• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
So uhhh I know smol battlefield doesn't guarantee that individual stage dlc is happening, but.... can we please get individual stage dlc? I would be the happiest ************ on the planet if we got a gorgeous Celeste stage with that game's soundtrack. Also this is absolutely a pipe-dream, but if we somehow got an Umineko stage with that game's phenomenal soundtrack I would actually die. Tbh getting stage dlc for franchises that couldn't get playable characters for whatever reason would be awesome and I am all for it if they decide to go that route.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Now we just need "Really Small Battlefield" which only has 1 platform and Smash Ultimate will truly be Ultimate.

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I'm currently running around Lindblum looking for these godforsaken potions and we get stages? Like ACTUAL new stages?

Mind you it's just an altered form of an existing stage but still. Can we get stage DLC? Like pretty please with a Phendrana Drifts on top?

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
I'm assuming this update was for competitive play, but I'm not sure what it means for the speculation scene. Just changes the possibility of stage DLC I guess?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
That's impossible. Pac-Maze can't work unless every player has their own screen, and that's not possible with the Switch. Pac-Maze can only function on a traditional handheld console like the 3DS.
Why? Just give each player their own point count.

Ivander

Smash Legend
If any stages come back, the only ones I expect are Planet Zebes and Sector Z due to being from the original Smash Bros. Maybe a stage version of Ancestral Steppes from Rathalos' boss battle due to the area already being in.

Also, the stage music select for the Smash stages is cool and I certainly hope this happens to all stages eventually. Cause some songs just sound weird on their main stage while they would fit on another stage nicely, like Mad Monster Mansion for Luigi's Mansion or some of the ice themes for Summit. Or for old times, Mach Rider on Big Blue or the Fire Emblem medley on Temple.

Edit: OH! And because Midgar and Yggdrasil's Alter could use the additional music to select.

Last edited:

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
I'm assuming this update was for competitive play, but I'm not sure what it means for the speculation scene. Just changes the possibility of stage DLC I guess?
At the very least it shows that they can make bigger than average updates without giving any details beforehand.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Now we just need "Really Small Battlefield" which only has 1 platform and Smash Ultimate will truly be Ultimate.
And "Smallest Battlefield", where there's no platforms at all.

Wait, ****...

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Kind of nice to have a new stage drop at random. I'm definitely overthinking but I'd be curious to see if anything else was changed aside from Smash Bros. stages & the Spring Stadium logo fix. RIP Pokemon Stadium 2/Unova Pokemon League

Planet Zebes - Could work but is somewhat redundant. Then again Dream Land vs. Green Greens
Sector Z - Could work but very redundant
Icicle Mountain - I guess technically it could work, though I'm not sure how best to remaster or if anyone wants this stage back.
Mushroom Kingdom (Melee) - Could work but is somewhat redundant.
Poke Floats - Could work but comes down to how Sakurai/Game Freak view assets. Easy stage to make, but might look awkward in execution.
Mute City - Could work but would require a lot of effort to remaster
Rumble Falls - Could work probably, might be hard to remaster.
Mushroomy Kingdom 1-2 - Would be a nightmare with 8 Players
PictoChat - Could work but redundant
Rainbow Road - Could work but would require a lot of effort to remaster
Pac-Maze - Could work if Sakurai is willing to ditch or edit the individual screen gimmick for the ghosts. Blue Ghosts!
Jungle Hijinxs - No
Pyrosphere - Could maybe work but Ridley
Woolly World - Depends on the soft texture easter egg and maybe 8 players (Fountain of Dream type lag?)
Orbital Gate Assault - Would be a massive headache to work with 8 players
Miiverse - Redundant

Planet Zebes, Sector Z, and Mushroom Kingdom (Melee) I feel have the best shot personally. Nothing is really holding them back I would think other than being somewhat redundant.

Anyway it's kind of nice to not be talking about characters for once. At the very least I'd love to see stages for recent games such as Sword/Shield, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Ring Fit Adventure, etc.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
That's impossible. Pac-Maze can't work unless every player has their own screen, and that's not possible with the Switch. Pac-Maze can only function on a traditional handheld console like the 3DS.
It can easily function without the gimmick. It'd be less interesting, but it would be just as easy to remake. They can just ignore the 3DS screen factor, or give it an online function and an offline function separately.

There's ways around it.

Shroob

Sup?
Okay, so, I'm gonna say it now.

If we're getting free stand-alone stages like this? I'm convinced those extra 4 placeholder DLC spots in World of Light are indeed dead.

Am I jumping to conclusions? 100% yes I am

Am I getting excited over SMOLtlefield? Sadly yes

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Well, if there's one thing this proves, it's that DLC development is still on track. Can't say by how much, but at least they're doing something.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
If we're getting free stand-alone stages like this? I'm convinced those extra 4 placeholder DLC spots in World of Light are indeed dead.
Nothing says we still can't get 4 characters released separately like Piranha Plant

You are probably right though...

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
First, we should at least legalize Small Battlefield, I see no reason so far as to why it would need to get ban plus it means we got another stage that can play track,

Well, if there's one thing this proves, it's that DLC development is still on track. Can't say by how much, but at least they're doing something.
I get the feeling though we are gonna have to wait a bit longer for FP7 to be revealed, I get the feeling it won't happen this month.

Mr. Game + Watch

Smash Apprentice
And "Smallest Battlefield", where there's no platforms at all.

Wait, ****...
Or better yet make it where every stage in the game can have small and big battlefield forms and also for the third one they can give every stage a great cave offensive version. :ultpacman:
(Pac-Man one is for making a joke right?)

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Nothing says we still can't get 4 characters released separately like Piranha Plant

You are probably right though...
once again tho, i need someone to try looking at the SSS screen with rules on, as that's when that one button shows up. just need to check something

also nothing's stopping them from adding another stage row at any time

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
found a pretty easy game crash with the Battlefield/FD music selection

Open the music on Battlefield/FD.

Play any song other than the current menu theme,

then press Y over "play random from all songs" which will make everything silent. Then press A over it

After which, select whatever stage you selected the music on, then proceed to the character select theme.

Automatic crash

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
So uhhh I know smol battlefield doesn't guarantee that individual stage dlc is happening, but.... can we please get individual stage dlc? I would be the happiest ************ on the planet if we got a gorgeous Celeste stage with that game's soundtrack. Also this is absolutely a pipe-dream, but if we somehow got an Umineko stage with that game's phenomenal soundtrack I would actually die. Tbh getting stage dlc for franchises that couldn't get playable characters for whatever reason would be awesome and I am all for it if they decide to go that route.
Hell yeah I would do anything to get Umineko music in the game.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
once again tho, i need someone to try looking at the SSS screen with rules on, as that's when that one button shows up. just need to check something

also nothing's stopping them from adding another stage row at any time
Is this what you were talking about?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
found a pretty easy game crash with the Battlefield/FD music selection

Open the music on Battlefield/FD.

Play any song other than the current menu theme,

then press Y over "play random from all songs" which will make everything silent. The press it.

After which, select whatever stage you selected the music on, then proceed to the character select theme.

Automatic crash
welp they're gonna have to patch that already

Hell yeah I would do anything to get Umineko music in the game.

not dreamenddischarger/10

Is this what you were talking about?
yes that

there are 9 spaces with that view once that button is pushed to the end, so the 4 extra WoL slots still stands

Last edited:

PLANTMAN

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
3314-3608-8898
Ring a ding playing on final destination during evo grand finals is a reality now

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Okay, so, I'm gonna say it now.

Am I jumping to conclusions? 100% yes I am

Am I getting excited over SMOLtlefield? Sadly yes
TBH getting anything more outside of Pass 2 was a longshot IMO.

I'm still floored that we even got a full second pass along with an extra sixth character in it. Nintendo is usually pretty dang conservative with paid DLC.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
welp they're gonna have to patch that already

not dreamenddischarger/10

yes that

there are 9 spaces with that view once that button is pushed to the end, so the 4 extra WoL slots still stands
It can

But now we also see they're not opposed to just throwing in brand new stages.

Back then, people were confused why there'd be 5 empty spaces but only 4 WoL spots on the SSS after Pass 2 is done, now we see that they're possibly just going to add new stages whenever they want.

It's schrodinger's slots.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
It can

But now we also see they're not opposed to just throwing in brand new stages.

Back then, people were confused why there'd be 5 empty spaces but only 4 WoL spots on the SSS after Pass 2 is done, now we see that they're possibly just going to add new stages whenever they want.

It's schrodinger's slots.
maybe Small Battlefield was just the exception, not the rule

at least, i hope so

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
EDIT: The Stage Select Screen looks really ugly with the 2 new random options
Glad I'm not the only one that thinks this, it is such an unnecessary addition and it looks awful. They won't change it though.

Also Environmental Noises on Final Destination is ****ing terrifying, try it to see what I mean.

Shroob

Sup?
maybe Small Battlefield was just the exception, not the rule

at least, i hope so
Pretty much, if they add another stage, unless these 4 supposed characters are like Plant with no stage, which I personally doubt they'd do, since Plant was meant for base game and we barely got any new base game stages to speak of, I'd consider them dead in the water personally.

That, and as pointed out to me, at least as of now, Sakurai said that the DLC is donion rings after this wave.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Pretty much, if they add another stage, unless these 4 supposed characters are like Plant with no stage, which I personally doubt they'd do, since Plant was meant for base game and we barely got any new base game stages to speak of, I'd consider them dead in the water personally.

That, and as pointed out to me, at least as of now, Sakurai said that the DLC is donion rings after this wave.
tbf if they do fill the last 4 as individuals a la PP and not a pass model, that is one way random individual stages and new characters could both be true

characters that likely fit this bill: Bandana Dee, Dixie Kong, almost anyone from an already repped series. basically no new IPs or new third parties

Shroob

Sup?
tbf if they do fill the last 4 as individuals a la PP and not a pass model, that is one way random individual stages and new characters could both be true

characters that likely fit this bill: Bandana Dee, Dixie Kong, almost anyone from an already repped series. basically no new IPs or new third parties
I get that, but I'm keeping my expectations low for anything post this.

Seems a bit careless to think ahead when we're still on FP2-1 in terms of release, and the pass doesn't end for another assumed 15~ months or so.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Sakurai already said that continuous development is ending after FP2. I know some people will try to spin it as if it's possible we'd still get more characters after, but all we're likely to get post FP11 is patches.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Glad I'm not the only one that thinks this, it is such an unnecessary addition and it looks awful. They won't change it though.

Also Environmental Noises on Final Destination is ****ing terrifying, try it to see what I mean.
I did it immediately.

Thoughts: "Where did the bugs come from?"

Man, playing final destination with Live and Learn is hype
Oooh I bet Aria of the Soul is even better. I must go check this!

EDIT: IT IS!!!

Last edited:
Well now, this update was a plesant suprise.

Can't say I expected a brand new stage out of nowhere, much less while FP2 is ongoing. but hell, "Small Battlefield" looks cool. And the fact that they can just causually drop a new bonus stage in an independent update with no forewarning is pretty cool.

Do you think they'll release any more "bonus" stages like this? Personally, I'm hoping they bring back at least a few of the past stages that didn't make it in Ultimate (like Rainbow Road and Mute City), but IDK if they'll actually do that. Though I'd really go ape**** if I woke up one day, saw a random update number, and the patch notes said "Metal Crystal has been added to the game." That would be some dope ****.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom