• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I think the issue of people saying there's a Nintendo drought is because outside of ports\remasters, all Nintendo had is Animal Crossing, Paper Mario and Clubhouse Games. The ports and stuff are nice and all but chances are we've played them before and people are itching for something new

Miles of SmashWiki

Smash Apprentice
I think the issue of people saying there's a Nintendo drought is because outside of ports\remasters, all Nintendo had is Animal Crossing, Paper Mario and Clubhouse Games. The ports and stuff are nice and all but chances are we've played them before and people are itching for something new
This is Good Job! erasure. /s

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I also wonder if there's plenty of development issues that propped up during ACNH's development. Not only did they have to delay the game, but content updates tend to be for stuff already in ACNL, and there's only 8 new villagers, with no new species/personalities for them.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
It's absolutely okay to criticize Nintendo at present, even with COVID in mind, basically every other major game publisher and developer has handled the situation much better, both in Japan and in the west. I've personally been able to get by just fine by playing other games (hence why I've barely been active on here recently), but since Nintendo is my favorite publisher, I'm always going to be eager to see what they've got in store for us, so I've still been disappointed with their lackluster communication, even if my entertainment doesn't hinge on them.

I'm kinda tired of how whenever Nintendo does something that's worthy of criticism, there are always people who want to deflect the blame onto the critics, as if it's their own fault they may not be satisfied. If you're passionate about something, it's only natural to be disappointed when you feel like expectations aren't being met, and it's pretty fair to say that Nintendo aren't doing that at the moment. It's also fair to hold Nintendo to a high standard, as they've otherwise done a really good job in the Switch era, and as a fan you'd like to see them continue in that manner, and not sink back to late-Wii U era levels.

"Just go play third party games bro", sure, but let's not pretend like the main appeal of any Nintendo console isn't the first party titles, because it absolutely is, and always has been. It's nice that the Switch has a wide array of 3rd party titles, but it's often the case that they can also be found on the PC, the most accessible platform in the world, and sometimes they're even downgraded ports, so you can only stretch that so far. The Switch will always depend on its first party offerings, and the fact that there's barely anything to look forward to on that front is understandably frustrating, and worthy of some criticism.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
Right now the main game I am playing is Zero no Kiseki hoping to finish that next week and maybe start on Ao no Kiseki, also weirdly found myself getting into Fortnite over the last couple of days.

It's absolutely okay to criticize Nintendo at present, even with COVID in mind, basically every other major game publisher and developer has handled the situation much better, both in Japan and in the west. I've personally been able to get by just fine by playing other games (hence why I've barely been active on here recently), but since Nintendo is my favorite publisher, I'm always going to be eager to see what they've got in store for us, so I've still been disappointed with their lackluster communication, even if my entertainment doesn't hinge on them.

I'm kinda tired of how whenever Nintendo does something that's worthy of criticism, there are always people who want to deflect the blame onto the critics, as if it's their own fault they may not be satisfied. If you're passionate about something, it's only natural to be disappointed when you feel like expectations aren't being met, and it's pretty fair to say that Nintendo aren't doing that at the moment. It's also fair to hold Nintendo to a high standard, as they've otherwise done a really good job in the Switch era, and as a fan you'd like to see them continue in that manner, and not sink back to late-Wii U era levels.

"Just go play third party games bro", sure, but let's not pretend like the main appeal of any Nintendo console isn't the first party titles, because it absolutely is, and always has been. It's nice that the Switch has a wide array of 3rd party titles, but it's often the case that they can also be found on the PC, the most accessible platform in the world, and sometimes they're even downgraded ports, so you can only stretch that so far. The Switch will always depend on its first party offerings, and the fact that there's barely anything to look forward to on that front is understandably frustrating, and worthy of some criticism.
I have to disagree strongly, just about every major publisher has dropped the ball pretty badly.

Microsoft in my opinion has dropped the ball harder then any other publisher. Both shows they put on this summer were underwhelming at best, both had a major lack of gameplay and in fact the July one had a problem in which a lot of games like Fable lack even a release year, meaning that they are likely at least 2 to 3 years away from releasing. Then there is Halo Infinite which look incredibly underwhelming and now got delayed into some random point in 2021 and pretty much killed any reason why anyone should buy an Xbox Series X in 2020.

Capcom, they promised the next news update for Resident Evil 8 would come in August and well they only got two days to release that info.

Sega/Atlus. On Sega's end, the Sonic game they teased at the start of the year has completely vanished and Sonic Team hasn't really communicated since. On Atlus's end, Persona 5 Scramble released in Japan back Febuary and we still have no word on when we can expect an English release despite it not taking this long for both the original Persona 5 and Royal.

Ubisoft, the only damn game they revealed at their Ubisoft forward event was Far Cry 6 and despite it coming out in February, we still haven't seen gameplay of it.

Sony, while they had a great show in June (arguably the only good one we had this summer) their silence on the price and release date of the PS5 is annoying arguably morose then Nintendo's silence on their first party line up. This console is supposedly comes out in 2 and a half months and they are barely giving anyone time to pre-order it even though they've been open about how limited manufacturing will be.

Activision, Call of Duty Cold War was only finally revealed this past week after months of silence and rumors of very troubled development.

WB, while they did finally reveal both Gotham Knights and Suicide Squad, they had to delay Lego Star Wars to 2021 and Harry Potter still hasn't been announced despite plans for it to be revealed at E3.

Covid has hurt every major publisher and caused all of them to make some pretty weird decisions. Like the industry is usually pretty secretive, but not this secretive and I wouldn't expect things to go back to normal for the industry until a vaccine is ready and everyone has been back in their offices for some time.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Actually talking about Monster Hunter, Dusk Golem (the guy who has leaked the details on RE8, and previously RE3make) has just said that the Monster Hunter game for the Switch is going to be revealed soon. I have been keeping an eye on him and he's pretty much reliable so far, specially when it comes to Capcom info. He also was the one who talked about the problems behind Street Fighter 6 development, for example.

So, according to him, the MH Switch game is gonna be announced soon. Not gonna say that means a General Direct is coming, it could be revealed at the TGS, but I don't know, a Monster Hunter exclusive game is a very big card, specially nowadays because the franchise is super popular thanks to MH: World. And Kelios seem to have teased something happening soon. Granted, he could be talking about a Twitter announcement, and if that's the case that would be for a first party game.

Edit: this is the MH thing.

If I get MH for switch, Id be, no pun intended, over the moon

zumaddy

Smash Ace
As someone who loves the old game style and Iceborne, having a game in the older style on Switch and Iceborne on my PC would be pure MH bliss for 2021.

As for full announcements, I feel like it's either a September Direct or nothing for the rest of the year. Their holiday game (which at this point seems like the much discussed 3D Marios) could be a Twitter/Youtube announcement if no Direct, sprinkle in a few Partner presentations and then start off 2021 with more confidence in their release dates/reveals. 'Sakurai Presents Fighter 7' could be anytime before 2021 ends as its own thing, or even a Game Awards reveal if things are backed up.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
"Play more games/do your backlog" and "I wish Nintendo would give us stuff to look forward to" are both statements that can co-exist and still hold true.

Nintendo can and really should be doing better with letting us know what's in the pipeline but y'all can also explore your backlogs and look for games you might have originally missed out on. There's plenty of SNK games on the eShop if Terry got you interested, God Eater 3 is a great alternative to Monster Hunter, Wonderful 101 is still a fantastic title. Maybe look into some Indies like Bloodstained or Goose Game.
the last time I told people to play other games instead of waiting forever for Smash news, I got passivce aggressively told "Are you playing any games?"

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
As someone who loves the old game and Iceborne, having a game in the older style on Switch and Iceborne on my PC would be pure MH bliss for 2021.

As for full announcements, I feel like it's either a September Direct or nothing for the rest of the year. Their holiday game (which at this point seems like the much discussed 3D Marios) could be a Twitter/Youtube announcement if no Direct, sprinkle in a few Partner presentations and then start off 2021 with more confidence in their release dates/reveals.
I really hope they dont bring worlds stuff to the Switch game if there is one. The bow gun shouldnt be firing like a shotgun

D

Deleted member

Honestly I'm kinda hoping we past 9/4/20 with no main direct just so I can start saying

"Day 366 of waiting for a main direct"

mmm.. as I'm typing this out... maybe not. Still it's really odd to think about the fact we pretty much have not had a full length direct for almost a year now. It's just.. how does that happen?

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Honestly I'm kinda hoping we past 9/4/20 with no main direct just so I can start saying

mmm.. as I'm typing this out... maybe not. Still it's really odd to think about the fact we pretty much have not had a full length direct for almost a year now. It's just.. how does that happen?
Well, we're already up to 361 days. Not long now.

D

Deleted member

COVID. That's why.

Really shaking up things in the industry these days. Granted there is a reasonable condition for that. I mean, it's really affecting evreryone; not just the gaming industry.

D

Deleted member

do you read the news
man can you not take a joke? I know exactly why we haven’t had a main direct. But maybe I shoulda phrased it slightly better and not posted the first second I woke up.... my bad.

I have a backlog of games to play so I have stuff to play but I’ll be honest can’t wait to see more of BOTW 2 and Smash news
While I don’t play too many video games, I do currently have my own kind of “backlog” where I’m trying to build various decks(preferable budget decks and occasionally do deck profiles on them for the youtube content. I have enough reasonable deck ideas to build that will keep me occupied for at least another month, and that’s just for Yugioh. I also have a bunch of ideas for other games but I feel I’m overstayed my welcome in talking about something off-topic here.. so...

In terms of stuff I want to see from Nintendo I’m particularly interested in how they’re gonna handle BOTW2: will they go in another direct or just build off of the old and fix what is broken from BOTW 1? I personally would prefer the latter rather than the former but I’m mostly fine either way.

Last edited by a moderator:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Tbh there's one thing that makes me doubt a double reveal for CP7 and CP8. Min Min was unveiled around June - close to when E3 would have happened. Meaning that a double reveal would have been for Min Min and CP7, not CP7 and CP8.

That said, considering her presentation was recorded around... May, I think, that probably means the next character is probably within their "finishing touches" phase, maybe their reveal has already been recorded and is being edited right now. And there's a good chance they already started on CP8 too.

Full Direct or not, I don't think we'll wait that long, really. Maybe October at the latest.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
CP7 and CP8 ain't getting a dual reveal IMO. I personally feel pretty confident that for the foreseeable future, we aren't gonna know about fighters until like, a week or so before they come out.

Honestly, I'm not sure if dual reveals will really be on the table for the rest of this pass. Depends on a lot of things.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
No, we're not getting two reveals at once, lol. They're gonna space these out.

Like I said before...they're probably not wanting to have too large of a gap between a character's reveal and release. Rather than doing the :ultjoker::ulthero::ultbanjokazooie::ult_terry: thing where they announce the characters months before release, I suspect they'll just keep doing the :ultbyleth::ultminmin approach where they release the characters one or two weeks after their reveal.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I've got plenty of games to hold me over between Smash news.

Switch
  • Smash Ultimate
  • Three Houses
  • Mario Kart 8
  • ARMS
  • Mega Man Legacy Collection
  • Super Mario Odyssey
  • Ring Fit Adventure
  • Pokémon Sword
PS4
  • Kingdom Hearts III and the HD ReMixes
  • Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy
  • Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster
  • Sonic Mania
  • PAC-MAN Championship Edition 2
  • Shin Sakura Wars

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
A new MonHun for Switch is one of my biggest gaming wants right now, TBH.I

Oh, and have you played Generations Ultimate? I recently came back to it after about a year of inactivity and have been having a blast again.
yep, I got Gen Ult about when ity came out and I love it. My first MH was 4 I believe. Was also thinking about playing it again
Weird Question, But I know Professor Layton is one of your most wanted, but if we got Don-Chan, would you be hype?
Oh heck yeah, Don chan is acually one if my pipe dreams lol

7NATOR

Smash Master
Oh heck yeah, Don chan is acually one if my pipe dreams lol
Well honestly, I'm gonna be real with you, I think Don-Chan may not be so much of a Pipe dream

So I had a guy tell me some stuff about stuff coming for Smash DLC, He got Stuff wrong though (he did get a few right) so I can't take the "Leak" as fully credible, however one of the thing he said was interesting

He said we would get a Namco Character that's not Lloyd, as his Costume is returning. Also the character would come with Arcady Music

Now while i don't necessarily believe the leak is concrete, watching the Indie Direct, along with what that dude told me made me realize that Don-Chan could be a Legit option for DLC

To My Knowledge, I do believe he's some kind of household name, at least in Japan. I think I remember seeing him in the Arcade Mario Kart game, so he gets around. He has Nintendo Presense definitely. I Believe he's in Pac-Man's Taunt (I don't play Pac-Man like that though).

I think the main thing going for him is his Concept of Moveset. He's based on Music and Rhythm right. Well I remember that for Smash 4, Datamining the game seemed to suggest that a Rhythm Heaven Character was considered for the game, but was scrapped for reasons. In order for them to be considered, I would think that a Rhythm based moveset had to be one of the main selling points

We haven't had that Concept revisted in Ultimate since Rhythm Heaven just got Spirits. If Don-Chan is as popular in Japan as I've been told, and Namco is still on board for another charcater (which alot of people think so) I wouldn't honestly find it hard to believe he could be an option. After all, Sakurai stated that New Mechanics are an important part of these DLC Characters, and something based of Rhythm would definitely fill that quota

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
Well honestly, I'm gonna be real with you, I think Don-Chan may not be so much of a Pipe dream

So I had a guy tell me some stuff about stuff coming for Smash DLC, He got Stuff wrong though (he did get a few right) so I can't take the "Leak" as fully credible, however one of the thing he said was interesting

He said we would get a Namco Character that's not Lloyd, as his Costume is returning. Also the character would come with Arcady Music

Now while i don't necessarily believe the leak is concrete, watching the Indie Direct, along with what that dude told me made me realize that Don-Chan could be a Legit option for DLC

To My Knowledge, I do believe he's some kind of household name, at least in Japan. I think I remember seeing him in the Arcade Mario Kart game, so he gets around. He has Nintendo Presense definitely. I Believe he's in Pac-Man's Taunt (I don't play Pac-Man like that though).

I think the main thing going for him is his Concept of Moveset. He's based on Music and Rhythm right. Well I remember that for Smash 4, Datamining the game seemed to suggest that a Rhythm Heaven Character was considered for the game, but was scrapped for reasons. In order for them to be considered, I would think that a Rhythm based moveset had to be one of the main selling points

We haven't had that Concept revisted in Ultimate since Rhythm Heaven just got Spirits. If Don-Chan is as popular in Japan as I've been told, and Namco is still on board for another charcater (which alot of people think so) I wouldn't honestly find it hard to believe he could be an option. After all, Sakurai stated that New Mechanics are an important part of these DLC Characters, and something based of Rhythm would definitely fill that quota
Dont you dare get my hopes up, young man
IMG_20180521_122015.jpg

7NATOR

Smash Master
Dont you dare get my hopes up, young manView attachment 283767
I mean you said he was pipe dream, I just had to give my thoughts on him since he was mentioned and I'm actually contemplating if he's in the Pass or not. This also isn't me being biased since I don't care for Don-Chan. I actually do think he has legit merits to be in Smash, even in FP2, and yes, even over a Tales of Character. He's not mentioned in this thread too much so I'm taking my chance talking about him.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

To be fair I kinda can see the Lloyd costume returning if Heihachi’s did. Same for Gil, not that I think anyone believes he has a realistic chance

If not Don-Chan, I wouldn’t mind seeing KOS-MOS or a Dark Souls character for a new Namco rep that isn’t Lloyd

Trevenant

Smash Lord

Well I had a guy give me info such as Ken being in base game AFTER the leak, Simon being in base game AFTER the leak and that Ridley was in base game AFTER the leak. He told me Mr Peanut would be the next DLC character and come with the inside of a peanut can as his stage and I'm sure that means he's absolutely correct about stuff and should be fully trusted.

Jk but trust me the dude is trolling you if he has gotten stuff wrong. I'll just take a stab and say the stuff he got right was fairly common guesses at the time or its just stuff that he really wanted to happen so he disguised them as predictions. It's about 90% BS

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
If Don-chan ever got into smash their costumes should be based on the crossovers that Taiko no Tatsujin has done over the years like these I understand it would be a rights nightmare for a few of them though

EDIT: If we have to get a Bandai Namco Rhythm game rep, Might I suggest Haruka Amami from Idolm@ster?

Last edited:

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace
So I came across these posts that could potientally be real since one post from a french website was posted back in Feburary about 4 fighters, including Min Min, and some Mii costumes but after this 4chan post, it was deleted.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom