• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Ryu and Roy really were a unique case. Not only were they datamined two months prior, people were playing as them the night before they were revealed officially.
And people wonder why Nintendo hasn't shadowdropped a character for Ultimate yet.
wait what??? i didn't know that part

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Feels like Deja vu:

“Leakers are the worst, they make stuff up all the time. We should stop believing them when it comes to Nintendo!”

“BRUH HOLY ****! A new leaker approaches...this time they claim to have information on Smash. It’s happening! Oh yeah, they have no credibility”.

This is going to keep happening until Fighter 11 is revealed, isn’t it?
You already know the answer to that question.
I wouldn’t mind X replacing Classic in the next Smash. We’d be getting a new character with a new moveset but we would still have a Mega Man on the roster.
I guess. I'd rather Mega Man just have 2 characters, like SF and Castlevania, despite their characters being echoes, and Chun/Alucard are justifiable icons too. Of course Mega Man has other options, with Protoman, Bass, Zero, Mega Man.EXE, Volnutt and so on. Cause Mega Man is a really versatile and sick franchise. I also feel like Sonic is another series that could get another character or two.

Well, if Mega Man X was playable, I must ask: What weapons would he have in his moveset?
Honestly similar deal to Mega Man or Kirby. There's so many moves to pull from you could in theory make multiple movesets for him. Mega Man X also has his various armors, so that could also be where he gets most of his references, like the Falcon Armor, Blade Armor or Shadow Armor.

Still if I had to pick a handful of weapons without getting into the gritty details of how I'd imagine/want him fighting in Smash.

X-Buster, Speed Burner, Frost Tower, Shotgun Ice, Homing Torpedo, Rising Fire, Strike Chain, Spin Wheel, Triad Thunder, Rolling Shield, Shining Ray, Hadoken, Shoryuken.

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Ryu and Roy really were a unique case. Not only were they datamined two months prior, people were playing as them the night before they were revealed officially.
And people wonder why Nintendo hasn't shadowdropped a character for Ultimate yet.
Didn't hear that...I remember their victory movies were leaked the night before and thought to myself

"Damn, guess that's either a hard confirm or the greatest hoax in the history of gaming ever!" Of course it was the former.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Didn't hear that...I remember their victory movies were leaked the night before and thought to myself

"Damn, guess that's either a hard confirm or the greatest hoax in the history of gaming ever!" Of course it was the former.
A fake leak would've used Roy's classic or Awakening designs, not a brand new one.

D

Deleted member

That actually happened?!

SKX31

Smash Master
wait what??? i didn't know that part

Well, yes it happened:

Despite the files being present in the update for a long time, it was not until June 13th, 2015 that they were confirmed to represent real DLC content. On that date, Random Talking Bush, an administrator of and contributor to the site The VG Resource, revealed that he had successfully downloaded the 1.0.8 update of the Japanese version of SSB4 from Nintendo's servers before it was set to release; he then proceeded to datamine its contents and post links to them on his twitter account, showing the characters' ending videos, official art, costumes, and trophies, along with the rest of the planned DLC. Later during that day, crediar was able to test out Lucas, Ryu and Roy before their release on his Twitch stream by editing the files to run over Mario.

Parts of the stream were uploaded to YouTube, but have since been taken down by Nintendo of America on copyright claims, similar to how they took videos down after the ESRB leak. All videos on major YouTube channels talking about the leak were also taken down, including those on GameXplain and the late Desmond Daniel Amofah’s Etika World Network.
Crediar's Twitch stream from that day (slight edit for clarification) seem to have been removed since.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
On the subject of a playable Mega Man X...
X is my easily my most wanted pipedream character. The original Mega Man X is my favourite game of all time and X is one of my favourite characters in all of gaming. Taking Mega Man's zoner playstyle and giving it to an agile glass cannon also sounds pretty damn fun.

In terms of how likely he is, I don't think he's impossible, but he's still pretty iffy even in a Smash 6. If Smash began double dipping into the third parties for full secondary characters, Mega Man would mostly likely be next in line after Sonic. From there, I do think they'd go with an X character seeing how its the most popular subseries after Classic, but whether they'd go with X or Zero is kinda iffy. Both have their pros and cons.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Between X and Classic I will always prefer the former over the latter. Not only is X as a character more cool and interesting, but he can incorporate air dashes in his moveset, something that Classic doesn't have. If Smash 6 ever plans to differentiate it's roster and replace characters then I can see X taking over Classic's spot.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Taking Mega Man's zoner playstyle and giving it to an agile glass cannon also sounds pretty damn fun.
Wait why would X be lighter than Mega Man?

If Smash 6 ever plans to differentiate it's roster and replace characters then I can see X taking over Classic's spot.
Me when they do: "Profound sadness!"

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Between X and Classic I will always prefer the former over the latter. Not only is X as a character more cool and interesting, but he can incorporate air dashes in his moveset, something that Classic doesn't have. If Smash 6 ever plans to differentiate it's roster and replace characters then I can see X taking over Classic's spot.
I think that they could coexist, but if I had to choose... Classic would be gone in a heartbeat.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I know this isn't related to anything and nothing aginst them but can someone explain to me why is the Geno thread thinks he is going to be announced next week? Is there a legit reason or is it just because they heard an Insider say something about geno next week but to be honest they listen to any Insider that says anything about geno. anything positive at least

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Same reason Mewtwo is a lightweight despite being over 250 pounds of (presumably) pure muscle according to the Pokedex, better represents the way they play in their home series.

Mega Man's movement is pretty restricted in the Classic series (Jump n' Shootman) and he has a much heavier sense of gravity to him relative to his predecessors (especially in the first 2 games, where Rock can drop like a rock). X, by comparison, has many more options to traverse his surroundings (dashes, air dash, wall jumps, etc.), making him feel far more agile and light. Plus, it could be a good reference to X not starting out with a full life bar in his games, while Mega Man does.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I'm probably in the minority here, but I like the classic Mega Man series way better than the Mega Man X series. This is probably for a few reasons:
  1. I grew up with the classic games, and am only just now playing the Mega Man X series.
  2. When I did start playing the Mega Man X series, it took me a while to figure out a control scheme that both didn't bother me and wasn't complete garbage. (I wanted the weapon switch buttons to coincide with each other, and the dash button needed to not be a face button)
  3. Both series have their own special brand of BS, and I'm still getting used to Mega Man X's version of it.
Plus, it could be a good reference to X not starting out with a full life bar in his games, while Mega Man does.
Oh that reminds me:

4. I'm terrible at collectathons.​
Same reason Mewtwo is a lightweight despite being over 250 pounds of (presumably) pure muscle according to the Pokedex, better represents the way they play in their home series.
I was gonna say that would still be weird, but then I remembered Samus is heavier than Ridley, so it's probably not that big of a deal.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

Mega Man's movement is pretty restricted in the Classic series (Jump n' Shootman) and he has a much heavier sense of gravity to him relative to his predecessors (especially in the first 2 games, where Rock can drop like a rock). X, by comparison, has many more options to traverse his surroundings (dashes, air dash, wall jumps, etc.), making him feel far more agile and light. Plus, it could be a good reference to X not starting out with a full life bar in his games, while Mega Man does.
I never really though of it like that... I've been concepualizing him at a arount Samus weight, but still very mobile... you probably have a point, that could be broken.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
A fake leak would've used Roy's classic or Awakening designs, not a brand new one.
Yeah that's why I stated it woulv've been the greatest ever hoax...cuz imagine people going THAT out of the way to make it as convincing as possible.

Obviously wasn't fake though. The timing also make it more convincing considering the presentation was announced like a day prior.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
If they did end up adding Mega Man X in a future game, I'd expect him to take a slightly more aggressive version of Mega Man's current style of combat, and change Mega Man to be a much more keep-away focused character.

EDIT: Actually, scratch that. Mega Man would probably still be quite similar to how he is now, though I still Mega Man X to be a more aggressive style of combat in comparison. He'll still be a very different character though.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

Me when they do: "Profound sadness!"
In-universe, Reploids like MMX are made with lighter metals than the Robot Masters of Mega Man. So Mega Man would be 300 something pounds, and I think MMX and Zero are in the upper 100's or low 200's. Not counting the Gaea Armor and things like that.

Granted, in Smash, I imagine Mega Man X and Zero would still be heavier than someone like Mario. Protoman could be a full-on glass cannon, if only because of his literal playstyle in MM9 and MM10 has him take twice the knockback that Mega Man does. But that's getting more into playstyle theory than any lore ****. On the other hand, Mega Man is made lighter than the fighting game trio(dunno about Min-Min) and Samus is slightly heavier than Ridley for some reason. So it's not like things need to be 1-to-1.

Despite MMX being my favorite I wouldn't trade OG Mega Man for him, I don't think. It'd be like trading Mario wholesale for Luigi or Yoshi to me. I want them to both be in, cause there's very few games where you can play as both and it feels like a missed opportunity.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Crash vs Mario vs Sonic

THAT is Ultimate
This dream matchup honestly needs to happen.

We have already seen Mario crossover with Sonic many times already, But we have yet to see Mario crossover with Crash Bandicoot, The closest both have come was Donkey Kong and Bowser via Skylanders.

Crash Bandicoot is currently and probably the 3rd party character that would actually shock me the most if he doesn't make the cut, It just makes too much sense.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I wish Roy and Ryu weren't leaked. The reactions to Ryu especially would have been hype.
Wasn't "no two characters from the same Third Party Company" a fan rule widely accepted as true? I have to imagine the reaction to it being broken would've been great to see.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Nate also mentioned the funny 28 number. I'm not complaining since they're saying info but why is it only Nintendo insiders that play 5D chess when giving out info? No other leaker I've seen does this from any other community.

Anyways here's a pic a friend sent me that summarizes what they're hinting at:
To be fair from what I've seen in all the "gaming communities" I know, Nintendo fans are usually more passionate. For the good and the bad.
Crazy theories, spamming "when's the Direct" on Twitter, and more. It's not like it doesn't happen with other companies, but they certainly don't reach the level of some Nintendo users lol

Yawn I'll believe it when I see it. Probably another of those so-called false predictions. Move along people nothing to see here.
*Someone posts a random leak from a random Twitter account or your usual 4chan leak, with barely any track record
- Yeah let's gonna talk about it
*Zell, a very known insider since years and with high credibility, seems to be teasing a Direct for the 28th
- Nah I don't believe it, it's probably nothing

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Here's how I think the Mega Man Cast would play out if given a bunch more characters:
  • Mega Man-A mid range zoner just like he is now.
    • Proto Man-Proto Man takes more damage from attacks (he uses the same multiplier as Bowser Jr.) but he can nullify projectiles on frame 1 by jumping, and not inputting an aerial attack or air dodge. He also fires two slightly more powerful buster shots instead of three.
  • Mega Man X-He has the same buster shot mechanics as Mega Man, but that's all that's similar. Mega Man X is much more mobile, and his playstyle is a bit more aggressive.
  • Zero-A straight up rush down character. He does not have the buster mechanic, but his Forward Smash is still a charge shot to keep the parallels between these characters.
  • Sigma-Like all imposing boss characters, he'd probably be a heavy, though I'd imagine he'd be more on the aggressive side of the spectrum.
  • Dr. Wily-Fighting inside the Wily Machine S (a new design made for this specific game, Dr. Wily would be a heavy zoner. His projectiles are oppressive, but if you get him offstage, he'll have to eject, and be in the much weaker and lighter Wily Capsule S.

D

Deleted member

*Zell, a very known insider since years and with high credibility, seems to be teasing a Direct for the 28th
How credible are we talking? Not too familiar with leaks in general so I’m pretty unsure.

Last edited by a moderator:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I think I am missing something, but first, they, the leakers say something about something happening between the 11th and the 22nd. Then they say there will be an Indie Direct on the 17th and a General Direct or something else on the 24th. And now a General Direct on the 28th? Unless I am wrong about something, what is going on here?
Looks to be different sources. That, and a pit stop before the main event was mentioned by Tsubasa/Zell. Assuming we really get get an Indie World on the 17th, that would line up with both the pit stop and the 11th-22nd range.

Dr.DonPatch64

Smash Journeyman
Sakura's from Sakura Wars and Chosen Undead is the Dark Souls player character. Sakura wears traditional Japanese garb. Chosen Undead is usually depicted wearing full-plate European armor, though they can be in robes or leather armor instead. Not a picture exactly, but that's where they're from.
Ok, I know Sakura, and thanks for mentioning Chosen Undead being from Dark Souls

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
This 'August 28th' Direct will be just as disappointing as every other Direct this year has been. Why bother waiting it with bated breath? Just get upset now and get it all out of your system. Then maybe you'll have low enough expectations to be happy that they showed a 5 second clip of Metroid Prime "Definitely Not Cancelled" 4 and reveal another Wii U port that isn't the one you wanted.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Here's how I think the Mega Man Cast would play out if given a bunch more characters:
  • Mega Man-A mid range zoner just like he is now.
    • Proto Man-Proto Man takes more damage from attacks (he uses the same multiplier as Bowser Jr.) but he can nullify projectiles on frame 1 by jumping, and not inputting an aerial attack or air dodge. He also fires two slightly more powerful buster shots instead of three.
  • Mega Man X-He has the same buster shot mechanics as Mega Man, but that's all that's similar. Mega Man X is much more mobile, and his playstyle is a bit more aggressive.
  • Zero-A straight up rush down character. He does not have the buster mechanic, but his Forward Smash is still a charge shot to keep the parallels between these characters.
  • Sigma-Like all imposing boss characters, he'd probably be a heavy, though I'd imagine he'd be more on the aggressive side of the spectrum.
  • Dr. Wily-Fighting inside the Wily Machine S (a new design made for this specific game, Dr. Wily would be a heavy zoner. His projectiles are oppressive, but if you get him offstage, he'll have to eject, and be in the much weaker and lighter Wily Capsule S.
Do you think Zero would use his X design, his Zero design, or both as alts? Because if both is how he'd go, he'd have to choose between the arm cannon from X and the handheld gun from Zero. Or would he just stick to his Z-Saber alone?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
This 'August 28th' Direct will be just as disappointing as every other Direct this year has been. Why bother waiting it with bated breath? Just get upset now and get it all out of your system. Then maybe you'll have low enough expectations to be happy that they showed a 5 second clip of Metroid Prime "Definitely Not Cancelled" 4 and reveal another Wii U port that isn't the one you wanted.
Ugh! This direct was trash! I can't believe they'd make us wait all this time just for a bunch of titles nobody asked for? What really boggles me though is that they had a game that actually looked somewhat interesting in the Japanese direct, but not in the English one even though it will recieve a U.S. release. Just...Why?

Do you think Zero would use his X design, his Zero design, or both as alts? Because if both is how he'd go, he'd have to choose between the arm cannon from X and the handheld gun from Zero. Or would he just stick to his Z-Saber alone?
Both. If you use the Mega Man X skin, he fires his Forward Smash with his buster, and if you use the Mega Man Zero skin, he fires his Forward Smash with the blaster. They could also take a few creative liberties and give both skins some of Mega Man Zero's other gadgets. Even if they do so though, I'd imagine most of the moveset will be from his appearances in Mega Man X.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Chances are its probably gonna be another Partner Mini Direct with nothing exciting.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
So far there's one rule for third parties that I hope gets broken at some point, and that rule is that there can be only one third party character from a specific series unless they are an echo like Ken and Ritcher.

It would be cool to get another Final fantasy or street fighter character.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
So far there's one rule for third parties that I hope gets broken at some point, and that rule is that there can be only one third party character from a specific series unless they are an echo like Ken and Ritcher.

I hope that rule stays intact. Every company in smash as of right now has a wonderful variety of great franchises and hard focusing on one over using a character to represent another franchise would be the most disappointing outcome for me. There is no universe where I'd give up 2B for Tifa or Dante for Chun-Li.

Miles of SmashWiki

Smash Apprentice

This is one of those "rules" where I think it's very likely to stay this way. Not because I don't want more characters from the existing 3rd party franchises, mind you... Rather, because I think that given the choice between, say, Chun-Li or Phoenix Wright, or between Terra and Crono, the Smash devs would almost certainly go for including a newly-represented, famous franchise over extending the existing ones.

Obviously this can certainly be proven wrong in the future, but taking into account the fact that the 2nd Castlevania character was Richter and not Alucard, and that Sonic (the most recurring 3rd party franchise in Smash) still only has one character, it doesn't seem like they're in a rush to change this framework.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
I can still remember it. Someone managed to snatch the DLC through some kind of update that was supposed to come the next day and used it to hack Ryu into Mario's slot, and then showed it in a stream. Dunno how that happened, but my brother and I were pretty impressed and we looked forward to his release.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Here's an interesting question: If you could add an unorthodox pick like Piranha Plant from any series that currently has a fighter, who would you pick, and how do you think they would play? If you hate picks like Piranha Plant, you can refer to a series like Fire Emblem, Pokémon, or Final Fantasy where there the competition is so steep that even major characters within the series have no chance at being added. I will give the caveat though that your pick must be one of the lesser requested characters, so no Lyn, Sceptile, or Sephiroth.

For my first unorthodox pick, I'll go with Gemini Man. He'd be a mix between Rosalina & Luma, and the Ice Climbers. Gemini Man always starts out with a clone that mimics his every move like the other Ice Climber, but isn't the cause of stupid infinite like Luma. If either the player or the AI controlled clone gets KOed, or if one of them reaches 100%, the other one becomes the "real" one, and is now controlled by the player (the first Gemini Man to reach 100% instantly dies). The remaining Gemini Man will be solo for the rest of its stock, gaining access to the Gemini Laser, but not much else.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Here's an interesting question: If you could add an unorthodox pick like Piranha Plant from any series that currently has a fighter, who would you pick, and how do you think they would play? If you hate picks like Piranha Plant, you can refer to a series like Fire Emblem, Pokémon, or Final Fantasy where there the competition is so steep that even major characters within the series have no chance at being added. I will give the caveat though that your pick must be one of the lesser requested characters, so no Lyn, Sceptile, or Sephiroth.

For my first unorthodox pick, I'll go with Gemini Man. He'd be a mix between Rosalina & Luma, and the Ice Climbers. Gemini Man always starts out with a clone that mimics his every move like the other Ice Climber, but isn't the cause of stupid infinite like Luma. If either the player or the AI controlled clone gets KOed, or if one of them reaches 100%, the other one becomes the "real" one, and is now controlled by the player (the first Gemini Man to reach 100% instantly dies). The remaining Gemini Man will be solo for the rest of its stock, gaining access to the Gemini Laser, but not much else.
Guardian: An extrordinarily heavy character that's incredibly hard to beat if you don't know how to fight them, but really easy if you do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom