• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Munchi

Smash Journeyman
Think I read up on this series once, but I don't remember it that much. Could you please give some context?( SharkLord SharkLord

Disgaea is an SRPG series that debuted in 2003 and currently has 5 main games and several spin offs.The gameplay consists of a checkered board (as is common in SRPG) where you will have to face enemy units with yours, although disgaea has many unique elements things like combo attacks where if one unit is next to another the attacking unit will have the opportunity to make a team attack and the more units are involved the stronger the attack will also be the way to draw units is unique by taking them out from a point in concrete in the order you want and being able to withdraw them returning to the point also the units can be thrown to each other to cover more distance the units are divided into classes each with their particular and their passive abilities and later other mechanics were added such as overlord abilities and revenge bar[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Actually Something i was wondering

Considering they did it for Min-Min, Could Rex's Model from Xenoblade 2 be Ripped straight into Smash and fit into the game. Min-Min's Model is actually from ARMS itself. If they want to save on the Time and budget, they could do the same with Rex. Just wondering if it would fit nicely
Byleth and all of Three Houses had 3D models they could've reused, but to my knowledge they all got new models for Smash Bros. I don't think it's just about if they have one available but also if it fits in with Smash's overall art style. Both Three Houses and Xenoblade 2 rely on heavy shading to makes the models work, and without them the models are... not great.

Compare with how the handle the hair in the Mii costume etc

Basically, they'd have to redo so many elements that I don't think they'd necessarily save time. Rex doesn't have a nose at certain angles in XB2 for crying out loud. The Smash assets look like they were built to try recreate the appearance of the in-game models at their best without actually using them. If anyone can compare the models directly feel free to chime in.

That said, boy this has been way more looking at Rex and Byleth than I can stand in a day. I need to detox.

Last edited:

cosmicB

Smash Ace
I mean, we got SNK, and they're pretty small at the moment.
I don't know if I'd compare the two from a legacy perspecitve. SNK was never massive, but they did enter the console market and were responsible for what many considered the big Street Fighter competitor. NIS on the other hand seems to always be on the brink of bankruptcy (yeah SNK went bankrupt, but their legacy remained intact). Though I suppose you could argue that their big property was a pseudo-mainstay of the genre, even if it existed in a weird niche away from more visible properties like Fire Emblem. It did end up with a global total over 3 million, so that's pretty impressive and I don't know how it compares to SNK properties.

I'd love to be wrong because NIS is another company I'd love to see added to Smash, but I can't see Laharl being someone either Sakurai or Nintendo would prioritize over other picks.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Byleth and all of Three Houses had 3D models they could've reused, but to my knowledge they all got new models for Smash Bros. I don't think it's just about if they have one available but also if it fits in with Smash's overall art style. Both Three Houses and Xenoblade 2 rely on heavy shading to makes the models work, and without them the models are... not great.

Compare with how the handle the hair in the Mii costume etc

Basically, they'd have to redo so many elements that I don't think they'd necessarily save time. Rex doesn't have a nose at certain angles in XB2 for crying out loud. The Smash assets look like they were built to try recreate the appearance of the in-game models at their best without actually using them. If anyone can compare the models directly feel free to chime in.

That said, boy this has been way more looking at Rex and Byleth than I can stand in a day. I need to detox.
Rex actually doesn't look that bad, but Byleth... Brr... It's definitely the shaded eyes on the non-shaded model.

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
To propose a new character Laharl from the disgaea series, what do you think?
View attachment 284783
I've only played part of the PC port of Disgaea 1, so I don't know the full extent of his abilities, but I think he certainly has the design and personality to fit in with Smash. If I remember correctly one of the mechanics of Disgaea is being able to pick up, carry, and throw your teammates, so if they wanted to incorporate that I could imagine Laharl having something like DK's throw where he can pick them up for a short time (although it'd look really comical if they mimic the original animation and have Laharl just stack the other person on top of him while they're both standing completely straight). Also there would need to be some Prinnies in there, whether as a part of Laharl's moveset or as a stage hazard/background cameo.

As for likelihood, NIS isn't a big name, but I could see them potentially being an SNK-style pick. Not prominent, but not completely out of the running.

Munchi

Smash Journeyman
I've only played part of the PC port of Disgaea 1, so I don't know the full extent of his abilities, but I think he certainly has the design and personality to fit in with Smash. If I remember correctly one of the mechanics of Disgaea is being able to pick up, carry, and throw your teammates, so if they wanted to incorporate that I could imagine Laharl having something like DK's throw where he can pick them up for a short time (although it'd look really comical if they mimic the original animation and have Laharl just stack the other person on top of him while they're both standing completely straight). Also there would need to be some Prinnies in there, whether as a part of Laharl's moveset or as a stage hazard/background cameo.

As for likelihood, NIS isn't a big name, but I could see them potentially being an SNK-style pick. Not prominent, but not completely out of the running.

If the truth is that the loading animation is curious and I also think that prinnies would be added in some way at the end at the end there are two games starring the prinnies apart from being a mascot for the saga

If Laharl were to make it into Smash, I just want him to be able to counter counters that counter his counter. And hold people above his head if he grabs them.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Are they any 1st party franchises in Smash that you guys believe needs another character or two to feel completely represented (as in, the core cast are all present)?

For example, a lot of people want Dixie Kong to round out DK representation, but I believe :ultdk::ultdiddy::ultkrool: are enough (although Dixie would be a nice addition).

Similarly, people believe Bandana Waddle Dee would round out Kirby representation, and Krystal would do the same for Star Fox.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Are they any 1st party franchises in Smash that you guys believe needs another character or two to feel completely represented (as in, the core cast are all present)?

For example, a lot of people want Dixie Kong to round out DK representation, but I believe :ultdk::ultdiddy::ultkrool: are enough (although Dixie would be a nice addition).

Similarly, people believe Bandana Waddle Dee would round out Kirby representation, and Krystal would do the same for Star Fox.
Xenoblade could use some more reps there are 3 Xenoblade games and we only have 1 character from an outdated version of the first game.

Zelda needs way more variety than just Link, Zelda and Ganon.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master

Zelda needs Pig/Beast Ganon , its most prominent, reoccurring villain in the series and someone that mostly represents the classic 2D Zelda games. Ultimate took a step in the right direction with its incarnation of Zelda and making Ganon a boss, but it could go further.

Kirby with Dark Matter would round out the franchise nicely in my eyes, since horrifying final bosses are an integral part of the Kirby series and Dark Matter Blade would offer the most in terms of villain representation and moveset potential.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master

Controversial given the other popular choices, but Impa feels like the last missing character for Zelda.

skylanders fan

Smash Lord
NNID
KyleWussler

I’m gonna actually go with the Mario franchise I feel after we get toad/captain toad and waluigi I feel we have the perfect Mario cast. (Although I would love to get Paper Mario). Kid Icarus franchise I think we only need hades and we will be good with that.

toonito

Smash Ace

Toad
Waluigi (mainly to have all four playable)
Paper Mario
Meowth (swap out Jigglypuff)
Bandana Waddle Dee
Hades (swap out Dark Pit)

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Here’s something fun to talk about: Take every series that has exactly one fighter in Smash and give them a second character.
:ultyoshi:: Going to go with Kamek, seeing how it's either him or Poochy. While I like Poochy, Kamek is a much more proactive figure in the Yoshi series and has a much better defined set of powers for a moveset.
:ultfalcon:: Samurai Goroh just seems to make the most sense here. He has perfect attendance in F-Zero, a strong relationship with Captain Falcon, and a basis for a moveset in his katana.
:ulticeclimbers:: Uhh... the Polar Bear, I guess? Him, the seals/yedis, and the condor are the only options here and he is the easiest to translate to a fighting game from that list.
:ultgnw:: Another tough one, seeing how the Game & Watch series doesn't really have defined characters. Maybe do what was done for Mr. Game & Watch and combine multiple characters into an OC (like a Ms. Game & Watch)?
:ultwario:: Sorry Ashley fans, going with Captain Syrup. It would be nice to see Wario Land get a little more love, plus we have yet to see a full pirate moveset in Smash.
:ultsnake:: Raiden because cybernetic ninja. Honourable mention to Big Boss as a possible Snake echo.
:ultsonic:: A lot of good options here, but I have to go with Tails. He's one of my personal favourite Sonic characters, so some of that is bias. However, a slightly slower take on Sonic's design with an emphasis on aerial combos and stage control through technology sounds pretty neat.
:ultolimar:: Louie, he comes with a Smash taunt that details how to cook each fighter. On a serious note, Louie could either work great as an Olimar echo or as a unique character utilizing some of his skills from Pikmin 3.
:ultrob:: Unless we're looking towards generic mooks, Professor Hector is really the only character from the Robot series of games. So, he wins by default.
:ultmegaman:: Another series with a lot of good options. However, X seems to be the most logical next step for another Mega Man character, as his subseries is the most iconic after classic Mega Man, of course. Plus, a zoner who focuses on mobility could be neat.
:ultwiifittrainer:: Sakurai, give the people what they want. A playable balance board that uses other Wii accessories to fight would change Smash forever.
:ultlittlemac:: King Hippo is the most iconic and unique of Punch-Out's rogue gallery, so bring him in.
:ultmiifighters:: I still like the idea of a more formal Mii moveset that's based around things the Miis actually do in their various appearances. The fighter model is definitely better for customization and the "this can be whoever you want it to be!" angle of the character, but this new moveset would do a lot to make the miis feel better integrated into Smash.
:ultpacman:: I know she's in legal hell, but Ms. Pac-Man as an echo is honestly the best I could do here. I mean, she is a massive icon, so yay?
:ultshulk:: While I have definitely warmed up to Rex as time has gone on, I still think Elma would be the more interesting fighter. Laser swords, machine guns, and mechs are a pretty cool basis for a moveset.
:ultduckhunt:: I mean, there's three characters in the Duck Hunt game (the player, the ducks, and the dog) and they all make up the Dunk Hunt character. But if any Zapper characters are eligible, uh... Mr. Stevenson?
:ultcloud:: If they have to be from FF7, then Tifa. If they can be from anywhere in the Final Fantasy series, Terra. I like girls with names that start with the letter T.
:ultbayonetta:: I know diddly about Bayonetta, but Jeanne could be her echo, right?
:ultinkling:: Octoling seems to be the only logical choice and they have the Louie appeal of working as either an echo or a fully unique character. Otherwise, maybe the Squid Sisters with an idol based moveset?
:ultjoker:: Yu's kind of a generic mid 2000's shonen protagonist (especially relative to Joker), but he'd still be cool. Maybe his moveset could focus on his status as the Wild Card, summoning different persona for various attacks?
:ulthero:: Going to accept my bias to DQVIII and say Jessica Albert. The roster could use another whip user.
:ultbanjokazooie:: It's really between Mumbo and Gruntilda for this one. I like Mumbo a fair bit, but Grunty seems to be the better pick both for representing the series and for creating a fun character. Plus, we all know the magic Sakurai can bring when translating villains with hammy personalities to Smash.
:ult_terry:: Andy's is both my Fatal Fury main and a criminally underrated character character, so he can join the battle. However, if the entirety of SNK is open, then Nakoruru would be my choice. May as well get SNK's other face in the game.
:ultminmin: In case my profile picture didn't give it away, I like Spring Man. He eats pizza and makes boing noises with his mouth. Plus, it still feels kinda weird to not have him in the game. I know he's not technically more a protagonist than any other character from ARMS, but he is the face of the game. His absence is strange for the same reason that Mega Man's absence from MvC3 felt strange, it kinda feels like we're skipping a semi-obvious step.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
:ultyoshi:: Going to go with Kamek, seeing how it's either him or Poochy. While I like Poochy, Kamek is a much more proactive figure in the Yoshi series and has a much better defined set of powers for a moveset.
:ultfalcon:: Samurai Goroh just seems to make the most sense here. He has perfect attendance in F-Zero, a strong relationship with Captain Falcon, and a basis for a moveset in his katana.
:ulticeclimbers:: Uhh... the Polar Bear, I guess? Him, the seals/yedis, and the condor are the only options here and he is the easiest to translate to a fighting game from that list.
:ultgnw:: Another tough one, seeing how the Game & Watch series doesn't really have defined characters. Maybe do what was done for Mr. Game & Watch and combine multiple characters into an OC (like a Ms. Game & Watch)?
:ultwario:: Sorry Ashley fans, going with Captain Syrup. It would be nice to see Wario Land get a little more love, plus we have yet to see a full pirate moveset in Smash.
:ultsnake:: Raiden because cybernetic ninja. Honourable mention to Big Boss as a possible Snake echo.
:ultsonic:: A lot of good options here, but I have to go with Tails. He's one of my personal favourite Sonic characters, so some of that is bias. However, a slightly slower take on Sonic's design with an emphasis on aerial combos and stage control through technology sounds pretty neat.
:ultolimar:: Louie, he comes with a Smash taunt that details how to cook each fighter. On a serious note, Louie could either work great as an Olimar echo or as a unique character utilizing some of his skills from Pikmin 3.
:ultrob:: Unless we're looking towards generic mooks, Professor Hector is really the only character from the Robot series of games. So, he wins by default.
:ultmegaman:: Another series with a lot of good options. However, X seems to be the most logical next step for another Mega Man character, as his subseries is the most iconic after classic Mega Man, of course. Plus, a zoner who focuses on mobility could be neat.
:ultwiifittrainer:: Sakurai, give the people what they want. A playable balance board that uses other Wii accessories to fight would change Smash forever.
:ultlittlemac:: King Hippo is the most iconic and unique of Punch-Out's rogue gallery, so bring him in.
:ultmiifighters:: I still like the idea of a more formal Mii moveset that's based around things the Miis actually do in their various appearances. The fighter model is definitely better for customization and the "this can be whoever you want it to be!" angle of the character, but this new moveset would do a lot to make the miis feel better integrated into Smash.
:ultpacman:: I know she's in legal hell, but Ms. Pac-Man as an echo is honestly the best I could do here. I mean, she is a massive icon, so yay?
:ultshulk:: While I have definitely warmed up to Rex as time has gone on, I still think Elma would be the more interesting fighter. Laser swords, machine guns, and mechs are a pretty cool basis for a moveset.
:ultduckhunt:: I mean, there's three characters in the Duck Hunt game (the player, the ducks, and the dog) and they all make up the Dunk Hunt character. But if any Zapper characters are eligible, uh... Mr. Stevenson?
:ultcloud:: If they have to be from FF7, then Tifa. If they can be from anywhere in the Final Fantasy series, Terra. I like girls with names that start with the letter T.
:ultbayonetta:: I know diddly about Bayonetta, but Jeanne could be her echo, right?
:ultinkling:: Octoling seems to be the only logical choice and they have the Louie appeal of working as either an echo or a fully unique character. Otherwise, maybe the Squid Sisters with an idol based moveset?
:ultjoker:: Yu's kind of a generic mid 2000's shonen protagonist (especially relative to Joker), but he'd still be cool. Maybe his moveset could focus on his status as the Wild Card, summoning different persona for various attacks?
:ulthero:: Going to accept my bias to DQVIII and say Jessica Albert. The roster could use another whip user.
:ultbanjokazooie:: It's really between Mumbo and Gruntilda for this one. I like Mumbo a fair bit, but Grunty seems to be the better pick both for representing the series and for creating a fun character. Plus, we all know the magic Sakurai can bring when translating villains with hammy personalities to Smash.
:ult_terry:: Andy's is both my Fatal Fury main and a criminally underrated character character, so he can join the battle. However, if the entirety of SNK is open, then Nakoruru would be my choice. May as well get SNK's other face in the game.
:ultminmin: In case my profile picture didn't give it away, I like Spring Man. He eats pizza and makes boing noises with his mouth. Plus, it still feels kinda weird to not have him in the game. I know he's not technically more a protagonist than any other character from ARMS, but he is the face of the game. His absence is strange for the same reason that Mega Man's absence from MvC3 felt strange, it kinda feels like we're skipping a semi-obvious step.
No love for Off the Hook smh :troll:

but yay Jessica

also:
Caption this

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
While I have definitely warmed up to Rex as time has gone on, I still think Elma would be the more interesting fighter. Laser swords, machine guns, and mechs are a pretty cool basis for a moveset.
Elma actually has the Dual Swords and Dual Guns. Lyn's the one with the Machine Gun, and there aren't really any important characters with a Photon Saber (there is Yelv I think, but that's about it).

I'm interested to see how they add Ghostwalker.
EDIT: Ghost Factory I mean. Ghostwalker is the generic version all Full Metal Jaguars get.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom