• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

7NATOR

Smash Master
My posts about Japanese Smash speculation scenes are nothing but just observations. So please don't take them too seriously.

With that being said, I'm posting my observation of recent Japanese speculations.

There are mainly 4 big clusters of speculators in Japan now.

A, 5chan speculation threads.
B, Nico Nico Douga and Nico Nico Pedia.
C, Musekinin Otoko and his followers on Twitter.
D, YouTube channels especially TTC1266 and their comment sections.
and E, other random speculators here and there on Twitter, YouTube, and their own blogs.

I can't really tell which is the biggest portion. They are about the same I think.

5chan (former 2chan) is the equivalent of 4chan in West.
They are always gathering information overseas. The disscussions they have aren't that different from Smashboards, Gamefaqs, or ResetEra. They talk everyday about Japanese picks and seeking for any trace of evidence so they can be confident on their characters but their disscussions tend to end with negative notes saying "think for the West".
Most talked about characters recently are Arle, Monster Hunter, Reimu, Rex, Cinderace. In order. Sometimes Crash, Hayabusa and Tales rep.
I see Arle is their genuine want. Her name keeps coming back everyday even though they are surprisingly pessimistic about her. Nagoshi insulted Puyo players hit them hard too. The CCO's attitude towards the franchise isn't the best sign for Smash negotiations. Monster Hunter, about the same as Arle.
Cinderace, many of them are thinking that they'll get a Gen 8 pokemon. I don't really see people acutially wanting pokemon, but their minds are stuck with Cinderace mainly because of the Anime I think.
Rex, also their favourite, but I see a lot of conter arguments saying that he might requires too much worktime to develop when you compare to other swordsman so probably not coming since the sales of FP2 will inevitably decrease over time. One thing I noticed is that 5chan people talk about development costs a lot. This is one of the reasons they are low-key about Arle despite the amount of talks for her.
Reimu. Very controversial. The evaluation of the character is polarized just like here. The opinions of the people think she's a viable contender are mostly coming from Touhous' recent presence among kids in Japan. The main counter argument for her is the numbers. She doesn't have official data to judge anything objectively.
Not much talks about Crash, but still I can say he is popular in 5chan. The main concern for him is wheter Sakurai can manage to get the Japanese design of him or not. Some are saying if he can't have that look then no. His situation there is more like Pac-man or Banjo. Hayabusa not so much. He's kind just a "leak" character. I don't see genuine wants for him really. Maybe Dante has more wants than him. Not many Capcom talks btw other than Monster Hunter. People there already gave up for Phoenix Wright since main staffs are all gone and Capcom is not caring about the franchise anymore.
Tales rep. Lloyd is the contender because of the West. Yuri, Cress, Alphen as counters. Not so much interests from them when you compared to the top 5 talked about characters.
And Geno. I'm sure his fans exist because I see Geno want posts time to time but no one really talks about him. Actually, I see more posts saying that they just want SMRPG music not another Mario character.
Speculates on video formats, comments on them, and thread on Nico Nico Pedia.
Character names pop up here are very diversified. I couldn't find any trends like 5chan has.
However, I only see Steve as repeated names for Western character. Puyo Puyo and Monster Hunter of course, and other titles like Pawapuro, Momotaro Dentetsu, Super Robot Wars, Disgaea, Quiz Magic Academy, Y's, Trails series, Taiko no Tatsujin, Shiren the Wanderer, Atelier, Idolmaster, Dynasty Warriors, Hyperdimension Neptunia, Sakura Wars, Granblue Fantasy, I see them a lot more often and repeatedly then Western forums.
Touhou and Fate reps show up frequently as wll as pure wants and seems like people are pretty cool about them not like in 5chan. Maybe Fate is not really, but Touhou is for sure. Tales rep has a variety. Cress and Yuri are the top 2, Lloyd and Asbel about the same, then Ludger, Velvet, Alphen, Luke, Stahn.
Nintendo characters like Magolor, Banadana Dee, Octoling, Paper Mario, Rex, Elma, Akira Howard has presence. Not many Crash from Nico Nico Pedia which surprises me. Seems like Crash and Geno are coming more from the content creators of Nico Nico Douga who are much more older than people in Nico Nico Pedia.
He is a speculator on Twitter who has some cult followers for some reason. I called him the equivalent of Fatmanonice in the Japanese scene, but he doesn't have any connections with insiders. He's just nothing more than a speculator but creates "Theories" all the time. BTW, his predictions for now are, Crash, Cress/Stahn, Hayabusa, Reimu, and a brand new Monolith character. Also Adol from Y's. He was pushing for Doomguy once but he dropped it after Vault Boy.
The followers of him are also speculating everyday, and gathering info from overseas like 5chan people do. They tend to lean towards the Western speculation maybe more than 5chan does, so characters like Crash, Master Chief, Dovahkiin, 2B, Lara Croft, Doom Slayer, Geno, Shantae has more presence than other places.
But Lloyd isn't seen as lock as 5chan. Yuri and Cress are aften brought up for Tales rep.
Reimu is also controversial in this cluster but not much as 5chan since their Guru is pushing for her. Fate, no.
Now, this cluster is... something else.
The channel introduces the speculation scenes of the West time to time but with very and I mean VERY unique narratives.
Like a video from 1 or 2 days ago informed us that the legendary leaker Sabi came back and posted multiple footages of upcoming Mini Direct and some randos leaking five brand new 3D mode data of unknown playable characters the West is on fire now and Blocked Content, the real big shot of Smash insiders, is making some moves the scene is going forward or what not, Kasumi, RWBY, so much more that an ignorant like me can't even understand what am I into.
In their realm, words from leading figures like PapaGenos, Blocked Content, WUG Martin and other names I can't even find are super influential even among actual insiders. I fell in love with their narratives when they called the collab discussion of PapaGenos, Blocked Content, and LaxChris, "The Summit Conference" and making it sounds like a HUGE deal.
What's really scares me is that no one in the comment sections is doubting the channel and some are even praising how the Western gaming media is so much in advance compared to Japans'. You can't imagine how much PapaGenos is beloved there.
People speculate there are relatively younger than other places. They are genuine but naive. You can find typical Japanese picks there a lot, such as Touhou, FGO, Atelier, and other any cute girls you can think of. Oh, and some anime characters too. Tanjiro is more popular than Kirito these days.
As for Tales rep, Lloyd isn't the top contender. Yuri and Cress are the top 2 in here as well. Ludger and Asbel too. Not many Luke, Alphen, Stahn, Velvet.
Combination of other small specualtion clusters. But they tend to overrap with at least one of four big clusters. Not many young people, espcially those doing blogs, but I see quite a few Lloyd and Geno demands from them. Crash, 2B, Dante are popular. No Touhou or Fate or other cute girls. Not many Arle too. Western reps other than Crash, I don't see them.
Twitter and YouTube, on the other hand, Arle and Reimu has presense, but not Fate. Lloyd and Yuri are popular, but not many Cress demands. Sora, Dante, Rex, Monster Hunter, Cinderace, Zhao Yun, Steve, Raiden, Sephiroth, Magolor, Banadana Dee, Crash, Octoling, Paper Mario.

EDIT: And I just noticed something. I see Sonic characters probably less than Doomguy.
There's alot of useful info here. I'm surprised the Western Speculation Channels are seen in So much Awe.

So it Seems there also seems to be a Division among the Age brackets in terms of wants. With that said, I'm surprised that the ballot didn't ask for Age (from what I Remember) since it might seem Age is also a Separate Demographic to consider, like with Gender (which was a question asked on the Ballot)

Since though the Game is centered probably the most towards Kids, Reimu would definitely be a good choice for the Kids in Japan.

The Rex Point from 5chan is interesting as well, about the Moveset taking alot of Development costs and such. I feel the Same way about Dante personally, so I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels that way about a character, even if these are 2 different Characters being talked about here

And for the sonic point, I'm not surprised. Sonic doesn't have the biggest Fanbase in Japan, let's just say. It's surprising in osme "Japanesse" Centric Fanpolls, I see Shadow do as well as he does. Not even just the sourcegaming one, but there was this Magazine Poll where Shadow did well on, along with characters like Sephiroth, Sans, Bandanna Dee, etc.

I Know you said don't take it seriously, but I still do think it's something to Consider. Sometimes Speculation and Observations can match up with what happens in the Official games.

I have to look at this more later. Thanks for the Info.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
My posts about Japanese Smash speculation scenes are nothing but just observations. So please don't take them too seriously.

With that being said, I'm posting my observation of recent Japanese speculations.

and E, other random speculators here and there on Twitter, YouTube, and their own blogs.

I can't really tell which is the biggest portion. They are about the same I think.

They are always gathering information overseas. The disscussions they have aren't that different from Smashboards, Gamefaqs, or ResetEra. They talk everyday about Japanese picks and seeking for any trace of evidence so they can be confident on their characters but their disscussions tend to end with negative notes saying "think for the West".
Most talked about characters recently are Arle, Monster Hunter, Reimu, Rex, Cinderace. In order. Sometimes Crash, Hayabusa and Tales rep.
I see Arle is their genuine want. Her name keeps coming back everyday even though they are surprisingly pessimistic about her. Nagoshi insulted Puyo players hit them hard too. The CCO's attitude towards the franchise isn't the best sign for Smash negotiations. Monster Hunter, about the same as Arle.
Cinderace, many of them are thinking that they'll get a Gen 8 pokemon. I don't really see people acutially wanting pokemon, but their minds are stuck with Cinderace mainly because of the Anime I think.
Rex, also their favourite, but I see a lot of counter arguments saying that he might requires too much worktime to develop when you compare to other swordsman so probably not coming since the sales of FP2 will inevitably decrease over time. One thing I noticed is that 5chan people talk about development costs a lot. This is one of the reasons they are low-key about Arle despite the amount of talks for her.
Reimu. Very controversial. The evaluation of the character is polarized just like here. The opinions of the people think she's a viable contender are mostly coming from Touhous' recent presence among kids in Japan. The main counter argument for her is the numbers. She doesn't have official data to judge anything objectively.
Not much talks about Crash, but still I can say he is popular in 5chan. The main concern for him is wheter Sakurai can manage to get the Japanese design of him or not. Some are saying if he can't have that look then no. His situation there is more like Pac-man or Banjo. Hayabusa not so much. He's kind just a "leak" character. I don't see genuine wants for him really. Maybe Dante has more wants than him. Not many Capcom talks btw other than Monster Hunter. People there already gave up for Phoenix Wright since main staffs are all gone and Capcom is not caring about the franchise anymore.
Tales rep. Lloyd is the contender because of the West. Yuri, Cress, Alphen as counters. Not so much interests from them when you compared to the top 5 talked about characters.
And Geno. I'm sure his fans exist because I see Geno want posts time to time but no one really talks about him. Actually, I see more posts saying that they just want SMRPG music not another Mario character.
Character names pop up here are very diversified. I couldn't find any trends like 5chan has.
However, I only see Steve as repeated names for Western character. Puyo Puyo and Monster Hunter of course, and other titles like Pawapuro, Momotaro Dentetsu, Super Robot Wars, Disgaea, Quiz Magic Academy, Y's, Trails series, Taiko no Tatsujin, Shiren the Wanderer, Atelier, Idolmaster, Dynasty Warriors, Hyperdimension Neptunia, Sakura Wars, Granblue Fantasy, I see them a lot more often and repeatedly then Western forums.
Touhou and Fate reps show up frequently as wll as pure wants and seems like people are pretty cool about them not like in 5chan. Maybe Fate is not really, but Touhou is for sure. Tales rep has a variety. Cress and Yuri are the top 2, Lloyd and Asbel about the same, then Ludger, Velvet, Alphen, Luke, Stahn.
Nintendo characters like Magolor, Banadana Dee, Octoling, Paper Mario, Rex, Elma, Akira Howard has presence. Not many Crash from Nico Nico Pedia which surprises me. Seems like Crash and Geno are coming more from the content creators of Nico Nico Douga who are much more older than people in Nico Nico Pedia.
He is a speculator on Twitter who has some cult followers for some reason. I called him the equivalent of Fatmanonice in the Japanese scene, but he doesn't have any connections with insiders. He's just nothing more than a speculator but creates "Theories" all the time. BTW, his predictions for now are, Crash, Cress/Stahn, Hayabusa, Reimu, and a brand new Monolith character. Also Adol from Y's. He was pushing for Doomguy once but he dropped it after Vault Boy.
The followers of him are also speculating everyday, and gathering info from overseas like 5chan people do. They tend to lean towards the Western speculation maybe more than 5chan does, so characters like Crash, Master Chief, Dovahkiin, 2B, Lara Croft, Doom Slayer, Geno, Shantae has more presence than other places.
But Lloyd isn't seen as lock as 5chan. Yuri and Cress are often brought up for Tales rep.
Reimu is also controversial in this cluster but not much as 5chan since their Guru is pushing for her. Fate, no.
The channel introduces the speculation scenes of the West time to time but with very and I mean VERY unique narratives.
Like a video from 1 or 2 days ago informed us that the legendary leaker Sabi came back and posted multiple footage of upcoming Mini Direct and some randos leaking five brand new 3D mode data of unknown playable characters the West is on fire now and Blocked Content, the real big shot of Smash insiders, is making some moves the scene is going forward or what not, Kasumi, RWBY, so much more that an ignorant like me can't even understand what am I into.
In their realm, words from leading figures like PapaGenos, Blocked Content, WUG Martin and other names I can't even find are super influential even among actual insiders. I fell in love with their narratives when they called the collab discussion of PapaGenos, Blocked Content, and LaxChris, "The Summit Conference" and making it sounds like a HUGE deal.
What's really scares me is that no one in the comment sections is doubting the channel and some are even praising how the Western gaming media is so much in advance compared to Japans'. You can't imagine how much PapaGenos is beloved there.
People speculate there are relatively younger than other places. They are genuine but naive. You can find typical Japanese picks there a lot, such as Touhou, FGO, Atelier, and other any cute girls you can think of. Oh, and some anime characters too. Tanjiro is more popular than Kirito these days.
As for Tales rep, Lloyd isn't the top contender. Yuri and Cress are the top 2 in here as well. Ludger and Asbel too. Not many Luke, Alphen, Stahn, Velvet.
Combination of other small specualtion clusters. But they tend to overrap with at least one of four big clusters. Not many young people, especially those doing blogs, but I see quite a few Lloyd and Geno demands from them. Crash, 2B, Dante are popular. No Touhou or Fate or other cute girls. Not many Arle too. Western reps other than Crash, I don't see them.
Twitter and YouTube, on the other hand, Arle and Reimu has presense, but not Fate. Lloyd and Yuri are popular, but not many Cress demands. Sora, Dante, Rex, Monster Hunter, Cinderace, Zhao Yun, Steve, Raiden, Sephiroth, Magolor, Banadana Dee, Crash, Octoling, Paper Mario.

EDIT: And I just noticed something. I see Sonic characters probably less than Doomguy.
EDIT2: Not many Level 5 reps too. Very few Layton.
two mentions of Octoling
one mention of Elma
they got taste 👌

SharkLord

Smash Hero

Rex, also their favourite, but I see a lot of counter arguments saying that he might requires too much worktime to develop when you compare to other swordsman so probably not coming since the sales of FP2 will inevitably decrease over time. One thing I noticed is that 5chan people talk about development costs a lot. This is one of the reasons they are low-key about Arle despite the amount of talks for her.
But Lloyd isn't seen as lock as 5chan. Yuri and Cress are often brought up for Tales rep.
Like a video from 1 or 2 days ago informed us that the legendary leaker Sabi came back and posted multiple footage of upcoming Mini Direct and some randos leaking five brand new 3D mode data of unknown playable characters the West is on fire now and Blocked Content, the real big shot of Smash insiders, is making some moves the scene is going forward or what not, Kasumi, RWBY, so much more that an ignorant like me can't even understand what am I into.
Combination of other small specualtion clusters. But they tend to overrap with at least one of four big clusters. Not many young people, especially those doing blogs, but I see quite a few Lloyd and Geno demands from them. Crash, 2B, Dante are popular. No Touhou or Fate or other cute girls. Not many Arle too. Western reps other than Crash, I don't see them.

Interesting. Looks like Reimu's really popular over in Japan; No surprise there. Probably not the same level as K. Rool or Banjo, but with how big and symbolic of indies Touhou is, Reimu doesn't need that level.
Arle's notes are interesting as well. Given my knowledge, you'd think Sakura would be more popular, given how big she is in Japan. Rex being a fan-favorite is old news.
Based on the 5chan notes, it looks like the Smash fandom's thoughts on Pokemon are universal; Most people think we'll get one, but not many really want them. Arguably, I think that's worse than being ignored entirely.

cashregister9

Smash Hero

Pretty interesting stuff here, Trails and Fate being mentioned is always neat to see, Sakura Wars, Neptunia and Granblue being mentioned is also pretty rad.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
you cant just come from a place that exclusively talks about only positive things about Geno and are ok with it to coming into a thread saying we talk about genos chances realistically to much and that its bad
What I said went over your head, as per usual Pumpkaboo.

What I said was that it makes sense for the Geno thread to talk about Geno a lot, but when the Newcomer thread keeps going back to talking about Geno's chance more than the Geno thread does, the discussion may be unhealthy.

D

Deleted member

We're about over halfway through August right now. If Amiibo Theory still holds up with Hero and Joker releasing by the end of September and the beginning of October and FP7 does come out around that timeframe, that would most likely mean Sakurai recorded his Smash Presentation sometime this month. I sure wonder what would entail on that presentation like everyone else around here.

This is a pretty fun read. I never expected there to be a Japanese YouTuber talking about other SmashTubers like LaxChris and PapaGenos.

Also just wanted to get thoughts on this:

other titles like Pawapuro, Momotaro Dentetsu, Super Robot Wars, Disgaea, Quiz Magic Academy, Y's, Trails series, Taiko no Tatsujin, Shiren the Wanderer, Atelier, Idolmaster, Dynasty Warriors, Hyperdimension Neptunia, Sakura Wars, Granblue Fantasy, I see them a lot more often and repeatedly then Western forums.
This is a pretty interesting list of games. Most of these games really aren't really discussed so much around here, and not all these games are familiar to me like Pawapuro and Shiren the Wanderer to name a few.

So here's a question for everybody: of all the games on that list, which game(s) do you think are likely to be in Vol 2? I already think Dynasty Warriors is really likely since I'm biased.

SNEKeater

Smash Master

Great post, seriously. I really like to know what is going with the japanese community, their most wanteds and how they speculate. Very interesting info.

Judging from what you're saying, it seems that a Tales rep would be a no brainer to appeal japanese fans. Also, I knew Arle was popular over there, but not that much. Haven't played Puyo Puyo but I think she would be cool.
It surprises me that Ace Attorney is seeing as impossible, even if the series isn't in his best moment.

For curiosity, what about fighting game characters? I'm guessing they don't really talk very much about a potential FGC character since you haven't mentioned anyone as far as I can see, but I suppose some names have been mentioned.

It seems to me that to a certain degree they constantly have the western fans in mind when it comes to potential newcomers, just like we do with them. Very curious.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master

Great post! Still though, looks very much like the Japanese speculation scene is very much alike the Western in some areas. Like speculation being fueled by what's percieved as likely and rumors being followed quite intensely.

If I may ask - is Knives Out (mobile Fortnite) ever brought up seriously on Japanese forums or not? I know it's insanely popular in Japan (and its Switch port did really well), but it sounds like it would catch practically everyone off guard if it got something, even as small as a Spirit or Mii Costume.

So here's a question for everybody: of all the games on that list, which game(s) do you think are likely to be in Vol 2? I already think Dynasty Warriors is really likely since I'm biased.
It'd be difficult to pick out just one frontrunner from those, but out of those I'm going with Dynasty Warriors as well due to the Koei-Tecmo connection Nintendo has already. I could see something like Sakura Wars as a rather close second.

Last edited:

cosmicB

Smash Ace

This is a very nice bit of info on the state of the Japanese speculation scene. It's really interesting how much it differs from the western one in some ways while being almost identical in other ways, haha.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
We're about over halfway through August right now. If Amiibo Theory still holds up with Hero and Joker releasing by the end of September and the beginning of October and FP7 does come out around that timeframe, that would most likely mean Sakurai recorded his Smash Presentation sometime this month. I sure wonder what would entail on that presentation like everyone else around here.

This is a pretty fun read. I never expected there to be a Japanese YouTuber talking about other SmashTubers like LaxChris and PapaGenos.

Also just wanted to get thoughts on this:

This is a pretty interesting list of games. Most of these games really aren't really discussed so much around here, and not all these games are familiar to me like Pawapuro and Shiren the Wanderer to name a few.

Maybe Shiren the Wanderer if a Danganronpa rep doesn't work out. Possibly Disgaea too, but I heard NIS is kinda in trouble at the moment...

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

I'm not surprised to see Puyo puyo being talked that much in Japan. I already said in the past, but Puyo puyo is huge in Japan and it is why I've put Arle in my predictions for the second pass. I don't think that Nagoshi's comments on the franchise would affect her chance to be in the game. The comments was made very recently (late July) so way after the dlc was chosen. And Would Nagoshi even be involved if there was discussion for Puyo puyo in Smash? I doubt it, but I don't have a lot of knowledge about how those discussions goes.

By the way, you didn't mention Yakuza in your post, does Kiryu have some fan demand in Japan? I'm curious to know how it would compare to Arle.

I could see Donchan from Taiko no tatsujin, it's a Namco ip so it would be easy to get and those games are huge in Japan and the most recent release on Switch did surprisingly well, even in the West. Idolmaster might be a possibility too but the popularity of the franchise has decreased a bit overtime aside from mobile game so I don't think it would be chose over Donchan.

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Probably because that thread treats Geno as a 100% lock. I mean, you feel that way yourself. So I don't think it's surprising that there may be more actual discussion of chances in a thread that is interested in discussing chances instead of just assuming a character is in.

A couple of things:
  • Sakurai is not selecting the DLC
  • I don't recall Sakurai ever talking about adding new worlds, just Reggie. And that was for the first fighter pass. We have no clue if pass 2 will be different
  • I don't think Nintendo would care about lore explanations of constant Pokemon worlds when picking DLC
  • We may get multiple characters that are from new(er) Nintendo IPs to promote them.
I think I was mistaken yet again, much like Professor Pumpkaboo Professor Pumpkaboo .

My statement was that what is normal in the Geno Thread shouldn't be normal here. The Newcomer Thread shouldn't talk about Geno more than the Geno Thread, and that is currently what I have been seeing.

Frankly, the Geno thread talks about the likelihood of other characters too, regardless if we should or not.

As for your couple of talking points:
  • This false narrative has already been dealt with, so I fail to understand why people still carry it's corpse around on a pole. If you truly think Sakurai has no power when it comes to picking and choosing characters that go into his own fricking game, I dunno what to tell ya. People like PapaGenos have pointed out how Sakurai's discussion of who was chosen for ARMS shows that the most Nintendo could have forced was an ARMS character, and it was likely they just said 'We need a 1st Party Rep for us to make money, and we want it to promote a new IP.' Of course we don't know, but you can't tell me Nintendo told him to put in Spring Man or something and then when Yabuki said 'I want Min Min' Sakurai just flipped Nintendo the double bird and did what he wanted.

• So I went back through presentations and it's the Banjo Presentation in which he says that it's an opportunity to add more worlds, but he doesn't specifically say 'new' worlds. I suppose we can take that as we will, though he does specifically say this is an opportunity to satisfy the fans right after.

• Since Sakurai never specified new worlds, this argument doesn't really matter anymore.

• I think people trying to argue this point miss one thing: Pokemon doesn't need promotion. Pokemon is the highest grossing media franchise, and even it's low quality games like Sw/Sh still sell like poorly-made hotcakes. The difference between Fire Emblem and Pokemon is that Fire Emblem has been taking off recently where as Pokemon is already and will forever be (unless they keep this pace up) a titan. Not to set fan rules, as I'm not a fan of them, but the only time we got Pokemon for DLC was Mewtwo and he was a highly-requested veteran. I also find it odd that Greninja got into Smash 4 before his generation was release, but Incineroar could have gotten the same treatment to be DLC (S/M came out Nov 2016, DLC ended for Smash 4 in Feb 2016) and they waited for Ultimate.

Sure, Gen 8 could get a character, but Smash has also skipped Pokemon Generations before. For the record, there is no playable Pokemon in Smash from Gen 3 and Gen 5, and if you wanna get feisty Gen 2 only has Pichu who is a semi-clone. This idea of a Gen 8 rep reeks of pessimism to me and I won't share such a sentiment. Gives off the same vibes as 'Guh Hyuck, I bet we're getting 5 more Fire Emblem characters because screw us amirite?'.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I know some are treating a new Pokemon rep as "the worst outcome", but man, I don't say it out of negativity myself. I actually want a SwSh Pokemon: I'd heckin' love Cinderace in Smash Bros.!

People are free to view a character however they wish, of course, but it does make me feel a little disheartened as someone who's a pretty big Galar fan that it's only viewed as a pessimism pick and that no one genuinely wants is. :drsad:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I know some are treating a new Pokemon rep as "the worst outcome", but man, I don't say it out of negativity myself. I actually want a SwSh Pokemon: I'd heckin' love Cinderace in Smash Bros.!

People are free to view a character however they wish, of course, but it does make me feel a little disheartened as someone who's a pretty big Galar fan that it's only viewed as a pessimism pick and that no one genuinely wants is. :drsad:
I wouldn't mind a Pokémon rep, but I just hope they will do something fun with it. My most wanted Pokémon from gen 8 would be Mr. Rime, but I would be happy with Toxtricity, Intelleon or Rillaboom. I find Cinderace to be pretty boring personally.

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I wouldn't mind a Pokémon rep, but I just hope they will do something fun with it. My most wanted Pokémon from gen 8 would be Mr. Rime, but I would be happy with Toxtricity, Intelleon or Rillaboom. I find Cinderace to be pretty boring personally.
I respect that. People are kind of burnt out (heh) on Fire starters in Smash and want something different: I just think Cinderace is really cool personally (it's my favorite Pokemon).

Mr. Rime would be super interesting! It'd be cool to see something of it's typing make it in (Ice/Psychic). Honestly, I'm pretty much gonna be happy with any Galar 'Mons, though: I just really want SwSh content in Smash.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Amaterasu would be fantastic. Imagine an Okami stage, that could be PERFECTION.

Also we need this beautiful song in Smash. Seriously, one of the best themes I've heard in a videogame.

starts crying knowing it will never happen
... Dont talk to me, Im sad :sadsheep:

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
Great post, seriously. I really like to know what is going with the japanese community, their most wanteds and how they speculate. Very interesting info.

Judging from what you're saying, it seems that a Tales rep would be a no brainer to appeal japanese fans. Also, I knew Arle was popular over there, but not that much. Haven't played Puyo Puyo but I think she would be cool.
It surprises me that Ace Attorney is seeing as impossible, even if the series isn't in his best moment.

For curiosity, what about fighting game characters? I'm guessing they don't really talk very much about a potential FGC character since you haven't mentioned anyone as far as I can see, but I suppose some names have been mentioned.

It seems to me that to a certain degree they constantly have the western fans in mind when it comes to potential newcomers, just like we do with them. Very curious.
There are people wanting characters like Kazuya, Jin, Sol, Kyo, and Ragna. Just couldn't find as much as other characters. I only saw Scorpion once. No Sub-Zero.

Maybe Shiren the Wanderer if a Danganronpa rep doesn't work out. Possibly Disgaea too, but I heard NIS is kinda in trouble at the moment...
Now you mention it, I didn't see many Danganronpa reps too. Not sure why. The game is definitely popular so I'm sure there are hidden demands for that.

I'm not surprised to see Puyo puyo being talked that much in Japan. I already said in the past, but Puyo puyo is huge in Japan and it is why I've put Arle in my predictions for the second pass. I don't think that Nagoshi's comments on the franchise would affect her chance to be in the game. The comments was made very recently (late July) so way after the dlc was chosen. And Would Nagoshi even be involved if there was discussion for Puyo puyo in Smash? I doubt it, but I don't have a lot of knowledge about how those discussions goes.

By the way, you didn't mention Yakuza in your post, does Kiryu have some fan demand in Japan? I'm curious to know how it would compare to Arle.
Yeah, I don't think it matters. Same goes for Phoenix.
What I wanted say was that 5chan being pretty pessimistic about Arle compared to other clusters even before Nagoshi's comment despite she's definitely the most talked about character.
I forgot to mention Yakuza. Demands are there, quite a few, but some people concern the fact that yakuza is actual antisocial force exists in real Japan.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

This is really fascinating. I find it kinda amusing that they often predict characters because they're popular here, like we do for Japan. Some things don't change.

The thing that i find most interesting is that there doesn't seem to be a dedicated Smash website, like Smashboards and (kinda) gamefaqs. Was there one that died off, or did nobody ever make one?

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Sakurai then decided to select a more law abiding citizen as the Capcom rep instead.

Phoenix Wright | Ace Attorney Wiki | Fandom
Mike Haggar IS the law!

01B10194-97DC-4E13-9385-745C43376607.jpeg

Thank you for this! It’s an interesting look into the other half of Smash’s fanbase! The stuff about TTC is hilarious especially since most of those channels are just dudes in their bedrooms shooting the ****.

It seems like they messed up big time by not making Monster Hunter a playable character. It seems to be one of the biggest requests from Japan & I think it would’ve excited a lot of Americans now too, thanks to MonHun: World.

It could still happen, but I really doubt it. I imagine those conversations happened for the base game but they ultimately decided that the Rathalos Boss/trophy was the way to represent that series.

It seems like Arle & a Tales character would be the big “for Japan” picks this time around. It’d be nice if we could get one of those & then a Western character for America.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

I'd be down for most Gen 8 Pokemon, but unfortunately the top contenders are the ones I'm not intrested in. Of the big 5, I'd say that only Toxtricity and maybe Inteleon interest me. The ones that would actually be cool, such as Mr. Rime, Grimmsnarl, Sirfetch'd, and Galarian Slowbro aren't happening.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

Ayooo Taiko, Sora and Yuri, IM NOT ALONE

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
It's really hard to say what Nintendo wants out of this second pass, especially when our first character was Min Min.

Personally, I'm not feeling like there's any safe bets this time. No one really stands out to me so far, and I can't say whether or not I expect things to shape up to match the first pass or continue the precedent Min Min set and be characters who may have missed out.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
It's really hard to say what Nintendo wants out of this second pass, especially when our first character was Min Min.

Personally, I'm not feeling like there's any safe bets this time. No one really stands out to me so far, and I can't say whether or not I expect things to shape up to match the first pass or continue the precedent Min Min set and be characters who may have missed out.
I'm mostly guessing based on FP1; That is, a blend of promotional, popular, and relevant characters. I'm still sticking with Reimu and Isaac, and I think Rex, Crash, and Lloyd are pretty likely as well. The last three can be swapped with any blindside character of choice.

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
This is really fascinating. I find it kinda amusing that they often predict characters because they're popular here, like we do for Japan. Some things don't change.

The thing that i find most interesting is that there doesn't seem to be a dedicated Smash website, like Smashboards and (kinda) gamefaqs. Was there one that died off, or did nobody ever make one?
Nobody ever make one or never became big as far as I know.
I think Smashmate is the biggest Smash website we have which is for competitives. ****araba was big during Brawl and Sm4sh era but quickly died off soon after Ultimate's release because most people were already moved to Twitter.

D

Deleted member

Honestly as long as the characters are fun to play I'm content. Don't really give a damn about "series representation" or popularity rules.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Honestly, the Character I'm the Most Confident in as of Right now is Scorpion. I Might add Reimu to that list later

Thinking about it a little more, I'm not as Confident in Geno as a Character as i was Days ago (but I think he will get a New 3D Model in this DLC), and (Unfortunately) I think I should Hold back on Shadow for right now, But I still believe he can make it in

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
I almost think that, if Sakurai were up to it, Smash Ultimate could work as an SFV style live service game with multiple DLC seasons and other additions to the game overall.

Keyword: almost. I know Sakurai said he's done with Ultimate's DLC after Vol. 2. This isn't me hoping for more DLC seasons at all.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I’m more confident in character types than specific characters. I’m thinking something like this:

Another Switch era character - I’m leaning towards Rex here (maaaaybe another Xenoblade character). But Cinderace or a BOTW2 character would make sense too.

Another Square Enix character - Square is too friendly with Nintendo recently & they have too many options to ignore. Geno, 2B or a Bravely Default character are the choices I see. Geno is an easy way to please Smash fans. 2B would excite modern gamers. A Bravely Default character would be there to promote BD2 & it’d be a great represent to Nintendo/Square’s reignited partnership.

A Japanese Centered Pick - I think we’ll see another Hero type character that’s geared more towards Japanese fans. Honestly some of the characters Ayumi mentioned like Arle & Yuri would make a lot of sense. Maybe Reimu as a dark horse pick.

A Western Character - With all of the western content we’ve gotten since Banjo was revealed, I think another western character is all but guaranteed. I think it’s down to Master Chief , Crash & Steve. Master Chief would bring the most attention to Smash/FP2. Crash is the most wanted. Steve would bring in a lot of younger fans.

For the 5th character, I’m not too sure. It could be a Capcom character like Dante, it could be another Western character, another Switch era character or a pick that blindsides everyone like Joker & Terry.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I’m more confident in character types than specific characters. I’m thinking something like this:

Another Switch era character - I’m leaning towards Rex here (maaaaybe another Xenoblade character). But Cinderace or a BOTW2 character would make sense too.

Another Square Enix character - Square is too friendly with Nintendo recently & they have too many options to ignore. Geno, 2B or a Bravely Default character are the choices I see. Geno is an easy way to please Smash fans. 2B would excite modern gamers. A Bravely Default character would be there to promote BD2 & it’d be a great represent to Nintendo/Square’s reignited partnership.

A *** Centered Pick - I think we’ll see another Hero type character that’s geared more towards Japanese fans. Honestly some of the characters Ayumi mentioned like Arle & Yuri would make a lot of sense. Maybe Reimu as a dark horse pick.

A Western Character - With all of the western content we’ve gotten since Banjo was revealed, I think another western character is all but guaranteed. I think it’s down to Master Chief , Crash & Steve. Master Chief would bring the most attention to Smash/FP2. Crash is the most wanted. Steve would bring in a lot of younger fans.

For the 5th character, I’m not too sure. It could be a Capcom character like Dante, it could be another Western character, another Switch era character or a pick that blindsides everyone like Joker & Terry.
How about Neku for Square? TWEWY was born on Nintendo after all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom