• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
It wouldn't likely be worth doing in Nintendo and/or Sakurai's eyes, but I honestly wouldn't object to custom move packs being offered as DLC over the next couple of years. Even if they'd be banned/heavily downplayed for online play, it would be still be worth it to have as an option, especially if now they'd be just something you could download as opposed to grinding modes and hoping you get them like in Smash 4.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Spirits I feel are different from assists (If they were to be promoted why hadn't it happened in the first two previous Smash installments and I'm not talking about a character who was an assist in the previous game then playable in the next notably Little Mac, Dark Samus and Isabelle). I admit Mii costumes have a more likely chance but still feel they deconfirm as we've yet to see any playable characters who are also Mii costumes.

The only realistic one I can see being an exception is Waluigi and that's only due to the outcry and backlash his deconfirmation got. It even got to the Washington Post for crying out loud. Even then I see him being a separate bonus DLC character like Piranha Plant.
To elaborate; characters who debuted as Mii costumes in the same game. There’s some miis of base game characters like Link or Samus, and these four kept their Miis while also being playable in base: :ultinkling::ultchrom::ultkrool::ultisabelle:. We’ve just not seen a character who debuted as a costume becoming playable in the same game (yet)

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
To elaborate; characters who debuted as Mii costumes in the same game. There’s some miis of base game characters like Link or Samus, and these four kept their Miis while also being playable in base: :ultinkling::ultchrom::ultkrool::ultisabelle:. We’ve just not seen a character who debuted as a costume becoming playable in the same game (yet)
Yeah, I realized that which is why I edited my post. Apparently wasn't quick enough.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
How do people think of the chances for a Soul Calibur character to get into smash?
Link did make it into SC2 :p

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
How do people think of the chances for a Soul Calibur character to get into smash?
Link did make it into SC2 :p
It's a choice not many acknowledge, and I think it's a possibility for sure. It has stiff competition with Tales, though.

Dark Souls is also a potential pick, but TBH I'm unsure if they'll go for that over Tales' huge appeal to the Japanese market.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I think you quoted the wrong person?
Ah you're right, changed it, dunno how that happened :p

I see you're a fan of rex and pyra, so im sorry if i have a poor expectation of him. I don't meant to demean, it's really just my own opinion on him.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Spirits I feel are different from assists (If they were to be promoted why hadn't it happened in the first two previous Smash installments and I'm not talking about a character who was an assist in the previous game then playable in the next notably Little Mac, Dark Samus and Isabelle). I admit Mii costumes have a more likely chance but still feel they deconfirm as we've yet to see any newcomers who are also Mii costumes in the same game.

The only realistic one I can see being an exception is Waluigi and that's only due to the outcry and backlash his deconfirmation got. It even got to the Washington Post for crying out loud. Even then I see him being a separate bonus DLC character like Piranha Plant.
I think this is basically just 'why hasn't it happened yet?'. Sometimes things just take longer to happen. It's kind of like saying 'Joker isn't in so why now'. Admittedly the prospect is a bit different due to how the fan base sees assists but it's pretty much the same. This ideology can be applied to pretty much anything and i think it's quite apparent why it isn't the best reason against assists

I pretty much feel that assists probably do deconfirm because of Spring Man but mii costumes don't really have a reason to unless they make you pay for them separately. Plans can change but I think they would at least try to avoid those. That doesn't really include Rex. Xenoblade pretty much only has Rex at this point. Shulk already represents the first game and it doesn't make much sense to add an X character when 2 is pretty much everything X is but better. More relevant, more known, more well recieved. Even if we get an X port Smash never pays attention to remakes, and ports and such with maybe the exception of Pokemon Trainer. That's kind of the reason why people were considering Sceptile for smash 4 DLC but that never actually came to fruition. And X kind of lost its 2 best shots. The lack of music is kind of weird but it still doesn't really make much sense to prioritise X over a character from 2 so if we are getting a Xeno character, itd probably be Rex and the costume wouldn't really be much of a factor.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It's a choice not many acknowledge, and I think it's a possibility for sure. It has stiff competition with Tales, though.

Dark Souls is also a potential pick, but TBH I'm unsure if they'll go for that over Tales' huge appeal to the Japanese market.
I don't see why tales would have that much going compared to soul calibur, though personally I love the tales series so I wouldnt mind them having a rep, though I'd love for them to go with Berseria.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Ah you're right, changed it, dunno how that happened :p

I see you're a fan of rex and pyra, so im sorry if i have a poor expectation of him. I don't meant to demean, it's really just my own opinion on him.
I don't have great hopes for him either; I'm mostly just tired of a certain crowd of people acting like he's dead in the ground while stanning a character who shows no signs of becoming relevant again anytime soon.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I don't have great hopes for him either; I'm mostly just tired of a certain crowd of people acting like he's dead in the ground while stanning a character who shows no signs of becoming relevant again anytime soon.
I don't think the mii costume is the final straw in the grave, I do think there's a chance, but yeah I just feel the chances are low.
I love your other picks ;)

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
probably late but

dream pass? dream pass.

76. Min Min
77. Bomberman
78. Phoenix Wright
79. Takamaru
80. Sol Badguy
81. Kazuma Kiryu

now rate :yeahboi:
10/10 my man, no complaints here
Since everyone else is doing it, rate my "semi-realistic" pass:

• Min Min
  • Bravely Default character
  • Master Chief
  • Rex & Pyra
  • Dante
  • Fire Emblem #9 Travis Touchdown
I guess it would depend on who the BD character is, but somewhere between 8 and 10.
I might be a bit late but rate my fighter's pass

Safe:
76. Min Min
77. Geno
78. Rex & Pyra
79. Crash
80. Dante
81. Assist Trophy Upgrade

Dream,
76. Min Min
77. Geno
78. Krystal
79. Gemini Sunrise (Sakura Wars)
80. Shantae
81. Issac
The safe pass depends on who the AT is, but the other picks are top notch. The other one gets a 7/10 because I don't know who Gemini Sunrise is.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Hit the post button a bit too early earlier. Mobile SB is fun lol.

Anyways, people need to keep in mind that with Smash, the characters between all phases weren't chosen at the same time.

Pass 2 was probably greenlight in response to the success of the first pass/Ultimate as a whole, and thus probably planned much later. And Min Min's status as a spirit upgrade has proven that they are willing to jump back on characters they already had roles for.

What I'm saying is Rex's status as a mii costume was probably added during a time where pass 1 was being planned as the only pass, and was seen as a way to throw a little bone to his fans as a little "honorable mention" of sorts. Now that we do have a pass 2, and with fellow base game-absentee ARMS finnaly getting it's chance with Min Min, I can totally see em going back on Rex, regardless of his status as a pass exclusive Mii Costume

Last edited:

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
You guys really don't think Rex's Mii costume deconfirms him?

Spirits I get but I'm of the belief that assists and Mii costumes however do.
The difference is that the Rex costume was at the very beginning of the first fighters pass and the only pass that was decided at that time, plus people just compare this Mii costume stuff to how it happend in the Smash 4 days. Min Min already proved that the second fighters pass is basically how Sakurai would draft up its roster for a new Smash Bros game, and Xenoblade 2 + Arms both had Sakurai comments that they where to late for the baseroster, but the timing now for those games is perfect.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I don't see why tales would have that much going compared to soul calibur, though personally I love the tales series so I wouldnt mind them having a rep, though I'd love for them to go with Berseria.
Mostly it's just me thinking about the Japanese userbase: Tales is pretty big over there and many of its protagonists would be received pretty well. Yuri is the clear fan favorite for them, but Lloyd is also decently liked and is going to be a more recognized face to western fans, so I personally think Lloyd has a pretty high chance to be a potential Namco rep.

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
I might do some character talk later. I'm out of my Smash mood orbit these days and only really here for the social thread.

Anything good on the rumour mills recently?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I still feel like if Sakurai and Yabuki really wanted to, they would of made Spring Man playable, AT or no AT.

They just wanted Min Min.
If they wanted to disregard her being a costume, Ribbon Girl could have been an option too, but yeah, Min Min was what they went with

Unpopular opinion: I also do not think Min Min guarantees a XC2 character. Min Min was a special request from the ARMS devs, not Sakurai’s choice. At this point Rex (or even Elma) depends on if the Xenoblade devs request Sakurai add either one

Fluttershy64

Smash Ace
The safe pass depends on who the AT is, but the other picks are top notch. The other one gets a 7/10 because I don't know who Gemini Sunrise is.
I was thinking the AT would be a top requested character (Issac, Krystal Skull Kid, Takamaru, etc) really a character to break the "rule" of AT. Gemini Sunrise is a character from Sakura Wars So Long My Love. The first Sakura Wars game that released in the west. Really any Sakura Wars character would be good IMO.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Kinda makes me wonder. Due to the fact that Yabuki wanted Min Min could that mean Spirits are still deconfirmed and this was just an exceptional rule due to that special request on his part to Sakurai?

Just something to consider.
I was thinking the AT would be a top requested character (Issac, Krystal Skull Kid, Takamaru, etc) really a character to break the "rule" of AT.
Waluigi: Wah! Am I a joke to you?

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
What I'm saying is Rex's status as a mii costume was probably added during a time where pass 1 was being planned as the only pass, and was seen as a way to throw a little bone to his fans as a little "honorable mention" of sorts. Now that we do have a pass 2, and fellow base game-absentee ARMS finnaly getting it's chance, I can totally see em go back on Rex.
I hope they do. I really don't appreciate how they were all like: "I hope this Mii Costume can scratch that Rex itch because we couldn't add him due to how new his game was...so anyway, here's Byleth."

Unpopular opinion: I also do not think Min Min guarantees a XC2 character. Min Min was a special request from the ARMS devs, not Sakurai’s choice. At this point Rex (or even Elma) depends on if the Xenoblade devs request Sakurai add either one
Oh she definitely doesn't, though I don't think she was a request from the ARMS devs specifically. Nintendo is still the ones picking the DLC. I still think they really should add him though. They did him dirty. Just...they better not make him the last character if they do this. He'd probably be less well received than Byleth if they did that.

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
Just curious about the Japanese speculation scene what do they think about Master Chief? Do they think about Master Chief in a similar way that we think about Reimu. Also do they think that if we get a Microsoft rep it would be Steve due to Minecraft being more popular worldwide rather than Master Chief because Halo and Microsoft overall is niche in Japan.
From people know Westerns' tastes and FPS genre in general, Master Chief is a decent prediction. I can't say he is a popular choice but still acknowledged way more than Rayman or Doomguy. So about the same tier as Lara Croft or Travis I say. At least being recognized by some.

osby

Smash Obsessed
If they wanted to disregard her being a costume, Ribbon Girl could have been an option too, but yeah, Min Min was what they went with

To be fair, all ARMS characters come from a single title so all of them fair game. If Nintendo specifically asks for a XC2 or XCX character, dev requests might not even be a thing in the first place.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Thanks.

I debated putting Shantae on there too but I feel like she's more of a "pipe dream" at this point.
Shantae definitely has a chance. Might not be super duper high or anything, but it's worth enough keeping open to her :)

Mostly it's just me thinking about the Japanese userbase: Tales is pretty big over there and many of its protagonists would be received pretty well. Yuri is the clear fan favorite for them, but Lloyd is also decently liked and is going to be a more recognized face to western fans, so I personally think Lloyd has a pretty high chance to be a potential Namco rep.
Fair enough, and I know from some polls that lloyd does have some popularity. If it happens I'll understand, but I still think nintendo could just as easily decide to go for something like soul calibur instead of what's popular in japan. I still would think it cool if they put the character from Berseria, it's a recent game from the franchise too, so who knows.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
From people know Westerns' tastes and FPS genre in general, Master Chief is a decent prediction. I can't say he is a popular choice but still acknowledged way more than Rayman or Doomguy. So about the same tier as Lara Croft or Travis I say. At least being recognized by some.
It would make sense that they'd want Master Chief over Doom's protagonist; Not only is it a first person shooter, which doesn't appeal to them, it's also incredibly gory, which seems to be a huge turn off for them.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Kinda makes me wonder. Due to the fact that Yabuki wanted Min Min could that mean Spirits are still deconfirmed and this was just an exceptional rule due to that special request on his part to Sakurai?

Just something to consider.
It shows that Spirits won't hold back Sakurai from adding a character so no, "Spirits disconfirm" is 100% isn't a thing.

This doesn't mean that every character with a Spirit is suddenly a frontrunner but it shows that nonplayable content doesn't prevent a character to be DLC.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
The Yakuza theming would definitely be a very large issue, regardless of how cartoony it is. They would have to remove any mention of the Yakuza or any characters that represent them and from Sakurai's past experience with them, they can be very difficult. You also have the fact the series logo says Yakuza in English speaking countries but they could probably just use the Japanese logo.
I'm not saying he's a guaranteed addition or anything but the Yakuza series already set a precedent for mingling with Nintendo characters so would it really be that weird if the series joined Smash at some point?
9ctsx57845u11.jpg

Trevenant

Smash Lord

I think Min Min herself was a special request but I don't think ARMS generally was. Sakurai said he also considered Ninjara as well as Min Min but eventually finalised Min Min after Mr Yabuki requested so. If Sakurai was asked for Min Min straight up then he probably wouldn't have had a chance to consider Ninjara or any other character. ARMS shows they aren't scared to add their own recent stuff and they may share a similar mindset to Sakurai when it came to ARMS and Rex should we get him but it obviously doesn't guarantee him but it makes them more likely. Especially considering Rex is practically the only one with an actual shot.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Rex is one of those characters who could go either way. His game isn't old enough to keep him out of the running, but he also has some stiff competition from other first-parties. You also have to remember that regardless of what happens, Shulk will still be there to rep the franchise. ARMS didn't have that, so there might not be the same sense of urgency to add Rex.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom