• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I still think the Chorus Kids as an Ice Climber Style character but with 3 of them and with Rythm Mechanics sounds like a chaotic mess, unorthodox, and fun as **** and it’s a shame that they were scrapped.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I kinda doubt Chorus Kids were going to be multiple characters at once like that, that's the ICs' gimmick.

I think they were probably going to be like Duck Hunt or Banjo & Kazooie in that they were technically just one character themed to look like multiple.

Last edited:

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Here's an interesting question: If you could add an unorthodox pick like Piranha Plant from any series that currently has a fighter, who would you pick, and how do you think they would play? If you hate picks like Piranha Plant, you can refer to a series like Fire Emblem, Pokémon, or Final Fantasy where there the competition is so steep that even major characters within the series have no chance at being added. I will give the caveat though that your pick must be one of the lesser requested characters, so no Lyn, Sceptile, or Sephiroth.

For my first unorthodox pick, I'll go with Gemini Man. He'd be a mix between Rosalina & Luma, and the Ice Climbers. Gemini Man always starts out with a clone that mimics his every move like the other Ice Climber, but isn't the cause of stupid infinite like Luma. If either the player or the AI controlled clone gets KOed, or if one of them reaches 100%, the other one becomes the "real" one, and is now controlled by the player (the first Gemini Man to reach 100% instantly dies). The remaining Gemini Man will be solo for the rest of its stock, gaining access to the Gemini Laser, but not much else.
space pirate.png

Its moveset would be an amalgation of various space pirates across the Metroid series, and there's enough alternately colored Space Pirates to draw alt costume palettes from.

Also its up-special would make it equip a jetpack. And if it's damaged sufficiently in the middle of the move, kamikaze into the stage.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Here's an interesting question: If you could add an unorthodox pick like Piranha Plant from any series that currently has a fighter, who would you pick, and how do you think they would play? If you hate picks like Piranha Plant, you can refer to a series like Fire Emblem, Pokémon, or Final Fantasy where there the competition is so steep that even major characters within the series have no chance at being added. I will give the caveat though that your pick must be one of the lesser requested characters, so no Lyn, Sceptile, or Sephiroth.

For my first unorthodox pick, I'll go with Gemini Man. He'd be a mix between Rosalina & Luma, and the Ice Climbers. Gemini Man always starts out with a clone that mimics his every move like the other Ice Climber, but isn't the cause of stupid infinite like Luma. If either the player or the AI controlled clone gets KOed, or if one of them reaches 100%, the other one becomes the "real" one, and is now controlled by the player (the first Gemini Man to reach 100% instantly dies). The remaining Gemini Man will be solo for the rest of its stock, gaining access to the Gemini Laser, but not much else.
Only the cool kids will understand my reasoning
OO2_mania10.jpg

Smoke time

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
View attachment 282337

Its moveset would be an amalgation of various space pirates across the Metroid series, and there's enough alternately colored Space Pirates to draw alt costume palettes from.

Also its up-special would make it equip a jetpack. And if it's damaged sufficiently in the middle of the move, kamikaze into the stage.
I could see a decent fighter using the Silver variant as a base.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Ah someone beat me to it, but this is some cool stuff
https://www.reddit.com/r/mtg/comments/iaaik9
This is the closest we're getting to Yu-Gi-Oh in Smash, isn't it?

Fun fact: Did you know that in only a few weeks, it'll have been exactly a year since the last full-scale Nintendo Direct that wasn't game-specific or a mini? It's currently 347 days since the last one! Time sure does fly.
There's a part of me that wonders if the next Direct will coincide with that, and I can't tell if that would be funny or sad...

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
There's a part of me that wonders if the next Direct will coincide with that, and I can't tell if that would be funny or sad...
"It's been one full year since the last full direct! We apologize, and to compensate we have 366 announcements, one for each day without a direct".

only the first ten and last ten are anything of note. The rest is terrible filler.

Announcement 248: Look at this rock in Pikmin 3 deluxe! We slightly increased it's texture!

SKX31

Smash Master
I kinda doubt Chorus Kids were going to be multiple characters at once like that, that's the ICs' gimmick.

I think they were probably going to be like Duck Hunt or Banjo & Kazooie in that they were technically just one character themed to look like multiple.
I could've honestly seen that happening had Sakurai's original intent of having Diddy paired with Dixie back in Brawl become a reality. They ran into the ever-dreaded technical difficulties though, so yeah, there went that plan.

Had Dixie stayed with Diddy it would've changed Smash majorly - both casually and competitively. Casually / in terms of speculation, yeah that feels obvious. Competitively: Diddy was considered top tier in Brawl because he had the best shield in the game and two bananas instead of one on the field (which combined with glide-tossing allowed constant tricky pressure). He was top tier in Smash 4 too - especially towards the beginning with the "Hoo Hah" KO confirm.

We are going to go a whole year without a full direct won't we?
It's not neccessarily that that irks me personally, but their silence and them not indicating which methods they'd use to communicate. Had they announced that "We'll announce projects when they're close to ready and we'll allow our partners to showcase their projects in certain showcases" beforehand we'd at least know that they'd shadowdrop / use Partner Showcases.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord

GENGAR!!!
I would LOVE Gengar! A ghost is one of my most wanted things in Smash. I think it would be really interesting if a ghost just randomly phased out sometimes, so attacks would wiff. Your suggestion of some attacks just not working is also a good way to do it. Balance it out with the ghost being the lightest character in the game, and you've got yourself a really neat glass cannon!

The most-discussed ghosts are Gengar, Mimikyu, and King Boo. Which leads into my unorthodox pick:

I mean, why not? People get annoyed by Pokemon and Mario having a lot of characters, why not another for Pac-Man instead? To be fair, the other ghosts have far more moveset potential, but I'm sure something could be figured out for Ghosts.

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
There are so many older Pokémon that are left field that it's a shame they'll likely never get in. And plenty of them that have more merits than just being so left field that it's "funny". There's a good amount of Pokémon that are popular within their own series and have plenty of moveset potential. Yet we're just stuck with promotional pick of the generation, which, yeah, they can still be cool, but the fact that they're basically the only ones that stand a chance for Smash is lame.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Yet another confirmation of news coming potentially soon. Also some ppl on Era are theorizing that the 17th will be an announcement of an announcement for the Indie World. Ergo, announced that day, but the actual indie world airs anywhere from Tuesday to Thursday

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I would LOVE Gengar! A ghost is one of my most wanted things in Smash. I think it would be really interesting if a ghost just randomly phased out sometimes, so attacks would wiff. Your suggestion of some attacks just not working is also a good way to do it. Balance it out with the ghost being the lightest character in the game, and you've got yourself a really neat glass cannon!

The most-discussed ghosts are Gengar, Mimikyu, and King Boo. Which leads into my unorthodox pick:

I mean, why not? People get annoyed by Pokemon and Mario having a lot of characters, why not another for Pac-Man instead? To be fair, the other ghosts have far more moveset potential, but I'm sure something could be figured out for Ghosts.
If we get the Pac-Man Ghosts, I don't want it to just be the original four: I want Spunky, Funky, Sue, and Glitchy along for the ride. Let's go full-on Bowser Jr. here!
wait **** I posted this in the entire wrong place ahhhh
meant to post it in the social thread 😅
That’s what I get for not looking at the thread I’m posting in :4pacman:
If it makes you feel better, I didn't realise that was Magic: The Gathering until after I posted my response. Not the first time I mistook one for the other...

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Yet another confirmation of news coming potentially soon. Also some ppl on Era are theorizing that the 17th will be an announcement of an announcement for the Indie World. Ergo, announced that day, but the actual indie world airs anywhere from Tuesday to Thursday
  1. Who is this
  2. Is he credible
  3. If not, why are we listening to him

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Haven't those 3D Mario remasters been "sooner than you might think" for quite a while now? At this point, they might as well be shadow-dropped.

1. Who is this
  2. Is he credible
  3. If not, why are we listening to him
Dude has a YT channel which is decently-sized, I think. I've heard his name a few times already, but IDK anything about his credibility. Only thing I do remember is him saying something like "Xenoblade Chronicles X won't be stuck on Wii U for long" a while ago, and. . . uh, yeah.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Haven't those 3D Mario remasters been "sooner than you might think" for quite a while now? At this point, they might as well be shadow-dropped.

Dude has a YT channel which is decently-sized, I think. I've heard his name a few times already, but IDK anything about his credibility. Only thing I do remember is him saying something like "Xenoblade Chronicles X won't be stuck on Wii U for long" a while ago, and. . . uh, yeah.
For the Xenoblade X thing, how long ago was that? Do you remember?

D

Deleted member

Fun fact: Did you know that in only a few weeks, it'll have been exactly a year since the last full-scale Nintendo Direct that wasn't game-specific or a mini? It's currently 347 days since the last one! Time sure does fly.
Damn. Time really does fly sometimes.

But if they have a direct on the anniversary of having no directs? That would be irony at its finest.

D

Deleted member

[twitter post]
At this rate, the real 3D Mario Collection will be the friends we made along the way.

As for Indie World speculation, I hope it comes soon. I like seeing what new Indie games will be shown off even if all of them aren't for my tastes.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
For the Xenoblade X thing, how long ago was that? Do you remember?
I want to say that it was in 2018 or so? I'm not sure, since I didn't actually hear that for myself, and only heard second-hands accounts of it at best. It definitely was a while before even the announcement of XCDE, though.
Pretty sure we talked about it in the Elma thread when it was relevant, so you could do some digging there if you're curious.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I want to say that it was in 2018 or so? I'm not sure, since I didn't actually hear that for myself, and only heard second-hands accounts of it at best. It definitely was a while before even the announcement of XCDE, though.
Pretty sure we talked about it in the Elma thread when it was relevant, so you could do some digging there if you're curious.
I would imagine “soon” would be more than a year, and XCDE was announced almost a year ago alongside TMS Encore. I think X may be next for an announcement after Pikmin 3 Deluxe’s shadowdrop

esp considering COVID causing some delays

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I get that this person is moderately trustworthy, but...seriously, I feel like I could make a Twitter account today, say a few things about a fake Direct, and watch as people actually bring my posts here and ask if anyone thought I could be right.
Then do it dude. No one's stopping you.

I'm actually kind of curious how'd it turn out.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Then do it dude. No one's stopping you.

I'm actually kind of curious how'd it turn out.
I mean now that he’s said it here I doubt it would work unless he really goes out of his way to make a fresh account and populate it.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I remember some people swearing by Spawn Wave last year but honestly have no idea if anything they say is accurate.

Regardless, Mario Remasters are a safe guess atm. Those and the 3D World port are the only parts of the leaks back in March that haven't come true yet, so assuming that those leaks are on the money (I personally believe they are) we'll probably see them pretty soon. The Mario Remasters probably aren't being launched as typical releases either: There's probably going to be either something more to it, or a nasty catch. Time will tell.

D

Deleted member

The Mario Remasters probably aren't being launched as typical releases either: There's probably going to be either something more to it, or a nasty catch. Time will tell.
inb4 it’s a subscription service :4pacman:

On a more serious note I think the most likely thing is that it’ll be a package deal with an option to buy individually. Then again if memory serves this level of porting has never been done before at once(especially for 3d games which are a pain to port/remaster) so it could go pretty much any way.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
Regardless, Mario Remasters are a safe guess atm. Those and the 3D World port are the only parts of the leaks back in March that haven't come true yet, so assuming that those leaks are on the money (I personally believe they are) we'll probably see them pretty soon. The Mario Remasters probably aren't being launched as typical releases either: There's probably going to be either something more to it, or a nasty catch. Time will tell.
I don't know... as far as I know, every single direct leak that even mentions Mario remasters have been proven false.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom