• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Jesus Christ, Nintendo subsidiaries dropping left and right. They really ought to start managing them better, Zip Lash as a commercial product is absurd.
To be fair, Nintendo didn't own Skip. Although this news makes me wonder if Nintendo should start buying out more studios just to be safe...

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
It'd be nice if they could make some more new IPs though. They've been a little sluggish on that ever since the Switch launched.
Or take a chance on some older IPs. They're not all gonna end up like Kid Icarus: Uprising but there are definitely some great ideas to be explored there.

Cellphones being the big boogeyman over at gamefreak which caused them to put less effort into their games never stops being annoying to me.

It's like they think all people do is stick to their phones all day.
It's literally the reason they've stated as to why the games are easy. They have no faith in kids sticking with their games instead of giving up and playing Fortnite or whatever.

Which is ironic because competitive multiplayer games are much harder than most single player games and Gacha games are literally designed to be impossible without waiting forever or spending a bunch of money and also they seem to be pushing their competitive multiplayer stuff harder as well.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Oppossum's blocking practices may be a bit more extreme than other peoples' but they're not unreasonable. No one should really be trying to roast him for it.
I mean he's free to block anyone for whatever reason he wants...just like I'm free to make a comment on it.

I personally never understood the need for people to announce they are blocking someone. Like, just block them and move on.

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
Remember when Atlus made a ton of great PS2 games, probably their best era, and once 7th gen came in they were like "yea nawwww" and took a long ass vacation and released a couple handheld games on the side lol

Catherine was basically them testing the waters again. Persona 5 was them getting comfortable.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Or take a chance on some older IPs. They're not all gonna end up like Kid Icarus: Uprising but there are definitely some great ideas to be explored there.

It's literally the reason they've stated as to why the games are easy. They have no faith in kids sticking with their games instead of giving up and playing Fortnite or whatever.

Which is ironic because competitive multiplayer games are much harder than most single player games and Gacha games are literally designed to be impossible without waiting forever or spending a bunch of money and also they seem to be pushing their competitive multiplayer stuff harder as well.
I hate this because it's legitimate bull****.

The Pokemon series was never hard, it's an entry level RPG after all, but it was still difficult enough to be fun. Removing whatever difficulty the series had just made it boring. Especially with all the hand holding.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I get the feeling there might not be anything tonight because of the server maintenance.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I see people are discussing the idea of another Three Houses rep. Here are my thoughts on that:

*Ahem*

Dimitri.

That is all. This post was brought to you by Blue Lions gang. :dr^_^:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
To be fair, Nintendo didn't own Skip. Although this news makes me wonder if Nintendo should start buying out more studios just to be safe...
I have to imagine part of the reason Nintendo doesn't actually own too many external studios is it eliminates the need for them to be kept afloat off Nintendo's dollar if they're in dire circumstances. They're easy to jettison from Nintendo's perspective, and partnerships and exclusive development deals largely accomplish the same thing software-wise.

I mean Nintendo has had to keep Retro salaried and looked after, by the time MP4 actually comes out, probably close to ten years without an actual completely new title released, because they're a fully-owned subsidiary. I imagine that's the kind of thing they want to avoid.

As a fan I'd love Nintendo to acquire a wider, more diverse swath of talent. Especially when it comes to western devs making western-skewing content, because Nintendo is historically weak in that area. But that's not really their MO. Think about it, what was the last studio they outright acquired? Monolith? And that was like fifteen years ago.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Nah fam

I’m about to blow y’all’s mind

Claude.

*drops mic*

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I see people are discussing the idea of another Three Houses rep. Here are my thoughts on that:

*Ahem*

Dimitri.

That is all. This post was brought to you by Blue Lions gang. :dr^_^:
Well now I've gotta complete the trifecta and advocate for Clau-

Nah fam

I’m about to blow y’all’s mind

Claude.

*drops mic*
Never mind. Balance has already been restored.

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
It doesn’t matter if we get another Three Houses rep. What does matter is that if we do, it will disable one of Byleth’s weapons by playing them.
For example, if you choose to play Edelgard, and your opponent is Byleth, they can’t use down smash, dair, down b, etc.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
Here's everything from the update.

https://www-aaaba-lp1-hac.cdn.nintendo.net/en-US/fbaa2e35/index.html?

◯ Stage
・ The Small Battlefield stage has been added. You can also set Small Battlefield as a Preferred Rule in Online battles.

・ You can now select any stage-specific music for the Battlefield, Small Battlefield, Big Battlefield, and Final Destination stages.

◯ Online
・ The online user experience has been adjusted.

・ The way matching is determined when using Preferred Rules has been adjusted.

・ Following a look at the current number of players eligible for Elite Smash, the threshold for entry has been recalculated to allow more players. Additionally, the way initial values for Global Smash Power are calculated has also been adjusted.

Further investigations and adjustments to Online mode are expected.

◯ General
・ Several issues have been fixed to improve gameplay experience.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
With Byleth and Min Min getting in a first party is much less surprising than before, but it appears that all first party picks will be promotional in nature.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
never played fire emblem but Eldegard is the one with the axe right? Amyr is my favorite part of Byleth's kit so if Eldegard got added and her entire kit was Amyr I'd be down for her
Aymr is the axe, yes. I'd imagine if, somehow and against all odds, Edelgard got into Smash as a fighter, her playstyle would focus on Aymr's special ability which Byleth doesn't use: Raging Storm.

Edelgard's canonically an armored unit after the timeskip, and even her spirit in Smash plays off of this. As such you could reasonably assume she'd be a heavyweight in Smash, and probably be a bit slow. This is where Raging Storm comes in. In Three Houses, this allowed her to chain together attacks and increase her movement range by landing continuous blows on the enemy. In Smash, this could be represented by Edelgard's moves being slow at first, but if they connect, she can chain together big, heavy hits to really punish the opponent for letting her get in. Like, decreasing startup and endlag on moves that come out after hitting the opponent once. That kind of thing.

I just think that could be really fun.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
It doesn’t matter if we get another Three Houses rep. What does matter is that if we do, it will disable one of Byleth’s weapons by playing them.
For example, if you choose to play Edelgard, and your opponent is Byleth, they can’t use down smash, dair, down b, etc.
If Robin can summon Chrom to fight Chrom, then they can have two characters use the same weapon. (heck, they technically already do that with Link and Toon Link)

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
If Robin can summon Chrom to fight Chrom, then they can have two characters use the same weapon. (heck, they technically already do that with Link and Toon Link)
Nah, I just think it’d be funny.
This actually isn't a ****post, though. 8.1.0 dropped, and there's an actual new stage
WTFFFF SMALL BATTLEFIELD?? NO YOURE KIDDING I DONT BELIEVE IT WTF

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Small battlefield might be the funniest thing

EDIT: The Stage Select Screen looks really ugly with the 2 new random options

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I wonder why they decided that it would be a good idea to add a third variant of Battlefield.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Here's everything from the update.

https://www-aaaba-lp1-hac.cdn.nintendo.net/en-US/fbaa2e35/index.html?

◯ Stage
・ The Small Battlefield stage has been added. You can also set Small Battlefield as a Preferred Rule in Online battles.

・ You can now select any stage-specific music for the Battlefield, Small Battlefield, Big Battlefield, and Final Destination stages.

◯ Online
・ The online user experience has been adjusted.

・ The way matching is determined when using Preferred Rules has been adjusted.

・ Following a look at the current number of players eligible for Elite Smash, the threshold for entry has been recalculated to allow more players. Additionally, the way initial values for Global Smash Power are calculated has also been adjusted.

Further investigations and adjustments to Online mode are expected.

◯ General
・ Several issues have been fixed to improve gameplay experience.
Small Battlefield? free stage w/o a character? that's...cool i guess

but can you please, please, FREAKIN PLEASE MAKE THIS A PERMANENT FEATURE OUTSIDE OF WOL:
1.png

2.png

3.png

and the Galeem counterparts (same as these basically but light blue instead of red) PLEASE I BEEN WANTING THIS TO BE AN ACTUAL THING SINCE HERO'S TRAILER

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Can't believe Guile's theme can actually go with everything now

Sorta... I guess...

Last edited:
Status