• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
A Bravely Default character is one of those inclusion that would make sense (especially given its a genuinely well liked series that's been exclusive to the 3DS and now Switch) and yet would probably get a heck of a backlash for the crime of being a Square Enix fighter that wasn't 2B, Lara Croft, Geno, or another Final Fantasy character.

"Here you go, someone from a recent popular JRPG with a real history with Nintendo!"

"...So you have chosen death."

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
Bravely Default would be nice for a spirit event and maybe a mii costume. Would love some OST being included (same for Octopath Traveller).

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I think Sol Badguy has a good chance to appear in the second pass. Strive is a new game releasing next year and it already attracted a ton of hype and interest, it's one of the biggest fighting games people are looking forward to. At this point it's hard to argue against GG being the flagship IP of ArcSys, if a character comes from that company it will most likely be from GG. Not to mention we already have ArcSys involved in Smash thanks to the Kunio-kun spirits but they don't have a playable character. It's similair to Koei Tecmo which is involved in Smash but has no playable fighter.

I've said before that fighting game characters are the most unique in Smash with how they play around Smash's controls and introduce fighting game mechanics to Smash. Sol would be no stranger to this since he can implement even more fighting game mechanics like air dashes, dragon install, or even a bloody meter.

With Heihachi dead (RIP :(), I see Sol as the most likely fighting game character to be included to Smash Bros and since ArcSys is already involved with Smash there's literally nothing holding them back. Guilty Gear is the definitive face of anime fighting games and has a long ass legacy to their resume. Due to the hype garnered for Strive, ArcSys being involved in Smash, and GG's legacy, I see Sol having a really good chance as one of the next DLC fighters.
What a beatiful post.

I do feel that he's arguably the most likely candidate from fighting games:

- Heihachi and Tekken are deconfirmed as a whole for Pass 2, which for a lot of people, including me, seemed like the most logical and likely option for the genre.

- Mortal Kombat. Not gonna say it's banned on Japan, because that isn't true, but certainly the series is barely popular over there. I do think they could tone down Scorpion, but maybe it wouldn't be easy.

- Killer Instict character. Similar case to MK, plus honestly, I strongly doubt we would get a KI rep despite of being a cool option, as our second Microsoft rep. I feel other Rare properties, besides Chief and Steve, are in a better position than KI.

- Soul Calibur. I feel SC has better chances that the 2 previous options, but if we couldn't get a Tekken rep, I don't think SC is in a better position, because I don't see us getting Soul Calibur before Tekken.

- Blazblue. The series is, as far as I know, a bit more popular than Guilty Gear in Japan, which could play a role, but GG has more fans outside there. ArcSys getting a character would be already surprising to an extent, so Blazblue doesn't sound impossible. But with Guilty Gear being an older series with more legacy,, that could hurt Ragna's chances. Probably it's because I'm biased but I have a hard time seeing Blazblue getting in instead of Guilty Gear, assuming we get an ArcSys rep.

Then there's Amingo from MvC which is arguably the greatest pick we could get. But besides him, I think Guilty Gear is in a nice position. Of course, being in a good position won't determine if a character gets it or not, I mean, I'd be still super surprised if somehow GG manages to get a character,, but with the information and the things we have and we know so far, this is more or less what I think about the series in relation to Smash.

RaintheCriminalWhirlwind

Smash Journeyman
What a beatiful post.

I do feel that he's arguably the most likely candidate from fighting games:

- Heihachi and Tekken are deconfirmed as a whole for Pass 2, which for a lot of people, including me, seemed like the most logical and likely option for the genre.

- Mortal Kombat. Not gonna say it's banned on Japan, because that isn't true, but certainly the series is barely popular over there. I do think they could tone down Scorpion, but maybe it wouldn't be easy.

- Killer Instict character. Similar case to MK, plus honestly, I strongly doubt we would get a KI rep despite of being a cool option, as our second Microsoft rep. I feel other Rare properties, besides Chief and Steve, are in a better position than KI.

- Soul Calibur. I feel SC has better chances that the 2 previous options, but if we couldn't get a Tekken rep, I don't think SC is in a better position, because I don't see us getting Soul Calibur before Tekken.

- Blazblue. The series is, as far as I know, a bit more popular than Guilty Gear in Japan, which could play a role, but GG has more fans outside there. ArcSys getting a character would be already surprising to an extent, so Blazblue doesn't sound impossible. But with Guilty Gear being an older series with more legacy,, that could hurt Ragna's chances. Probably it's because I'm biased but I have a hard time seeing Blazblue getting in instead of Guilty Gear, assuming we get an ArcSys rep.

Then there's Amingo from MvC which is arguably the greatest pick we could get. But besides him, I think Guilty Gear is in a nice position. Of course, being in a good position won't determine if a character gets it or not, I mean, I'd be still super surprised if somehow GG manages to get a character,, but with the information and the things we have and we know so far, this is more or less what I think about the series in relation to Smash.
Honestly, I could see Kitana, Scorpion, Sub-Zero OR Cassie Cage being The MK rep.

Knightmare/Siegfried would be perfect.

if KI ever got a rep, Jago and maybe Orchid would be a good rep.

I could see Guilty Gear in way more than BB honestly and any character from GG would be good but Sol would be the guy

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Not to mention we already have ArcSys involved in Smash thanks to the Kunio-kun spirits but they don't have a playable character.
See, that's kinda why I actually doubt Sol being in.

I personally just don't think that, if ArcSys was getting a character, they would of given away their involvement away with the Kunio spirits. It'd be like if before Banjo & Kazooie got announced, Nintendo did a Perfect Dark or Minecraft spirit event. Alternatively it'd be like if we had gotten those Mana spirits before Cloud and Hero were included. I just don't see them telegraphing guest characters like that.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I do think we're getting another character from a fighting game franchise. One character I think people are sleeping on is Yoshimitsu , because he's from both Tekken and Soul Calibur. Could be the ideal Namco character in this regard, using bits of the moveset of both Tekken and Soul Calibur even.

Also still think Monster Hunter is in the running.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Hey so... found this on twitter. Make of it what you will

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master

Points for making it sound more nuanced than the usual fake leak wish fulfillment, but this is just below vague statements from HotGirlVideos69 in terms of credibility.

Last edited:

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Link has to get his salty runback at some point, man.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Call me crazy but I think the Metroid spinoff sounds fake as hell, especially when credible rumours suggest Metroid 5's been in the works spreading around a year ago, why ditch that and work on a spin off considering the backlash Metroid fans gave to the spinoff and the praise to Samus Returns?

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Then there's Amingo from MvC which is arguably the greatest pick we could get.

Ever had an old game series in your life where you just go "I don't even care what the future holds, I just want a rerelease of this"?

That's pretty much how I've been feeling for MvC2 these past few years. And also TTYD, but that's beside the point.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Found this on Twitter if anyone is bored.

Here is mine.

Fighter pass 2 wishlist with Min Min challenge 1.png

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
See, that's kinda why I actually doubt Sol being in.

I personally just don't think that, if ArcSys was getting a character, they would of given away their involvement away with the Kunio spirits. It'd be like if before Banjo & Kazooie got announced, Nintendo did a Perfect Dark or Minecraft spirit event. Alternatively it'd be like if we had gotten those Mana spirits before Cloud and Hero were included. I just don't see them telegraphing guest characters like that.
tbf we had Platinum get involved with Smash bros back in 4 what with wonder red getting a trophy, and what do you know we got Bayonetta as a DLC character later on. Granted there were a lot of different factors back then like the ballot and what not but my point is that this doesn't really harm the chances of Sol Badguy.

But if you want a better example then back in the final direct for the base game of Ultimate we got a peak at Tsubasa from Tokyo Mirage as a spirit in the game, which showed Atlus was involved in Smash Bros.

Remember this? This was right in the final direct, before Joker even got revealed. Had they really cared about not spoiling the involvement of another company they wouldn't have put Tsubasa in the direct like that.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
tbf we had Platinum get involved with Smash bros back in 4 what with wonder red getting a trophy, and what do you know we got Bayonetta as a DLC character later on. Granted there were a lot of different factors back then like the ballot and what not but my point is that this doesn't really harm the chances of Sol Badguy.

But if you want a better example then back in the final direct for the base game of Ultimate we got a peak at Tsubasa from Tokyo Mirage as a spirit in the game, which showed Atlus was involved in Smash Bros.

Remember this? This was right in the final direct, before Joker even got revealed. Had they really cared about not spoiling the involvement of another company they wouldn't have put Tsubasa in the direct like that.
I think Wonderful 101 and Tokyo Mirage Sessions are a different case entirely because those are Nintendo published games that are also co-owned by them (at least W101 is, or was).

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I’m still surprised they didn’t make spirits of Itsuki, Kiria and the others

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887
Here’s a little game.
Of your most wanted characters, what is their most likely form of representation in Ultimate? Character, Mii Outfit, Assist Trophy, or Spirit Event?
Here’s mine.
Phoenix Wright- Character
Chell- Spirit Event
Neku Sakuraba- Mii Outfit
Saki Amamiya- already spirit and mii, but he’s been an assist trophy, so I’d say that
Steve- Character
Waluigi- there’s an obvious joke here I’m not going to make
Makoto Yuki- already Mii, probably gonna stay there
Asriel- Spirit event

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Here’s a little game.
Of your most wanted characters, what is their most likely form of representation in Ultimate? Character, Mii Outfit, Assist Trophy, or Spirit Event?
Here’s mine.
Phoenix Wright- Character
Chell- Spirit Event
Neku Sakuraba- Mii Outfit
Saki Amamiya- already spirit and mii, but he’s been an assist trophy, so I’d say that
Steve- Character
Waluigi- there’s an obvious joke here I’m not going to make
Makoto Yuki- already Mii, probably gonna stay there
Asriel- Spirit event
Elma - Character
Neku - Character
Monokuma - Mii
Octoling - Character, otherwise Mii
KOS-MOS - could go either way
Dante - Premium Mii (Devil Trigger as a song or GTFO)
Black Shadow - ...sobs

zeldasmash

Smash Lord

Here is mine.

View attachment 281151
Capcom Rep: Dante
Bandai Namco Rep: Lloyd
Nintendo Rep: I honestly don't know. Maybe Urshifu.
Shocking Rep from New Company: Kratos
Expected Rep from New Company: Crash or maybe Sol Badguy (not sure if Chief counts as one due to Banjo)

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Here is mine.

View attachment 281151
Capcom: Either Phoenix or Dante
Namco: KOS-MOS
Nintendo: Elma
Unexpected new third party: Ryza
Expected new third party: Crash

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Aside from showing us they're willing to work with Nintendo, I don't think a company being involved with Smash through something like Spirits really hurts or helps the odds of getting a character from that company.

Look at Ubisoft. It was involved even back in Smash 4. In Ultimate, we have Rayman Spirits and Rabbids and Assassin's Creed Mii costumes. No character.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Aside from showing us they're willing to work with Nintendo, I don't think a company being involved with Smash really hurts or helps the odds of getting a character from that company.

Look at Ubisoft. It was involved even back in Smash 4. In Ultimate, we have Rayman Spirits, a Bomberman AT, and Rabbids and Assassin's Creed Mii costumes. No character.
Bomberman's Hudson/Konami, not Ubisoft

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I was gonna say “because nobody has heard of it” but apparently it has sold more than starfox...
wtf is this???
Argonaut Games helped Nintendo develop the Super FX chip for Star Fox. Then Argonaut said "okay we helped you out, we have a cool idea for a Yoshi game if you don't mind." Nintendo said "no." Like Philips, Argonaut said "alright then piss off Nintendo we'll make our own game" and found no success.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom