• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Woah, Akira from Rival Schools is going to be in Street Fighter V! Good to see that series back in some way!

Capcom did good with that. Now.....MvC4 please, Capcom? This was great. Now go even further beyond.

Shroob

Sup?
Assuming we have 3 standalone stages, what would you want to see? For me it would be:
-Rainbow road from Smash 3ds
-A Rhythm heaven stage
-A Tetris stage
It's 2 stages. With the new 2 Random buttons + Small Battlefield + Custom Stages On, there's only room for an additional 2.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Woah, Akira from Rival Schools is going to be in Street Fighter V! Good to see that series back in some way!

Capcom did good with that. Now.....MvC4 please, Capcom? This was great. Now go even further beyond.
Since the roadmap for the fifth season seems to be until 2022 I'm gonna guess that they're working on another fighting game which is why the development for this game is slowing down a bit.

In other news now that only one fighter remains for the fifth pass I'm pessimistic about Makoto's outlook and I'm a bit sad she's gonna miss out. Here's to hoping she at least makes it to SF6.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
It's 2 stages. With the new 2 Random buttons + Small Battlefield + Custom Stages On, there's only room for an additional 2.
You can tell that they were really trying to fill out those spaces with those redundant Battlefield and Omega buttons.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Shroob

Sup?
You can tell that they were really trying to fill out those spaces with those redundant Battlefield and Omega buttons.
To be honest though, I like 'em.

Unnecessary? Absolutely.

Very convenient? Also yes.

May have heavily hit speculation in regards to a potential 3rd pass, but these buttons are nice lol.

SKX31

Smash Master
Those buttons brought in a feature from the online (the stage preference - Battlefield, Omega, Small Battlefield) into the offline Smash mode.

It's useful when one wants a specific stage setup (for practice, friendlies or just casual stuff), but not looking for a specific stage / background.

Also, a smaller announcement happened today (yes, it's a port, still):

Chinese Parents was first released on Steam and saw favorable reception there, Raising sim, developed by Shanghai-based Coconut Island Games.

(Like seriously this is another game that could've been on the Partner Showcase...)

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

Unnecessary? Absolutely.

May have heavily hit speculation in regards to a potential 3rd pass, but these buttons are nice lol.
Though their functionality could still have been implemented into the X button like it is on all the other stages so it is a bit of an odd choice.

Shroob

Sup?
Though their functionality could still have been implemented into the X button like it is on all the other stages so it is a bit of an odd choice.
Is it really?

People were wondering "Wait, why are there still 5 empty spaces after the 2nd pass?"

They're there to fill space while also being convenient.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Pac-Maze from 3DS neeeeeeeeeds to come back if we are getting more stages. That neon maze is literally one of the most iconic settings in any video game, and the stage itself was fun to play on. Still haunted by the fact that they kept Pac-Land but not the maze.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Is it really?

People were wondering "Wait, why are there still 5 empty spaces after the 2nd pass?"

They're there to fill space while also being convenient.
Unless they're planning on ending with a perfect rectangle, yeah.

It's not a dealbreaker or anything (I'm not even mad), but from a design standpoint there's no real reason for these two functions to take up any GUI space (unless again, they're going for a perfect rectangle. In which case I will love the fact that they exist).

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Unless they're planning on ending with a perfect rectangle, yeah.

It's not a dealbreaker or anything (I'm not even mad), but from a design standpoint there's no real reason for these two functions to take up any GUI space (unless again, they're going for a perfect rectangle. In which case I will love the fact that they exist).
I mean, by the looks of it, it does indeed seem like they're planning to end on a perfect rectangle.

It's too early to say for 100% certainty, but with how this game's SSS is laid out, I honestly feel like that's the case.

RaintheCriminalWhirlwind

Smash Journeyman

Man, I an so happy to see a Rival Schools rep in SFV. I kind of wish we could have Akira in smash now

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
With Pikmin coming out in October and no September game in sight, I think its best to write this year off over. Every industry is a mess right now due to covid, with the video game industry all of the events except arguably the PS5 reveal have been disappointing. My country is being hard by the pandemic due both my government and at least a good 70% of my fellow citizens being complete morons. Japan right now is also seeing spikes in cases, that will likely effect all of its industry especially the video game industry.
I dunno Xbox lookin' pretty fire right now with a likely affordable console and Game Pass. Granted, I'll still probably get Playstation for Kingdom Hearts and Persona, but it's not an entirely dead year.

It's really only a dead year for Nintendo fans.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Oh man, speaking of stages, I’d love if they brought back Meta Crystal from 64, especially if they brought it up to modern standards like Project M.

Not the most exciting layout, I’ll grant you, but it’d be awesome to have that stage be selectable in an official Smash game.

ZelDan

Smash Master
This Pikmin 3 news puts me in a pretty awkward situation.

I bought a used copy of Pikmin 3 on the Wii U, but never got around to actually playing it. If I ever somehow actually gain interest in playing the game, it would probably make more sense to just play the Wii U version, but that version has less stuff, and I don't really feel like going through the hassle of setting up my Wii U. I could always buy the Switch version but then I'd feel like a dope for buying a new version of a game when I never even touched the older version of a game I already bought.

This is a predicament I've never had before. :dizzy:

Shroob

Sup?
Oh man, speaking of stages, I’d love if they brought back Meta Crystal from 64, especially if they brought it up to modern standards like Project M.

Not the most exciting layout, I’ll grant you, but it’d be awesome to have that stage be selectable in an official Smash game.
While I'm still expecting just bonus stages from other parts of the game ala World of Light, Meta Crystal is one I keep coming back to for some reason as well, dunno why.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

Unnecessary? Absolutely.

I mean it may have hit speculation, sure, but it really shouldn’t. I guess people assume that once those spots are added no more can be added after but that’s definitely not the case.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I mean it may have hit speculation, sure, but it really shouldn’t. I guess people assume that once those spots are added no more can be added after but that’s definitely not the case.
^ this

i mean they DID add a new row after Min Min's stage was added, so it is possible, and afaik there's no upper limit to the SSS before a crash, only (atm) the CSS

Shroob

Sup?
^ this

i mean they DID add a new row after Min Min's stage was added, so it is possible, and afaik there's no upper limit to the SSS before a crash, only (atm) the CSS
You're not wrong, but I just don't see the case where they add another row for a paltry 4 stages.

We know from the word of God himself that, as of now, "These six characters are all that's left". Could that change in the future? I suppose, but right now, we're dealing with the evidence presented, and you can't get any better than the man's word itself.

7NATOR

Smash Master
By the way, Does anyone have the source on Sakurai saying Small Battlefield took awhile to make?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
if those 4 extra spots were WoL stages I can imagine the following:

- Rathalos's Stage
- Galleom's stage (seen in Joker's trailer)
- Ganon's stage
- Galeem & Dharkon (final battle) stage, basically a reskinned Battlefield with a revolving light & dark background... but when it does stuff when Galeem or Dharkon is defeated and without them.... maybe that won't work

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero

- Rathalos's Stage
- Ganon's stage
- Galeem & Dharkon (final battle) stage, basically a reskinned Battlefield with a revolving light & dark background... but when it does stuff when Galeem or Dharkon is defeated and without them.... maybe that won't work
Aren’t all of the boss stages just walk-offs though?

RileyXY1

Smash Hero

- Rathalos's Stage
- Ganon's stage
There's only 2 slots left. Five of them are for the other stages in the second Fighter Pass while one of the spots is used to turn off Custom Stages in the Random Stage menu.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Pac-Maze from 3DS neeeeeeeeeds to come back if we are getting more stages. That neon maze is literally one of the most iconic settings in any video game, and the stage itself was fun to play on. Still haunted by the fact that they kept Pac-Land but not the maze.
That is indeed cursed. Which is a shame, since they could have updated or removed the gimmick, and just have a cool stage.

At least with the Battlefield and FD updates, you can listen to Pac-Maze/Block Plaza(I forget the exact name), without dealing with MS Paint.

I.D.

Smash Lord
This fighters pass will not have a shillpick because Nintendo has no new games

D

Deleted member

Some people in here seem to be of the belief that 2020 was gonna be a slow year for 1st Party games, and COVID just so happened to make things even slower. It makes it sound like Smash DLC was the main big announcements Nintendo planned on pumping out throughout the year instead of revealing new projects or additional info on games currently being developed on.

Anyways, I never played Pikmin 3 since I didn't own a Wii U, so I'm certainly happy to see a Deluxe version for the Switch. I've always liked Pikmin, so I'll buy this sometime after it comes out.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Some people in here seem to be of the belief that 2020 was gonna be a slow year for 1st Party games, and COVID just so happened to make things even slower. It makes it sound like Smash DLC was the main big announcements Nintendo planned on pumping out throughout the year instead of revealing new projects or additional info on games currently being developed on.

Anyways, I never played Pikmin 3 since I didn't own a Wii U, so I'm certainly happy to see a Deluxe version for the Switch. I've always liked Pikmin, so I'll buy this sometime after it comes out.
It's mostly that the Switch seems to have a cycle of non-stop releases for one year, followed by a lull the next. 2017 was the Switch's big launch, and included all the big system-sellers: Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Splatoon 2, and Super Mario Odyssey. 2018 was comparatively weak, pretty much being carried by Super Smash Bros. Ultimate's hype train. 2019 bounced back, with lots of great games like Astral Chain, Ring Fit, and Three Houses, plus multiple big Smash reveals. There's also Sword and Shield, which, while divisive, sold extremely well. 2020 seemed like it would be a bit slower regardless, and we have no idea how much COVID shoved things back. I imagine some games like Bayonetta 3 were meant to be in the later half f the year, but got pushed back to next year because of quarantine.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Taken from the Geno thread so take with a grain of salt but

Well this is huge, King Zell says that there will be a September game (Pikmin 3 will be lauched in October 30th). Nathan also said that in the past:
View attachment 281425
Also, it look like Grubb's message about something between 11th-22nd still in play: View attachment 281426
time to arrange my Xenoblade X summoning circle

ZelDan

Smash Master

A game in September isn't surprising at all, and I and many have been thinking we'd get a full direct Spetmber.

Also good god is that resetera post way too small to read in that post

SharkLord

Smash Hero

I'd suggest the oft-rumored Mario 35th anniversary remasters, but I feel like those might need a bit more advertising than just a month in advance. It's probably something a bit smaller in scale to tie us over, like a spin-off game or small new IP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom