted” but that’s because I thought he had a chance after the Spencer tweet. Master Chief would’ve been my most wanted the whole time, but I didn’t think he had a chance until FP2 was announced. So Chief would be #1, Banjo would be #2.
So JonComms is retiring from GameXplain

BUT

he tweeted this...

71402D0D-AA29-4DE7-BF2E-89E19197B950.jpeg

For me personally?

3)Min Min
4)Joker
5)Dark Magician(Yu-gi-oh
Master Chief
Leon Kennedy/Jill Valentine
Dante
Crash
Doom Slayer