• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Calling it now this Small Battlefield update was made to tie us over until the next full direct which won't be until late September or early October at least.
Aren't you the optimistic one.

wait im blankin i coulda sworn it was just uncontrollable a la ywkon for shulk/fiora
Yeah, you blankin'. There was also a shortened version of Wir Fliegen for when you use Overdrive with her.

D

Deleted member

Aren't you the optimistic one.

Yeah, you blankin'. There was also a shortened version of Wir Fliegen for when you use Overdrive with her.
ah **** i completely forgot. in fairness its 3 am

wf do be slappin tho fr top ten xc tracks. im sure if i understood german it would suck but luckily it is all simple Gibberish

Calamitas

Smash Champion
ah **** i completely forgot. in fairness its 3 am

wf do be slappin tho fr top ten xc tracks. im sure if i understood german it would suck but luckily it is all simple Gibberish
I mean, the lyrics are still fine if you actually understand German, so there's no terrible grammar or anything like that. But the pronounciation of the words is just off to a point where a native speaker won't even understand a single word unless it's pointed out that the song is in German.

Arcane Jill

Smash Apprentice
I don't think Nintendo is Gate-Keeping indies

I just think that the potential Indie reps either have certain things against them, or just out-Prioritized by other Established franchises that have more merit to their inclusion

I also think a Big part is a lack of Legacy as well. Reimu and Shantae are the only Popular Indies that have been around for awhile. Sans, Shovel Knight, and Cuphead are popular, but they have really on been part of one game, they are getting expansions, but it's just one game currently

If you look at all the 3rd Parties we got, The only real recent 3rd Party characters are Bayonetta, Joker, and Luminary. Bayonetta became almost like a Nintendo Franchise with Nintendo Publishing the 2nd Bayonetta game, and Joker and Luminary are just the recent Protags of a long standing Series.

Not to say it's impossible for Indies or even recent 3rd parties to get in. I just say that this might hurt their chances, but they shouldn't be counted out. There are other merits to consider after all
Pretty much this. Most indies lack legs, which would hurt confidence in them. Might be too early for Indies to be considered, but who knows?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I just don't think the remaining indie characters are ones we'd get above the ones that seem to be out of the running.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
Sakurai in 2021: "DLC is finally done, I can go and work on another Project."

Nintendo: "SAKURAI! Can you please help us port Smash Ultimate to the Switch 2 as a launch title? Maybe make 1 or 2 more characters for us please?"

Sakurai: ....

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160

Nintendo: "SAKURAI! Can you please help us port Smash Ultimate to the Switch 2 as a launch title? Maybe make 1 or 2 more characters for us please?"

As much as I appreciate Sakurai, Smash Bros. has gotten massive since being an expected Japan-exclusive throwaway title in 1999.
He doesn't HAVE to be the director of every single installment.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
I would LOVE a World of Light Expansion. I think there's enough Spirits that weren't in that mode and that have been added to the game since launch in order to make another smaller map like the FInal Battle or Dracula's Castle.
THIS! I've been wanting a World of Light expansion since the Hero trailer. It'd honestly be cool to see a small storyline in World of Light where the DLC characters are the focus for it.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
THIS! I've been wanting a World of Light expansion since the Hero trailer. It'd honestly be cool to see a small storyline in World of Light where the DLC characters are the focus for it.
I'd pay good money for more cutscenes set during World Of Light. That's what I want. I doubt they'll ever do it since paid expansions outside of characters don't seem to be Smash's forte like other fighting games.

Shroob

Sup?
Looking at the Stage Select Screen now that my Switch is charged, yeah, I'm convinced now that a 3rd season is *probably* not happening lol.

Back when Min Min came out, there was always a nagging sense of "Why would there be 5 empty spots if they didn't intend to fill them?" Well, seems like them filling them with bonus stages could very well be a possibility now. Two random buttons for FD/Battlefield and Smol-battlefield take 3 of those 5 spots.

They could add yet another row, no denying that, but with Sakurai saying "Season 2 and I'm done", with this update? Tbh I believe him now.

Edit: Looking at it with Custom stages on, which I'm going to go ahead and assume that's what the devs have in mind as to not have to add yet another row JUST for the custom stage button, there's 2 spots left accounting for the 5 stages we've yet to get and the custom stage icon. Makes me wonder what those supposed 2 stages could be?

Galeem/Dharkon's stage and one other, maybe?

Edit 2: I still think people should 'consider' that there could be more characters after this pass, but I'm going to go forward thinking otherwise. This, coupled with Sakurai's statement flat out saying that DLC is coming to a close with the 2nd pass, is enough for me to believe that, as of now, this pass is all that's left. We'll probably get 1-2 more easy stages ala Little Battlefield to fill in the last few slots, and... that'll probably be it tbh. Yes, Plant did not come with a stage, but Plant was also meant to be base game, or at the very least, was worked alongside the base game, and Ultimate barely had any 'new' stages to begin with. I just do not, in any way, shape, or form, see us getting DLC characters as stand-alones once this pass is done. This is the end of the road, the end of a long, LONG journey. Yes, there are indeed 4 World of Light slots that would go unused. Yes, the Character Select Screen does indeed go to 90 before crashing... but as of right now, every piece of evidence says otherwise.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
I always found it weird how Poke Floats managed to become popular despite that. Was it used in a tournament or something?
Well:

Poké Floats was originally deemed legal as a counterpick, on the basis that its movement was entirely deterministic and not fast enough to cause an overreliance on mobility, though some characters could have trouble recovering or going from float to float. Eventually, however, the stage was banned from tournament play due to the possibility of stage spikes, and recovery being made difficult by the odd movements and collision detection of some floats, as seen in this clip. It was also deemed as giving a major advantage to Fox because of how easy it was to time out opponents by stalling and the small vertical blast zones, which Fox's KO moves are oriented around.
If one looks at really old competitive Melee footage (ca. 2007) one can see stages like Floats and Mute City. Post-ban it sees play as a Gentleman's (aka. all competitive Smashers involved in a match agree on a banned stage - doesn't happen often, but still):

Top_20_Banned_Stage_Shenanigans_-_Super_Smash_Bros.gif

I'd imagine it's a decently popular casual stage too (it not reappearing in a later Smash game helps).

Also, I'm overall happy with Small Battlefield. The platforms being low do seemingly help a lot of characters: notably :ultlittlemac:, who can reach the platforms in one jump. He can also up-smash and KO Punch from underneath. Noting him since he's very vurnerable to platform camping, which is generally a major issue for him in competitive. So Small Battlefield helps him out a bit.
Most importantly, now I can put Environmental Noises on full blast on a number of legal stages (plus one likely legal). :4pacman:

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
So we got Small Battlefield? I could see the next Fighter update focus on making Small Battlefield versions for all stages.

Also I kind of low key want a small adventure mode DLC that focuses on the previously cut roster (Like Snake, Wolf, Young Link, Pichu, etc.) and have them make a story of how they returned to Smash Bros.

edit: Never mind, they can't do small battlefield for all stages so that's the reason why every single music track can be played on the stage.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I still think echoes are a possibility, it seems like something Sakurai would want to do as an extra gift. Though, I imagine we’d get them throughout the course of the next year. FP11 will be the finale.

That makes me wonder if FP11 will be a choice that people care about this time. If this is the end of Sakurai’s all the way from Smash 4 production then maybe he wants to go out with a bang?

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
If their doing free stage updates, can we please have the training stage playable outside of training mode?
That would be great...

Shroob

Sup?
I still think echoes are a possibility, it seems like something Sakurai would want to do as an extra gift. Though, I imagine we’d get them throughout the course of the next year. FP11 will be the finale.

That makes me wonder if FP11 will be a choice that people care about this time. If this is the end of Sakurai’s all the way from Smash 4 production then maybe he wants to go out with a bang?
I'd say the same but:

https://www.siliconera.com/masahiro...ne-after-releasing-the-next-6-dlc-characters/

Among other sites that have sourced the same comment.

To be blunt, this game's gone on for... frankly a very long time. By the time that last character drops in 2021, that will mean that Ultimate will have had DLC for 3 whole years, most games can't even dream of that, and Ultimate will almost assuredly still get some balance patches afterwards as well.

Frankly, I'm more than okay with this being the stopping point, especially if we're getting a few free, extra stages as bonus.

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
First, I appreciate how you can now select any music for the Battlefield and Final Destination stages. But now I really think Fighter Pass 2 will be it. Why else would they give the Battlefield and Final Destination options their own spots than to help fill the stage? I just wonder what the two extra spots are going to be used for.

Minecraft stage?

Shroob

Sup?
First, I appreciate how you can now select any music for the Battlefield and Final Destination stages. But now I really think Fighter Pass 2 will be it. Why else would they give the Battlefield and Final Destination options their own spots than to help fill the stage? I just wonder what the two extra spots are going to be used for.

Minecraft stage?
My guess is they're going to be somewhat "low effort" stages that aren't that hard to either slightly modify from an existing stage, or chop out from one part of the game and make playable elsewhere.

My mind always goes to Galeem and Dharkon's stage as a sort of "Battlefield: Final Battle" or something.

I really do not see us getting another row of stages after this is said and done, so I think that, if we are to get more "Bonus" stages, these supposed 2 stages are literally it.

It's kinda funny how 2 completely unnecessary but surprisingly convenient and nice additional random buttons knocked the wind out of a lot of "3rd pass!" speculation in a single blow.

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
As long as we're doing hackjob stage additions... the ability to pick different phases of stages soon? Please? Spirits get to do it. Maybe I want to fight on the ship part of the Paper Mario stage and listen to Rogueport music.

Staarih

Smash Master
Probably posted here already (?), but the next tournament event revolves around fake Smash Balls.
Okay.

I do enjoy the pictures they put up for these though.

D

Deleted member

Probably posted here already (?), but the next tournament event revolves around fake Smash Balls.
Okay.

I think that's also supposed to be a 'Spot the Difference!' picture as well.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I think that's also supposed to be a 'Spot the Difference!' picture as well.
I count 9 differences. Can anyone speak Japanese and tell me how many there are supposed to be?

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Are we back on Pokemon talk?
I'm back on Eevee talk then.
Cant wait til Crowned Tundra shows us a new Eeveelution!!

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam

As much as I appreciate Sakurai, Smash Bros. has gotten massive since being an expected Japan-exclusive throwaway title in 1999.
He doesn't HAVE to be the director of every single installment.
In the event our next Smash game is a deluxe port of Ultimate (which, IMO, is the most likely scenario), I could see Sakurai taking a producer roll and handing off the director to someone else while he directs his own game. I mean, that's what Yabuki did with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and ARMS.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Okay.

Thats cute, its a find the difference picture

whoever makes these pictures must be having fun

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Honestly the one thing I'd really want from a Smash Ultimate Deluxe version is to just go back and properly integrate the DLC stuff into the base game. Give any new series added as DLC assist trophies, give the DLC fighters post-Plant Palutena Guidances, make new challenges based around the new fighters and the new game modes added in since like Homerun Contest, put all the DLC characters on the banner in Classic Mode, etc

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
I'd say the same but:

https://www.siliconera.com/masahiro...ne-after-releasing-the-next-6-dlc-characters/

To be blunt, this game's gone on for... frankly a very long time. By the time that last character drops in 2021, that will mean that Ultimate will have had DLC for 3 whole years, most games can't even dream of that, and Ultimate will almost assuredly still get some balance patches afterwards as well.

Frankly, I'm more than okay with this being the stopping point, especially if we're getting a few free, extra stages as bonus.
Hell, one can technically count Smash 4 + Ultimate as one long development process (as Sakurai did). That's a major anomaly: generally speaking, the games that see 3+ year life spans are live service games: games like GTA, the big MOBAs / BRs / MMOs, and quite a few mobile games. While the live service model has pitfalls (the starting period of any live-service game is a make-or-break, see Crucible), it's potential has got a lot of companies salivating at the potential $$$:

Yes, I know this is somewhat of an outlier - point is, live service is potentially really lucrative for a company for relatively little cost. There's a reason why a lot of open world games have MTX or live-service-esque elements, and a lot of current gen AAA games are designed with live service elements in mind. Especially with very high development costs.

It's very, very difficult to say what Smash 6 will be (and I'm assuming it doesn't start development until late this decade at the earliest), but there's a chance it could be a live-service game. Cuts are very likely to happen anyway - but a live-service game does have the positive of being able to re-add cut veterans in between say newcomers.

That does lead into another problem with live-service games: they're developer intensive. And thus, require entire teams able and willing to commit long term. Don't think Sakurai himself would be all that excited at that idea either, a live service game requires someone like IceFrog. So while the $$$ might sound tantalizing to a company like Nintendo, they come with significant risks if they choose to go down this path in the future.

In the event our next Smash game is a deluxe port of Ultimate (which, IMO, is the most likely scenario), I could see Sakurai taking a producer roll and handing off the director to someone else while he directs his own game. I mean, that's what Yabuki did with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and ARMS.
Yeah, that might be the best option for Nintendo and Sakurai. With an Ultimate DX port they can extend Ultimate's life, give Sakurai more breathing room and let the new director (could one call him / her Sakurai's potential heir?) get some much needed experience with Smash. Smash 6 wouldn't need to be on the next console then either - it'd give them more time to figure out which mechanics to include in a Smash 6 (whether Pokeballs / ATs become selectable assists once per match or something else).

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Yeah, that might be the best option for Nintendo and Sakurai. With an Ultimate DX port they can extend Ultimate's life, give Sakurai more breathing room and let the new director (could one call him / her Sakurai's potential heir?) get some much needed experience with Smash. Smash 6 wouldn't need to be on the next console then either - it'd give them more time to figure out which mechanics to include in a Smash 6 (whether Pokeballs / ATs become selectable assists once per match or something else).
Going to be honest, I think Smash Ultimate kind of spoiled me with all the returning characters and stages that I'd be reluctant to buy the next instalment. I'm already not convinced that Banjo & Kazooie are going to return so they'll have to impress me with some good single player content and cooler stages to keep me hooked to Smash Bros, otherwise I'll just stick to Ultimate. Even then I'd still be on the fence whether I'll buy it or not because I know that not every single character and stage will return.

An Ultimate deluxe sounds like a good thing but wouldn't they have to get the rights to all the characters again to let them appear in an Ultimate deluxe?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
My crazy WoL expansion idea was World of the Four Elements, where some DLC characters would be controlled by beings of Fire, Water, Earth or Air. Probably not gonna happen tho

hero’s trailer had me wanting the possession effects usable outside of WoL. They’re probably waiting for a Galeem themed trailer (Octoling pls, Galeem’s aura can resemble the Sanitized Octarians) and a Final Battle themed trailer (for the full body phantom puppet effect) for that though

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I don't know whether we're getting new stages standalone, three new fighters, or none of the above, but Small Battlefield was a very nice surprise. I hope that eventually they CAN find a way to give it to every stage. I have to wonder if this is a stopgap between our next big character reveal and update, a way to tide us over until then, or if this means the reveals will be slower than normal. I'm not sure.

My ideal scenario is that the three extra stage select spots means three extra characters after this pass, but I doubt it. I hope if they do give us standalone stages we'll get something like a Tetris stage, or maybe a Cuphead, Undertale, or Fallout stage to go with the Mii costumes.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I'd say the same but:

Well, I did say that the echoes could possibly happen between the Fighter Packs as inbetween thing. But if they don’t happen, then I’ll still be happy. Ultimate’s one of my favorite games ever already, everything else is just icing on the cake.

I haven’t seen this quote before:

Masahiro Sakurai: “Holding back new content and adding it makes for poor work if you think about the future. You can keep things going better by releasing bits at a time. And that’s why these six additional characters will be extravagant additions.”

I wonder if the use of extravagant is a literal translation or not. If it’s literal, hopefully that would imply that these are choices that would really excite the fanbase & gamers in general.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
And besides Echos aren't as time-consuming and quick. Is it unlikely? Yes probably but its a possibility as an extra gift for fans rounding out to 90 (92) playable fighters.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Pikmin 3 Deluxe was shadowdropped! The rumor was right

now when’s Xenoblade Chronicles X Definitive Edition

SNEKeater

Smash Master
**** no Metroid Prime Trilogy

But I'm glad for Pikmin fans, they also deserve some news. Maybe I will try Pikmin 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom