• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
This post has been warned for inappropriate content.
What do you expect them to do for a year? They can’t take a full year off lmao. It’s either continue working on Smash or start on their next jobs/project.

Who’s demanded on 2ch? I’ve been really curious about who’s been requested heavily in Japan in the past year. The speculation scene has changed drastically in the US, so I imagine it has in Japan as well.
From what I see, Arle, Monster Hunter, Reimu, Rex, Cinderace are the most talked about characters by far after Byleth. (and of course ARMS speculation before Min Min reveal.)
Then Crash and Tales of characters come next. As for Geno, sadly I see Genofans and Fatmanonice talk more then Geno himself.

I'll post more for the other portions of the Japanese speculation scene later when I have time.

Last edited by a moderator:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Not according to this thread. Anything that so much as hints at Geno being in is either completely fake, or is just "circumstantial" and thus might as well mean nothing.
Most people here are actually pretty 50/50 on him in here. I can't say I've seen any recent hostility towards the character.

Ornl

Smash Ace
Geno, Heihachi Mishima, Lloyd Irving, Monster Hunter, and Rayman are third-party wishes influenced by a pre-Ultimate appearance/cancellation. No such non-Echo thrid party Fighter was planned in Fighter Pass 1. So there was an exclusion of these characters, there was an obstacle or a desire not to integrate them into the base planning. Any reason, any logic. The base game, with the FP1 included, eliminated all these characters, while they already had a foot in the game, more or less, while they were leaving favorites, while Bamco could have influenced its own licenses. Bamco didn't do it. Bamco even continued to exclude Heihachi.

This non-Echo thrid-party Fighters created general surprise effects: Bayonetta, Cloud, Hero (before the Vergeben leak), Joker, Pac-Man, Ryu, Sonic, Snake, Terry. Only Mega Man and Castlevania rep was expected, and they were added into the basic games. Only Banjo was a major community wish.

Min Min has just taken the role of upgraded character. This is understandable since the wish to want to integrate ARMS into the basic game has been expressed. But, should the other upcoming thrid-party Fighters also be other upgrades of Geno, Tales, Monster Hunter, and Rayman? In my opinion, Heihachi was the most obvious candidate for FP2, and I couldn't have seen a better upgrade than him. Thus, I would prefer that the next Fighters are other Characters that create new general surprise effects.

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
As ****** as it would be for Zavok to get in over Tails, Knuckles, or Eggman, it'd also be so ******* funny that I'd wholeheartedly approve.

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
I think that we don’t mii costumes pipeline, maybe there is a team that is constantly creating mii costumes and they are some ones that are just locked for a far release.

And as I always said, every character has a chance to be playable, Geno has chances ? Yeah, Rex ? Also, Dante? Yup, Lloyd? Sure, Elma? Yes. Everything is possible and we shouldn’t forget that.

Hope that next week, we get a revealed for CP7.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Geno, Heihachi Mishima, Lloyd Irving, Monster Hunter, and Rayman are third-party wishes influenced by a pre-Ultimate appearance/cancellation. No such non-Echo thrid party Fighter was planned in Fighter Pass 1. So there was an exclusion of these characters, there was an obstacle or a desire not to integrate them into the base planning. Any reason, any logic. The base game, with the FP1 included, eliminated all these characters, while they already had a foot in the game, more or less, while they were leaving favorites, while Bamco could have influenced its own licenses. Bamco didn't do it. Bamco even continued to exclude Heihachi.

This non-Echo thrid-party Fighters created general surprise effects: Bayonetta, Cloud, Hero (before the Vergeben leak), Joker, Ryu, Sonic, Snake, Terry. Only Castlevania rep was expected, and it was added into the basic game. Only Banjo was a major community wish.

Min Min has just taken the role of upgraded character. This is understandable since the wish to want to integrate ARMS into the basic game has been expressed. But, should the other upcoming thrid-party Fighters also be other upgrades of Geno, Tales, Monster Hunter, and Rayman? In my opinion, Heihachi was the most obvious candidate for FP2, and I couldn't have seen a better upgrade than him. Thus, I would prefer that the next Fighters are other Characters that create new general surprise effects.
Aw, ****. Here we go again.

Goombaic

Smash Ace
Ridley will never get in, he's too big.
King K. Rool will never get in, that's ridiculous, he is nothing like Ridley, don't compare these two. He is irrelevant, his last appearance was in an obscure spin-off 10 years ago, Ashley will get in because she has lots of doujin that I jack off to everyday, nobody knows K. Rool besides a small pool of mentally ill smashies, his chances are zero.
Banjo-Kazooie is nothing like K. Rool (who I definitely supported from the start), don't compare these two, K. Rool is first-party and relevant, Banjo-Kazooie is never getting in it's just a smashie pipe dream.
Geno is nothing like Ridley, K. Rool or Banjo-Kazooie, don't compare him to them, K. Rool is actually very iconic, Geno is just a one-off side-character from a forgotten 25 year old Mario spin-off and he's third party, nobody knows him besides a small pool of mentally ill Smash fans. Sakurai lied in that interview to shut you mentally ill Geno fans up.
Isaac is nothing like Geno, Geno was a Sakurai pick, he explicitly claimed to want him, and he had huge fan support. Isaac is from a dead series nobody remembers and Sakurai hates him.
Krystal is nothing like Isaac, don't compare these two, she's never getting in, Isaac is the protagonist of his own iconic first-party series and had huge fan demand, Krystal is a side-character from a dead franchise that already has 3 reps.
Sukapon will never get in...
Since when were there 7 "never evers" and since when has SUKAPON been part of it? Unless this is making fun of grouping fan favorites together or something.
How about this instead

Ah yes, Memphis Tennessee.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Last edited by a moderator:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
For future reference, if you see a questionable post, please don’t quote and reply to it as it requires the mods to go in and edit or remove those quotes and replies after we take care of the actual offending post. Just report it. Thanks.

Also, Sakurai, please add Paperboy.

K, thx

Last edited:

kylexv

Smash Master
To add to the Zavok discussion, Sega has been shoehorning him into a lot of Sonic related media for unknown reasons (Forces, Team Sonic Racing, Mario and Sonic at the Olympics, etc.) and has been getting a bad rap from Sonic fans, mostly due to the Deadly Six being very weak as villains. Seriously Sega, why did Zavok get in Team Sonic Racing over Cream and the rest of the Chaotix?

Also Lost World already has good representation in Smash. It has its own stage in Not Green Hill Zone.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
From what I see, Arle, Monster Hunter, Reimu, Rex, Cinderace are the most talked about characters by far after Byleth. (and of course ARMS speculation before Min Min reveal.)
Then Crash and Tales of characters come next. As for Geno, sadly I see Genofans and Fatmanonice talk more then Geno himself.

I'll post more for the other portions of the Japanese speculation scene later when I have time.
Cinderace kinda surprises me, only that it might seems over there he might be way above the other Pokemon in Speculation. I thought at least the other Pokemon would have similar volume of speculation

Otherwise the Chaacters here don't surprise me though much, even Crash, cause i know Crash was very popular in Japan back in the day.

Since Tales of Characters is mentioned and not specifically Lloyd, does that imply there's no clear favorite over there? I know Yuri is the Most Popular Tales of character in the fanbase, and I believe even Velvet was more popular on the last Tales of Poll

and considering how 4chan has had a Thing for Reimu in Smash even before she became of or a household name in Speculation, I'm not surprised 2Ch is talking about here alot as well

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
For future reference, if you see a questionable post, please don’t quote and reply to it as it requires the mods to go in and edit or remove those quotes and replies. Just report it. Thanks.

Also, Sakurai, please add Paperboy.

K, thx
Good point. I'll keep that in mind for later.
What happened, what did you say?
It's supposed to be a slur towards the LGBT+ community, but 4chan and related sites seem to have a different usage; That is, tacking it on to the name of whatever they feel like mocking at the moment. Either way, it's something you should refrain from using.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
How about this instead
You know, the first time I saw him I legit thought they forgot to draw a mouth on Shadow. It helped that is was fanart in which he didn't look so...crystalline.

It actually wouldn't. He's speciest.
He also wants us to cringe before him.
Good gravy Sonic's writing has been atrocious as of late. I'm sure people would argue it was never good, but things like Tails saying "Who's your daddy now Shadow?" is definitely a new low. It's like, early year "I have yet to figure out how this character is supposed to work moving forward" tier bad. Like, Mario jealously stepping on Luigi's foot bad.

Oh, didn't know that word can get censored. I apologize for that. Didn't mean to pork fan of them. Sorry.

I should've say, that they are watching the Geno thread here on Samshboard and making fan of them.
This thread's treatment of the Geno thread in general isn't really ok.

Also, Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom your signature is amazing.

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Most people here are actually pretty 50/50 on him in here. I can't say I've seen any recent hostility towards the character.
50/50 is grossly overestimating what this thread thinks of Geno's chances. Every time Geno gets brought up, it's always the same song and dance...
  • He's a """"""""""side character"""""""""" from an old game that no one has ever played... despite Nintendo re-releasing the game multiple times by now.
  • He's got a huge fan following... but that totally means nothing for his chances, despite Ridley, Banjo, King K. Rool, and a good chunk of the other characters debuting in Ultimate.
  • Square Enix and/or Nintendo would rather go for 2B, Neku, or some other character who doesn't even have half the Smash requests Geno has, because "relevance" and "popularity".
  • Sakurai once acknowledged that Geno is a popular Smash request and that he himself wanted to make Geno playable at some point... but apparently he's changed his mind and will never include Geno now because he totally doesn't care now. Assist Trophies staying unplayable though, he's never changing his mind on that one...
  • He was a Mii costume before in Smash 4, so they'll just bring it back to "satisfy" the fans who actually wanted him playable (maybe even make it "premium") because we all know the Miis are just perfect recreations of their respective characters. Brawlers? Totally play the same as Heihachi and Spring Man. Swordfighters? It's like the November 1st Direct never happned and Isaac is already playable. Gunners? Practically one to one with Proto Man and X. Just ignore that a good chunk of Smash Ultimate's new fighters were previously Smash 4 Mii costumes, or that the Geno costume was absent from the first Fighters Pass despite there being three different opportunities to bring it back.

Dr.DonPatch64

Smash Journeyman
50/50 is grossly overestimating what this thread thinks of Geno's chances. Every time Geno gets brought up, it's always the same song and dance...
  • He's a """"""""""side character"""""""""" from an old game that no one has ever played... despite Nintendo re-releasing the game multiple times by now.
  • He's got a huge fan following... but that totally means nothing for his chances, despite Ridley, Banjo, King K. Rool, and a good chunk of the other characters debuting in Ultimate.
  • Square Enix and/or Nintendo would rather go for 2B, Neku, or some other character who doesn't even have half the Smash requests Geno has, because "relevance" and "popularity".
  • Sakurai once acknowledged that Geno is a popular Smash request and that he himself wanted to make Geno playable at some point... but apparently he's changed his mind and will never include Geno now because he totally doesn't care now. Assist Trophies staying unplayable though, he's never changing his mind on that one...
  • He was a Mii costume before in Smash 4, so they'll just bring it back to "satisfy" the fans who actually wanted him playable (maybe even make it "premium") because we all know the Miis are just perfect recreations of their respective characters. Brawlers? Totally play the same as Heihachi and Spring Man. Swordfighters? It's like the November 1st Direct never happned and Isaac is already playable. Gunners? Practically one to one with Proto Man and X. Just ignore that a good chunk of Smash Ultimate's new fighters were previously Smash 4 Mii costumes, or that the Geno costume was absent from the first Fighters Pass despite there being three different opportunities to bring it back.
That's how I go for Speculation, 50/50, If geno doesn't make it, I will be ok

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Also, Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom your signature is amazing.
Y,know?

Geno fans cry about not getting Geno. Crash fans cry about not getting Crash. Steve? fans cry about not getting Steve? Dante fans cry about not getting Dante.

At least these characters have a sizeable chance of getting in Smash and speculation likes talking about them.

I’m still stuck trying to drum up even a minute amount of support for Paperboy and Shepard. Last time I checked, their chances have downgraded from “beyond laughable” to “you have horrible taste in characters. Go jump in a dumpster fire that is your most wanted list.”

So I wallow in pity for eternity but, for the newsboys and saviors of the universe that I love, I will persevere. Alone if need be.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
Sonic Forces is so aggressively mediocre that it actually made the Sonic fanbase agree on something, which is that the game was aggressively mediocre.
I think Sonic Mania also made it easier for the fanbase to agree on that as well (Even among people that prefer the Modern style of gameplay I would say)

At the least the OC Creator is pretty cool, and Shadow being playable for the first time in a decade was cool tool. Just hope that after the Good wave from the Sonic Movie, Sonic Team can get their act together and make a Very Well Made game like what Generations, Colors, or Unleashed was

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Dude, chill! No need to be worried about what others say here, okay?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I don't know why the **** people would actually give the time of day to a leak containing Zavok of all characters, but I'll use the opportunity to say that I hope Sonic Lost World gets ported to the Switch. Sounds like at least a fun experiment.

I ain't paying $60 for it though, I own a Wii U, but if there's a Switch port the original will see its price drop and that's where I come in.

I won't say Geno isn't popular in Japan, in fact he still has strong followers. But not as many as people from Geno thread say so.
The Japanese votes you can see through any Western polls are from hardcore smash speculators who are always following the Western speculation scenes. Those are mostly from 5chan speculation thread and the followers of Musekinin Otoko (I say he is an equivalent of Fatmanonice in the Japanese speculation scene) from Twitter.
Their wants and the wants from the real Japanese audiences aren't the same.
TIL Japan has its own Fatman, and I dunno whether to be fascinated or terrified.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I don't know why the **** people would actually give the time of day to a leak containing Zavok of all characters,
Simple: Because they can. It's basic human nature. If we can do something, we do t to prove that we can, and then we step back and consider what we've done. I swear, we'll make fully sentient AIs one day just to prove we can, repercussions be darned.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
  • All re-releases of Super Mario RPG are either unobtainable or on consoles fewer people have.
  • Unfortunately, fan demand alone can't really get a 3rd party character it seems. If Banjo & Kazooie weren't as demanded as they were, we probably would have gotten Steve instead as a Microsoft character.
  • Relevance helps give companies an incentive for inclusion, and overall popularity matters 1000x more than fan demand, as people who like Smash are a way bigger group than hardcore Smash Fans.
  • I don't think there's any reason to believe Sakurai doesn't want to add Geno anymore. It's just that he's never been able to prioritize him over other characters.
  • Not sure what's up with the Geno costume, though it's not pretty much neither here nor there in regards to likelihood unless they do add it back. Considering Heihachi wasn't added back until wave 2, it's entirely possible that it won't come back at all.
Simply put, there's pretty much nothing in his favor. I don't think he's impossible, but I no longer count him among the list of likely candidates.

Y,know?

Geno fans cry about not getting Geno. Crash fans cry about not getting Crash. Steve? fans cry about not getting Steve? Dante fans cry about not getting Dante.

At least these characters have a sizeable chance of getting in Smash and speculation likes talking about them.

I’m still stuck trying to drum up even a minute amount of support for Paperboy and Shepard. Last time I checked, their chances have downgraded from “beyond laughable” to “you have horrible taste in characters. Go jump in a dumpster fire that is your most wanted list.”

So I wallow in pity for eternity but, for the newsboys and saviors of the universe that I love, I will persevere. Alone if need be.
To be honest, I'd be more interested in the alien dude in your profile picture than Commander Sheppard. I love the design of those guys, they look so nice.

I don't know why the **** people would actually give the time of day to a leak containing Zavok of all characters, but I'll use the opportunity to say that I hope Sonic Lost World gets ported to the Switch. Sounds like at least a fun experiment.
Because it's amusing, new, and different.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Simple: Because they can. It's basic human nature. If we can do something, we do t to prove that we can, and then we step back and consider what we've done. I swear, we'll make fully sentient AIs one day just to prove we can, repercussions be darned.
In that case, if anyone finds a leak that says Billy Hatcher is in, let me know. I want to know if other people care enough to leak him.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Y,know?

raises hand slowly from the back of the class

Actually I think Sheperd would be pretty cool in Smash drawing from Bionic, Tech, and Combat specialties and abilities for his/her moveset.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
No one is ignoring those things, people simply see things differently or have differing opinions. If everyone just agreed on everything, we'd just be an echo chamber.

For my own personal thoughts here:

1. It is valid to say none of the DLC has featured a character that isn't a main face or protagonist. Yes, Min Min is a protagonist according to her game's own creator. Also, I don't think anyone here is saying no one has played Super Mario RPG (that would just be silly).
  2. He does have a following, not many would argue that.
  3. You're just talking other characters down right there...the same thing you were just complaining about with Geno. Unless you can factually prove not as many people want Neku or 2B, it is a bit presumptions to claim Geno is the defacto most requested SE fighter when one has to consider how many people enjoy Smash outside our echo chamber speculation bubbles.
  4. That interview is skewed on both sides of the argument. It's an interview that has aged, it's validity in Ultimate has yet to be seen. However, it is still a valid point that could be used for his favor if it still holds.
  5. Shadow's AT hadn't shown up yet and Knuckles was shown off first. As someone who made assumptions about this and thought Shadow was a lock, I would caution thinking this means he's without a doubt in. It is valid to say the absence of evidence is the evidence of absence: As long as Geno hasn't been revealed to be playable, the Mii costume will always be on the table and could come. Doesn't mean it will, but it could, and it's just as a valid an argument as saying it won't be in.

Basically, it comes down to opinions. Without solid, irrefutable evidence via leaks or an actual confirmation, we're all at the end of the day taking educated guesses at what will happen based off of trends and patterns. An opinion is not invalid or wrong because it is negative against the character, and neither is a positive one right because it's in favor of. Even my post here is not objectively "right", it's just my take. Yours is as equally valid because it is yours. The biggest problem this fandom (the internet in it's entirety, really) has is the inability to agree to disagree or talk and share differing opinions with one another without having the need to prove them "wrong" and their own opinion "right".

These are just my takes on the situation. I fully respect if you disagree. :dr^_^:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
In which case, how come there's never been any major leaks starring Sakura Shinguji?

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

It's a Royal Rumble this week

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium

I ain't paying $60 for it though, I own a Wii U, but if there's a Switch port the original will see its price drop and that's where I come in.

TIL Japan has its own Fatman, and I dunno whether to be fascinated or terrified.
And people say I spend too much time making some puns or lyrics to things, which actually takes a few minutes for me.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
To be honest, I'd be more interested in the alien dude in your profile picture than Commander Sheppard. I love the design of those guys, they look so nice.
If we are going that route then, I would drop Shep in an instant and nominate my girl, Tali. But if the ideal of playable Shepard is laughable, the idea of a side character/Squadmate like Tali is....beyond laughable times infinity.
raises hand slowly from the back of the class

Actually I think Sheperd would be pretty cool in Smash drawing from Bionic, Tech, and Combat specialties and abilities for his/her moveset.
I made a moveset thread back during Smash4 speculation. It was kind of like that.

Last edited:

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
Cinderace kinda surprises me, only that it might seems over there he might be way above the other Pokemon in Speculation. I thought at least the other Pokemon would have similar volume of speculation

Otherwise the Chaacters here don't surprise me though much, even Crash, cause i know Crash was very popular in Japan back in the day.

Since Tales of Characters is mentioned and not specifically Lloyd, does that imply there's no clear favorite over there? I know Yuri is the Most Popular Tales of character in the fanbase, and I believe even Velvet was more popular on the last Tales of Poll

and considering how 4chan has had a Thing for Reimu in Smash even before she became of or a household name in Speculation, I'm not surprised 2Ch is talking about here alot as well
I'm talking about only for 5chan now. Other places has different tastes.

I don't see other names of Gen 8 pokemon. Cinderace 90%. Maybe Rillaboom once a while? Never seen Toxtricity.

As for Tales rep talk, Lloyd's name always starts the conversations. But from what I see, they aren't really that interested in Tales characters in general. So their consensus is like, if Tales gets a rep, Lloyd would be the one to please Western fans. Some Tales fans throw names like Cress, Yuri and Alphen as a counter. Don't really see Velvet.

Reimu is very controversial in 5chan. Everytime her name pops up, the thread heats up quickly. The main followers of Reimu are from YouTube and Twitter clusters.
She's not really a meme pick. Neither Saber. I don't think there's no such thing as meme characters like the West thinks.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master

...I guess it makes sense they would exclude gods, though you'd think they would at least include Ganondorf.
Also I guess this solidifies my headcanon that King K. Rool lost his sovereignty and has been sitting in a cave for the past ten years.

BZocky

Smash Ace

Fixed!

fixed.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom